OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

Meant to add the one bedrooms villas at OKW are huge . lots of rooms to spread about . The living room has a double bed , (fold out sofa type) and a sleeper chair , our two sons used these and were very comfortable.

Dont go telling too many people how wonderful OKW is or they will all want to come !!!!!!!

We are closing in on 60 days before our start-of-August "take your siblings to Disney" OKW stay:cool1:, and for the first time in many visits, the room request part of the planning is more important than usual for us (and a bit complicated). I need expert advice!

1) First, two members of our party are going to have some (minor) problems with walking and stairs (I'll spare you the details), and we were unable to get a "HH building" reservation. Therefore, by far, the best buildings for us would be 62, 63, or 64 (elevators plus proximity to HH), with 62 being the dream assignment. However, the OKW online check-in options make it confusing as to exactly what to ask for (although it's easy to see what NOT to ask for!). What would you suggest?

2) Second, this is our first experience with "linked" reservations (2 studios as close as possible). Even if we put the exact same online requests for both reservations, is it possible that simply doing online check-in will make our highest priority (very close studios) less likely? Can I do anything online to assure the reservations stay linked?

Thanks in advance...it's fun to post again after a long hiatus!

RONALD - Where have you been?!!! I was just thinking of you the other day. :)

Glad to see you back on the boards and preparing for another trip! I was just at OKW earlier this month. :goodvibes

I can't help you with your questions, although I think you might be better off NOT doing online check-in. I just wanted to say "Hi!" ;)

I know you'll get the right answers here - lots of OKW experts! :thumbsup2

Laura- How to make a person feel welcomed back:wave2:!!! That prompt response from an old online friend felt as good as a "welcome home" at Disney itself! I'll catch you up in a PM!

Meant to add the one bedrooms villas at OKW are huge . lots of rooms to spread about . The living room has a double bed , (fold out sofa type) and a sleeper chair , our two sons used these and were very comfortable.

Dont go telling too many people how wonderful OKW is or they will all want to come !!!!!!!

Some mistakes in this post. The pull out sofa in the living room at OKW is a queen size, and teh pull out chair is a twin size. We have also had children use the love seat as a bed. It doesn't pull out, but a sheet and pillow make a nice sized bed for a child.

We are closing in on 60 days before our start-of-August "take your siblings to Disney" OKW stay:cool1:, and for the first time in many visits, the room request part of the planning is more important than usual for us (and a bit complicated). I need expert advice!

1) First, two members of our party are going to have some (minor) problems with walking and stairs (I'll spare you the details), and we were unable to get a "HH building" reservation. Therefore, by far, the best buildings for us would be 62, 63, or 64 (elevators plus proximity to HH), with 62 being the dream assignment. However, the OKW online check-in options make it confusing as to exactly what to ask for (although it's easy to see what NOT to ask for!). What would you suggest?

2) Second, this is our first experience with "linked" reservations (2 studios as close as possible). Even if we put the exact same online requests for both reservations, is it possible that simply doing online check-in will make our highest priority (very close studios) less likely? Can I do anything online to assure the reservations stay linked?

Thanks in advance...it's fun to post again after a long hiatus!

First of all, I wouldn't make that request online. Instead I would call MS and tell them you need a medical request. That will be the best way to insure getting what you want with the elevator buildings.

I assume you know that OKW studios are mostly on the outside ends of all the buildings. That means that your two studios will either be on opposite ends of the same building or on different floors of the same building, but no closer than that.

Some mistakes in this post. The pull out sofa in the living room at OKW is a queen size, and teh pull out chair is a twin size. We have also had children use the love seat as a bed. It doesn't pull out, but a sheet and pillow make a nice sized bed for a child.

In the UK a double bed is usually the same size as your US queen size , so as the poster is a fellow brit I assumed she would know what I meant .

First of all, I wouldn't make that request online. Instead I would call MS and tell them you need a medical request. That will be the best way to insure getting what you want with the elevator buildings.

I assume you know that OKW studios are mostly on the outside ends of all the buildings. That means that your two studios will either be on opposite ends of the same building or on different floors of the same building, but no closer than that.

It is rare, but it is possible to get two studios right next to each other at OKW in the "U" shaped buildings. But 99% of the time, it will be Diane said, either one on top of the other or opposite ends of the same building.

We had two studios right next door to each other once, in building 38. There are only 4 of these "U" shaped building at OKW; 14, 18, 35 and 38.

In the UK a double bed is usually the same size as your US queen size , so as the poster is a fellow brit I assumed she would know what I meant .

Thank you both for the most helpful advice. Double or Queen I hope it's comfortable! I chose to have the bed in the living room area as I am the earliest riser and can get things ready. I have requested a room with the separate entrance in the Old Turtle Pond area with high floor so hopefully will get this. The separate entrance is the most important though.

Cheryl we are eating at Boma, Teppan Edo, Ohana's, Artist Point, BOG and Prime Time Cafe. I have been numerous occasions, my daughter twice but it is her fiancé's first trip to WDW so tried to pick interesting venues. my last visit was on 2008 so BOg is new to me and I expect there will be many other changes. We picked OKW for it's flexible accomodation.
After 7 days we are on a DCL cruise to the Bahamas for 4 days.
If you think of any other good tips please keep posting.:)
Shirley

Hi Shirley

Our two teenagers are in the living room , last time they were very happy , we loved the space that the one bedded gives and all the benefits of staying in Disney.
Your food choices sound great ,we havent done any of those . We have 3 table service credits left so will see what we feel like at the time . Teppan Edo is one that always looks interesting , but I think it would only suit hubby and myself .
Are you doing BOG for dinner or lunch ?

Might just see you there !!

Cheryl

We're so excited! We're arriving in 10 days! I just called the resort directly to include our building preferences for our stay. We've reserved a 2bdrm villa and I've requested either buildings 23 or 62. Crossing our fingers we get either.

Can anyone tell me if the prices on site in the general store are comparable to going through garden grocer? I was going to place an order for some things but garden grocer seems pricey. If the items on site are similarly priced then I'd rather buy once we arrive and not have to meet the $40 minimum...

thanks in advance. :flower3:

gina

Tea kettles are available if you call housekeeping and request one. They are the whistling stove top kind.

We're so excited! We're arriving in 10 days! I just called the resort directly to include our building preferences for our stay. We've reserved a 2bdrm villa and I've requested either buildings 23 or 62. Crossing our fingers we get either.

Can anyone tell me if the prices on site in the general store are comparable to going through garden grocer? I was going to place an order for some things but garden grocer seems pricey. If the items on site are similarly priced then I'd rather buy once we arrive and not have to meet the $40 minimum...

gina

It depends upon the items you wish to purchase. Fresh fruits and vegetables would be much cheaper through garden grocer, and a better selection. Milk, breakfast items, bread, sandwich meats are about convenience store prices plus about 15% to 20%. Soft drinks, water and adult beverages are VERY, VERY pricey at the general store. If you want those items you'll save a lot with garden grocer. Cokes are like $2 a can at the general store.

jwgm2012 said:

gina

To be honest the shop has everything you need for the first night or so. If you intend to cook alot in the villa then you will need to visit either the local walmart or publix.

We arrived three nites ago to building 24.. we love it and i told DH I think OKW or Saratoga may be our only future choices.

anyone use the grills at OKW?

Some friends I was traveling with several years ago like grilling out and used the OKW grills. They require charcoal. The grills are the standard type that you find in most parks.

Hi Shirley

Our two teenagers are in the living room , last time they were very happy , we loved the space that the one bedded gives and all the benefits of staying in Disney.
Your food choices sound great ,we havent done any of those . We have 3 table service credits left so will see what we feel like at the time . Teppan Edo is one that always looks interesting , but I think it would only suit hubby and myself .
Are you doing BOG for dinner or lunch ?

Might just see you there !!

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl
When my 2 were teenagers they enjoyed Boma and Prime Time Cafe, this will be first time at Teppan Edo the interactive cooking sounds good though.
We fly out 7/7/13 from Manchester with VA.
Shirley

Based on all the OKW love here, I just extended our reservation in July one extra night so we can get more time there! Lol. There's a lot I need to squeeze into a short 6 night stay. Do they do the outdoor movies every night in Summer?

Hi Shirley
Teppan is,one of the places I would love to go to, will see if it at possible during our stay.

If you look on the uk trip section, Wayne who is one of the mods has reviewed it on one of his many trips to Florida. Wayneg is his name.

We leave man on 8th with thomsons on the new Dreamliner !!! Hopefully !!! So will see ya there .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts