Red Cross Will NOT Stop Calling--VENT!

Pink Partridge

DIS Veteran
I donated blood last month. I now get up to six calls a day from the Red Cross. They tell me they will take me off the calling list, and next day I get several calls that I just let go to the answering machine.

Today I talked to someone and they said "I can take you off for a month".

NO! Take me off forever.

"We can't do that".

Why?

"It's not our policy"

Huh? At what point is it harassment? I have told you not to call me and you continue to call.

Click!

Their tactics are awful.

Thank you for letting me vent.

That's strange. I've donated blood many, many times and have never had such harrassment. Do you have a rare blood type? Even so, they should not be doing that to you. I hope you can get it resolved and feel comfortable donating again.

I donated blood last month. I now get up to six calls a day from the Red Cross. They tell me they will take me off the calling list, and next day I get several calls that I just let go to the answering machine.

NO! Take me off forever.

"We can't do that".

Why?

"It's not our policy"

Huh? At what point is it harassment? I have told you not to call me and you continue to call.

Click!

Their tactics are awful.

What are they trying to get you to do? Donate again? Don't you have to wait at least 6 weeks between donations?

I also get calls and texts from them ALL THE TIME. I have blocked numerous numbers on my phone associated with them, they then call with another number so I block that. I hear your frustration.

My DH donated platelets once a month for years. Never had an issue until the last 3-4 times - the techs got careless, and the very last time, it wasn't until he got to the car that he realized the arms of his (dark blue) shirt were soaked through with blood. He went back in and while he got rebandaged, the tech shrugged and told him "You'll survive." It's been about 4 years and he hasn't been back. They have called him at least once a week since then. He's not confrontational, so he won't tell them to stop, but he did say that he'd moved (the truth - we're closer to a different office now). As a result, he now gets calls from all the Red Cross offices in the region :worried:

I would just flat out tell them that as a result of their harrassment you will no longer donate

Such a shame. The blood is so needed, yet the telephone harassment and the abrupt rudeness of the nurses likely turns off so many people. I know the need must be dire right now because we are being bombarded with calls and just yesterday I saw that the Catholic parish down the street from my mother's home had a blood drive going on while masses were still running. I've never seen that happening before. Our church holds our drives on Monday nights.

In case anyone is unaware their calls are not subject to Do Not Call Registry.

The next time they call, tell them you are reporting them to the BBB and the Attorney General's Office for your state, and see if that helps

Since charities are exempt from the Do Not Call law, I doubt calling the BBB or AG will worth your time.

NO! Take me off forever.

"We can't do that".

Why?

"It's not our policy"

Click!

Their tactics are awful.

You could try this form to fill out since telling them over the phone didn't work and select Contact Preferences (Blood Donors) under the Inquiry Type and then describe that you want to opt out of receiving phone calls: https://www.redcross.org/contact-us/general-inquiry.html From the FAQs that's where you would go to "To let us know how you would like us to contact you, or to opt-out of receiving phone calls, e-mails, texts or mail from the Red Cross, go to the following links:"

There's also an Inquiry Type for Concern/Complaint though I don't know if that would get you opted out or not that way.

Since charities are exempt from the Do Not Call law, I doubt calling the BBB or AG will worth your time.

They may be exempt, but they are still harassing the OP with the calls. So filing a report with both I suggested , or at least telling the Red Cross you are doing so, may slow them down or stop them altogether. I have had luck doing both when I was getting calls constantly from 'exempt' parties in the past.

I'm sorry that's happening to you, but, sincerely, thank you for your blood donation. It saves lives.

That's weird. I used to get calls from them every 6 weeks and also in emergencies since I am o-. I was able to easily get off their list when I was unable to donate anymore due to health issues. In your case, it might be a "white lie" but maybe tell them you are unable to donate. Of course, the calls will probably start again if you go in to donate!

It really makes me sad when bad employees or volunteers make lives unpleasant for the donors. It's such an important cause.

It sounds like you somehow got on multiple lists? I know it was a few years back, but I never got more than the periodic reminders, even when I didn't donate for a while.

Sadly the Red Cross isn't the same as it used to be. Not that that long ago Red Cross branch was run locally, with a local board and a lot of local decision making. That changes, the local boards were disbanded and the locations are now just a training and fund raising office. I knew several Board members that were on the local Red Cross board, when news came down they pretty much all quit en masse.

Chances are the person calling you isn't even a Red Cross volunteer but you're getting calls from a call center. I'd try this Red Cross # 1-800-733-2767 and see if they can assist you, don't bother complaining to the call center person.

They may be exempt, but they are still harassing the OP with the calls. So filing a report with both I suggested , or at least telling the Red Cross you are doing so, may slow them down or stop them altogether. I have had luck doing both when I was getting calls constantly from 'exempt' parties in the past.

Glad it worked for you. Last I heard from (former) Red Cross employees, their call system (at least here) doesn't permit workers to delete, our note, that the person doesn't want to be contacted.

Of course the entire Do Not Call system is a joke. Not only is anyone you have ever contacted or done business.....and ALL their business partners.... have a legal right to call you, the last person who called told me when I told them I was on the Do Not Call list...."no you're not".....while I am looking my number up on the Do Not Call list, and it says my number is listed.

Red Cross has become a "sales" and growth focused entity. I work closely with those who organize our Red Cross Blood Drives at our church. The demands that the Red Cross has on our church member volunteers to promote and push and schedule people through phone calls and sign up after church for their blood drives is a put off for me in wanting to give.

I am a timid giver anyway as I have hard to find veins. I want to give, but it is a rare, good technician who can find my one vein and keep it going for the needed pint. After I gave in April, I wound up anemic, so I am waiting for a while to give.

Does your phone company have a block calls feature? I have Verizon and if I see that an unknown number has called several times and did not leave a message, I go into the app and block them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter