• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So - no giant cupcake in Worlds of Marvel?

Then you must've really been let down when you went on Flight of Passage and you weren't flying a real banshee...Oh wait those don't actually exist.
But a giant cookie DOES exist (I've seen them at the mall) and a giant cupcake is actually just....a CAKE! So these things so exist, unlike a banshee. So when you see them in an ad, you think you might actually get to order one. So yes, misleading.

Based on the ad, I would absolutely have the expectation that some kind of grow/shrink element with the food is part of the entertainment and meal at the Marvel restaurant. Whether or not it's specifically a giant cupcake, I think it's very reasonable for people to assume that they will be served food where the scale is altered because that's what the ad is promising.

But a giant cookie DOES exist (I've seen them at the mall) and a giant cupcake is actually just....a CAKE! So these things so exist, unlike a banshee. So when you see them in an ad, you think you might actually get to order one. So yes, misleading.
Which would mean if the ad showed a child ordering a large cupcake and getting one delivered in a realistic manner, it could be misleading if that option is not available. But the child in the ad received a cupcake that was small and magically grew it with a quantum core just like a few seconds earlier in the ad the child grew ant man from tiny to large with the quantum core. Thus clearly associating the cupcake with fantasy rather than realism.

Which would mean if the ad showed a child ordering a large cupcake and getting one delivered in a realistic manner, it could be misleading if that option is not available. But the child in the ad received a cupcake that was small and magically grew it with a quantum core just like a few seconds earlier in the ad the child grew ant man from tiny to large with the quantum core. Thus clearly associating the cupcake with fantasy rather than realism.

Okay, but there doesn't even seem to be ANY sort of interactive element to this dinner at all, so why even show that in the ad? Unless they just didn't have that ready for the media sailing.

Suppose a preview video of Turtle Talk on the Dream showed a little girl gabbing it up with Crush, having the time of her life. And then when the Dream finally set sail, not only did we not have an interactive Crush in AP, but we had no Crush, period.

You could say, “Well, that video was obviously fantasy. Everybody knows that turtles can’t talk.”

No, turtles can’t talk, but we can use technology to approximate a fully-interactive virtual puppet of a talking turtle.

That is precisely what Disney sells - their creative and innovative use of technology to make fantastical things seem more real. Not 100% real, of course, but closer to reality than we would normally expect, which surprises and delights us. It’s why we pay exorbitant sums for these vacations.

Stuff like that is Imagineering’s stock-in-trade. It’s why they exist. So I don’t think it’s at all unreasonable to watch that video and walk away with the clear impression that there was some sort of shrinking/enlarging gimmick in store for dessert.

I mean - why even show the cupcake getting big? You just saw Ant-Man enlarge two seconds ago. Why immediately repeat the schtick with the dessert that was just handed to the little girl, and give her agency to make the dessert bigger, if there’s absolutely nothing in that vein that’s part of the actual dessert experience?

I mean, unless there is something cool that happens, and nobody on the media preview has spilled the beans.

Suppose a preview video of Turtle Talk on the Dream showed a little girl gabbing it up with Crush, having the time of her life. And then when the Dream finally set sail, not only did we not have an interactive Crush in AP, but we had no Crush, period.

You could say, “Well, that video was obviously fantasy. Everybody knows that turtles can’t talk.”

No, turtles can’t talk, but we can use technology to approximate a fully-interactive virtual puppet of a talking turtle.

That is precisely what Disney sells - their creative and innovative use of technology to make fantastical things seem more real. Not 100% real, of course, but closer to reality than we would normally expect, which surprises and delights us. It’s why we pay exorbitant sums for these vacations.

Stuff like that is Imagineering’s stock-in-trade. It’s why they exist. So I don’t think it’s at all unreasonable to watch that video and walk away with the clear impression that there was some sort of shrinking/enlarging gimmick in store for dessert.

I mean - why even show the cupcake getting big? You just saw Ant-Man enlarge two seconds ago. Why immediately repeat the schtick with the dessert that was just handed to the little girl, and give her agency to make the dessert bigger, if there’s absolutely nothing in that vein that’s part of the actual dessert experience?

I mean, unless there is something cool that happens, and nobody on the media preview has spilled the beans.
You have to be trolling right? Like you actually think that they were going to go all Honey I shrunk the kids on dinner attendees???? Come on... Again, I absolutely get thinking there would be a Pym size like there is in Cali but right now nobody has shown that to be the case; however, to think that they were misleading is absolutely comical.

You have to be trolling right? Like you actually think that they were going to go all Honey I shrunk the kids on dinner attendees???? Come on... Again, I absolutely get thinking there would be a Pym size like there is in Cali but right now nobody has shown that to be the case; however, to think that they were misleading is absolutely comical.
I really don't think that's what is being said here. What's being said is that it seems like DCL was going to have some kind of cool imagineering sort of way to make things SEEM bigger or smaller than they appear. One SUPER DUPER easy, not even imagineering way to do that would be to serve gigantic desserts. Just like they do in the promo video! This wouldn't even be all that hard. (See my post about the aforementioned giant cookies they've had at the mall since literally the 80s.)

Look, it seems like there are a non-zero number of us that thought we were getting big giant desserts and now we're not and it feels like a bit of a bummer. I'm glad you didn't have those expectations so you aren't disappointed. Now you get a prize. The prize is a normal size cookie. Congratulations.

I really don't think that's what is being said here. What's being said is that it seems like DCL was going to have some kind of cool imagineering sort of way to make things SEEM bigger or smaller than they appear. One SUPER DUPER easy, not even imagineering way to do that would be to serve gigantic desserts. Just like they do in the promo video! This wouldn't even be all that hard. (See my post about the aforementioned giant cookies they've had at the mall since literally the 80s.)

Look, it seems like there are a non-zero number of us that thought we were getting big giant desserts and now we're not and it feels like a bit of a bummer. I'm glad you didn't have those expectations so you aren't disappointed. Now you get a prize. The prize is a normal size cookie. Congratulations.
Actually it has been said that it's misleading and that

See above comment...This has been said numerous times that it was misleading and then this.....

Of course the ad was misleading. Most advertisements are. Buying cryptocurrencies won't make me fabulously wealthy like Tom Brady no matter how many of his ads suggest that they might. In this case, however, Disney chose to feature a concept that was 1. in line with something they would be capable of producing and 2. in theme with the restaurant that they are promoting. It's perfectly reasonable for folks to take the premise of the ad literally, because it would have made sense for them to execute some version of the shrink/enlarge food concept in the dinner show. All people on this thread are saying is that Disney produced an ad that may lead guests to believe that the dinner will feature comically large desserts, and that they may feel misled when they get to the restaurant and no giant dessert appears.

Of course the ad was misleading. Most advertisements are. Buying cryptocurrencies won't make me fabulously wealthy like Tom Brady no matter how many of his ads suggest that they might. In this case, however, Disney chose to feature a concept that was 1. in line with something they would be capable of producing and 2. in theme with the restaurant that they are promoting. It's perfectly reasonable for folks to take the premise of the ad literally, because it would have made sense for them to execute some version of the shrink/enlarge food concept in the dinner show. All people on this thread are saying is that Disney produced an ad that may lead guests to believe that the dinner will feature comically large desserts, and that they may feel misled when they get to the restaurant and no giant dessert appears.

All of this.

And again, they LITERALLY have a restaurant at DCA, RIGHT NOW, that serves comically large and small food items. It's called Pym's Test Kitchen. I go there all the time and eat a giant slab of French toast with a tiny little fried quail egg on top, alongside a teeny tiny wedge from a clementine. We enjoy the absolutely MASSIVE chicken cutlet served on a teeny tiny slider bun. We see people carting around GIANT soft pretzels all the time. It's funny every time.

This restaurant on the Wish also heavily features ANT MAN, whose entire existence revolves around the shrinking/enlarging concept. Why on earth would DCL make him the "spokesman" of this Marvel restaurant, ALSO create an ad featuring a little girl astonished by a giant cupcake, and then NOT DELIVER on that concept in any way for the guests to enjoy? Nothing about the food at this restaurant capitalizes on this concept. It really makes no sense and it is absolutely misleading. Having experienced Pyms Test Kitchen, my immediate thought upon hearing about this restaurant and seeing the ad was that this restaurant would also be doing the "giant/tiny" food schtick, for those who can't get out to Disneyland easily.

It's been a long time, but when I lived in California (in the San Diego area) there was a restaurant whose whole gimmick was GIANT portions of food. They had this chocolate cake that was like a gazillion layers. I can't remember what the place was called, but everything was absolutely ridiculously huge.

I cannot believe that adults are actually boo hooing about the size of a cupcake that they imagined they might be getting from a commercial on TV. In this world if that’s your biggest complaint, you must truly live a charmed and imaginary life.

Last edited:
Okay, but there doesn't even seem to be ANY sort of interactive element to this dinner at all, so why even show that in the ad? Unless they just didn't have that ready for the media sailing.
Wait...you get to push a button! (Which apparently doesn't actually do anything, since the empty tables respond exactly the same as the tables where the button was pushed). Imagineering at its best! "People will love pushing a button!"

The cupcake would be easy to do. Just make it giant-muffin size and add frosting. But I personally wasn't attached to the idea of a giant cupcake, I am more just disappointed in the actual show.

Spoilers:
99% of the show is you just watching a bad version of a Marvel short movie on the monitors and pushing a button when told to do so. I guess I just have higher expectations for Disney's innovation.

Last edited:
I cannot believe that adults are actually boo hooing about the size of a cupcake that they imagined they might be getting from a commercial in TV. In this world if that’s your biggest complaint, you must truly live a charmed and imaginary life.
No one’s crying, we’re saying the ad is potentially misleading and that they seem to have missed an opportunity here to deliver an experience that would be more on-theme with Ant Man/Pyms particles. It’s less fun, but I don’t think it’s ruining anyone’s day.

Watched the video of the entire Marvel dinner show. Two CMs carry around a large (look inflatable) cupcake and donut at the end of the show, so there will be a large cupcake as part of the show.

I for one, never thought that they would actually do this. Even if they came up with some magic show type of thing at every table, that would be a nightmare for them. To have something actually edible, they would have to have a variety of different items. The little girl with diabetes needs sugar free, the autistic boy can't handle the texture of frosting, etc. It would be a nightmare to provide something like this to make everyone happy. They should have come up with a better promotion but Disney has been doing stuff like this all the time. Have you seen the commercials for WDW over the years?

I for one, never thought that they would actually do this. Even if they came up with some magic show type of thing at every table, that would be a nightmare for them. To have something actually edible, they would have to have a variety of different items. The little girl with diabetes needs sugar free, the autistic boy can't handle the texture of frosting, etc. It would be a nightmare to provide something like this to make everyone happy. They should have come up with a better promotion but Disney has been doing stuff like this all the time. Have you seen the commercials for WDW over the years?
So how do they handle in California where they actually DO do this?

It's been a long time, but when I lived in California (in the San Diego area) there was a restaurant whose whole gimmick was GIANT portions of food. They had this chocolate cake that was like a gazillion layers. I can't remember what the place was called, but everything was absolutely ridiculously huge.
Claim Jumper?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter