So - no giant cupcake in Worlds of Marvel?

squirk

Saw what you did and knows who you are.
So, the first promo video for the Worlds of Marvel restaurant on the Wish gave us this:

(skip to 0:20)

But then Jackie just posted the WoM menu overview (complete with photos), and while the menu looks really good, there’s absolutely nothing super-sized to be seen on the dessert menu.

Did I really expect them to serve a 10”-tall cupcake that a family of four could not finish? Of course not (though that would have been awesome). But given the pains the video went through to show a kid with a dessert that was bigger than they expected, I thought there’d be a giant something on the dessert menu.

I get that the gimmick is that you’ll use the little quantum core thingies to shrink/grow things on the monitors around the restaurant (maybe even a monitor at your table), but that decidedly is not what that video is teasing the kids with. DCL is totally making it look like kids will get a giant dessert.

Yes, I know that Disney sells “make-believe” and “fantasy,” but just like those videos that show a family walking hand-in-hand on a deserted Main Street, or a kid leisurely kicking back with Santa (without another soul around) on Deck 12 on the Dream, this giant cupcake thing seems like it’s deceptive vs. just sales puffery.

Unless I am missing something?

They were going to have the giant cupcake until Chapek buget cut it at the last minute! 😂
He is the gift that just keeps on taking.

But seriously, I wonder if the giant cupcake really was part of the original plan, but got nixed somewhere along the way because it was infeasible to mass-produce those.

Is there anything on the menu that was releated to the shrinking or enlarging theme they have pushed?

the only thing i ve heard is they give out a tiny cookie at the end which is an odd choice as cookies come in all sorts of sizes so tiny ones aint exactly interesting.

Is there anything on the menu that was releated to the shrinking or enlarging theme they have pushed?

the only thing i ve heard is they give out a tiny cookie at the end which is an odd choice as cookies come in all sorts of sizes so tiny ones aint exactly interesting.

Based on Jackie’s post, the apps/salads/entrees are all from around the Marvel universe (Wakanda, Sokovia, New Asgard, etc.), but nothing about shrinking/growing.

The dessert menu items have titles with words like “quantum,” and “subatomic,” but they just look like regular-sized desserts.

I saw Ashley Eckstein (voice of animated Ahsoka Tano from “Star Wars”) post a pic on her IG of her holding a giant fake chocolate-chip cookie. That’s fun and all, but again, fake giant food really isn’t what that video above is teasing.

Last edited:
Tiny cupcakes would have been a clever solution, something like Baked by Melissa. Different flavors, less food waste.
"Tiny" would have been .... something, at least. And probably a lot easier to pull off in bulk. But "giant" was what the video was telegraphing.

I don't know why Disney does misleading stuff like this. It's not necessary. Nobody was saying, "Y'know, I didn't really think I wanted to sail on the 'Wish,' but that giant cupcake in the 'Worlds of Marvel" video completely changed my mind!"

I've seen a video where the cast members walk around the restaurant with giant "prop" foods like Mickey Bars and Cookies. I'm guessing the giant cupcake in this promo was never actually real, and is instead one of these plastic prop pieces that are part of the show.

Really disappointing, considering they have a land based restaurant in their parks that is capable of producing "giant" and "tiny" versions of foods quite successfully.

I've seen a video where the cast members walk around the restaurant with giant "prop" foods like Mickey Bars and Cookies. I'm guessing the giant cupcake in this promo was never actually real, and is instead one of these plastic prop pieces that are part of the show.

I guess my thought was that, while the cupcake in the video was certainly a prop, kids who watched that video would be under the very reasonable assumption that the giant cupcake was real, not a prop, and that they would be getting it to eat. I mean, the waiter serves the little girl the cupcake, on a plate, directly to her.

Even older kids who know "Pym particles, distance between atoms, yadda-yadda" is all nonsense might still have a reasonable expectation that a real giant cupcake was somehow going to make its way to their table.

I guess my thought was that, while the cupcake in the video was certainly a prop, kids who watched that video would be under the very reasonable assumption that the giant cupcake was real, not a prop, and that they would be getting it to eat. I mean, the waiter serves the little girl the cupcake, on a plate, directly to her.

Even older kids who know "Pym particles, distance between atoms, yadda-yadda" is all nonsense might still have a reasonable expectation that a real giant cupcake was somehow going to make its way to their table.
Oh, I totally agree. It's a very misleading advertisement.

This is an unbelievable stretch.

I agree with the others that it is now apparent they were referencing the plastic props. That said, I saw the teaser and I knew of course it would not be real. My bet was on a hologram/optical illusion kind of thing like they have at ROTR. So the plastic props are a little disappointing but I think it is a bit too far to say they were implying real giant food would be served. After all, they also have had ads for the theme parks that show kids flying around with pixie dust and they even have had pictures of people watching fireworks in the MK hub without any crowds blocking their view—all kinds of fantastical unrealistic stuff! :joker:

This is an unbelievable stretch.
It's really not, once you see some of the portion sizes at Pym's at DCA.

I always assumed the giant cupcake would be a fake, and you'd press a button and the cupcake would magically turn small. Like inside a canister with a rotating door on top of the table. It would have been a fun little gag.

OR it would be a giant cupcake, but it's actually a cake for the table to share.

It's really not, once you see some of the portion sizes at Pym's at DCA.

I always assumed the giant cupcake would be a fake, and you'd press a button and the cupcake would magically turn small. Like inside a canister with a rotating door on top of the table. It would have been a fun little gag.

OR it would be a giant cupcake, but it's actually a cake for the table to share.
Yes, exactly this. If they’re doing “Pym-inis” in DCA, it’s really not a stretch to think they would try something similar here.

Of course, a cupcake was not going to grow/shrink before your very eyes. Just as you said, maybe you put the cupcake in the quantum core thing, and out comes a bigger one. Maybe not 10” tall (and that video clearly is using forced perspective), but, y’know, something bigger than what you started with.

Again, the fact that the video shows the little girl being served the (ostensibly edible) smallish cupcake, being dissatisfied with the size, and then growing it? It just seems like a really big tease, only for absolutely nothing to actually happen at all with dessert.

Last edited:
To claim it is misleading advertisement is simply laughable. So many ads place individuals in unusual methods of transportation, circumstances and nobody and I mean nobody thinks it is misleading.

Now, to say that they could have a giant cupcake or something available for dessert is something plausible but to read people say it's misleading is insane.

To claim it is misleading advertisement is simply laughable. So many ads place individuals in unusual methods of transportation, circumstances and nobody and I mean nobody thinks it is misleading.

Now, to say that they could have a giant cupcake or something available for dessert is something plausible but to read people say it's misleading is insane.
Its incredibly misleading.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter