• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Passport for child

I am sorry to hear everyone's stressful stories, but they have given me lots of incentive to finally get the paperwork together to get our passports! Mailed them off this week - we are not travelling until February so hopefully lots of time 😂

Definitely. We just got our kids’ renewed Nexus cards so land travel is much easier for us. Cruising is just too complicated for my stress tolerance right now!

Flying with just a Nexus card is possible too if flying to the U.S. It just depends on which airport you're flying out of.

Flying with just a Nexus card is possible too if flying to the U.S. It just depends on which airport you're flying out of.
Good to know. We’re less than an hr from the Detroit airport, so only fly from Pearson when we visit Europe (a lot better/cheaper flights to the EU from YYZ), but we wouldn’t hesitate to fly within the US with just our Nexus.

Can we do that if our passport is out for renewal? All 4 of us have our Nexus cards, but we're still waiting for DS's passport to arrive

I don’t see why not. We’ve never been asked for a passport when using our Nexus. It’s a small risk.
i believe a requirement of having a nexus is to have a valid passport, which is why when you renew you need to login and update the info on the nexus site.

i believe a requirement of having a nexus is to have a valid passport, which is why when you renew you need to login and update the info on the nexus site.
If you’re renewing before it expires I’d argue it’s still valid.

For kids under 16 it’s passport or birth certificate. My kids ID listed for their Nexus are birth certificates since their passports expired just after I renewed their Nexus cards. When I received their new passports I tried to add them to their Nexus accounts but couldn’t find how now that their official citizenship ID are the birth certificates.

I am so worried about receiving my children's passports in time that I am finding it hard to get excited and plan for our trip. Mailed the paperwork in on April 27th, and our trip is July 25th. If I don't receive them by early July, I had planned to go in to a passport office and pay the extra fee for urgent pick-up service. But then I realized I don't have my kids' birth certificates and old passports - I sent them off in the mail with the application! I've been trying to call to check on their status, but can't get through. My credit card hasn't been charged yet...so stressful.

For kids under 16 it’s passport or birth certificate. My kids ID listed for their Nexus are birth certificates since their passports expired just after I renewed their Nexus cards. When I received their new passports I tried to add them to their Nexus accounts but couldn’t find how now that their official citizenship ID are the birth certificates.

I just tried doing the opposite, replacing my son's passport info with his birth certificate and I couldn't. I'll continue hoping and waiting!

If you’re renewing before it expires I’d argue it’s still valid.
No it isn't:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio.../canadian-passports/renew-adult-passport.html
If your most recent passport is still valid, it
  • must be sent with your application and
  • will be cancelled and cannot be used for travel

I am so worried about receiving my children's passports in time that I am finding it hard to get excited and plan for our trip. Mailed the paperwork in on April 27th, and our trip is July 25th. If I don't receive them by early July, I had planned to go in to a passport office and pay the extra fee for urgent pick-up service. But then I realized I don't have my kids' birth certificates and old passports - I sent them off in the mail with the application! I've been trying to call to check on their status, but can't get through. My credit card hasn't been charged yet...so stressful.
So this past weekend we had a street festival in Aurora,,met up with our MP,,who helped my wife with CERB,,asked about the passports and they asked us to call,,,yes we are more than a month out,,but that is what the MPs are there for. Call your local office and get them working for you,,,hope that helps

I just tried doing the opposite, replacing my son's passport info with his birth certificate and I couldn't. I'll continue hoping and waiting!

No it isn't:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio.../canadian-passports/renew-adult-passport.html
If your most recent passport is still valid, it
  • must be sent with your application and
  • will be cancelled and cannot be used for travel
Then I guess we're all screwed for travel for the 3+ months it takes to get a passport for a kid :confused3

Then I guess we're all screwed for travel for the 3+ months it takes to get a passport for a kid :confused3
*EDITED*
I just phoned to verify and if you or your child has a valid Nexus card you can travel within North America without having the passport with you. If you've applied for a new passport you can still travel with your Nexus card, you just need to update the passport info online once you receive your new passport. I also asked about expired Nexus cards as DS card isnpast the expiry date. As long as you applied for a renewal prior to expiry, the expiry date is extended by 2 years.

Last edited:
Has anyone here actually missed a trip because they didn't get their passport on time? I wonder if they look at the dates of travel written on the application, and prioritize based on that...?

*EDITED*
I just phoned to verify and if you or your child has a valid Nexus card you can travel within North America without having the passport with you. If you've applied for a new passport you can still travel with your Nexus card, you just need to update the passport info online once you receive your new passport. I also asked about expired Nexus cards as DS card isnpast the expiry date. As long as you applied for a renewal prior to expiry, the expiry date is extended by 2 years.
Thanks so much!

*EDITED*

Thank you, that's reassuring!

Our travel dates are mid Aug and I'm super worried. My 16 year old's passport was mailed mid May which is my biggest worry. My 11 year old's passport is ready to go and they just changed the dates on appointments (if you travel in 45 business days you can make an appt) so we have an appt for mid July. But I'm worried that will still be too close to travel. And like others have said, I could now make an appt for my 16 year old, but her birth certificate is in the mail so I can't really.

The stress of waiting is annoying and definitely takes away from the excitement of the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter