Passport for child

I just got this reply from Service Canada:

This is a confirmation that a File Transfer Request has been submitted as follows:
[...]
Please be advised that this email is not a confirmation that a file transfer will be completed. In addition, proof of travel or need and additional fees may be required.
We will make every effort to ensure you receive your passport by mail before the date required. Passports are mailed using Canada Post’s Xpresspost™ shipping service (more information). If we determine that this option is not feasible, a Service Canada employee will contact you to evaluate your situation and establish the most appropriate next steps.

We still have 2 weeks before we leave, so fingers crossed again... 🤞

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I was able to get the transfer request in yesterday. Our trip is in about 2.5 weeks. Now doing the whole "wait and hope we get a call from the local office that the transfer has been accepted" and hoping we don't have to do the final "fallback" option of going to the passport office 2 days prior to the trip to get the rush 48 hour process going.

I hate not knowing......

Guys, I’m getting super stressed now! :( On July 21st I contacted my local MP and hadn’t heard anything back, so on Wednesday I emailed them and they told me they haven’t even get received the status of my children passports and they can’t proceed without that. They said they emailed again and flagged the email and reminded them of our travel date, but we leave in 12 days!!! I get that it’s a lot of passports, but seriously, when we dropped it off in person they told us we would absuhave them for our travel date. If you were working with your MP and asked for the expedited service, is there a cost associated with that? We already paid over $600 for all the passports and im
going to be super upset if we have to pay *extra* for something we’ve already paid for. Gosh…. I just want to think about food and snacks and rides!! ☹️

Cheryl

Cheryl,,,I am sorry for you. We went thru the same,,but only 1 passport. I hope it doesnt come to it,,but ready yourself to go to a Passport office,,,not a Service Canada office,,,5 business days before travel. That many passports you might want to even pay a linesitter for you. I was there at 330am to get ours. Our MP could not help us,,,and it wasnt until I was at the Passport Office that the intake person told me that the Service Canada forgot to copy both sides of the birth cert....that was all that was holding up the passport. And no we did not have to pay for the expedited service as we submitted well in advance.
Good luck.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I was able to get the transfer request in yesterday. Our trip is in about 2.5 weeks. Now doing the whole "wait and hope we get a call from the local office that the transfer has been accepted" and hoping we don't have to do the final "fallback" option of going to the passport office 2 days prior to the trip to get the rush 48 hour process going.

I hate not knowing......

Just want to give a follow up on my situation I noted above. Got a call from the Passport Office that the transfer request was made to. They told me my passport will be available for pickup next Tuesday after 1:00.

Glad things finally got sorted out and I can stop panicking.

Just want to give a follow up on my situation I noted above. Got a call from the Passport Office that the transfer request was made to. They told me my passport will be available for pickup next Tuesday after 1:00.

Ours are supposed to be ready for pickup Friday. Hopefully picking it up is quick and easy.

Well, after chasing the MP and not getting any help or resolution (and our trip being in 9 days!!!) we decided to bite the bullet and drive down to the Toronto office yesterday to deal with the passports. The estimated wait time was 1 hour 30 minutes… but we were in and out in 40 minutes!!!! The lady there was incredibly helpful and efficient….even while dealing with all 8 applications 😂 She said we could come back on the 16th to pick them up. 2 days before we leave, but at least we have a date! I won’t completely relax until I have all of them in my hands though!!!

Cheryl

Well, after chasing the MP and not getting any help or resolution (and our trip being in 9 days!!!) we decided to bite the bullet and drive down to the Toronto office yesterday to deal with the passports. The estimated wait time was 1 hour 30 minutes… but we were in and out in 40 minutes!!!! The lady there was incredibly helpful and efficient….even while dealing with all 8 applications 😂 She said we could come back on the 16th to pick them up. 2 days before we leave, but at least we have a date! I won’t completely relax until I have all of them in my hands though!!!

Cheryl
You will get them,,,no issues,,just needing to drive down again. now go have a drink relax and get in vaca mode.

I went into service canada the other day to renew my child's passport
In and out in 30 min and they said I should receive it in 3 weeks

As much as I hope you really do receive yours in 3 weeks, I sent my two child passport renewals in before all the major backlog started and it was still two months before I had them in my hands. Even pre-COVID it took 4 weeks to get everything back.

As much as I hope you really do receive yours in 3 weeks, I sent my two child passport renewals in before all the major backlog started and it was still two months before I had them in my hands. Even pre-COVID it took 4 weeks to get everything back.
Totally agree. The timeline they give you at the office has NO bearing on when you’ll *actually* receive them!

Cheryl

I went into service canada the other day to renew my child's passport
In and out in 30 min and they said I should receive it in 3 weeks
I went directly to Service Canada as well. It was handed in and approved on June 20th. Still waiting for it to arrive 7 weeks later. Though they did tell me by the end of this week. Two more mail days.

Really happy for you. Still no news on our side for the transfer request. We're on 15 weeks and counting...

We had to renew four of our passports (one adult, three children). I still don't have a firm travel date, but I booked a refundable hotel on the other side of the border for labour day weekend and went down to the passport office in downtown Winnipeg. It was on a Wednesday afternoon at around 3 PM (one hour before close). As has been mentioned, they won't let you in the building without proof of travel dates.

In and out in around 40 mins. Apparently, passports will be mailed in two weeks. One of the photos was apparently dark, but they signed off on it. I was thinking of going to a Service Canada location but decided to try booking a hotel on Expedia and going to the main office and it worked fine. If anyone is looking to renew and isn't sure of your dates yet, this worked great for us.

A friend of mine went in to the same office a few weeks before me and he has his passport already
We're not going until Xmas so I'm not to worried yet 🙃

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter