Passport for child

iluvtheworld

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone,

We are travelling to the USA in June (2 day trip) and August (9 day trip). My child's passport expires in October. We are going to renew it now. I was able to obtain an appointment at our local office, but does anyone know if my child needs to be present at that appointment? I would prefer not to have him miss school if possible. Thanks!

Child does not need to be present. Funny, my kid's passports expire in October, about one week after our scheduled return date and I was refused an appointment even though I was already at the passport office getting myself a new passport 🤷‍♂️

Child does not need to be present. Funny, my kid's passports expire in October, about one week after our scheduled return date and I was refused an appointment even though I was already at the passport office getting myself a new passport 🤷‍♂️
If there is more than 6 months remaining on a passport, they will not renew it. Sounds like you were pretty close to that 6 month mark though, so they were being a bit nit picky.

I think they will still only make appointments if your trip is within a shorter distance away right now. I ran into exactly the same issue.

I think they will still only make appointments if your trip is within a shorter distance away right now. I ran into exactly the same issue.
When I booked the appointment it didn't ask for the expiry date of the current passport. Do you think when I show up they will refuse us? I thought we needed to have the passport be valid for a certain amount of time after our planned return date. If I wait too long, we won't be able to get it with the current wait times. This is stressful!

When I booked the appointment it didn't ask for the expiry date of the current passport. Do you think when I show up they will refuse us? I thought we needed to have the passport be valid for a certain amount of time after our planned return date. If I wait too long, we won't be able to get it with the current wait times. This is stressful!

When I tried to book an appointment in the fall when they opened the borders, your trip had to be within 3 weeks or something like that or they wouldn't make you an appointment because of the huge demand. Just go and say your trip is earlier if it needs to be. I don't think the passport needs to be valid for very long after your return date if you are just going to the US. It's only certain countries.

When I tried to book an appointment in the fall when they opened the borders, your trip had to be within 3 weeks or something like that or they wouldn't make you an appointment because of the huge demand. Just go and say your trip is earlier if it needs to be. I don't think the passport needs to be valid for very long after your return date if you are just going to the US. It's only certain countries.
I've heard of people being refused to travel if their passport is within 6 months of expiring. I personally think it is ridiculous. Why even call it a 5 year passport thing is only good for 4.5 years (back then that was our only option)? Or 9.5 years if you pay for a 10 year.

I've heard of people being refused to travel if their passport is within 6 months of expiring. I personally think it is ridiculous. Why even call it a 5 year passport thing is only good for 4.5 years (back then that was our only option)? Or 9.5 years if you pay for a 10 year.
https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-619?language=en_US

From the US customs and border protection.

Date Published
11/16/2021 3:30 PM
Content
Canadian citizen's passports are NOT required to be valid for six months past their intended date of departure. Their passports must only be valid up until the date of their intended departure.

I thought child passports could not be renewed. They had to be re-issued. Make sure you have all the right formsm guarantors and signatures for what you need to get for your child.

Oh, sorry for the double post, but here's a tip...

Count up the years to when your child will be able to apply for the 10 year passport. You don't want to be a couple months short of them being able to apply for the adult 10 year because you got their child passport a few months earlier than their birthday.

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-619?language=en_US

From the US customs and border protection.

Date Published
11/16/2021 3:30 PM
Content
Canadian citizen's passports are NOT required to be valid for six months past their intended date of departure. Their passports must only be valid up until the date of their intended departure.

This is how it should be, I'm just saying that I've heard of people not being able to use theirs in this situation. I think it is completely stupid myself, and I feel that you should be able to use them until they are expired.

The 6 months expiry after return is required in some countries but NOT the USA. I just renewed by kids passports and it took 2 months (sent applications in February). At the time they said turn around was 20 business days… Right now, I would expect getting them back in 2-3 months.

Thanks everyone. Just an update...the appointment went well and was fairly quick. I felt awful walking past all of the people in the long line though! I was told that I can pick up my son's passport on May 16th!

It's up to the country you are traveling to which you are traveling. The reasons that I've been told is that if you overstay your trip, they (the country you are visiting) doesn't want to potentially have to deal with you if you have trouble getting back into Canada (due to lack of a valid passport).

I now live abroad and had to renew my passport at the Permanent Mission here (which is pretty small and only deals with people in this city - everyone else has to go to the Embassy). It was the easiest passport renewal ever (I was actually renewing with almost five years left but my passport was getting too full - I only had one empty double page for visas). I even got cookies :)

Another update. Picked up my son's passport today. 2 weeks exactly! There was less of a line outside the Passport Office today. Still a line, but not as long as a couple of weeks ago. Just a note...when I picked up the passport, the agent said they have a lot of people who have been holding their passports while applying hand sanitizer, and then touching the passport photo before their hands are dry, which is ruining photos and making the passport invalid. Just thought I would pass it along that she strongly suggested carrying your passport in something that is waterproof and make 100% sure that your hands are dry before handling it! I am thankful I bought a waterproof pouch that holds all 5 of ours a couple of years ago!

Another update. Picked up my son's passport today. 2 weeks exactly! There was less of a line outside the Passport Office today. Still a line, but not as long as a couple of weeks ago. Just a note...when I picked up the passport, the agent said they have a lot of people who have been holding their passports while applying hand sanitizer, and then touching the passport photo before their hands are dry, which is ruining photos and making the passport invalid. Just thought I would pass it along that she strongly suggested carrying your passport in something that is waterproof and make 100% sure that your hands are dry before handling it! I am thankful I bought a waterproof pouch that holds all 5 of ours a couple of years ago!
Oh yay, glad you were able to pick it up!
I'm still waiting for the passport for my 13yr old. Dropped it off in person at Service Canada on March 29th....here we are, nearly 8 weeks later....still waiting :headache: :(

Oh yay, glad you were able to pick it up!
I'm still waiting for the passport for my 13yr old. Dropped it off in person at Service Canada on March 29th....here we are, nearly 8 weeks later....still waiting :headache: :(
Same boat here,,,tempted to go to office and see,,,we fly mid july so still have time

Same boat here,,,tempted to go to office and see,,,we fly mid july so still have time
Our next trip is an Alaskan cruise from here in Vancouver at the end of July and I just discovered a couple of weeks ago that the land border rules (under 16 just need a birth certificate) also apply to sea. So worst case scenario, she can get on the ship with just her birth certificate. Is that ideal? No. But still doable. Crossing my fingers the new passport arrives before July 25th of course....after all that would be FOUR months after we applied for it 🙄

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter