• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So - no giant cupcake in Worlds of Marvel?

I have always wondered who those ridiculous disclaimers on Disney commercials were for...now I know lol

"Galactic Starcruiser does not actually go to space."

FWIW, considering what I knew of Marvel out in California, I didn't think the idea of a giant dessert was at all far-fetched and I certainly scanned the menu when it was published/leaked to see if there was a "giant" option of something.

Is it grounds for a lawsuit? No. Is it "misleading" when you consider what else Disney does in California and thus sets as an expectation for what they could provide? Yes. Is it ripe for discussion on a message board? Abso-frickin-lutely.

Right? I never would have dreamed my OP would have brought out the snide ******* in people. But that’s the internet for you
I mean, someone blocked me the other day for not being upset about stairs on the promenade. The Internet is a crazy place.

As for me, I'd rather not have giant food. It's wasteful. I'd much rather have Disney figure out fun ways to get us involved in the overall show and let food be food. Tiny food is fun, though! Especially tiny desserts so that I can have more than one.

I don't see tossing out some leftover cupcake any worse than I do all the other food waste on a cruise ship. Folks will order more than one entree just to try it, kids will leave uneaten slices of pizza and plates of fries all over, or pile on the bacon at breakfast just to leave it, and heck, our own servers betray us by bringing things we didn't order for us to try. I always groaned at how they (at least used) to encourage the chant "if you see it, eat it!".

There is clearly some forced perspective in that screencap. It looks like it's about halfway up that weird little uncharge cup thing. I think that's definitely doable. I mean, we have muffins at the local grocery store about that size. I'm pretty sure they used to have muffins that size at the aforementioned Claim Jumper (thanks to the person who remembered the name of that place for me).

And for the record, my family of three generally goes through 2 baskets of bread. I'm on vacation. Bring on the CARBS!!

Carrying over the big and little part, since I'm a font of good ideas for Disney, if we're all worried about food waste, Disney could also invest in enormous bread baskets or water pitchers and tiny tongs and make the bread/water course an entire fiesta of everything mis-sized. And they could give everyone teeny tiny butter knives for buttering the bread. Again, the ideas are endless to get people involved:).

And for the allergies, you can focus on the tiny for their stuff but deliver on enormous plates, with a handwritten note from Pym (and maybe you do this everywhere) of "Oops"...

I admit our party of two have devoured the bread basket with no problem... it is proportional to how long our first course takes to appear. We don't tend to eat much during breakfast or lunch, so we turn up at dinner hungry! :)

I’ve eaten a whole bread basket by myself… especially if it involves Johnny cake, I am WEAK for it.

There are so many ideas on this thread that would have been amazing and VERY easy to implement. Even a giant (or tiny) butter knife would have been fun! The Remy restaurant in Disneyland Paris has forced perspective: all the decor in the restaurant is giant so you feel small, surely they could have done something like that if they were just going to have normal size food? Maybe a tiny plate when you sit down instead of those normal size ones? Just something.

I mean, someone blocked me the other day for not being upset about stairs on the promenade. The Internet is a crazy place.

As for me, I'd rather not have giant food. It's wasteful. I'd much rather have Disney figure out fun ways to get us involved in the overall show and let food be food. Tiny food is fun, though! Especially tiny desserts so that I can have more than one.

There really is no such thing as food waste on a cruise ship. Everything that is loaded up at the docks has to get eaten or thrown away at the end of the sailing. It's not like unused food gets saved up for the next cruise.

There really is no such thing as food waste on a cruise ship. Everything that is loaded up at the docks has to get eaten or thrown away at the end of the sailing. It's not like unused food gets saved up for the next cruise.
That's utter nonsense. First of all, there are plenty of nonperishable ingredients that could be used for the next cruise. Do you think they're throwing away fries and ketchup and pasta and stuff like that? Why would they? That would be incredibly wasteful in terms of food *and* money. They like money.

Second, so what? That doesn't mean that we need to compound the problem and encourage more food waste. If Disney doesn't bring giant cupcakes on board the ship, then giant cupcakes aren't wasted on the cruise.

That's utter nonsense. First of all, there are plenty of nonperishable ingredients that could be used for the next cruise. Do you think they're throwing away fries and ketchup and pasta and stuff like that? Why would they? That would be incredibly wasteful in terms of food *and* money. They like money.

Second, so what? That doesn't mean that we need to compound the problem and encourage more food waste. If Disney doesn't bring giant cupcakes on board the ship, then giant cupcakes aren't wasted on the cruise.
They wouldn't bring on giant cupcakes. They make all the baked goods from scratch.

They wouldn't bring on giant cupcakes. They make all the baked goods from scratch.
You're being needlessly pedantic. Replace "giant cupcakes" with "the ingredients to make giant cupcakes" and the point still stands.

This thread rocks! For those who want to view in detail the culprit who started this debate, I present the suspect cupcake:

View attachment 682531
Yes, clearly forced perspective.

But, exactly as you said earlier, what’s the message being delivered? Is the little girl’s mouth agape because a smallish cupcake was placed at her table, and then moved a little closer to the other side of the table, so it looked bigger to the camera? Of course not.

The clear message is that something crazy is going to happen with your dessert. Of course, not literally growing before your eyes. We’re not imbeciles. But I think it’s a fair takeaway that something was going to happen, right?

Turns out there apparently is no trick. At all. Not even a little. And I can’t figure out why they created that video yet didn’t even try something shrinky-enlargey.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter