Plans have been filed for DVC expansion at Caribbean Beach Resort

I gather that this is similar to ski resort adding more and more timeshare condos which are farther and farther from the ski hill, and then extending the lifts down closer to the condos, branching out, adding new skyway routes, or whatever.

I have no idea if that's what ski resorts actually do, but I understand that they're also prone to condo mania so the same motivation is there to cash in on the public appetite for purchasing 50 years of vacations in advance.

Aulani is also a case of trying to turn a bad location into a good one for condo development, by building on a man-made lagoon close to transportation amenities instead of on an existing, natural lagoon in a more prime and less accessible part of the islands. Sort of like "Caribbean" Beach Resort, it's the "Hawaiian" Beach Resort.

I gather that this is similar to ski resort adding more and more timeshare condos which are farther and farther from the ski hill, and then extending the lifts down closer to the condos, branching out, adding new skyway routes, or whatever.

I have no idea if that's what ski resorts actually do, but I understand that they're also prone to condo mania so the same motivation is there to cash in on the public appetite for purchasing 50 years of vacations in advance.

Aulani is also a case of trying to turn a bad location into a good one for condo development, by building on a man-made lagoon close to transportation amenities instead of on an existing, natural lagoon in a more prime and less accessible part of the islands. Sort of like "Caribbean" Beach Resort, it's the "Hawaiian" Beach Resort.
...b6...BINGO!!!!

It boggles the mind when you think that in only 10 years WDW could be a forest of condo and skyway towers.

Well, not everywhere. Only in the areas immediately surrounding the parks.

Remember the story about how Walt was disgusted when after building Disneyland the power company made a long line of electrical pylons marching up to it? That's why he bought a huge tract of land in Florida ... he had weird ideas about people wanting to vacation in beautiful surroundings or something.

It boggles the mind when you think that in only 10 years WDW could be a forest of condo and skyway towers.

Well, not everywhere. Only in the areas immediately surrounding the parks.

Remember the story about how Walt was disgusted when after building Disneyland the power company made a long line of electrical pylons marching up to it? That's why he bought a huge tract of land in Florida ... he had weird ideas about people wanting to vacation in beautiful surroundings or something.
Yes but his primary concern beyond not being in control of the tackiness was that he couldn't capitalize on the profits. It's romantic to remember the creative aspects of Walt which ran deep but bottom line he was most sincerely invested in making money for his investors

Yes but his primary concern beyond not being in control of the tackiness was that he couldn't capitalize on the profits. It's romantic to remember the creative aspects of Walt which ran deep but bottom line he was most sincerely invested in making money for his investors
Of course Walt cared about money, any head of a company does but Walt didn't cut corners, and do what we see today. Walt pushed for the best and had crazy ideas. Roy was the one who helped keep him in line.

Same goes for Eisner and Wells it was a perfect duo.

Today we just have Iger and it's just not the same.

Of course Walt cared about money, any head of a company does but Walt didn't cut corners, and do what we see today. Walt pushed for the best and had crazy ideas. Roy was the one who helped keep him in line.

Same goes for Eisner and Wells it was a perfect duo.

Today we just have Iger and it's just not the same.

I think the difference was not in the "love of money"...

I think that until circa 1995 they COMMITTED to building quality once the decision to spend the money was made...that's the difference.

Very corner cutting since.

It's romantic to remember the creative aspects of Walt which ran deep but bottom line he was most sincerely invested in making money for his investors

Walt was the creative guy. His need for money wasn't for the investor, it was for him to create the next thing, be it a movie or theme park. It was creativity that drove Walt. Roy was the one who needed to actually come up with the money for Walt's ideas and the shareholders.

Walt was the creative guy. His need for money wasn't for the investor, it was for him to create the next thing, be it a movie or theme park. It was creativity that drove Walt. Roy was the one who needed to actually come up with the money for Walt's ideas and the shareholders.

If you read the materials written about the Disney brothers...and as far as I can tell I have read every one...that's not entirely true.

It's true Walt wanted to build the best as a source of personal pride and has no problem blowing the bank on it. That quality is why he is revered and will likely always be...

But the biographies tend to indicate that Roy fought against the powers that be to take care of his little brothers whims at least as much as he controlled him.

Roy O Disney is the most important figure in what Disney became...Roy E Disney is probably second...

That's why we get to walk around what we can walk around today.

But...Walt was very aware he should be a rich man...the accounts of when Disney divested his name/family from the company both before and after his death were a contentious fight over money between the two...Roy had to be the "bigger man"

This is why I always said that Disney parks are not meant for everyone and where never "affordable" to many...but it was affordable to the middle class and they don't know where to go now...because real wealth isn't going to start walking around magic kingdom in family tie die tshirts with pin lanyards.

They are trying to create their own customers and that's not gonna fly.

I think that until circa 1995 they COMMITTED to building quality once the decision to spend the money was made...that's the difference.

Very corner cutting since.

A prime example of cost cutting is when you compare the length of rides then and now. When rides like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder, Splash, The Land and Kilimanjaro Safaris were designed the debate was obviously "how can we add another scene and make this a longer experience?"

Now the debate is, where can we cut this? What's the shortest track we can build with the smallest footprint?

The assumption that the public's attention span is too short to care is the same mistake as thinking that the public's aesthetic senses are too dull to appreciate the subtleties of harmonious architecture and landscaping of WDW (pre BLT) compared to I-Drive.

If you read the materials written about the Disney brothers...and as far as I can tell I have read every one...that's not entirely true.

It's true Walt wanted to build the best as a source of personal pride and has no problem blowing the bank on it. That quality is why he is revered and will likely always be...

But the biographies tend to indicate that Roy fought against the powers that be to take care of his little brothers whims at least as much as he controlled him.

Roy O Disney is the most important figure in what Disney became...Roy E Disney is probably second...

That's why we get to walk around what we can walk around today.

But...Walt was very aware he should be a rich man...the accounts of when Disney divested his name/family from the company both before and after his death were a contentious fight over money between the two...Roy had to be the "bigger man"

This is why I always said that Disney parks are not meant for everyone and where never "affordable" to many...but it was affordable to the middle class and they don't know where to go now...because real wealth isn't going to start walking around magic kingdom in family tie die tshirts with pin lanyards.

They are trying to create their own customers and that's not gonna fly.
Disney needs another duo like Walt and Roy or Eisner and Wells. This only one guy system isn't working great anymore. Of course we will probably never find another Walt and Roy but I think it's possible to find that duo like Eisner and Wells still.

Disney needs another duo like Walt and Roy or Eisner and Wells. This only one guy system isn't working great anymore. Of course we will probably never find another Walt and Roy but I think it's possible to find that duo like Eisner and Wells still.

The problem is that Roy, the younger knew that and insisted that it be Eisner AND Wells...

Wells was the more accomplished of the two and he yielded to Eisner because of wisdom...and the fact he and Roy went to college together.

This is the danger of a company that has made its billions being a "family" model not having any stewards anymore. It's why the board sucks...and why bob iger renegotiates his own contract now...it's a broken wheel that keeps spinning.

Roy died in 2009...Diane in 2013. And while neither called shots...they had the name and powerful blocks of stockholders that would back them.

Now: nothing.

Wondering how long / quick this could take to get in place, the Peak 2 Peak life in Whistler by Doppelmayr took 18 months from ground breaking, and they were building in MUCH harsher conditions, indeed were often unable to work on the system at all. By comparison I'd think this could be done in less than a year, since they wont be fighting with 10 - 30 feet of snow, crazy terrain, etc.

Edited to note, the London Gondola took less than a year to construct...

Wondering how long / quick this could take to get in place, the Peak 2 Peak life in Whistler by Doppelmayr took 18 months from ground breaking, and they were building in MUCH harsher conditions, indeed were often unable to work on the system at all. By comparison I'd think this could be done in less than a year, since they wont be fighting with 10 - 30 feet of snow, crazy terrain, etc.
It could get done very quickly but Disney wants it open before Star Wars so they have some time. The construction trailers are for more than just the Gondolas.

Well the permitted work for the water retention ponds must be done first. When they bulldoze the section in CBR, and clear the trees to form the route from Trinidad station to DHS we'll know it's game on. I'd think it would be 12 months or less from when you see concrete poured for any building that touches the system.

It could get done very quickly but Disney wants it open before Star Wars so they have some time. The construction trailers are for more than just the Gondolas.

Hold her there, Newt...they are certainly up to something...but until they tell us I think it's best to wait and see. If only because this is so bizarre.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter