Passport for child

We went to Service Ontario yesterday to get her photo health card. 4-6 weeks and it can't be expedited. We're going to try going to the passport office with everything we have (including the temp health card with no photo, but at least with a signature) and see if they'll take pity on us and allow it. They probably won't, but I don't have any other options at this point. I'd even consider driving if we could cross the boarder without a passport, which we can't.

Do you think if I contacted my MP they could help rush the health card?

We went to Service Ontario yesterday to get her photo health card. 4-6 weeks and it can't be expedited. We're going to try going to the passport office with everything we have (including the temp health card with no photo, but at least with a signature) and see if they'll take pity on us and allow it. They probably won't, but I don't have any other options at this point. I'd even consider driving if we could cross the boarder without a passport, which we can't.

If they don’t have a process to rush the health card then no. Did you look into the Ontario ID card?

Try your MPP (health cards are provincial, not federal so your MP wouldn't be able to do anything). However it may not be possible. Good luck.

So after my saga of not having the right ID (because she's newly 16 and doesn't have a picture health card or drivers license) and the passport application being returned to us, we hastily applied for a new health card and went to the passport office (not Service Ontario). They accepted the temporary health card (permanent one is 4-6 weeks in the mail and we leave in 3 weeks) along with the old health card. We pick up the new passport Aug 9, a week before we leave. OMG, we are actually going to Disney! I wouldn't let myself believe it after this fiasco.

Good luck to everyone, this process is not for the faint of heart!

In late April there were no appointments at all for a passport apt. In booking with Service Canada's website it asked if I was flying within 46+ days or pre-45 days. I put 46+ . It then gave me the next available date which was today. No indicate that I had to be outside 45 days to be seen at Service Canada on that date. After waiting 1.5 hours past the apt time Service Canada tells my wife to go to the passport office and they will honour the apt. She showed up at the passport office about 15 minutes later and saw someone almost right away that was expecting her. Passport to arrive Aug 9.

We have Nexus' but we have had a bit of mixed luck in Orlando with them wanting to see passports.

Still waiting on 7 childrens passports and one adult passport (for our 17 year old son!)

Spent forever on hold on Friday to passport Canada to find out information about them only to be told they are “in examination”…. Not promising :guilty:

I contacted our local MP for help and they apparently have an assistant whose only job is helping constituents with passports? Anyways, hoping to hear back from her this week and get things moving!! I feel this delay and worry is taking away from my pre-trip excitement. Bummer.

Cheryl

Last edited:

Still waiting on 7 childrens passports and one adult passport (for our 17 year old son!)

Spent forever in gold on Friday to passport scandal to find out information about them only to be told they are “in examination”…. Not promising :guilty:

I contacted our local MP for help and they apparently have an assistant whose only job is helping constituents with passports? Anyways, hoping to hear back from her this week and get things moving!! I feel this delay and worry is taking away from my pre-trip excitement. Bummer.

Cheryl
Our MP’s assistant was very proactive and we were able to get our passports quickly - same with my sister-in-law (we got them by mail 10 days after I contacted him, and my SIL was able to pick them up in an official passports office the next day!)
Fingers crossed for you 🤞🏻

Our MP’s assistant was very proactive and we were able to get our passports quickly - same with my sister-in-law (we got them by mail 10 days after I contacted him, and my SIL was able to pick them up in an official passports office the next day!)
Fingers crossed for you 🤞🏻
Thanks so much!! I am really hoping they will help, this has been incredibly stressful!

Cheryl

I've been trying for the past week to call the 1-800 line to get the status of our application but I keep getting the "all lines are occupied, please try again later" message and it just hangs up. Is my only option trying to get the line at 8:29 or going to the Service Canada office?

I've been trying for the past week to call the 1-800 line to get the status of our application but I keep getting the "all lines are occupied, please try again later" message and it just hangs up. Is my only option trying to get the line at 8:29 or going to the Service Canada office?
Dont waste your time..Service Canada just accepts the apps,,they can not find out any other info,,,1st hand experience...check with your local mp..hoping they are helpful.

Contact your MP
They have done wonders for myself and my family :) We are leaving tomorrow!!!!
Apparently they have an employee in every district just to manage the passport renewal issues
Good luck!
Ha - actually the MPs offices don't have dedicated staff just for passport renewals - they have staff dealing with everything .... but yes passports and immigration issues are taking up a big chunk of their time. I recently left an MP office but still talk to my former co-workers daily who are pulling their hair out! Be kind to them. It's the staff, not the actual MP sitting on hold for hours or dealing with the numerous emails and phone calls and returning the messages.

I just got this reply from Service Canada:

This is a confirmation that a File Transfer Request has been submitted as follows:
[...]
Please be advised that this email is not a confirmation that a file transfer will be completed. In addition, proof of travel or need and additional fees may be required.
We will make every effort to ensure you receive your passport by mail before the date required. Passports are mailed using Canada Post’s Xpresspost™ shipping service (more information). If we determine that this option is not feasible, a Service Canada employee will contact you to evaluate your situation and establish the most appropriate next steps.

We still have 2 weeks before we leave, so fingers crossed again... 🤞

This is SUCH an absolute mess right now that all of our MPs in Canada have to spend the majority of time on passport related business. Sigh. Sending lots of pixie dust your way!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter