Passport for child

The customs agent this morning wanted to see DS's passport as his Nexus card is expired, even though it's technically still valid as the renewal has been applied for. Just wanted to mention this in case someone is planning on travelling with just a Nexus card. He didn't need to see DD's passport as her Nexus is good till 2023. So glad we got their passports yesterday.

The customs agent this morning wanted to see DS's passport as his Nexus card is expired, even though it's technically still valid as the renewal has been applied for. Just wanted to mention this in case someone is planning on travelling with just a Nexus card. He didn't need to see DD's passport as her Nexus is good till 2023. So glad we got their passports yesterday.
We had the same experience several months ago crossing the land border with a then expired Nexus. We were taking DD to a concert in Detroit.

That’s the only time in the 8 years the 5 of us have had a Nexus so definitely travel with your kids’ passports if the Nexus is expired (although technically was extended).

Just to add my data - not that it is particularly relevant any longer:

- Mailed 2 child applications on May 5th
- Received in Gatineau May 6th
- Credit card charged June 12
- Called main passport line Aug 3rd for transfer to local office (Scarborough)
- Picked up Aug 15th
- Travel on Aug 17th

Calling passport line took just under an hour (mid morning). Pick up in Scarborough was easy. Arrived just before 2:00 pm, in and out in less than 5 minutes. Lots of employees at door directing flow. There was quite a line of people waiting to submit applications. I was thankful I did not have to wait in those lines but everything looked orderly.

Overall frustrated the process took 14+ weeks, but do acknowledge that I did book travel without having valid travel documents and contributed to the backlog.

I have contacted my MP office , here's hoping they can find out DD5's status!

So a week ago today I got an email saying they had no update...I called today and the update is- it has not been reviewed yet...that's all she knew...she is going to keep calling and said that hopefully that will add some pressure to getting it pushed ahead.
We fly from Kamloops Sept 6th...there's a stat holiday on the 5th, she said that the worst case scenario is that we would need to go to the passport office in Vancouver (4-5 hour drive away) on Friday the 2nd, as they probably won't look at it before then, as they are only looking at urgent cases that are 24-48 hours before travel, so any earlier and we will get turned away.

It's her birthday during the trip too :( this is so stressful.

Finally got ALL of ours today! And all
I can say is that I hope by the time we have to renew, that they have sorted this mess out and things are smooth by then!! Hurrah! Disney here we come!!

Cheryl

Apply early to renew... everyone is going to have them expiring at the same time!
Glad you got them in time. I imagine it was stressful, but now you can go to Disney!

Just to add my data - not that it is particularly relevant any longer:

- Mailed 2 child applications on May 5th
- Received in Gatineau May 6th
- Credit card charged June 12
- Called main passport line Aug 3rd for transfer to local office (Scarborough)
- Picked up Aug 15th
- Travel on Aug 17th

Calling passport line took just under an hour (mid morning). Pick up in Scarborough was easy. Arrived just before 2:00 pm, in and out in less than 5 minutes. Lots of employees at door directing flow. There was quite a line of people waiting to submit applications. I was thankful I did not have to wait in those lines but everything looked orderly.

Overall frustrated the process took 14+ weeks, but do acknowledge that I did book travel without having valid travel documents and contributed to the backlog.
Hi spamuel,
Glad you got the passports on time. When did the passport office call you to pick them up?

I went in person to my Service Canada at the end of May for DD's passport renewal. The lady inputed all the info right there and I got her birth certificate back. I haven't received anything yet but our travel isn't until mid November. I would still like to get it sooner than later so I can stop thinking about it.

Crazy how some people are waiting months for there passport after applying in person at service canada
A friend went in and has in 3 weeks..I went in 3 weeks ago to renew my child's passport at service canada and it arrived yesterday

Crazy how some people are waiting months for there passport after applying in person at service canada
A friend went in and has in 3 weeks..I went in 3 weeks ago to renew my child's passport at service canada and it arrived yesterday
Renewals definitely seem to be going a lot faster than new passports (which makes sense). I submitted my whole family at the same time at the very end of May (two adult renewals, two new ones for the kids). We got the adult renewals over a month ago, but still waiting for the kids ones.

I'm sure if we broke it all down it would be very location based but that certainly doesn't make it any less annoying! Especially since if you submit in person it's mostly just a matter of printing it up.

My son's is now officially late, and I get to play "Find the passport" with Service Canada.

I'm sure if we broke it all down it would be very location based but that certainly doesn't make it any less annoying! Especially since if you submit in person it's mostly just a matter of printing it up.

My son's is now officially late, and I get to play "Find the passport" with Service Canada.
I think u may be onto something there as it seems those of us out west are getting there passports a little quicker
The guy at service canada said it would arrive the week of aug 21.. I joked and asked if that was in 2022 or 2023.. he didn't find it funny 😐
My friend was told the same thing when he went in.. they quoted him 3 weeks
I told him I wouldn't hold my breath as everything I read it's taking months for passports to arrive
It was only after he received his that I headed jnto service canada
Glad I went in as I had planned to mail it..

I think u may be onto something there as it seems those of us out west are getting there passports a little quicker
The guy at service canada said it would arrive the week of aug 21.. I joked and asked if that was in 2022 or 2023.. he didn't find it funny 😐
My friend was told the same thing when he went in.. they quoted him 3 weeks
I told him I wouldn't hold my breath as everything I read it's taking months for passports to arrive
It was only after he received his that I headed jnto service canada
Glad I went in as I had planned to mail it..

Did you pick up your passport at the Service Canada office or did you have it sent to you in the mail? Did you have a travel date on your application that was imminent? Wondering if these things would be taken into account. A friend of mine couriered hers off beginning of June, CC charged end of June and has yet to receive them. We are also in BC. Our travel dates are for October.

Did you pick up your passport at the Service Canada office or did you have it sent to you in the mail? Did you have a travel date on your application that was imminent? Wondering if these things would be taken into account. A friend of mine couriered hers off beginning of June, CC charged end of June and has yet to receive them. We are also in BC. Our travel dates are for October.
They sent it via the mail and I had no travel date set when I applied for the passport as we aren't traveling until December
It was really quick and easy.. I went into service canada.. no lines and I was in and out in under 30 min

So the good news is that my DH has my DD's passport...he did have to go to Surrey (4 hours away) to pick it up...here's my story:

May 23rd- We took her passport to our Service Canada in Kamloops- it was reviewed, scanned, paid for, her birth certificate was returned.

July 29th- I reached out to our MP office- I had already tried calling, submitted the status update form. They said that it should come through the regular stream, that they would call and that should put some pressure on and that I should see it shortly.

Every few days I check in with the MP office, they call and the only update they get is that it is not reviewed.

August 25th- I finally go in person to my nearest actual passport office (Kelowna BC, 2 hours away) - I get there around 8am for 8:30am opening- they separate out anyone travelling before Sept 16th, I see an agent right away at 8:30am, she pulls it, it has not been reviewed, despite having a travel date of Sept 1.
She reviews it, says it's going to be fine, that they will finalize it and send it to Surrey for printing and that it would be available mid this week for printing (I request today). Kelowna doesn't print unfortunately, only Surrey, Vancouver and Victoria here in BC.

August 30- My DH drives the 4 hours to Surrey, gets there for the recommended 10am, and it's ready, he has just confirmed with me that he now has it in hand!

Still very annoyed we had to go through this, but at least we have it. I wish I hadn't bothered with the MP office and had just gone straight to Kelowna, we probably would have had time for it to get sent back there, but oh well!

We can go to Disneyland!!!

Just throwing another data point out there -

I went in person to the Halifax passport office yesterday 8/30 - they are processing without appointments and for greater than 45 days before travel. I showed up at 7:45 and was #8 in line for office opening at 8:30am. By the time the office opened, there were easily 50+ people in line.

My kid applications were processed with no issue and I was out by 9:05am. I was told the passports will be mailed to me on Sep 14 via expresspost, or I could have opted to pick up in office for an additional $20 per passport.

Time will tell whether that estimate holds up, but there's definitely a difference in processing speed I'd say compared to some of the earlier reports.

More data for Southern Ontario aka still playing find the passport.

Put in son's passport in-person at Burlington Service Canada. So it was approved and charged June 20th. Was given a print date for the beginning of August.

Three weeks after the expected print date I put in an online request. No response.

So this morning I called in.
Took almost exactly an hour to get through 333 callers ahead of me. Getting through about 5 callers a minute, not too bad. I was on the phone with an agent for about 12 minutes.

Our travel date is September 16th and they still hadn't even printed his passport yet. So I agreed to have it transferred to a local passport office for printing and pickup. I have to wait for a call now. At least I will get to skip the line which is still and estimated 6 hours most morning around here.

I naïvely thought at the beginning of the summer things would be better by our travel dates. Unfortunately my son is an infant so I didn't exactly have an option to submit his application much earlier than I did.

TLDR: Ontario is still a mess.

Well, after chasing the MP and not getting any help or resolution (and our trip being in 9 days!!!) we decided to bite the bullet and drive down to the Toronto office yesterday to deal with the passports. The estimated wait time was 1 hour 30 minutes… but we were in and out in 40 minutes!!!! The lady there was incredibly helpful and efficient….even while dealing with all 8 applications 😂 She said we could come back on the 16th to pick them up. 2 days before we leave, but at least we have a date! I won’t completely relax until I have all of them in my hands though!!!

Cheryl
Did they require you to have new applications or anything? I see on the Passport Canada website that if you come in they might request you to submit new paperwork. I am traveling on October 6, but I am not "allowed" to call and request a transfer to our local office until September 8 (according to the rep on the phone) and I hate waiting. I just want to do it now. My kids applications are still sitting as "in review/investigation".

Our travel date is September 16th and they still hadn't even printed his passport yet.

Don't despair. I really feel they prioritize based on your travel dates, so they'll only process your request a few days out and no faster. I am so glad we decided to drive instead of flying because I would have been a basketcase in those weeks before our departure.

We were leaving on Friday the 19th. I called on the Tuesday of the week before: they still had not printed it, so even less transferred it to our local office. The Service Canada agent basically told me "Calm down lady, you still have 8 working days before you leave."

We got THE call 7 days before our departure and picked it up on Monday the 15th.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!