Plans have been filed for DVC expansion at Caribbean Beach Resort

Yup, read it again... still says the same thing. Deluxe has the better location and best amenities; value has lessor amenities and worse location. I'm in complete agreement and it's what I've been saying all along. What are you missing?

It wasn't about location...it was about the disparity of accommodation sizes without even touching amenities...(which is huge)

You screamed "prime location!" At Caribbean for pages...but now it seems it's just a part of a bigger scheme...so not quite as prime to dig a canal.

I don't recall you saying that pop and AoA where "prime"? So what now?

What if we include port in this line later? Prime locations?

You're applying to much street thought to fantasyland. This is about massively jacking up rates and ending the hotel categories...that's about money, not location. They own all the land.

Do you realize how close POR is to MK?!

Yup - about 3 miles with a giant lake in between - not close at all.

It's actually reasonably close to the front of epcot, but still about a mile. They COULD link it to the front of Epcot without too much trouble, but it's already got that silly waterway to DS that sells it. CBR is the least popular moderate by a long-shot.

With CBR we are talking < 1000 feet from the Epcot boundary.

Edit: I am talking about "as the crow flies" here - not distances on roads. When you are talking trams/monorails it's much more direct options.

Only 4.3? It looks longer than that on google maps.

If the bus goes around Epcot and up World Drive (Through the MK turnstiles), you're looking at about 5.6 miles.

I do believe that the Magic Kingdom busses from POR go the back way - up past Fort Wilderness and come out at the light just past the turnstiles.

But yeah. That's getting down to tiny details that no one looks into.

It wasn't about location...it was about the disparity of accommodation sizes without even touching amenities...(which is huge)

You screamed "prime location!" At Caribbean for pages...but now it seems it's just a part of a bigger scheme...so not quite as prime to dig a canal.

I don't recall you saying that pop and AoA where "prime"? So what now?

What if we include port in this line later? Prime locations?

You're applying to much street thought to fantasyland. This is about massively jacking up rates and ending the hotel categories...that's about money, not location. They own all the land.

I think size is the least of the 3 issues - being location, amenities, and room size. You are talking typically 325 square feet at a moderate, and maybe 365 square feet at a deluxe. (Sure the older resorts like the Poly are like 400 square feet.) People aren't paying $400 more per night because they have an extra 4 ft x 5 ft space in their hotel room.

Yup - about 3 miles with a giant lake in between - not close at all.

It's actually reasonably close to the front of epcot, but still about a mile. They COULD link it to the front of Epcot without too much trouble, but it's already got that silly waterway to DS that sells it. CBR is the least popular moderate by a long-shot.

With CBR we are talking < 1000 feet from the Epcot boundary.

Edit: I am talking about "as the crow flies" here - not distances on roads. When you are talking trams/monorails it's much more direct options.

Sarcasm...

But actually, Caribbean was not the least popular moderate by a longshot. It was the most popular or close to port Orleans for many years...but the pricing is all out of whack now and they have had inconsistent policies regarding rehabs and amenities.

I think size is the least of the 3 issues - being location, amenities, and room size. You are talking typically 325 square feet at a moderate, and maybe 365 square feet at a deluxe. (Sure the older resorts like the Poly are like 400 square feet.) People aren't paying $400 more per night because they have an extra 4 ft x 5 ft space in their hotel room.

The point is it's not "location, location, location" as repeatedly stated.

And it's not up for debate...this is the history of WDW hotels. There are no "alternative facts"

My BS meter just went off the chart. You show me where you suggested this as an option for connecting Epcot and DHS to CBR and where we ridiculed you for it. You INSISTED water transportation was the way to go, the ONLY way to go, and how cheap and easy it would be to do it.

This is why people are getting confused... misinformation rather than giving credit for what I have said that has been proven true, exactly as I predicted. First, not even 1 time have I ever INSISTED that it must be boat transportation. In fact, I have always insisted the CBR DVC must have direct access but I didn't know exactly what it would be (walking path, 3rd entrance, trams, or something else). I said I thought it would be a boat because that was the easiest and cheapest option and there was a lot of misinformation and exaggerations about logistics and cost about that option but others concluded CBR was closer to Siberia than it was to Epcot so direct access was impossible.

I think proximity of CBR to Epcot and DHS is too much to ignore. I think being one of the oldest properties in the swamp the whole concept of DVC and deluxe, moderate, and value hotels wasn't even in the wildest dreams of park planners when CBR was built. I think the MK / monorail resorts have gotten all the love from DVC in recent years and now it's time for the Epcot area to get some love. I think in today's Disney they don't waste prime real estate on anything but deluxe accommodations which they can charge top dollar for. I think a tower or multiple buildings on the sight and rumored major face lift of Epcot after DHS is complete means 100's millions if not billions in infrastructure changes to the whole Epcot area. I think there is no way they don't include improved transportation or park access to the improvements. I think Disney would rather stick with the DVC model that they know works than blow it up on any type of lower tier system.

... and I did say they where changing the whole Epcot area. You even liked the post.

Last edited:
... and I did say they where changing the whole Epcot area. You even liked the post.

No... you didn't say they were doing anything. You said YOU THINK that there would be changes to the whole infrastructure of Epcot based on a rumor
I think a tower or multiple buildings on the sight and rumored major face lift of Epcot after DHS is complete means 100's millions if not billions in infrastructure changes to the whole Epcot area.

Yeah, I liked the post at the time because it made actual sense and it still does. We've always agreed that this needed access to be DVC or "deluxe". I just disagreed with you that boat access would be it and that it was as simple as you thought.

Take credit if you feel the need to on being "right", but you were no more right than any of us were.

Apologies for the off-topic-ness of this...

Yes - the big trick is insulating against long term price increases. We only ever stayed deluxe once before buying in in 2014, we were concerted Moderate-goers, but seeing the direction of the pricing on hotels, especially the moderates...I wholy expect them to be up near $300 a night 10 years from now. We are heading for a long weekend in November that's costing us 39 points - at the cost weighted average (including buy-in across length of contract and annual dues) of about $8.40 a point, that's $327.60 for 4 nights, which averages to $81.90 per night. I've never paid that little for an on-site stay, not even at a value. Now, this is just about the lowest priced room you can possibly get with DVC, and it's a challenge to get it, but even at twice the price it sure beats $200-250 a night at a moderate. The biggest difficulty is getting over the up-front cost. If you have an unexpected windfall, that's a perfect way to take that money and make it work for your long-time enjoyment. Everytime you watch the fireworks from your balcony you can say "Thank you Grandma.."

Another thing to consider though is the significant opportunity cost of the buy in. Not sure what you paid, but say $85 per point. $85 invested at 5% (very doable over the long run) would be $4.25/ year. So add another $165.75 to the 'cost' of your visit (39 x $4.25). Still comes out to $123 per night which is obviously very good :)

I don't think we ever rejected this because I don't think we ever thought of it. We all agreed that to make this DVC it MUST connect to a park. Where we disagreed was the manner in which they would do it. We all looked to the water way initially and eliminated it because for us, bringing a new transportation system to WDW seemed to be against their current business model.

This was my first thought too. But, mea culpa, I really did not believe that any transportation solution would be extended to AOA/POP. Just plain wrong on that, apparently.

I'm going to reverse course entirely here and bet that the new "CBT", if that's what we're calling it, will be priced at least as high as any other DVC released so far, including VGF and Poly. Probably higher. We're now looking at a shiny new building with excellent transportation to two parks, coinciding with the opening of the much-anticipated release of Star Wars Land and supposedly to be followed by significant investment at EPCOT. Plus the promised improvements at CBR. Whatever you might think about the resort as a whole, that doesn't sound like any kind of recipe for lower point values to me. I hope I'm wrong, but between this news and the recent ticket price hikes, I'm not seeing any evidence that Disney is concerned about the well running dry any time soon.

Another thing to consider though is the significant opportunity cost of the buy in. Not sure what you paid, but say $85 per point. $85 invested at 5% (very doable over the long run) would be $4.25/ year. So add another $165.75 to the 'cost' of your visit (39 x $4.25). Still comes out to $123 per night which is obviously very good :)

Curious why you are crunching those numbers?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter