Superthread for Disneyland Resort Closure and Reopening, 3/14/20 - 7/17/20: Please Post All Relevant Questions and Information Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said, we should make no effort, I said closing things is the WRONG effort. There are many other choices that could have been made from reducing capacity to increasing cleaning to closing certain high risk attractions, for example the Finding Nemo Subs probably would have need to be closed if the parks had remained open.

Also, The reality is the vast majority of people who get sick won't need to be hospitalized and closing everything for a few weeks isn't going to reduce anything, just increase homelessness and disease in the long run and MORE people will die and be hospitalized over the long run than if we let this run its course. Yes, it will be different people, in this case we have younger, healthier people not needing to be hospitalized, getting sick and dying. We will also be seeing increased suicide rates. There are no perfect answers, but what they came up with is definitely the wrong one.

Do you have even a single dataset or study you can point to in order to back up this wildly wrong speculation? Because I can point to a whole lot about how social distancing and flattening the curve so that hospitals aren't overwhelmed all at once saves more lives than just letting people gather in large groups like normal, to watch parades, etc. Just compare the results of the 1918 flu epidemic in Philadelphia, which held its St. Paddy's parade, to St. Louis, which didn't. (Hint: A LOT more people died in Philly)

It sucks that Disney had to do this for public health and safety. I was really looking forward to my cruise in October, and it will probably be canceled. But other people's lives, (yes, even old people's lives) matter more than my vacation.

Do you have even a single dataset or study you can point to in order to back up this wildly wrong speculation? Because I can point to a whole lot about how social distancing and flattening the curve so that hospitals aren't overwhelmed all at once saves more lives than just letting people gather in large groups like normal, to watch parades, etc. Just compare the results of the 1918 flu epidemic in Philadelphia, which held its St. Paddy's parade, to St. Louis, which didn't. (Hint: A LOT more people died in Philly)

It sucks that Disney had to do this for public health and safety. I was really looking forward to my cruise in October, and it will probably be canceled. But other people's lives, (yes, even old people's lives) matter more than my vacation.
Well said, there seems to be many opinions here but most are lite on facts and there are many unknowns at this point as well. Besides that this tread is supposed to be about questions and information.

There are people of the opinion that people losing money, cancelling events, and a national recession is more of an issue than death.

I don’t subscribe to that idea, but it’s an opinion that’s out there.

Agencies inside the US gov’t value a life at $7-9M per life, so that’s part of the calculus as well.

What type of pass do you have? We have Flex Pass and it hasn't changed yet.
Signature +, but it might have something to do with the fact that mine expires during the closure. It's original expiration was March 30. Now it's April 30. So that's 45 days?

I have a signature pass and my gf has a deluxe pass and neither of them have their dates extended. Still 4/23/2020

I have a signature pass and my gf has a deluxe pass and neither of them have their dates extended. Still 4/23/2020

We have four passes in our family. Three different levels. Three different expiration dates. Only our passes with expiration dates during the current projected closure have been extended. I suspect they may choose only to extend passes that expire during the closure until they reopen. Then they can extend the remaining APs appropriately based on the actual length of the closure.

The CDC has posted new guidelines today.

They recommend that for the next 8 weeks, organizers (whether groups or individuals) cancel or postpone in-person events that consist of 50 people or more throughout the United States.

This recommendation does not apply to the day to day operation of organizations such as schools, institutes of higher learning, or businesses. This recommendation is made in an attempt to reduce introduction of the virus into new communities and to slow the spread of infection in communities already affected by the virus. This recommendation is not intended to supersede the advice of local public health officials.

It's rather unfortunate that this virus does not target those who find it to be no big deal, and spare those of us who are rightfully taking precautions.

I have thought this so many times the last few days.... Then immediately asked for forgiveness! 🤦‍♀️ I don’t wish it on anyone, but some of these idiotic comments just make me crazy. It’s very very frustrating.

You

They recommend that for the next 8 weeks, organizers (whether groups or individuals) cancel or postpone in-person events that consist of 50 people or more throughout the United States.

This recommendation does not apply to the day to day operation of organizations such as schools, institutes of higher learning, or businesses. This recommendation is made in an attempt to reduce introduction of the virus into new communities and to slow the spread of infection in communities already affected by the virus. This recommendation is not intended to supersede the advice of local public health officials.
You mean they're allowing only 50 people in the park if it opens?

Unfortunately this has a huge possibility to affect my work :(. Or at least my work is planning for the possibility this could include us as is I think all other Bay Area theatres. If it does, this 8 week hiatus would likely have us cancelling our first show of the season.

We'll see. Times like these I really wish I could simply just read the last chapter like I do with books before I start reading from the beginning. Being able to shift focus to future Disney trips and minor things like AP extensions is what's keeping me sane right now when the rest gets overwhelming.

I’ve always assumed it’s because the banned site will post the barest thread of rumor, conjecture or park related gossip in a way that appears to be more official “news” than it really is.
Sometimes they’re things that can really stir the pot.

I still read stuff from the banned site but definitely take it with a grain...nay, a pile...of salt.

Anyway, if you google crane toontown railway you will get the “article” (wherein they made a full news post that things were proceeding as planned on Runaway Railway in Toontown and construction/refurbs would continue during the park closure based on some photographs of cranes being moved into the area on the last day the park was open).

ETA: Sorry if this post seems random. It was part of another thread that got merged in here but most of the other thread is on the previous page and I didn't quote the original post so now it seems a bit out of context...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter