Passport for child

Our next trip is an Alaskan cruise from here in Vancouver at the end of July and I just discovered a couple of weeks ago that the land border rules (under 16 just need a birth certificate) also apply to sea. So worst case scenario, she can get on the ship with just her birth certificate. Is that ideal? No. But still doable. Crossing my fingers the new passport arrives before July 25th of course....after all that would be FOUR months after we applied for it 🙄
My kids passports took almost 3 months. Mailed mid-Feb, payment went thru mid-March, received first passport end of April and second one early May. Our backup plan was also to use birth certificates when crossing by land (good to know they are valid by sea) and our Nexus cards.

Mailed everything mid-April and they just charged the credit card. Hopefully the kids passports arrive before Canada day.
I read turnaround is about 40 business days for mailed passports right now.

Mailed everything mid-April and they just charged the credit card. Hopefully the kids passports arrive before Canada day.
I read turnaround is about 40 business days for mailed passports right now.
Yes a friend of mine works for Passport Canada (unfortunately she cannot look up our file even with the number, conflict of interest etc) and she said it's 40 business days right now,. definitely not 20. So that puts me around the second week of June to hopefully receive my daughter's.

So update on ours...We dropped off at a service Canada on March 28th,,,and payed,,,supposed according to the papers get them Apr 22,,,lol,,,well we still have not seen it...stopped at service Canada again,,thankfully never a line in Newmarket,,,they say they cant do anything,,cant even look it up...hmm..But we can go to one of the actual passport offices with the big lines to see,,,but since travel isnt till mid july then they still might not tell you....the 800 number they have on the papers to call just hangs up saying they are too busy....oh well guess if it doesnt come dd15 stays home solo,,,,Cause Daddy is going

So update on ours...We dropped off at a service Canada on March 28th,,,and payed,,,supposed according to the papers get them Apr 22,,,lol,,,well we still have not seen it...stopped at service Canada again,,thankfully never a line in Newmarket,,,they say they cant do anything,,cant even look it up...hmm..But we can go to one of the actual passport offices with the big lines to see,,,but since travel isnt till mid july then they still might not tell you....the 800 number they have on the papers to call just hangs up saying they are too busy....oh well guess if it doesnt come dd15 stays home solo,,,,Cause Daddy is going
Just so you don't feel alone in your misery, I dropped off DD13 passport application in person also at a Service Canada office in Langley BC the day after you on March 29th and I'm still waiting.....FUN TIMES amiright?? GRRRR

Gah, I've been reading all these news articles about the long wait times. We dropped DS9's off on April 22nd. Just hope we'll get it in time for our August trip!

I am hoping we are all delayed because we are travelling later...just dont want it coming down to last 2 weeks b4

I am hoping we are all delayed because we are travelling later...just dont want it coming down to last 2 weeks b4
That's what I'm wondering too, since we both put down July travel dates and we both submitted in person at a Service Canada office within a day of each other. Too many coincidences!

So just called the 888 number,,,its now saying 9 weeks plus mail time...so hang in there
If that's true, then we really SHOULD get them literally any day now. 9 weeks for you was this past Monday and this past Tuesday for me.

I’m confused. Did you apply in person (with an appointment) or just have them check the docs & send for you?
We dropped off at a service Canada location. Did not want to mail docs to them,,,they took payment on spot,,gave us a sheet with 888 number to call if not there after 4 weeks...lol...always been a recording that just hangs up after. Went in person the other day to the same location,,,they informed me that they just do intake and are not even able to look up the file to see where in the process they are. If I want I can wait in the long lines at the actual passport offices,,,but only if travelling very soon. I will wait at home.
If that's true, then we really SHOULD get them literally any day now. 9 weeks for you was this past Monday and this past Tuesday for me.
It was the plus postage that they can blame on ,,so we will see

We dropped off at a service Canada location. Did not want to mail docs to them,,,they took payment on spot,,gave us a sheet with 888 number to call if not there after 4 weeks...lol...always been a recording that just hangs up after. Went in person the other day to the same location,,,they informed me that they just do intake and are not even able to look up the file to see where in the process they are. If I want I can wait in the long lines at the actual passport offices,,,but only if travelling very soon. I will wait at home.

It was the plus postage that they can blame on ,,so we will see
Thanks for this. Our cruise is 2 weeks under the 6 month to passport expiry for our kids and I realized 3 weeks ago that they can’t cruise on those passports. I thought I had secured an apt but this thread was nagging at me. The address on the Service Canada site I got an apt at doesn’t match the passport office we have used before. Turns out it’s one of these sites to drop off the passport. We don’t have 3 months to wait for the passport and they won’t give us an urgent appointment until we’re basically 1.5 months out 🙄

I just canceled the cruise. Between DCL making us scramble to get our own testing and the stress of new passports (why there is no process to renew kids’ passports is beyond me) 🤷🏼‍♀️ Vacation is supposed to be relaxing. This was a 2020 cruise we moved several times, but we’ll wait until things are totally back to normal to cruise again.

Last edited:
that sucks Sorry to hear,,,we were down in march 2020 for the last day MK was open and came home a week early,,,this is our 1st trip since then,,,and passport be damned Im going...lol

that sucks Sorry to hear,,,we were down in march 2020 for the last day MK was open and came home a week early,,,this is our 1st trip since then,,,and passport be damned Im going...lol
Definitely. We just got our kids’ renewed Nexus cards so land travel is much easier for us. Cruising is just too complicated for my stress tolerance right now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter