OT-Amazon Kindle

PatMcDuck

DIS Veteran
Anyone here have one? I bought mine recently and I LOVE it! Happy Birthday to me.

I have the new Kindle DX electronic book reader. I can easily download books, set the print to the size I need. I can read it bed without my glasses, which really helps because I wear progressives. You can't wear those while reading in bed that easlily. And no more boxes of books to give away, store forever, etc.

Oh, it was expensive, but it makes me happy! :love:

We bought my mother one for mothers day. She loves it. We bought the Kindle II, not the DX. She travels and we thought the smaller size would be more convenient. It would be a good idea for anyone with vision problems as you can adjust the print type on all books.

I want one! If I was still working, I'd have one, but right now I can't justify the expense. They just look too cool and I think it would be super for travel. Only packing one "book" would be just awesome.

I have had my eye on those but couldn't justify the expense.

Today I am leaving for Paris and I sure wish I had one for the long plane ride! I have 2 books in my backpack and they take up so much room!!!

Maggie

My iphone has a Kindle app. I love it! So far I have only downloaded the free books, but I can buy any of the Kindle books on my iphone. It works exactly the same. You can change the font, color of text etc..

My iphone has a Kindle app. I love it! So far I have only downloaded the free books, but I can buy any off the Kindle books on my iphone. It works exactlly the same. You can change the font, color of text etc..

Getting the Kindle app on the iphone was the tipping point for me on getting an iphone. My Dh and I got the phone last week and I am still learning the basics but will probably download the app soon. Glad to hear your like it. -- Suzanne

I have the Kindle2 and love it. That first credit card bill with the download charges (from reading so much) was :scared1:.

We are thinking of this for DD's 13th B-day. How sturdy are they? Do they have covers where you could put it in a backpack? Do they scratch easily?
Our DD is rather visually impaired and the adjustable font and the supposed ease of reading was what interested us.
DD goes through so many books the download ability was a big plus since she goes to the bookstore so much.

I keep putting it off, but I think it's a good idea for me to get one. My library is closed for renovation for about another year and I'm spending way to much on books and have run out of bookshelf space. I'm thinking the Kindle II, rather than the DX for size.

We're a two kindle family; DH kept swiping mine so I made him get his own. :thumbsup2 I love, love, love it. There are many different case and skin selections, it just depends on your price point and taste. I have an oberon, DH a m-edge and we share a trendy digital waterproof case for beach/poolside.

www.kindleboards.com is all things kindle and has product reviews as well as links to currently free/cheap books and conversations with other readers and authors. I think my book expenses have gone way down since I bought my kindle, I've found so many good free or practically free books.

We're in the process of moving and I downsized my book collection for the first time ever. 450 books are going to a new home, I just can't see the point of hauling them around anymore, those suckers are HEAVY. :banana: We just kept an inventory of all the books we own (and are donating) and if I really want to read them again, I'll buy them in kindle version. I kept my favorites, but it does feel nice to know that I won't have to carry those boxes next time we move.

i use the iphone version, love it, but like the pp said, my book budget has definitely gone up. it is way too easy to buy a book and get instant gratification. :rolleyes1
-virginia

I played around with one and it was very cool, but I just can't give up my paper books!

We are thinking of this for DD's 13th B-day. How sturdy are they? Do they have covers where you could put it in a backpack? Do they scratch easily?
Our DD is rather visually impaired and the adjustable font and the supposed ease of reading was what interested us.
DD goes through so many books the download ability was a big plus since she goes to the bookstore so much.

They are not super sturdy, I highly advise getting the m-edge cover, although they start at around $30 for the fake leather ones. I love mine, and I have been budget minded with it in that our bank check card (Visa branded) offers points that give rewards. I have been getting $100 AMazon gift certificates that I use to offset my Kindle addiction.

I ordered mine on 6/12, received it on 6/18, and I'm already in the midst of my first book (free).

I picked up some accessories before I took the plunge, so it's well protected. I thought that it was a bit spendy, so I cashed in some of my MyPoints points and ended up with $150 in Amazon GCards.

So mine was $359 minus $150 = $209 out of pocket.

I have a list of interesting free books, and a few $.80 books. It will probably take a while to run out of those!

I have a room full of books, and although not all of them are available for the Kindle, so far there are over 300,000 that are available.

Good luck with your new tool (toy)!

HM where at in NC are you? :confused3 I'm from near Mars Hill and our library is being remodeled also. I was thinking it might be interesting to know someone near by! I can't wait for the library to be reopened!

Getting the Kindle app on the iphone was the tipping point for me on getting an iphone. My Dh and I got the phone last week and I am still learning the basics but will probably download the app soon. Glad to hear your like it. -- Suzanne

The iPhone and iTouch seem pretty small for reading a book. How functional is it really for reading books?

Julia

The iPhone and iTouch seem pretty small for reading a book. How functional is it really for reading books?

Julia

I've got both the iphone and the kindle (1). The iphone is fine for reading for short periods of tome (waiting rooms, etc.). My eyes get tired way more quickly though, so when I am home or traveling, I use the kindle. It is a much nicer reading experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter