Should I buy in now? Or wait?

We decided to buy resale now. I still have some reservations but, I live in driving distance, love the resorts and will go a few times a year. I am flabbergasted by the hotel rate inflation in FL which escalated in 2020 and just continues. 3 years ago, a stay at a Ritz Carlton in N FL was about $250-300 a night with taxes. It’s now at $1200 for a single night. I find the quality of service and setting at Disney resorts comparable to a Ritz. Better in some respects. I am spoiled and just do not enjoy staying at the “affordable” hotels. They are often loud (less sound insulation?), crowded and the schlepping to/from parks makes it less relaxing for me. We had enough to pay cash for a small contract @ Poly that will allow us 4-7 nights in studios a year. I enjoy resort only stays and am hopeful my purchase makes it through ROFR.

Just looking at the point charts ; a 1 bedroom Standard room at BLT is 368 points a week at Christmas and the GF is 468 points . Its crazy . Thats also for first week in April . so if you plan on staying in a 1 bedroom and going those weeks every year you will need 700 points . You probably are better off staying in a studio and that will still run you 450-500 points a year. I travel 4 weeks a year for about 430 points total but always go off season. I own at the GF and CCV .
What is considered off season for dvc?

What is considered off season for dvc?
Typically January/early Feb (that don't interfere with race weekends) and September are low point seasons. There is also value to be found in the first two weeks of December, hottest parts of summer, and a few weeks in may before schools pour out.

Typically January/early Feb (that don't interfere with race weekends) and September are low point seasons. There is also value to be found in the first two weeks of December, hottest parts of summer, and a few weeks in may before schools pour out.
Maybe to clarify slightly, those are some low points seasons, but someone will be quick to point out some of those, particularly December, are popular because of low points but holiday cheer to be had. The hottest parts of summer and non-race January are probably the bits that are just straight up slow.

There is also value to be found in the first two weeks of December...
Not as much in 2023. The points chart has switched those cheaper weeks to the first two of May. As Sandisw pointed out above, early May may become the new "cheap December" pointswise.

Though, I happen to think, not nearly as much fun. Call me a staunch "holiday cheer" type.

DH was all excited about the switch until we both watched some FGF and not-Christmas-decorated resort tours. We quickly concluded the GF looked bare as did the parks without their huge Christmas trees.

Higher points though it is in 2023 and likely '24+, we're considering returning in our usual 3rd week of November after next year's May trip, the hey with how many points it costs. For another thing, that's an easy week for DH to score vacation.

To give a more direct answer as someone with a 4 YO and 2 YO, I would say to buy now. A few notes:

If you are going to Disney once a year or more DVC is definitely worth it.

I appreciate the quick nap, but that is a relatively short phase in life so I wouldn’t stress too much about being super close to a park. I would say any park that doesn’t require bus transportation is good, which is most of the DVC resorts.

Based on your preferences for travel, the points and cost are going to be very high. However, I would say you don’t need to dive all the way in the deepens right out of the gate. If you have the ability to buy a large contract right away with little financing, then I would buy as many points as you can afford. Probably something like 300. Otherwise you can start smaller and build up. You can always still get cash rooms if you go more often.

My recommendation would be to get 150-175 points at RIV direct to start. I am a biased RIV owner but there are some advantages to this. It will give you a loaded contract, meaning you will have 2021 points. It is a skyliner resort and my young kids love the skyliner as much as any ride in the parks and it makes getting in and out of HS or EPCOT very easy, especially in the middle of the day for that afternoon nap when not many people are riding them. The 1 BR are huge. We did a split stay between CCV and RIV in 1 BR last year and the difference in room size was huge (w/ RIV being substantially better). I would like CCV slightly better than RIV if the rooms were the same. Lastly, if you really like GF, I would go there. The only difference is that the GF will not give you last years points.

I liked direct because points load quickly, there is no issue with ROFR, and the process for me was smooth. Resale will save you money if you choose to go that way.

Should I buy in now? Or keep trying different resorts to find the perfect home resort? Direct or resale? Big or small?
It doesn't get any cheaper, if you can purchase now, and if you can decide on a resort, I'd say go for it. Disney increases their prices at least once a year. Back in 2007 when I bought, that increase was $4-$5 per point, they weren't manipulating the market the way they are trying to now. Now I can sell my points for twice what I paid for them so that gives me some satisfaction.
I wouldn't buy SSR, I've stayed there, it's a lovely resort, but the size of it makes getting around kind of a pain, and I like to walk. You don't need to have only one home resort. You don't even need to have all direct points. I've had many split stays, I have a combination of direct/resale, but all grandfathered under the old rules.
Keep in mind that your travel habits will change over the years, maintenance fees will increase, DVC will change too. The value of walking "home" after park close, and not having to wait in bus lines with sleeping children and thousands of other tired park goers to me is very high, but you can buy elsewhere and stay at BLT. I could be wrong but I believe VGF is still $207/point.
Also keep in mind that it's only a room. Theme park tickets, food, merchandise prices go up every year too.
But as I said, it doesn't get any cheaper, so if you're devoted to owning, and can do this financially, might as well just do it. JMO

ETA - check points charts carefully, they vary greatly from resort to resort.

Last edited:
I find the quality of service and setting at Disney resorts comparable to a Ritz. Better in some respects.
If your goal is Ritz quality, I highly recommend you rent points or buy a DVC cash reservation first (not Disney hotel cash). I would not consider DVC anywhere near these standards.

Many buildings are in obvious need of facelifts, even my favorite beach club. The mattresses (except new VGF2), the aging sleeper sofas. No robes. No housekeeping. The toiletries, the views. DVC rooms are sometimes the worst inventory? Bad views and such. The service…. Generally no room service.

Of course DVC is cheaper than the ritz, so I don’t really expect the ritz.

If you love Disney, and plan on visiting a lot, then you have to factor in your kids getting older as well.

If I were you, I would wait 6 months or so because the recession is coming and resale prices will drop. Then I would buy as many resale points as I could at a resort that we like. You can always move around, but if your home is at a resort that you like, it is always a win.

We love one bedrooms as well (sometimes 2 bedrooms) and the more points you have the better. That is why I recommend resale. The direct perks just aren't that great right now.

Get in soon, with as many points as you can muster - but I would wait a few months for the recession to be your friend.

If your goal is Ritz quality, I highly recommend you rent points or buy a DVC cash reservation first (not Disney hotel cash). I would not consider DVC anywhere near these standards.

Many buildings are in obvious need of facelifts, even my favorite beach club. The mattresses (except new VGF2), the aging sleeper sofas. No robes. No housekeeping. The toiletries, the views. DVC rooms are sometimes the worst inventory? Bad views and such. The service…. Generally no room service.

Renting can be a good way to experience DVC prior to a purchase. I rented for a number of years before buying. Likely that my delay caused my later buy-in to be at a much higher price; however, I learned a bit about the various resorts this way. By renting, I also learned some of the nuances of DVC (especially the booking and planning windows).

However, I learned a lot more about DVC from these boards and after being a DVC owner.

If you love Disney, and plan on visiting a lot, then you have to factor in your kids getting older as well.

If I were you, I would wait 6 months or so because the recession is coming and resale prices will drop. Then I would buy as many resale points as I could at a resort that we like. You can always move around, but if your home is at a resort that you like, it is always a win.

We love one bedrooms as well (sometimes 2 bedrooms) and the more points you have the better. That is why I recommend resale. The direct perks just aren't that great right now.

Get in soon, with as many points as you can muster - but I would wait a few months for the recession to be your friend.

Any data or anecdotes on how DVC resale did during 2008/9 recession? Curious how big of a drop we saw back then.

Having stayed at the Ritz in Amelia Island and Atlanta, my stays at BWV and Polynesian were both comparable. I rarely order room service. The Disney resorts, grounds, customer service, buildings, and room quality were all on point for this picky gal!

Another vote for Riviera. The incentives are very good right now and you get a long contac contract, perfect for a young family. The resort is compact, which is also nice when you have little ones. And you get 2021 points dues-free if you choose a UY that hasn't started yet.

Tomorrow is the last day of the current incentives. I would call DVC and get a contract, you can still think about it for 10 days and you actually have 30 days to sign the contract.

- been to Disney twice, started this year.
- stayed at GF and AKL
- staying at Saratoga in Dec (all that was available by the time I booked)
- love one bedroom suites
- obsessed with Disney, want to go multiple times a year
- spring break and Christmas are prime travel times for us
- love all the parks
- not a fan of long bus wait times at AKL
- need to be able to get back to resort quickly for mid day naps for little ones

I think we would love Epcot resort area. It would be nice to have quick access to Epcot and Hollywood & monorail option to MK. But we did love GF. Family of 4, littles ones ages 2 and 3.

Should I buy in now? Or keep trying different resorts to find the perfect home resort? Direct or resale? Big or small?

Thank you so much for your advice!
It’s a buyers market right now!

It’s a buyers market right now!
Unless you are looking at a small points contract at a popular (though "older" resort -looking at you BRV lol!) Even then there maybe some lee-way, just don't expect as good as 'deal' as a higher point contract- with good reason, of course since small contracts (under 100 points) are harder to come by!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter