OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

I know there are a few local supermarkets, there's a Publix down the end of the 535 (I think?) & I am sure somebody will know better than I on that.

My suggestion would be to check out Garden Grocer, you can make an order online & they will deliver to the resort. My family have used them before twice & both times it's been very positive & completely seamless to use. You will pay a delivery charge but I am sure it will be less than the cost of a cab ride.

thanks for the suggestions - we have used GG before and loved it but with the kids and the DH needing specific things, it would be easier for me to just leave them all at the pool and go myself to grab some stuff. Among an example, DH loves guacamole and the whole grain scoops, of which GG does not have. Oh and garlic bread...I will be making my italian gravy one night and he cant do it without the garlic bread :rotfl:

Price out a one day car rental, sometimes they can be price competitive with a cab. There is no shortage of relatively nearby shopping for OKW. There is a super Walmart, several Publix and a Winn Dixie. The closest real grocery store is Gooding's, but I recommend you avoid it. Nice store, but prices are outrageous. Definitely geared for the tourist trade rather than the locals.

The Super Walmart is nice, but is reported to be the busiest WalMart in the US. I believe it, parking is a problem and the lines for registers are LONG. I prefer to shop at one of the Publix, nice stores, good quality, average prices, and it saves time...and on vacation time is a commodity in itself.

I'm crazy enough to do the super Walmart but will venture for the Publix, like you suggest! Does Publix sell beer/wine?

There are no king beds in any DVC studio. OKW studios have 2 queen beds. All other DVC studios have a queen bed and full sleeper sofa.

Hi
We won't have a car until late pm of our second day at OKW. Will there be milk and other items available to buy in the store for breakfast? We are on the DDP but thought we would breakfast in the room to save time.
Any tips on room location also appreciated, we are 3 adults and DD and her partner will have the bedroom so I will need to request the room with the door not through the bedroom into the bathroom.

Hi
We won't have a car until late pm of our second day at OKW. Will there be milk and other items available to buy in the store for breakfast? We are on the DDP but thought we would breakfast in the room to save time.
Any tips on room location also appreciated, we are 3 adults and DD and her partner will have the bedroom so I will need to request the room with the door not through the bedroom into the bathroom.

Milk, cereal, bread, pastries, etc. are available in the general store. Prices are a little higher than convenience store prices, but for the most part not outrageous on regular food items. Soft drinks and alcohol, though, are extremely expensive Disney prices.

Hi

Yes, they have milk and sundries at the store, but they are pricey. The other option is to plan a breakfast at Olivia's at the resort. They have pretty nice breakfasts there.

To insure that you have that extra door to the bathroom, request building 30 or above.

Hi

Hopefully, you did not book Hospitality House Area. None of those have the door to the bathroom through the laundry room. You'll need Turtle Pond or South Point.

Just got back from 9 days 8 nights in 2632 .First stay in DVC. Fantastic!! The 2br villa was everything I thought it would be. Bldg 26 great location for bus pickup without bus noise.Frankly we gave bus service(something I was worried about) and A - rating. Only 1 glitch whole trip. Other than Olivias (just average both b-fast and dinner) I now know what the OKW lovers have known for a long time. Can't wait til Dec when DW and I have long wknd planned. Requested bldg 45 for the canal view but riding by it seened like the studios have an obstructed view of water because of over growth of trees. Does anyone have experience in this bldg 2nd floor studio?

Hopefully, you did not book Hospitality House Area. None of those have the door to the bathroom through the laundry room. You'll need Turtle Pond or South Point.

Thank you for the replies.
We are not booking through DVC so haven't booked any room yet. Will try and contact them before coming over to request a building over number 30. The Turtle Pond area sounds very nice.
We will buy some supplies to last us until we can go shopping.

Thank you for the replies.
We are not booking through DVC so haven't booked any room yet. Will try and contact them before coming over to request a building over number 30. The Turtle Pond area sounds very nice.
We will buy some supplies to last us until we can go shopping.

When are you planning to travel? I hope it's at least next January or later if you haven't booked yet.

When are you planning to travel? I hope it's at least next January or later if you haven't booked yet.

Hi,
Oh gosh yes we booked over a year ago and arrive on 7/7/13! I don't think you can make specific requests until a few days before when you book through Disney in the UK which is what I meant when I said no room booked yet. We have a 1 bed villa for 3 of us and are really looking forward to staying at OKW.

Hi

you can phone them now to make requests, as you know not guaranteed but they try to do their best, think i phoned the uk number the 0800 one, and asked for our requests.

Meant to add Olivias is lovely for brekkie too, and as you will be on "stupid oclock"when you arrive because of time difference you will be up early 1st few days .
Shop has milk bread etc, as previous poster said , price ok for those items until you can get anything else but to be honest the ddp will be enough for your food. Shop for your water etc. The one bedrooms have kitchens and large fridge , on the cash bookings they included dishwasher tabs and washing liquid too when we were there in 2010 . oh and i think soap powder packets, but i take my own as the US stuff is too bleachy .
Enjoy yourself and might see ya there .

O M G........

We arrived Sunday night & I absolutely love it here!! So peaceful and beautiful. We are in building 45.....not the best location but that's ok. We have a 2br on 1st floor...4513....canal view. Soooo spacious.

Did MK Sunday night til 2am & rode all except SM.

AK was Monday. It was crowded but we got in everything we wanted to do. DD & I rode EE 3 x's in a row! We had 4 FP's & then a couple walking by handed us 2 more.

Today was Epcot.

Wednesday is a first for us~Blizzard Beach. Never been to the water parks but thanks to the DVC PAP, we are giving it a try :)

We check out on Friday & move to VWL.

O M G........

We arrived Sunday night & I absolutely love it here!! So peaceful and beautiful. We are in building 45.....not the best location but that's ok. We have a 2br on 1st floor...4513....canal view. Soooo spacious.

AK was Monday. It was crowded but we got in everything we wanted to do. DD & I rode EE 3 x's in a row! We had 4 FP's & then a couple walking by handed us 2 more.

Today was Epcot.

Wednesday is a first for us~Blizzard Beach. Never been to the water parks but thanks to the DVC PAP, we are giving it a try :)

You got our favorite building!!!!:thumbsup2

O M G........

Today was Epcot.

You got our favorite building!!!!:thumbsup2

OK I have resv for this coming DEC and requested this bldg 2nd fl studio. I was just there last week in bldg 26(fabulous 2br 3rd fl) but when we rode boat to DTD it looked like views from both bldg 45&46 studios are pretty blocked from overgrown trees. Should I be worried ?:worried:

We just got back from a 9-night stay at OKW in a one-bedroom. We love it there, always have and always will. While I do like the makeover, I did notice that the dark kitchen table top is already showing a lot of nicks and chipped paint. It won't be long before they will have to redo those tables.

We did enjoy more meals in the villa than we normally do, and I found that to be very relaxing instead of go, go, go in the parks all the time.

Visited Turtle Pond pool for the first time and while I enjoyed the area, snack bar and all, I still think Southpoint is my favorite. Either location will work for me in the future.

Thanks for tips. Did you take anything else for the kitchen? We will eat out mainly but thought breakfast was a good meal to have before going to parks. Which part did you stay in please?

Hi

you can phone them now to make requests, as you know not guaranteed but they try to do their best, think i phoned the uk number the 0800 one, and asked for our requests.

Meant to add Olivias is lovely for brekkie too, and as you will be on "stupid oclock"when you arrive because of time difference you will be up early 1st few days .
Shop has milk bread etc, as previous poster said , price ok for those items until you can get anything else but to be honest the ddp will be enough for your food. Shop for your water etc. The one bedrooms have kitchens and large fridge , on the cash bookings they included dishwasher tabs and washing liquid too when we were there in 2010 . oh and i think soap powder packets, but i take my own as the US stuff is too bleachy .
Enjoy yourself and might see ya there .

We were in block 35 , think it was old turtle road area . The kitchen is fully stocked with cooking utensils etc, there is a coffee maker but not a kettle so if you are tea drinkers u are making it in cup with hot water from coffee jug. rooms are cleaned daily on our type of booking , I take it you have free dining ?
The food was ample for us last time but we did go to asda/walmart and get bottles of water to put in the freezer for the parks. Good sized washing machine and tumble dryer too, but top loader so works best with tablets that can be crumbled or powder. I took some tumble dryer sheets. There is an iron and ironing board too. We had the seperate entrance to the bathroom in our room. There are two into the main bathroom (one with shower and toilet) oh and the shower is huge , water takes a while to heat thru but dont know if this was because we were on top floor. The other "bathroom" has a bath and sink but there is no extra wc. So access to the toilet can be from two sep doors. Olivias was lovely , ate there a few times for brekkie. If you travelling to parks by car its no problem at all . the resort has bus stops to all parks and downtown disney but you can also get the boat there and that is lovely. Loved OKW extremely relaxing resort and so looking forward to going again. The shop has plenty of stuff but the basic for a day are fine . You can use snack credits in the shop too and if in doubt always ask , cms were really lovely and friendly there. Havent been to gurgling suitcase or the counter service place either but everyone on here says gurgling suitcase fab . Think thats all I can think of just now but if you need anything else just ask . I think someone posted a while back a list of prices in the shop but dont know if that would be up to date now .
Where else are you planning to eat at ?

Cheryl

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter