So - no giant cupcake in Worlds of Marvel?

So how do they handle in California where they actually DO do this?
The restaurant in CA does not claim to make a cupcake huge right in front of your eyes like the cruise ad did. You go in already knowing that the food will be either big or small and it is already made that way. Or do you actually think that they make it grow right in front of your eyes? At CA, people are paying extra for these huge portions. It is not practical to give thousands of people on a cruise ship a giant cupcake. For one, they don't have the space, and for 2, it would be a huge waste of food. I am really not understand your point. Are you saying that they should have thousands of giant, child sized cupcakes to serve people?

Last edited:
I cannot believe that adults are actually boo hooing about the size of a cupcake that they imagined they might be getting from a commercial on TV. In this world if that’s your biggest complaint, you must truly live a charmed and imaginary life.
Its not about a cup cake. I have no interest in a small cup cake let alone a big one. Its about fraudulent advertising. They suggested they had a little bit of wonder in the dinner. Something to do with unusual sizes of food that would interest the kids. They have produced nothing. Zip. They have said this show is about technology. It appears there is no technology at all. They make you push a button that does nothing,

Last edited:

Its not about a cup cake. I have no interest in a small cup cake let alone a big one. Its about fraudulent advertising. They suggested they had a little bit of wonder in the dinner. Something to do with unusual sizes of food that would interest the kids. They have produced nothing. Zip. They have said this show is about technology. It appears there is no technology at all. They make you push a button that does nothing,
I saw the ad too and automatically thought, "yeah, there is no way that they are going to be doing anything like that". I think that most reasonable people thought the same. I took it as one of the typical Disney commercials. None of us believed that Cinderella was going to show up at our hotel and hold hands with our daughter and walk to the park together. You have to give them a bit of "fluff" license. Did you really think that they would be able to make a real, regular sized cupcake grow 100X the size right in front of you?

The restaurant in CA does not claim to make a cupcake huge right in front of your eyes like the cruise ad did. You go in already knowing that the food will be either big or small and it is already made that way. Or do you actually think that they make it grow right in front of your eyes? At CA, people are paying extra for these huge portions. It is not practical to give thousands of people on a cruise ship a giant cupcake. For one, they don't have the space, and for 2, it would be a huge waste of food. I am really not understand your point. Are you saying that they should have thousands of giant, child sized cupcakes to serve people?
You are assuming that every single passenger onboard the ship would order the giant cupcake? I highly doubt that. How many order the Kitchen Sink sundae. It would be more akin to that.

They do not "do" this in DCA. It comes out that way. No button, no magic. The pictures show exactly what you get.
Right, okay, but they still HAVE giant food. That's all I'm saying. I'm responding to the comment that if you had giant food you'd have to have allergy free giant food and sensory friendly giant food. Okay, so do they have all that in California? (I honestly don't know the answer.)

You are assuming that every single passenger onboard the ship would order the giant cupcake? I highly doubt that. How many order the Kitchen Sink sundae. It would be more akin to that.
But you are forgetting one important thing - most people refrain from doing things based on cost. If that Kitchen Sink was included, I imagine the majority of them would get it

But you are forgetting one important thing - most people refrain from doing things based on cost. If that Kitchen Sink was included, I imagine the majority of them would get it
Majority seems like a stretch. At most you'd need one per table. And since it's only one dining room per night, it's not like the whole ship is ordering a giant dessert all at once. The previous comment made it sound like the entire ship would be ordering a giant cupcake all at the same time. It's only a third of the ship (except for the people potentially at Palo, Enchante, or ordering room service or the quick serve up on the pool deck) and even then I don't imagine every table would get one. So, now how many are we actually talking about.

I think they can offer a super sized dessert but have a rule listed on the menu that if you order it that will count as the dessert for your whole table and no other dessert items can be ordered for your group. That will cut down the number of them ordered cause not all families will agree to order it.

It doesn't matter what the food item is. It is unrealistic for a cruise ship to have any food item that huge. I guess I don't know why this is such a big deal for some. Did you really think that on the cruise, they were going to have some super huge item? The ships try to keep waste at a minimum and so you can not compare a cruise ship with DL.

Majority seems like a stretch. At most you'd need one per table. And since it's only one dining room per night, it's not like the whole ship is ordering a giant dessert all at once. The previous comment made it sound like the entire ship would be ordering a giant cupcake all at the same time. It's only a third of the ship (except for the people potentially at Palo, Enchante, or ordering room service or the quick serve up on the pool deck) and even then I don't imagine every table would get one. So, now how many are we actually talking about.
That is still over 1000 people when the ship is full, and again, the ships have space issues.

It doesn't matter what the food item is. It is unrealistic for a cruise ship to have any food item that huge. I guess I don't know why this is such a big deal for some. Did you really think that on the cruise, they were going to have some super huge item? The ships try to keep waste at a minimum and so you can not compare a cruise ship with DL.

As I stated above, I wasn't really invested in the idea that they would actually have the giant cupcakes, but I don't think it is as hard as some think. You use jumbo muffin tins, jumbo muffin wrappers, put in some cheap cake batter, frost it and add sprinklers. Compared to a normal cupcake, it would be huge. But very inexpensive and easy to make using standard kitchen equipment/supplies. And while big, it isn't even something an entire table would need to share.

You have to give them a bit of "fluff" license
There is actually a legal term for this concept, called "puffery." Essentially, the courts say unless it is a representation of fact, consumers should expect some exaggeration and don't have a legal claim when a seller says her product is "the best in the world!" I very much suspect the giant cupcake would fall under this or a similar legal doctrine.

Now you're just being silly.

Tell me, how would something like a giant pretzel for the table to share be any different than a couple baskets of bread? How would one cake sized cupcake (let's say serves 4) for a table be more work or take up more space than 4 individual plated desserts? Have you ever worked in a kitchen? Plated desserts take up a LOT of space as do trays and baskets full of individual rolls for bread service. They have plenty of space in the kitchens, they are literally banquet kitchens. Space is not a problem. Giant and tiny foods are most definitely something they could incorporate into the regular menu, just as it's done at a counter service restaurant at Disneyland that has a FAR smaller kitchen and serves FAR more people daily.

Right, okay, but they still HAVE giant food. That's all I'm saying. I'm responding to the comment that if you had giant food you'd have to have allergy free giant food and sensory friendly giant food. Okay, so do they have all that in California? (I honestly don't know the answer.)

Yes, they do offer allergy friendly versions of the giant and tiny foods at Pyms. They have egg, gluten/wheat, soy, and milk allergy versions of several of the items.

I guess I don't know why this is such a big deal for some.
It's not a BIG deal. I mean, nothing we really discuss here on the DIS is a BIG deal. Really the point of the post was, DCL showed something in their marketing that never ended up happening and we kinda wish it would. Does it make or break our vacation? Um. No. I'm not like lying awake at night unhappy that there aren't giant desserts on DCL. But this is vacation, it's Disney and it's supposed to be over the top and experiences we would never ever have at home. Is it so much to say that it's sort of a bummer that, in this instance, Disney didn't actually live up to those over the top expectations like they normally do? That's all. I actually can't believe that this thread has incited such an argument. Like I literally just came here to be like, "yeah, bummer, it wouldn't be that hard" and it turned into a whole thing.

Put me in the category of people who are confused by why Disney would advertise a giant cupcake and the have nothing on the menu related to it.

Like oops, we shrunk all the cupcakes and here is mini cupcakes. Disney is known for thinking outside the box so it’s a little bit of a little down when they didn’t play with the concept of the food more in an Ant-man related restaurant.

Is it the end of the world? No. Total first world problems but I don’t see why on a discussion board one could not discuss their disappointment?

I also just question why would Disney theme a WHOLE DINING ROOM to Marvel and then NOT, like, do something cool with the food? It all looked like normal food. All the food in Avengers Campus at DCA is kinda weird (except the schwarma).

I think I stated plainly in my original post that I didn't really expect them to actually serve 10"-tall giant cupcakes. I could see how little kids might be misled by that video (just as they are misled by commercials of holding hands with Mickey and skipping through the castle, but I digress), but it's not hard to figure out that producing hundreds of cupcakes that size every evening (or storing several hundred cupcakes that size for a cruise) is not practical.

But could they have produced oversized cupcakes that were still impressive? Absolutely. Could they have incorporated some kind of shrink/enlarge gimmick with dessert that would at least approximate the "tease" of that video? I think so.

For example, maybe they could bring out a teeny prop of just one of the table's ordered desserts (like the original cupcake in the video) in a cloche that looked like a quantum core, and actually had the real, normal-sized dessert hidden inside.

"What's that, princess? It's too small? We can fix that!" Put the teeny prop back into the "core", push a button, and inside, the prop is surreptitiously replaced by the real dessert. Voila. It's "magic," and it didn't require any real giant food.

If DCL can make virtual digital puppets of Crush talking to kids in real time, and hundreds of 2D drawings come to life and start dancing on the screens, I am sure they could have pulled some switcheroo with teeny fake desserts and normal-sized real desserts.

I mean, they could have gone a million different ways in that teaser video. I simply don't understand why they would show the enlarged cupcake at your table when apparently absolutely nothing even remotely in that vein actually happens with your dessert.

I'm not losing sleep over it, but yes, I find that misleading. And it seems I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter