• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Reasons for no gratuity in 2008 DDP???

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, we're exporting these aspects of our national culture to other countries. However, your point is well-taken and right on-target.

Funny, I do that, but the net result is zero: Yes, the place is busy so I know to expect a delay. However, again, the place is busy so I know the server is getting tipped by more people. Therefore, just tip based on the quality of the service you receive, and so the server gets a mediocre tip from a bunch of people instead of a great tip from a few people.

Wow, all I can say is I hope you are never at my table (though you would get great service regardless).

In reply to other comments from you, bicker, I agree that when a customer asks a Disney rep why the change in DDP gratuity, the customer rep should not give a reason, or give a generic reason like "inflation". That is the heart of this whole post.

Disney guest reps are blaming the change on servers. First off, even if this was true, they shouldn't say it. Secondly, it is exactly not true and completely false. Am I saying the customer rep should give the real reason? No. Should they blame the little man either? NO.

The real complaint is the removal of the included gratuity without the corresponding ($5-$10 /guest/day) reduction in the cost of the plan. The guests real complaint is with the price increase of the plan. Disney wanted to make the dining plan more profitable. The collective bargaining agreement allowed Disney to take this approach in raising prices. Dropping the gratuity and appetizer is probably a lot easier to market then a $10-$15 price increase. Some people think $40 is price point, certainly $50 would be.

"Blaming" guest who complained about not being able adjust a tip for service or "blaming greedy servers" who thought they might be able to earn more then 18% if the tips were off the plan (I doubt they would and I doubt they think that) is "blaming" the wrong parties. Disney decided they want to make the plan more profitable. It's that simple. Disney probably wants to sell fewer dining plans.

I'll agree with one of Bicker's earlier posts on this subject. Too many DDP guests tip low and the "solution" might be to treat DDP guests the same as DDE guests will be treated in 2008. Add An automatic 18% service charge to the checks of all guests using the DDP plan. Disney won't be able to make this change prior to 2009, I'm not sure what Disney will do, if anything, if too many free DDP guests stiff the servers in 2008. I don't see Disney going back to including the tip.

Depending on how it's used the 2008 deluxe dining plan might turn out to be as "overly generous" as the 2007 regular dining plan.

We pay our servers $2.25/hr (so that they aren't TAXED as much), and let's make it perfectly clear that "servers on average", DO NOT REPORT 100% of their tips, otherwise, they'd owe taxes....I think they should make the minimum wage and pay the taxes due on 100% of their income, like everyone else in America does (unless your subsidized).

Stepping off soapbox....

I think that this may be true but the amount of income not claimed is not as high as you may believe. Most restaurants insist that their wait staff claim a certain percentage of their checks so in some cases these servers may be claiming income not made. I a lot of cases 100% of income is claimed. My DS had it all taken care of him through his employer.

We are going to be 6 persons at most TS meals when we go in January. So I know I am going to be charged 18% gratuity on these meals. What is the basis for that 18%. Is it the value of the menu items, or the value of the TS portion of the DDP package? There could be a substantial difference depending on the menu items chosen.

I think it is a good idea that it is not included. I have noticed that being on the dining plan has not resulted in good service. Maybe with people having to tip out of pocket, the servers in the restaurants will give better service along with a better attitude.

While on the dining plan, if I get excellent service, I leave an extra tip outside of that. In all of my visits to WDW using the dining plan, I have only left an extra tip once.

We are going to be 6 persons at most TS meals when we go in January. So I know I am going to be charged 18% gratuity on these meals. What is the basis for that 18%. Is it the value of the menu items, or the value of the TS portion of the DDP package? There could be a substantial difference depending on the menu items chosen.

It is based on the menu prices of the items. If your total bill would have been $100 OOP, then you are charged $18 for the gratuity.

I think it is a good idea that it is not included. I have noticed that being on the dining plan has not resulted in good service. Maybe with people having to tip out of pocket, the servers in the restaurants will give better service along with a better attitude.

While on the dining plan, if I get excellent service, I leave an extra tip outside of that. In all of my visits to WDW using the dining plan, I have only left an extra tip once.

We had the exact opposite experience. Our one bad server was on a meal that we were paying OOP. All of our DDP experiences were excellent.

I think it has more to do with the server themselves and less to do with how the meal is being paid for.

Menu price of the items ordered.

Ok, this is a general questioned from a person who tried the DDP plan once and didn't like it so never went back, so I'm asking this in all seriousness.

From an outside observer, it seems like a lot of stess associated the with DDP. First it was the old split/no split credits problems, then it was a heated debate over what was or was not included with snack credits, then we moved onto the child credits & lack of good food issue and now it seems every one is in an uproar over the loss of the gratituity. Why do you (collective use of the word "you") still pay for it?
I've been going to Disney for the last 20 years, they always have had some type of food plan and they have always changed it and will probably do so for the next 20 years. Isn't it as simple as, it either works for your family or its of no big value and you don't purchase it?

I'm on the downhill slide to 50 so for me I want a vacation as stress free as humanely possible no matter where I travel to, but it seems the DDP has caused way more anxiety than any other plan before.

Above poster (Eliza)...we do the DDP and love it. We are a family of 3, two adults and one 11 year old who is classified as an adult. Sometimes she orders from the adult menu, sometimes she orders from the kids. We don't care, whatever she wants to eat, eat it. We know they are going to hit us for an adult TS and we anticipate that. For us not having to schlep that extra $1000 there and keep up with it or worry about hitting our debit card too much, it's worth it! I am very relaxed about food on the plan. DH and I considered not doing this year but it didn't change the meals we wanted to pick and so we decided to keep it. We did do the math and decided we were still getting a good deal.

Above poster (Eliza)...we do the DDP and love it. We are a family of 3, two adults and one 11 year old who is classified as an adult. Sometimes she orders from the adult menu, sometimes she orders from the kids. We don't care, whatever she wants to eat, eat it. We know they are going to hit us for an adult TS and we anticipate that. For us not having to schlep that extra $1000 there and keep up with it or worry about hitting our debit card too much, it's worth it! I am very relaxed about food on the plan. DH and I considered not doing this year but it didn't change the meals we wanted to pick and so we decided to keep it. We did do the math and decided we were still getting a good deal.

Whew,
Thanks stichlover, My secretary is planning her first trip to WDW next april. I foolishly told her to check out these boards to get some info. Bad idea! From all the post, the poor girl doesn't know if she should boycott WDW because of all the poor cm's getting stiffed from their gratuity or she's worried that she'll need a degree in Accounting just to keep track of credits. :confused3
Glad to see some sanity. :headache:

DIS is filled with "Disney geeks". Sites like mousesavers and allears do a better job providing good information for "normal guests". Actually the non-forum version of this site http://www.wdwinfo.com/ is also a good resource.

A few guests wanted to use, or at least talk about using, the DDP in ways not anticipated by Disney. Using it to treat guests not on the plan for example. Guest did that by stretching credits. That involved trying to use "kid" credits for adult meals, discovering restaurants that serve entree sized appetizer (for sharing) and trying to figure out where they can get snacks that serve as meal replacements. Guests that plan their entire vacation around taking advantages of "loopholes" fear those loopholes will be closed before their trip, hence the stress.

Make the plan simple. It's designed to provide 1 CS and 1 TS meal per guest per day (really night). Have breakfast in your room or pay cash. Have a CS lunch and a TS dinner. TOO MUCH Food? Leave food on your plate or don't order everything you're allowed. Guests don't see the need to sample every item at the buffet.

Snacks are indicated with the DDP logo. They are suppose to be single serving sized. Don't count on a box of donuts or a quart (or larger) bottle of milk. In other words don't streess out if you don't get "EXTRAs".

Price out the DDP compared to what you'd spend if you're paying cash. If the savings is enough to warrant package restrictions book it.

Whew,
Thanks stichlover, My secretary is planning her first trip to WDW next april. I foolishly told her to check out these boards to get some info. Bad idea! From all the post, the poor girl doesn't know if she should boycott WDW because of all the poor cm's getting stiffed from their gratuity or she's worried that she'll need a degree in Accounting just to keep track of credits. :confused3

Too many DDP guests tip low and the "solution" might be to treat DDP guests the same as DDE guests will be treated in 2008. Add An automatic 18% service charge to the checks of all guests using the DDP plan.
I've been saying for a long time that I wished Disney would follow the lead of many, many resort destinations worldwide and include a "service charge" in EVERY restaurant and bar bill, regardless of how the guest is paying. (I'm talking about TS only, not CS or snack) 18% would probably be a bit high if included in every single check, so I'd suggest 15%, which is pretty standard at most resorts.

With 15% added to every check, the servers would get a respectable tip from both the people who just enjoy stiffing them and those who hide behind "Oh, I didn't know...." And those of us who usually do tip could certainly tip more than the 15% for good service. And - really no different than the system today - if a guest felt the service did not warrant a tip, they could talk to a manager and have it taken off their check.

[ETA: The other good thing about a universal 15% service charge is that it would be fair. Why should you have to pay 18% because you are using a DDE card, but I don't have to pay it because I'm just paying cash? Why should you have to pay 18% because you have Grandma and 3 kids for a party of six, and I don't have to pay it for my family of three? All of those inequities would be gone, and everyone would be treated the same.]

A common argument against this strategy is "But my family couldn't afford to eat at those restaurants if we had to tip 15%." That's a valid complaint, and the remedy is not to eat at places you can't afford...or at places who have prices higher than you choose to pay.

Whew,

We love America and Disney the most.:love:

Tell your sercetary that she will have a great time,we fly across half the globe just to get a little Pixie Dust.:rotfl:

I'm planning on booking the bounceback offer when I'm at CSR starting Sept. 16. Would I rather have the tip included and still have the appetizer? Sure.

But I'm not going to pass up this offer since you still get plenty of food and hey - it's basically $800 off my budget if I book a moderate. We'll enjoy some fun character meals and relaxing table service meals instead of all counter service. Typically we've paid for the dining plan in the past and used a AAA discount, so the bounceback promo is much better.

We'll probably still pay OOP for breakfast in the food court, but I've already included that in my budget.

I usually tip 20% (unless the service is really bad), so IMO it's not that hard to take the total x 2 to figure out the tip. I also tip those who clear my table/bring drinks at a buffet. If I can afford my trip, I'll budget enough for the extras like tips.

Just my opinion....
I just returned from moderate, 9 days and after adding up all the receipts for our meals, snacks, 2 adults one junior (treated as an adult ,so technically 3 adults) it added up to just about $1500.00 that Disney paid! Unbelieveable!

I for one have NO PROBLEM with using the FREE promo next year, LOL :rotfl2: , and I still believe it is a good value if we had to pay for the plan o/o/p which was our intention anyway.

The tip will be an inconvenience, as in having to have the right cash with us, and the appetizer removal means we just won't order them for each of us at every meal.
But, I certainly won't be "shorting" the wait staff because of the change, my DH does say I overtip though.
I'm just thrilled to be able to even get the free promo's!! We're already booked for our THIRD time. What Luck!!:cool1:

"Blaming" guest who complained about not being able adjust a tip for service or "blaming greedy servers" who thought they might be able to earn more then 18% if the tips were off the plan (I doubt they would and I doubt they think that) is "blaming" the wrong parties.
Indeed, there is often no blame, despite the great desire to have someone to assign fault to.

Wow, all I can say is I hope you are never at my table (though you would get great service regardless).
If I receive great service, I give a great tip, so I cannot understand why you wouldn't want me at your table. :confused3 The point I made is that the quality of service dictates the tip, not anything else. I cannot imagine what your concern would be about that.

We love America and Disney the most.:love:

Tell your sercetary that she will have a great time,we fly across half the globe just to get a little Pixie Dust.:rotfl:

Awwwwwwwwwwwww. The best post I have read all day!:cloud9:

We signed up for the DDP for next August's trip...our first since 1990.

Sure, I was disappointed to see the changes in the plan; it was a complete STEAL before. Now it's just a decent deal. But even if we break even, it will mean that we don't have to bring a ton of extra money or charge all those meals.

In the real world, there is no dining plan. Whenever we go out to eat, we determine the tip. (We tip a uniform 20%. We round up the bill and divide by 5.) I'm sure that even the most dedicated DIS addict occasionally goes out to eat outside of WDW and faces the issue of how to tip. (In NY, sales tax is 8%. Last year I taught my 7th grade students that when they're in NY they can double the tax.) If the math is a serious concern, hit the dollar store and pick up the smallest calculator you can find. You can easily find one that will fit into a fanny pack. With all the stuff we all schlepp to WDW, it's one more thing that some people may want to consider. (Not us, obviously.)

In the final analysis, the plan is what it is. What it used to be doesn't matter any longer. People should take a look at the numbers as they apply to the trip in question, and determine whether or not the plan seems to make sense for this trip, not compare it to values past. (Remember when there was such a thing as "penny candy"??? The fact that my Tootsie Roll now costs $.69 doesn't mean I'll boycott it because of the change in prices.)

eliza61:
Don't let your secretary get entwined in the depths of these "discussions". Here on the Boards opinons are freely expressed and advice (good and bad ) is also free. "A thosand different experts, a thousand different theories" as the saying goes.
Lewisc is right-just look at the "official" rules, price it out, then decide if it's worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter