Question re: Annual Pass - activate date/FP

jujube2018

Earning My Ears
I’m wondering if anyone who has experience with APs can help with the following.

We are planning several trips to Disney between early Nov 2018 and late Sept 2019. For us, we know the AP is the way to go.

From what I’ve read, given that we will stay on Disney property, we will be eligible to book FPs 60 days before our trip. So, if we were planning to arrive on, say, Nov 5, 60 days would put us approximately Sept 5.

I have also read that you can purchase the AP whenever, but it isn’t valid until you ‘activate’ (I don’t really understand what this means) it.

We obviously don’t want our passes to expire prior to the end of Sept 2019, because we of course want to use them for that trip as well.

So, is it even possible to buy APs and still ensure we would get to book FPs 60 days before the November trip? Or would we only have FP booking become available at, say, Oct 1, ensuring we would have our AP cover us to the end of Sept, 2019?

I hope that made sense... I just wonder how this activation thing works. Basically, if we own/have paid for the APs, can we specify the validity as being October 1, 2018 to October 1, 2019 but still book FPs in early Sept 2018?

Thanks in advance!

Your AP does not "Start" until you enter a park. You can link and make FP+s in advance.

Your AP does not "Start" until you enter a park. You can link and make FP+s in advance.

Thanks. So, basically, entering the park is the ‘activation’ then? So, as long as I have purchased the AP, linked to MDE, I can make FPs at 60 days out, and still have a valid AP for the end of Sept the following year.

Thanks. So, basically, entering the park is the ‘activation’ then? So, as long as I have purchased the AP, linked to MDE, I can make FPs at 60 days out, and still have a valid AP for the end of Sept the following year.
Some ticket you have to stop at GR for ( like if they are FL resident passes) this counts as activating them( some people will do this the day before they enter the parks), but Yes you can add them to MDE book a trip and then book FP before you activate your tickets.

You can buy the AP now. If you buy through Disney it'll be automatically linked to your mde. Book your on site hotel. When your 60 day window comes you can book for the length of your stay at your 60 day mark.

When you get to Orlando you'll need to activate your AP. You can buy your AP today but your year countdown doesn't start until you activate it.

Most people activate it in the morning right before they enter a park, therefore it's activated on your first park day. If you don't want to possibly wait in line in the morning, you can go to Disney Springs the day before and activate it, or any park entrance. If you activate it Nov 5th, 2018.. Then it'll expire Nov 5th, 2019

So, basically, entering the park is the ‘activation’ then? So, as long as I have purchased the AP, linked to MDE, I can make FPs at 60 days out, and still have a valid AP for the end of Sept the following year.

Most people activate it in the morning right before they enter a park, therefore it's activated on your first park day. If you don't want to possibly wait in line in the morning, you can go to Disney Springs the day before and activate it, or any park entrance.
If you activate it Nov 5th, 2018.. Then it'll expire Nov 5th, 2019
There has been a recent change in AP activation procedure/timing.
For example:
You could go to Guest Relations on Nov. 5, 2018 and activate your AP, but not go into a park until Nov. 6, 2018.
Your AP would then be valid through Nov. 6, 2019, as the AP would wait to begin it's "countdown" on the day you enter a park using that AP.

And, yes, as long as you buy an AP certificate in advance, you can book advance FP+ before the AP is activated.

Last edited:
You can buy the AP now. If you buy through Disney it'll be automatically linked to your mde. Book your on site hotel. When your 60 day window comes you can book for the length of your stay at your 60 day mark.

When you get to Orlando you'll need to activate your AP. You can buy your AP today but your year countdown doesn't start until you activate it.

Most people activate it in the morning right before they enter a park, therefore it's activated on your first park day. If you don't want to possibly wait in line in the morning, you can go to Disney Springs the day before and activate it, or any park entrance. If you activate it Nov 5th, 2018.. Then it'll expire Nov 5th, 2019

Excellent. Thanks so much! This is exactly what I was hoping to find out.

There has been a recent change in AP activation procedure/timing.
For example:
You could go to Guest Relations on Nov. 5, 2018 and activate your AP, but not go into a park until Nov. 6, 2018.
Your AP would then be valid through Nov. 6, 2019, as the AP would wait to begin it's "countdown" on the day you enter a park using that AP.

And, yes, as long as you buy an AP certificate in advance, you can book advance FP+ before the AP is activated.

Thanks so much for the updated info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter