Southern California and Disneyland Adventure

follow-up question: if the trip doesn't get 20 people, is it cancelled?
Yes, if it's under the minimum. It will usually happen 4 to 6 months from the start date. I think the exact number varies by trip and is around 20.

Side note: As trips started again after covid, Disney made the decision to run them even if they didn't hit the minimum, but I expect this to end soon,

follow-up question: if the trip doesn't get 20 people, is it cancelled?
Yes, if it's under the minimum. It will usually happen 4 to 6 months from the start date. I think the exact number varies by trip and is around 20.

Side note: As trips started again after covid, Disney made the decision to run them even if they didn't hit the minimum, but I expect this to end soon,
This is not necessarily true. Many trips have been known to go with far less than 20 people. I've done trips with 14 and 18 people. These days, if the trip goes with less people, you may only have one Adventure Guide. I've seen multiple people report going with less than 20. Nobody really knows what the "magic number" is to get a trip cancelled. It really seems to depend on the trip, and be decided on a case-by-case basis.

Sayhello

oh ok... my trip still has vacancies as it is still available for booking.
Have you ever heard of any trip cancellations not due to COVID?

This is not necessarily true. Many trips have been known to go with less than 20 people. I've done trips with 14 and 18 people. These days, if the trip goes with less people, you may only have one Adventure Guide. I've seen multiple people report going with less than 20. Nobody really knows what the "magic number" is to get a trip cancelled. It really seems to depend on the trip, and be decided on a case-by-case basis.

Sayhello
Ok i'll hope for the best. At least there are 7 of us already on the trip.

oh ok... my trip still has vacancies as it is still available for booking.
Have you ever heard of any trip cancellations not due to COVID?
It does happen, but not frequently. There were a bunch of trips cancelled in 2009 due to the economy tanking, but besides that, we do have reports of one or two a year that get cancelled for various reasons. My May trip to Portugal was just cancelled a few months ago. They *said* it was due to lack of people, but it had been sold out since last May, so I find that a little hard to believe, but who knows.

Sayhello

It does happen, but not frequently. There were a bunch of trips cancelled in 2009 due to the economy tanking, but besides that, we do have reports of one or two a year that get cancelled for various reasons. My May trip to Portugal was just cancelled a few months ago. They *said* it was due to lack of people, but it had been sold out since last May, so I find that a little hard to believe, but who knows.

Sayhello
Perhaps there was a large group that canceled. On our Danube river cruise, a TA had a large group that was half the guests.

This is our first ABD. We went ahead and added the extra night at the end at the Grand Californian, and are now kicking around adding another night as well. We are DVC owners. If I could somehow miraculously snag the two nights with my DVC points, would we still be able to use ABD transportation back to the airport? And, since I had already added a night through ABD, would they let me cancel that or is that a done deal?

This is our first ABD. We went ahead and added the extra night at the end at the Grand Californian, and are now kicking around adding another night as well. We are DVC owners. If I could somehow miraculously snag the two nights with my DVC points, would we still be able to use ABD transportation back to the airport? And, since I had already added a night through ABD, would they let me cancel that or is that a done deal?
I don’t know the answer to your questions, but wanted to tell you our thoughts on the add on stay at the end. We added the last day since we had a ticket, and thought that we had plenty of time for the two parks between that and the ABD trip, since they had given us a fair number of lightning lanes. If you plan to enjoy the resort and Disney Springs or somewhere else in the area, then you might want the added second day. Just my 2 cents.

I don’t know the answer to your questions, but wanted to tell you our thoughts on the add on stay at the end. We added the last day since we had a ticket, and thought that we had plenty of time for the two parks between that and the ABD trip, since they had given us a fair number of lightning lanes. If you plan to enjoy the resort and Disney Springs or somewhere else in the area, then you might want the added second day. Just my 2 cents.
Thank you! We were assuming the same, but the more I thought about it, I really started to question if that would really give us any time at the resort or Downtown Disney. Thanks for reaffirming what we suspected!

Yes for the transportation, not sure about the cancellation of the post-night. My guess is that if it's before final payment date then you're good, but after that they might not give a full refund.

Unless they have changed the policy really recently, the post-day through ABD is refundable until Paid in Full.

Sayhello

I was able to get 2 dvc nights at the grand For my summer 2023 trip. I told my TA my start and ending nights, and ABD indicated that transportation will be provided by them.

I had to waitlist the dvc, but a day later it was good to go.
i have been told that you can always cancel a pre or post night up to pay in full.

On a similar note, if I book 2 nights at Loews on the front end directly through Loews, will I still be able to use ABD transportation from airport to Loews? This worked when I took same adventure several years ago, but for some reason I thought this policy has changed.

On a similar note, if I book 2 nights at Loews on the front end directly through Loews, will I still be able to use ABD transportation from airport to Loews? This worked when I took same adventure several years ago, but for some reason I thought this policy has changed.
Would like to know also. I only booked through the TA because I thought that's how I could get transportation.

Would like to know also. I only booked through the TA because I thought that's how I could get transportation.
As per what my TA from Dreams unlimited has told me, you can only benefit from transportation if you book with ABD or if you book extra nights at a Disney hotel.

We are extending 2 nights at Disneyland hotel and we will have our luggage transferred from Grand Californian and we will also have transportation back to the airport

Yes, because you are staying at the same hotel. The only way you would have trouble is if you used a different hotel around LA.

Actually for just this trip, Disney will also offer a transfer from a Disneyland resort to the Lowe's hotel, if you'd like to do pre-nights there. Getting from the airport to those hotels would be on your own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!