• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So - no giant cupcake in Worlds of Marvel?

Shocked Disney didn't do the obvious thing if it would be too costly to do for everyone; offer it as an upcharge. Boom, a fraction of folks pay for it, people see the "magic" in the room, and no one complains about it missing. Ta-Da. They already do special order cakes so I assume the kitchen can handle decorating them like a cupcake.

Disney, let me share the simple idea that was uber-easy and cheap to execute.
Start the Marvel show with the wait staff. Have them hurry around with baskets of giant pretzels and teeny tiny bread loaves and put them on the table, apologizing and saying Dr Pymm is still getting the hang of his Pymm particles when it comes to cooking, but you'll be sure he gets it right for their next course.

The theme is brought in, SO EASY (and SO cheap), and everyone is made happy that someone cares.

Disney when you steal this idea, pay me:)! I work for theme park tickets and hotel stays (but I'd also take a free cruise)!

Now you're just being silly.

Tell me, how would something like a giant pretzel for the table to share be any different than a couple baskets of bread? How would one cake sized cupcake (let's say serves 4) for a table be more work or take up more space than 4 individual plated desserts? Have you ever worked in a kitchen? Plated desserts take up a LOT of space as do trays and baskets full of individual rolls for bread service. They have plenty of space in the kitchens, they are literally banquet kitchens. Space is not a problem. Giant and tiny foods are most definitely something they could incorporate into the regular menu, just as it's done at a counter service restaurant at Disneyland that has a FAR smaller kitchen and serves FAR more people daily.
Really? So you think that it is sooo easy to make a really big item to make everyone happy? That was never going to happen. Let's take your giant pretzel from DL as example. Do you really think that people would be eating that, along with their app, soup/salad, entree, and desert? They could have done that but I imagine they are worried more about waste then anything. And yes, I have worked for over 30 years in kitchens and bakeries. You all are not thinking this through. Do you not think that there would be zero issues making one big desert or even a big pretzel? What about for diabetics, or gluten free people? Don't they deserve to have a special "big" item? It is not as simple as some of you think it is. It seems as if none of you have been on the other side of this having to provide kitschy food. If it was "no big deal" like some of you seem to think, then why did they not do it? And I believe that they do have tiny cookies. But we were talking about making a food item extra big. Maybe you should contact Disney and tell them how easy it would have been for them to make a giant food item that everyone could enjoy. If only you could have helped them with this before they made up the menus. 🙄

Really? So you think that it is sooo easy to make a really big item to make everyone happy? That was never going to happen. Let's take your giant pretzel from DL as example. Do you really think that people would be eating that, along with their app, soup/salad, entree, and desert? They could have done that but I imagine they are worried more about waste then anything. And yes, I have worked for over 30 years in kitchens and bakeries. You all are not thinking this through. Do you not think that there would be zero issues making one big desert or even a big pretzel? What about for diabetics, or gluten free people? Don't they deserve to have a special "big" item? It is not as simple as some of you think it is. It seems as if none of you have been on the other side of this having to provide kitschy food. If it was "no big deal" like some of you seem to think, then why did they not do it? And I believe that they do have tiny cookies. But we were talking about making a food item extra big. Maybe you should contact Disney and tell them how easy it would have been for them to make a giant food item that everyone could enjoy. If only you could have helped them with this before they made up the menus. 🙄
Okay. Again, Disney literally already does this, including having gluten, egg, and milk free versions of the giant pretzel, alone, at DCA. But keep going off about how impossible it would be.

I think you are overestimating how giant we are talking about here. It feeds like 4 people. It's 450g. They also sell a "giant" candy bar similar to a snickers. It's like 2-3 regular candy bars. And it's amazing.

Screenshot_20220706-190148_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Okay. Again, Disney literally already does this, including having gluten, egg, and milk free versions of the giant pretzel, alone, at DCA. But keep going off about how impossible it would be.

I think you are overestimating how giant we are talking about here. It feeds like 4 people. It's 450g. They also sell a "giant" candy bar similar to a snickers. It's like 2-3 regular candy bars. And it's amazing.

View attachment 682345
And it's way too much food to have as the bread service before a meal. There's also nowhere to bake or store enough giant pretzels on a cruise ship.

I'm not saying that Disney can't do anything interesting with food sizes at the new restaurant, but I am saying that giant foods is probably not a good option. Much better to play with tiny food or to set up some non-food-based fun.

And it's way too much food to have as the bread service before a meal. There's also nowhere to bake or store enough giant pretzels on a cruise ship.

I'm not saying that Disney can't do anything interesting with food sizes at the new restaurant, but I am saying that giant foods is probably not a good option. Much better to play with tiny food or to set up some non-food-based fun.
LOL. You underestimate how much people like bread. The bread service is NEVER enough bread.

LOL. You underestimate how much people like bread. The bread service is NEVER enough bread.
Maybe it's not enough for larger groups, but we almost always go as a party of two and we never finish the bread. We certainly wouldn't finish an ultra pretzel made for four people to share.

Maybe it's not enough for larger groups, but we almost always go as a party of two and we never finish the bread. We certainly wouldn't finish an ultra pretzel made for four people to share.
To be fair, I'd guess the average tabie size on DCL is 4-6.

View attachment 682345
They are selling this pretzel in a couple of the ships bars. No way they would give this away at dinner when they want you to pay for it.

I also think that they probably could have gone with more mini options or maybe just a giant shrimp chip or something like that.

😆

Fair point.

But wait, are you saying they CAN make giant foods on the ships? I'm shocked...
The original conversation was about having what the ad showed, the giant cupcake. You all are the ones who changed it to "well maybe just a pretzel". When the OP was talking about doing what the ad showed. Having something the size of a small child is unreasonable and no one should have expected that.

The original conversation was about having what the ad showed, the giant cupcake. You all are the ones who changed it to "well maybe just a pretzel". When the OP was talking about doing what the ad showed. Having something the size of a small child is unreasonable and no one should have expected that.
The size of a small child? That's not what the ad shows at all. There is an element of forced perspective there. It looks like the size of a small cake to me.

Seems we have found the source of our disconnect. Obviously a human sized cupcake would not be feasible, but that is not what the ad showed at all.

I’ll repeat, again, that I straight-up said in my original post that I did not expect them to produce a gigantic cupcake for every table at every seating because it’s not practical.

The point was that they apparently aren’t doing anything supersized with desserts. Not even a “larger than you might normally expect” dessert. And I think younger kids who see that video will be let down - not when they don’t get the 10”-tall cupcake - but when absolutely nothing happens at dessert.

Will it “ruin their cruise?” Of course not (or, at least, I hope not).

But why even go through the effort of putting something like that in the video, if you had no intention of delivering desserts with any kind of a shrink/enlarge gimmick whatsoever? They didn’t need to show that - they could have still made a cool promo video without it.

I know all ads are puffery and manipulation on some level. This one just felt totally unnecessary.

Last edited:
😆

Fair point.

But wait, are you saying they CAN make giant foods on the ships? I'm shocked...
They can but not at the scale of an MDR feeding one third of 4,000 guests each night, and not included in the cost of the cruise. Obviously, you can buy a full size cake, as well as an assortment of large but not huge cupcakes, through the bakery for a celebration but it will cost you and they do not have enough for everyone on the ship. The upcharge for those cakes and the pretzels reduces demand and makes the volume manageable for the kitchens.

In the vein of "they won't give you something in the dining room you have to pay for elsewhere ~cough GIANT PRETZEL cough~" they do exactly that with the beignet on the Wonder. It's a standard dessert at Tiana's on Mardi Gras night and they charge for them at the French Quarter Lounge, I don't see a giant pretzel being any different.

Y’all I think we’re officially being trolled. Nobody really thinks we are entitled to a giant cupcake in Worlds of Marvel based on that end. End of story.

In the vein of "they won't give you something in the dining room you have to pay for elsewhere ~cough GIANT PRETZEL cough~" they do exactly that with the beignet on the Wonder. It's a standard dessert at Tiana's on Mardi Gras night and they charge for them at the French Quarter Lounge, I don't see a giant pretzel being any different.
OK, sure, but the beignets are a few dollars, right? The cupcakes and cakes that they sell are much, much more expensive.

Y’all I think we’re officially being trolled. Nobody really thinks we are entitled to a giant cupcake in Worlds of Marvel based on that end. End of story.
Since I’m the OP, am I to assume that I am the “official troll” you’re referring to?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter