Screaming children

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parents have to know their children and know when to listen when a child says that they're scared. When I was at WDW in Feb there was a man trying to force his son on Rock N Roller Coaster. The boy was very upset and had no desire to ride. I don't think he got him on the ride, unless it was after I was already on it. The boy was even old enough to wait at the exit while his dad rode if the dad was just concerned about not missing out.

That same trip my 4yo didn't want to ride Splash Mt and told me so. I do know him, though, and knew that he would love it. I told him that it was a boat ride and he then rode it, not realizing where he was. He did love it and we rode it a couple more times. But I knew he would love it and wouldn't have forced him if I hadn't of felt certain of that. I also knew that if he didn't love it that he wasn't the type to be traumatized by the experience like some kids are. To force a child to go on something that is overly scary not only ruins the experience for the child, but it ruins the experience for everyone in hearing range. Not fun!

My son is counting the inches before he can ride RnR, not to mention the Universal coasters, so he really likes thrill rides.

T&B

I just got back from a week with a very large group of friends ranging in age from 1 yo to 75 years, including 2 3yo's.

I don't have kids, but have always been a kid-magnet and am auntie to lots of little ones. Now, I have known this party for years, and knew what to expect.

It was Auntie Bavaria who took the kids outside when they got too noisy in the restaurants, who jumped off the boat in the loading area of Pirates etc when the kids panicked, fought the pre-Wishes crowd at 850pm to get one more ride on Pooh (must have been the 50th time that trip!), distracted the kids from the wonders of the Emporium when they got shopping fever, etc etc etc.

When I got home I realized that I didn't go on Space, Splash, anything at AK, or even Spaceship Earth this trip. I saw Wishes 6 times and Illuminations 0. I am ok with that, since I go often enough, and can always go again. There were days when we only went on half a dozen rides, since that was the pace of the group.

This trip was about the kids for me, and I know what has bothered me in the past while I am trying to enjoy dinner or a ride. Now, had these been my own kids full time, maybe I would not have been such an active 'distractor'.

No, I didn't get to do my favourite things this trip. I didn't get to have a quiet dinner with my friend to catch up. We had 3 kids under age four, plus Grandma who doesn't get around too quickly, and we tried to be realistic as to what could be done in one week with that type of group. For a lot of people, unfortunately, though, the trip to WDW is the 'trip of a lifetime' or the one time that they can afford to go, so they may try and squeeze in everything they can. I feel bad for those people, since I know that nobody can see all of WDW in even two weeks.

I'm a mom of 2 and I live in NYC, so my kids get exposed to a lot at a young age. I would NEVER take them to the movies (but hey, I don't really let them stay up past 8) if it wasn't a kids' movie, but as far as tantrums go, I have one thing to say to all those people who think they know better...PEOPLE IN GLASS HOUSES SHOULDN"T THROW STONES...

Originally posted by foofanella
I'm a mom of 2 and I live in NYC, so my kids get exposed to a lot at a young age. I would NEVER take them to the movies (but hey, I don't really let them stay up past 8) if it wasn't a kids' movie, but as far as tantrums go, I have one thing to say to all those people who think they know better...PEOPLE IN GLASS HOUSES SHOULDN"T THROW STONES...

I totally agree. The boy that I witnessed on the Riverboat, however, was WAY over the top and had a parent that brought him did next to nothing. This little boy kicked a little girl (and tried to do it again) who was just sitting watching the storytelling, disrupted the storyteller, went up to a lady dressed as a pirate and insisted that she have her eye patch on her eye (physically putting it on her eye a couple times), etc.

My son is difficult, to put it mildly, but I remove him from a situation if he gets an attitude, etc.

Bavaria, you're welcome to come with me to WDW anytime! What a nice auntie you are--the kids and parents are lucky to have you.

T&B

Oh, just to clarify, I was happy to do it for seven days, I would probably not want to do much more than that at one time!

Interesting though, that mum of one child says that her child is a terror, and when I met up with them uncle said that she had been whining the whole time.

Not a whine when I was there, but again it takes a lot of energy and time to keep kids amused and happy on such a long trip, and frankly I don't expect most parents can do that 24 hours a day.

This group was really lucky to have a high ratio of adults to kids, and most families have an equal or greater ratio of KIDS to adults. It must be tough for those families.

I have just learned that I shouldn't expect much adult time when travelling with the kids. Also my friends learn to take me along! (I have another trip to WDW coming up where I will be Auntie Bavaria to another 3 yo, since her mum doesn't look forward to taking her alone):tongue:

In our family the kids outnumber us 2 to 1. That's what we get for having 4 kids! (in other words, what was I thinking??? ;) ).

I'll have to say, this trip to WDW sans children was the best trip that my DH has ever had and I guess the same for me. Normally we have to do so much compromising to make a trip work with 4 children of very different ages and my DH tends to not request things that will make him happy (on the easygoing side when it comes to what he would like to do). This trip was so centered around what he would like to do. I made sure that I went on Tower of Terror lots of times, which is what makes me happy, but I will be down there 2 more times before my AP expires, so I will have plenty of chances to see what I want to see.

And the best part was when there was a screaming child I could have empathy for the parents and understanding for the child, but I didn't have to deal with it! :teeth:

T&B

My own recommendation for dealing w/ unruly kids is to talk to the parents if a CM refuses to get involved. "I'm sure you don't realize it, but...." But, I always start by asking a CM to get involved. I have also been known to throw an evil child or 2 The Death Glare -- and am here to tell you they will NEVER misbehave in public again. Although, I have to admit that my mother smacked the hand of a child who walked up to our table & took a roll from our bread basket. That child, also, will never do THAT again.

I always like to encourage good behavior by encouraging good parents. At Disneyland, I complimented a young couple on the behavior of their daughter. They looked stunned & said she had actually been acting out a bit. My mother & I were sure to say that THEY may see it, but from our vantage point, it was a pleasure to have them at the next table.

Originally posted by Tigger&Belle
Parents have to know their children and know when to listen when a child says that they're scared. When I was at WDW in Feb there was a man trying to force his son on Rock N Roller Coaster. The boy was very upset and had no desire to ride. I don't think he got him on the ride, unless it was after I was already on it. The boy was even old enough to wait at the exit while his dad rode if the dad was just concerned about not missing out.

That same trip my 4yo didn't want to ride Splash Mt and told me so. I do know him, though, and knew that he would love it. I told him that it was a boat ride and he then rode it, not realizing where he was. He did love it and we rode it a couple more times. But I knew he would love it and wouldn't have forced him if I hadn't of felt certain of that. I also knew that if he didn't love it that he wasn't the type to be traumatized by the experience like some kids are. To force a child to go on something that is overly scary not only ruins the experience for the child, but it ruins the experience for everyone in hearing range. Not fun!

My son is counting the inches before he can ride RnR, not to mention the Universal coasters, so he really likes thrill rides.

T&B

I very much agree with T&B (especially since we were at WDW together and JUST missed eachother) LOL

I KNOW my DD. I KNOW when she needs a nap and i KNOW when she is hungry. I think she is slightly hypoglycemic (spelling sorry) because a horrible attitude is turned completely around with 1/2 an apple. On our FEB trip we did daily breaks. We even would do one park in the AM , go rest and return just for the nighttime festivities.. (Fantasmic etc). Being said. After a HORRIBLE day at MGM I knew she needed her rest and called and canceled our 8:05 CRT. YES, I ate the $25 deposit because i knew she needed to sleep in. She did and we had a WONDERFUL day.

Not all parents are screaming children ignorers, and I love to be complimented on mine when she's being good. Its shocking to be complimented, but I've always worked in customer service and I know that more people complain about the bad then compliment the good any day! The night we did AK/MK in the morning, rested, then did MGM-Fantasmic at night was our best day of the trip (our last even). She was so good and so grown up all day (almost 3 at the time). At Fantasmic she sat so good and ate very nicely (we got food on the way to our seats and made it 'dinner'). There was an older couple behind us and I really would have LOVED to hear a "gosh . she's great" because she WAS! She and I left to go potty and she tripped up the steps.. they picked then to frown at me.. but oh well. I KNOW my kid is AWESOME!

Point (because gosh I'm rambling).. yes there are parents who let their kids act up.. but YES there are us who don't and we'd like a pat on the back now and again. THANKS!

Originally posted by SuzieQMomof3
Here's my .02 for those with kids who switch from angel to less-than-so in a heartbeat: take him/her to the doctor. If your child is acting up unreasonably for no clear reason, the answer is probably medical. Kids don't know how to tell you that something hurts or they are tired, they just get grumpy. Have the child's hearing tested at the very least and see about having her sleeping habits tested.

I have 4 kids and I know personalities are different, but children shouldn't be so unhappy for "no good reason."

I fully agree. As you can see in my post.. my daughter does this. I have tried different things and and there and finally know whats wrong. Blood sugar! Plain and simple. Now she doesn't have a well check til April, so until then I'll track and diary to see if the Dr agrees.. but my DD can be very nice very peaceful.. and the next minute be kicking her Aunt Jenny (who she loves).. Settle her down, give her an orange, apple (any other sugary fruit) and she is nice and peaceful again. Doesn't work with crackers or sodium foods.

I encourage this mom to have some things checked and try to look into the blood sugar aspect. Or talk to the ped... GOOD LUCK!

Originally posted by Tigger&Belle
I also do not like the walkie-talkie feature on some cell phones! Like you pointed a out a person has to listen to both sides of the conversation and then there is the annoying static sounds! I can deal with that outside, but sure don't like it in a restaurant or store.

T&B

My mother does this and I honestly hate it. I always ask her to go outside. We'll be out to eat and she'll get her phone and call my stepdad (he travels to NY for work A LOT). She'll talk to him then give the cell ph to Catherine (DD) to talk to him. She doesn't always WANT to talk on the phone so then she has this squirm NO moment then mom talks more. GEESH.. GO OUTSIDE MOM! I roll my eyes at her and ask her to end the call or go outside. I turn my ph on vibe when I'm out to eat... plain and simple. This way I know it ringing in case its an emergency but nobody around me does, and if I'm going to answer it I excuse myself.

Originally posted by catherines_mama
I very much agree with T&B (especially since we were at WDW together and JUST missed eachother) LOL

One day we will meet up, I just know it! lol Have you made your October trip yet? My DH and I were at WDW the end of Sept/early Oct.

I'm always ready to fall over when someone tells me that my son is well behaved or that they enjoy watching him (that happens when we're at his big bro's baseball games sometimes). He is very entertaining and can be so sweet, but can turn nasty quickly.

He's as smart as he can be, though, and I think a bit too sensitive to his surroundings. It's hard with other children who like to rile him up, either on purpose or not. This, too, shall pass... ::yes::

I do want to have Jake's hearing tested since he seems to "not hear" an awful lot. I know he's probably ignoring and/or not listening to begin with, but I should cover all the bases.

T&B

Just rocketed back from an unscheduled overnight stop at Disneyland Paris - totally fab!

Thought I'd post here and say there were absolutely NO screaming kids anywhere; the adults were supremely well behaved, the weather was ok for France (well, it IS October); my plane for home left on time. First posting from me that does not contain a whine, whinge or moan.

Off to WDW in 2.5 weeks. Hope it's warm and sunny!!

I have one for you.

I work at a banqet hall and we had a party for HIGH SCHOOL boys (awards for sports).

We were told to take off the sugar bowls, butter dishes and salt and pepper shakers because they would make a mess with them.

My 3 and 5 year old know better than to make a mess out of that stuff, what the heck are these parents teaching their kids?

By the way, this was for a school in a very upscale town, you would think someone would have taught these snotty little toads some manners.:mad:

lunabkat

Something that might interest/scare the wits out of you! Some kids in the UK are having to be taught basic table manners at school (including how to use knives, forks and spoons) as they're not taught this at home! Imagine what would happen if you're confronted by a plate of corned beef hash for lunch (or something similar) and you try to eat THAT with your fingers??! So many kids eat fast food as a main meal that they never use cutlery - so it comes as a big surprise when they have to learn to do that, as well as keeping their mouths closed when they chew. UUGGHHH!

Originally posted by justhat
Okay, WDW isn't just for the 'well-behaved' child, but for the 'terrors' as well. To say that you understand children fully before you become a parent is impossible.
There really aren't any 'well-behaved' children, and thinking there are shows one of the things you learn when you have a child. Those children you see sitting quietly in their strollers as their parents roll them along may just be the same ones you see later throwing a fit in the Biergarten because Mom said she couldn't get the stuffed giraffe in Der Teddybar. Different things set off different kids and sometimes as a parent you don't know what that's going to be. that comes after it. As a child psychologist (who's currently a SAHM), people will be coming to me for advice on these issues and there's not really any solution.

It's possible that the kids you see acting out would be worse if the parent tried yelling at them, removing them, etc. Sometimes they just need to work through their own feelings on their own time. If we constantly help them act the way they are 'supposed' to, they will never learn how to modulate their feelings and behavior on their own. I'm not saying that if a child is jumping up and down screaming and throwing things that he should remain in the restaurant until his fit is over, but just giving you some insight as to why this might be the case. Some parents feel that if they give attention to a tantrum then it will only get worse or that the child will do it more, so they feel that by ignoring their child's tantrum, it will end faster and happen less frequently. This may not be true for all parents, but I know that's how some feel based upon my professional experience. Even those who do attend to their child's tantrum may have times when they just ignore them as well. If it's the hundreth tantrum the child has had that day, maybe they need a break from the screaming so they ignore it. I'm sorry that you then have to listen to it, but it's bound to happen when you're surrounded by millions of kids. If a family like that will ruin your meal, then don't vacation at a resort where there are millions of kids cause inevitably, their will be families like that.

Personally, screaming kids don't bother me, even before I had my daughter. I can continue with my meal, show, etc. without a problem, especially at WDW since I go there with the expectation of seeing kids everywhere, even 'bad' ones. Almost every kid in the world has a meltdown at some point, some more than others, so given all the kids you see at one time in WDW you're bound so see quite a few of them. You should vacation there with that in mind, and if you don't think that way and think all parents should parent their kids in only the ways you approve of then you should vacation at an adults-only resort.

This was an excellent post. I too had unreasonable expectations of children before I had one. No matter what any of these childless people think you can never even come close to understanding children unless you have one of your own and actually experience the 24/7 with them. As for the same sex couple posting I am guessing most of your friends do not have children, and that you really have no clue as to expectations of children's behaviors. Yes, Disney is for families of all types, however you need to get real about judging parenting skills with just a glimpse of the life of a few families at a place like Disney.
The bottom line is Disney is primarily for Children, to go to Disney and expect perfect parents and perfect children is a fantasy. Parenting is the hardest task you will ever face, mistakes will be made and triumphs will occur. I agree as a parent it is difficult to see others not doing a good job as parents. You will be a lot happier if you have some tolerance and realize each parent is doing the best job they know how to do. In closing if you want a vacation that is free of misbehaving children and poor parenting take a vaction where there are few or no children. Going to Disney is setting yourself up for frustration.

Feel free to flame me. I can take it.

Originally posted by suzifli
This was an excellent post. I too had unreasonable expectations of children before I had one. No matter what any of these childless people think you can never even come close to understanding children unless you have one of your own and actually experience the 24/7 with them. As for the same sex couple posting I am guessing most of your friends do not have children, and that you really have no clue as to expectations of children's behaviors. Yes, Disney is for families of all types, however you need to get real about judging parenting skills with just a glimpse of the life of a few families at a place like Disney.
The bottom line is Disney is primarily for Children, to go to Disney and expect perfect parents and perfect children is a fantasy. Parenting is the hardest task you will ever face, mistakes will be made and triumphs will occur. I agree as a parent it is difficult to see others not doing a good job as parents. You will be a lot happier if you have some tolerance and realize each parent is doing the best job they know how to do. In closing if you want a vacation that is free of misbehaving children and poor parenting take a vaction where there are few or no children. Going to Disney is setting yourself up for frustration.

Feel free to flame me. I can take it.

*edited--------- because if I can't say something nice I won't say anything at all.:rolleyes:

It always amazes me to hear people continually falling back on the "Disney is for children" argument. The powers that be at Disney obviously realized a long time ago that many, many adults enjoy the resort every bit as much as children--sometimes maybe more so, because adults can appreciate the enormous amount of energy and innovative work that went into creating all the World has to offer. If WDW was primarily for children, there would be no Pleasure Island, no Boardwalk, no lounges anywhere, no ride on property with height limitations, no gourmet restaurants such as California Grill, Jiko, and Victoria's and Alberts, no spas, no shops featuring anything other than children's merchandise, no pro-level golf courses...the list goes on and on. WDW was designed to appeal to many people of many ages and backgrounds and continues to evolve along those lines; it is much more than the Dumbo ride and It's a Small World in MK.

Yes Disney has adult activities, I never said it didn't. It is delusional to think Disney is not PRIMARILY for CHILDREN, also the majority of adults at Disney are PARENTS, who utilize the adult oriented services with the help of the babysitting services in and around Disney.

Suzifli: Well, I'm not a pollster in the parks or a professional statistician, so I can't say how many adults at the World are parents and how many are childfree. But I know there are many child-free folks on this thread alone, and I also see many singles and couples without kids when my DH and I visit the World, which is frequently. I also see posts here from parents who are traveling sans children, and I've met many childfree-for-today couples at the World as well. I'm not going to call you names and lable you as delusional because you don't agree with me. But perhaps you would feel more comfortable posting on the family board, rather than the solo adults and couples one, since that is how you travel to the parks and how you filter your experiences.

On another note, my DH and I were at the World during Hurricane Jeanne. We didn't run into a screaming child situation this time, but we did run into a few adults "acting out." For example, immediately after the hurricane passed, when our resort (OKW) reopened on a skeleton staff, a few "grownups" were complaining loudly because they had to wait too long for a drink at the bar (there was only one server and the line was out the door and down the patio) or because their chicken wings were taking too long (again, the kitchen was operating on a limited staff and menu). Just goes to show that maturity and manners--or the lack thereof--aren't an age-based thing.

Wow, I just stumbled onto this board and thread. I thought it was going to be what it said "Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers" but I see it has been, like most things at Disney (the elimination of the lunch service at the Norway pavilion being the most recent) it has been taken over by children and their parents who feel that their child is different / an angel and can do what ever they want.

I have got to stick up for a fellow Hoosier, Underdesea, and agree that to think that Disney is only for children is absurd. I also agree with Underdesea that if posters want to keep extoling the virtues of parenthood, they need to go to another thread.

Those of us without children get it - you love your kids and if we met you we would probably enjoy them as well. But that does not mean that Disney World is only about them. It is for me and my wife too. We enjoy the restaurants, the entertainment, the rides, the technology, the attention to detail, the customer service and the history. Of those reasons, it is more than likely that a child can only appreciate one or two of those reasons.

For goodness sakes, look at the Disney Stores. As recently as five years ago, it was a cool place to shop for unique Disney stuff. Just by going to the Disney Store was like a mini trip to The World. But the big boys decided that it should be more about kids and *kaboom* suddenly there was nothing interesting and everything was Pooh and Toy Story - the kind of stuff already stocking the shelves at Kmart.

Sorry, gotta get this high horse back to the stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter