Official Poly construction update thread **updated video page 103(2/17/15)**

Hi there,

A few days ago we booked up a 10 night stay at the Polynesian for what we thought will be our dream honeymoon, paying the extra money for a CL LV room (which I guess puts us in Hawaii).

Then yesterday we discovered the terrible news regarding all the contruction next to the Hawaii beach, and the possibility that the main pool will be closed, and there being disruption around the CRH.

Today we just don't know what to do. Should we save money and downgrade to a CL GV room (as you can watch the wishes fireworks from the CL Lounge anyway)? Or should we just change hotels and go the GF?

To further complicate matters we booked on the last day that you could receive free disney dining plans. Which means (and has been confirmed by our travel agent) that if we do change to the GF we will effectively be making a new booking and such will now have to pay for the disney dining plans!

We're kind of in a tricky situation here. It's our honeymoon, which we have saved long and hard for, and supposed to be one the most magical experiences of our lives. The Polynesian was hands down our first choice. But with all this construction and the probability that the main pool will be closed (!) we're really deflated about the whole idea of staying at the Poly now.

Does anyone have any thoughts / advice on our situation??

That's a tough situation to be in. :sad2: Sorry you are having to deal with it, especially for your honeymoon.

We had planned to stay at the Poly next August and have now decided against it.

For your situation I would do one of the two options you mentioned - either downgrade to CL GV or book elsewhere. I sure wouldn't want to stay CL LV. But, that's jusy my opinion. If you are okay with the construction going on and don't mind having to walk to or take a boat to the GF to use the pool, then stay at the Poly. If those things are going to really put a damper on the trip for you, then I would stay at the GF or somewhere else. Maybe save the Poly for an anniversary trip a few years down the road when all the construction is done.

On another note -- I am a TA specializing in Disney Destinations. Anytime I have called to make changes for a client or for myself, Disney has always honored the discount/special the original reservation was booked under, even if it has expired. Changing to another resort does not even have to change your reservation number.

Good luck! :goodvibes

Momof2Disneyboys said:
That's a tough situation to be in. :sad2: Sorry you are having to deal with it, especially for your honeymoon.

We had planned to stay at the Poly next August and have now decided against it.

For your situation I would do one of the two options you mentioned - either downgrade to CL GV or book elsewhere. I sure wouldn't want to stay CL LV. But, that's jusy my opinion. If you are okay with the construction going on and don't mind having to walk to or take a boat to the GF to use the pool, then stay at the Poly. If those things are going to really put a damper on the trip for you, then I would stay at the GF or somewhere else. Maybe save the Poly for an anniversary trip a few years down the road when all the construction is done.

On another note -- I am a TA specializing in Disney Destinations. Anytime I have called to make changes for a client or for myself, Disney has always honored the discount/special the original reservation was booked under, even if it has expired. Changing to another resort does not even have to change your reservation number.

Good luck! :goodvibes

I also responded to his post on the Poly thread. I thought Disney would honor the discount, I'm glad to hear that's right!!!

Disney Fan Dan, I agree with Momof2Disneyboys. I would not stay CL LV with the construction going on. I actually wouldn't even stay CL if you get the FD plan. The longhouses on the other side of the resort are also nice. One of the longhouses on the other side does have LV rooms that would not be affected by construction. When are you going? If the pool closure is a major issue, I would pick a different resort, but remember, there is still the quiet pool at the Poly and if the Volcano Pool is in fact closed when you are there, you will have access to the GF pool. They will have a boat specifically for Poly guests taking them to GF.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

Always wanted to stay at the Poly. We have a cruise planned for next August and planned on staying at the Poly the day ahead of time. With all this about the contruction and the main pool closing I don't think it's worth it. What would you do for the 1 day?

Hi there,

A few days ago we booked up a 10 night stay at the Polynesian for what we thought will be our dream honeymoon, paying the extra money for a CL LV room (which I guess puts us in Hawaii).

Then yesterday we discovered the terrible news regarding all the contruction next to the Hawaii beach, and the possibility that the main pool will be closed, and there being disruption around the CRH.

Today we just don't know what to do. Should we save money and downgrade to a CL GV room (as you can watch the wishes fireworks from the CL Lounge anyway)? Or should we just change hotels and go the GF?

To further complicate matters we booked on the last day that you could receive free disney dining plans. Which means (and has been confirmed by our travel agent) that if we do change to the GF we will effectively be making a new booking and such will now have to pay for the disney dining plans!

We're kind of in a tricky situation here. It's our honeymoon, which we have saved long and hard for, and supposed to be one the most magical experiences of our lives. The Polynesian was hands down our first choice. But with all this construction and the probability that the main pool will be closed (!) we're really deflated about the whole idea of staying at the Poly now.

I would consider changing resorts, especially for a honeymoon trip. And I wouldn't fret too much about possibly losing the free dining. To get that, you'll be paying rack rate on your room. For a party of 2, a room discount at a deluxe resort almost always saves you more money than the free dining deal.

matt&jakesmom said:
Always wanted to stay at the Poly. We have a cruise planned for next August and planned on staying at the Poly the day ahead of time. With all this about the contruction and the main pool closing I don't think it's worth it. What would you do for the 1 day?

What time would you arrive at the resort? Are you planning on going to any of the parks that day? As of right now my DH and I are planning on flying in the day before our cruise and staying at the Hyatt at the airport. Depending what time we get in, we'll take a taxi to DTD for the day.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

We just got back from the Poly CL GV on monday. We had a wonderful stay. Barley had any impact by the construction and went back for naps and was still super quiet. We were in room 3521 over looking the quiet pool twords the construction end and still no noise. here are some pics I took from the lounge on our last day. And pics of wishes from the beach in front of Hawaii watching wishes.
DSC00081.jpg

DSC00082.jpg

DSC00083.jpg

DSC00084.jpg

DSC00085.jpg

IMG_4079.jpg

IMG_4078.jpg

IMG_4077.jpg

IMG_4076.jpg

IMG_4075.jpg

IMG_4074.jpg

What time would you arrive at the resort? Are you planning on going to any of the parks that day? As of right now my DH and I are planning on flying in the day before our cruise and staying at the Hyatt at the airport. Depending what time we get in, we'll take a taxi to DTD for the day.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

No we just plan on staying at resort. No parks. We just wanted to be in Florida the day before the cruise so there were no problems with airplane or weather if flying in the day of.

Hi there,

First, regarding the discount you booked under. In my experience all of the PP are correct. If you booked under a discount you can change your reservation and still use that discount, even though there cannot be any new bookings under that discount. last year we changed our GV Poly to GV CL Poly 3 weeks prior to the stay using the room only discount code we had booked under, and we were debating changing resorts, which we could have done under the same room only discount.

Second, regarding the construction at the resort. We were there 10/12-10/20 this year in a MKV CL room, and at that point the construction didn't bother us. The view wasn't perfect, like it has been in the past, but it was do-able. They put the yellow barriers up while we were there and started to take down the palm trees on sunset point, just for your reference. Now, based on the pictures I am seeing on here and tikimans facebook, I would probably think twice about staying lagoon view or MKV CL. That amount of dirt piles, machinery, and just general "ugliness" don't fit with the expensive view you are paying for. Personally I feel the rooms should be deeply discounted (like 50% or more) to justify the actual view you get, even though you do still see the castle in the distance. So since they don't do that, we won't stay in those rooms. If you decide on the Poly and CL is the most important for you, I would stay GV CL to save money and watch wished from the lounge. If you decide on the Poly and the view is most important, I would stay LV or MKV and request to be on the other side of the resort (sorry, blanking on the building name right now). I, personally, would stay GV CL. However, we never get the dining plan so we don't take that into consideration. In fact, we booked another stay Feb 1-9 2014 and initially booked LV CL, and changed it to GV CL based on the construction and price. With the 35% RO discount and GV instead of LV, we saved a lot of money.

Third, the pool. That's a tough one, and just a personal decision. If you'll be there in the really hot months, and think you'll swim, you might want to just stay at the GF. I know I would probably not bother with a shuttle to another pool. It's easy to run down from your room to swim, and back up if you forget something. It becomes a PITA if you have to walk 10 min or take a shuttle with all of your stuff, and repeat it for anything else you may have forgotten. There is another pool, which is fine, but it is essentially just a pool with no real theming, just nice gardens around it. It isn't zero entry, isn't that big, and has no slide, etc. (if you care). SInce we'll be there in Feb, when we likely wouldn't swim if the pool is closed, we decided to just not worry about it. If it would have been summer we would have chosen another resort (we have 2 kids who love to swim).

If they start tons of work on the grand ceremonial house in addition to everything else, i would just bail. I mean, one can only put up with so much when paying as much as they cahrge for the Poly. Having said that, I found out that my DH, who isn't a disney nut like I am but who likes to take vacations there, thinks staying at the Poly is a priority just based on conveneince with the monorail to both the MK and Epcot directly. He says if we have the club lounge, can see wishes, and have the monorail access he doesn't really care about the rest. It's worth it to not have to fold our strollers for the busses to MK and Epcot, and to have the direct monorail to both.

So that's just my take. If I had it my way, they wouldn't be building the obstructions to Hawaii and we would be staying LV CL in February.

matt&jakesmom said:
No we just plan on staying at resort. No parks. We just wanted to be in Florida the day before the cruise so there were no problems with airplane or weather if flying in the day of.

What about BC or YC? That way you would have access to SAB and then in the evening you could check out the BW.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

Thank you for the replies.

Since my initial post I have called our travel agents (Thomson Holidays) and triple checked with them and they confirmed that if we switch hotels we lose the free dining plan.

However we are now also considering a third option: Stay at the Poly, but downgrade to a standard room in one of the other longhouses, away from the unsightly construction. And then upgrade to a Deluxe disney dining plan! So we'd be saving a ton of money, losing the food in the Club Lounge but gaining the extra food on the upgraded dining plan.

With regards to losing the view from the Club Lounge, anyone can just walk onto the Hawaii beach at night and stand there and watch wishes and get the same view, can't they?

Since my initial post I have called our travel agents (Thomson Holidays) and triple checked with them and they confirmed that if we switch hotels we lose the free dining plan.

However we are now also considering a third option: Stay at the Poly, but downgrade to a standard room in one of the other longhouses, away from the unsightly construction. And then upgrade to a Deluxe disney dining plan! So we'd be saving a ton of money, losing the food in the Club Lounge but gaining the extra food on the upgraded dining plan.

With regards to losing the view from the Club Lounge, anyone can just walk onto the Hawaii beach at night and stand there and watch wishes and get the same view, can't they?

I'm not sure why they are telling you this, because it's simply not true. Have you asked them to call and try? Like I said, I have done this many times and there has never once been a problem or issue. Maybe if they don't specialize in Disney they just don't know. :confused3

That is a good option, to stay in a standard room and upgrade your dining.

Yes, anyone can walk onto the beach in front of the Hawaii building and watch Wishes. Most of the time. They do check and only allow Poly guests at certain times of the year - 4th of July being one of them. But, generally anyone can watch Wishes from there. As far as the CL lounge - only Poly CL guests can watch from there.

I also responded to his post on the Poly thread. I thought Disney would honor the discount, I'm glad to hear that's right!!!

Sent from my Galaxy SII

They do! Even when you book a bounceback offer, you can change it later and keep the discount or FD or whatever you booked. :goodvibes

Unless that's specific to free dining or a brand new rule, I know you can keep the same discount and change resorts. I found out by calling central reservations thinking I couldn't change due to the fact that the discount had ended for new reservations, and he told me that since we already had it booked we could make any alterations and use the discount. The only think I'm not sure of is if you can choose completley new dates, as we didn't try to do that. This was for room only. does that travel agent specialie in Disney vacations? I would actually call Disney yourself and ask them, I think your TA is wrong.

Anyone can watch wishes from the beach, and they pipe the music in.

Having never stayed CL (so no idea what I'm missing out on), I have stayed GV at Poly with the DxDP and had a wonderful vacation.:goodvibes

And, yes, you can watch Wishes on the beach an get a substantially similar view (albeit somewhat lower) than the Hawaii LH.

If you go with this option, I'd consider requesting a longhouse on the west side of the resort as its farther from most of the construction and closer to the GF.

Unless that's specific to free dining or a brand new rule, I know you can keep the same discount and change resorts. I found out by calling central reservations thinking I couldn't change due to the fact that the discount had ended for new reservations, and he told me that since we already had it booked we could make any alterations and use the discount. The only think I'm not sure of is if you can choose completley new dates, as we didn't try to do that. This was for room only. does that travel agent specialie in Disney vacations? I would actually call Disney yourself and ask them, I think your TA is wrong.

Anyone can watch wishes from the beach, and they pipe the music in.

You can change dates too, as long as you are picking a date that was included in the original promotion, PIN, or BB. And as long as there is availability. :)

You can change dates too, as long as you are picking a date that was included in the original promotion, PIN, or BB. And as long as there is availability. :)

I was just going to add, could it be that there is no availability with the FD for the resort that you want to change to?

I was just going to add, could it be that there is no availability with the FD for the resort that you want to change to?

That could be, but I was reading it as his TA was just saying it wasn't possible and he would have to cancel and rebook a whole new reservation , therefore losing the FD... Which doesn't make sense.

One more thing to add :)

I would not want to do the deluxe dining plan. Unless you're a foodie and plan to primarily eat on vacation, while only spending a little time doing everything else, I feel that having to be at 2 different ADRs every day would take almost all of your time. I know I find that having 1 ADR a day really structures our vacation more than we would like, and now that they charge you for changing your mind on the same day we make even fewer ADRs. I guess if you do a lot of signature meals that might mean you wouldn't have 2 ADRs a day, so that could make a difference. Also, since we don't have any interest in the dining plan and always use a RO discount, I don't know anything about the break even point for FD and what would make it more worth your money. I do know that when it used to include appetizer and tip it seemed to make it more worth it. Anyway, that's all just personal choice, I know tons of people love the dining plan and deluxe dining. I just wanted to give you the other side of it - I think the time it takes while there, the huge amt of advance planning it takes to schedule every meal of your trip way in advance, and the sheer volume of food you get make the dining plan and the deluxe dining plan no goes for us. I'm sure you'll have a great trip no matter what you end up doing! :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

Hello does anyone know if the Poly has lactaid milk for purchase at the on site store? Also distilled water for Cpap machine? If not any suggestions how to get these? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter