***Official*** Pandora: The World of Avatar Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got around to unpacking today and played with my banshee a little bit. One note for us Pooh or Baloo sized folks (or gym rats with Dwight Howard-esque shoulder structure): the magnetic "stand" that slides onto your shoulder might not slide on all the way like it would on someone with slim shoulders, but if you play around with the positioning a bit -- both of the stand and the hind legs on the banshee itself -- you should be able to get it on a spot that'll stay secure as you walk at a decent pace.

Plus, it's just a really fun toy for messing with your cats... I mean, not that I spent the last 30 minutes doing that or anything...

My dogs are not fans haha. I make mine growl at them though.

A tip for anyone who gets one. Make sure you straighten out he cable when you first use it each time. Since it is a tension puppet the cables need to be straight to start. Then you can wrap it around your body to get extra tension.

If anyone's interested in watching an 8.5 min walking video, here's a video of the Flight of Passage ride queue I filmed. Just went back and watched some of it and realized how much they had roped off for the previews that'll be open for crowds. Such an insane line but wow at the visuals

When people are waiting in line and have time to look around at everything, there's going to be a lot of cool stuff to explore. Just waiting my second ride and having a little bit longer wait and able to take in some of the details, pretty cool. Books by Jane Goodall, Pandora Botany books, personal notes from ACE workers left for other workers, mugs with coffee/stains in them, Navi language books..and that was all within a 5 ft section.

Just got back from the first of two previews, and I know there has been a lot of reviews already (I am clearly no one special so just have the regular AP and DVC previews) - Just thought I'd note a couple thoughts.

Beautiful - as others have said, the whole area is a work of art, no question about it, just walking around it was fascinating.

Flight of Avatar (rode it 3 times) was fantastic, absolutely fantastic. Somewhere between Star Tours and Soarin as far as "feel" but wow, the visuals and experience, including the que are stunning.

River ride - um, neat, beautiful for sure, and the animatronic at the end is ... insane. BUT .... BUT ... BUT ... Wow is that thing short ! For us it was a walk on (literally, they were sending empty boats) But, if the wait was any more than 10 mins ... I am not sure I would be very happy, I mean, maybe once, maybe. But there was not much there, it was SHORT, both in physical length (space) and time, I think the ride was a little under 6 minutes, but you move SLOW ... really really slow. Slower than people mover, or splash, or pirates, like really slow. So there isn't much to the ride, it was pretty, but ultimately disappointing.

The whole area, initially very impressive, but as I have thought about it more, I am less and less impressed with it. We had a two hour preview, with walk on's (Flight took more time to just absorb the awesome que than it would have taken to just walk through with the few people in line), we were done in an hour and a half. We looked at each other and felt a bit bad for leaving, but we were done. I guess I was just hoping for more, more to DO. My wife said it needed two more rides / attractions. Now, most people aren't going to just get walk on's, so of course they are going to end up spending more time there, but I am not sure that makes it any better, it might make it worse (that people are going to end up spending HOURS doing what should / could be done in 1.5).

Dunno, we will see how it all pans out, I also had a conversation with a CM today that apparently Flight might end up looking more like star tours with variable tours/locations in the future, which would improve its longevity. But I am not sure what impact this will have long term. I mean, they spent I am sure a TON of money there, and clearly a lot of time building this and designing it. I guess I just figure if they are going to put that much time and money into something they should build more attractions ? Or more total attraction value ? I am sure Flight will continue to be popular for some time, its quite impressive, but the river journey I was far less impressed with, and very much doubt its long term appeal.

Didn't get to experience it at night, which promises to be a whole other visual experience, but my over all assessment was ... "Good" a solid B. Flight of Passage, A+, The visual appeal of the Area A (I don't think the forced perspective works well, its the only knock on the visuals) Na'vi River C - (and that's first impression, over time I think this will go down), total amount to do D+.

(Also gets me a bit concerned about Toy Story Land and Star Wars land, which both promise 2 attractions I think, like Pandora, but, at least SWW stunning visuals and immersion)

My thoughts, Flight of the Avatar, totally worth a good solid wait, Na'vi river - I'd skip it if it were more than a few minute wait.

Just got back from the first of two previews, and I know there has been a lot of reviews already (I am clearly no one special so just have the regular AP and DVC previews) - Just thought I'd note a couple thoughts.

Beautiful - as others have said, the whole area is a work of art, no question about it, just walking around it was fascinating.

Flight of Avatar (rode it 3 times) was fantastic, absolutely fantastic. Somewhere between Star Tours and Soarin as far as "feel" but wow, the visuals and experience, including the que are stunning.

River ride - um, neat, beautiful for sure, and the animatronic at the end is ... insane. BUT .... BUT ... BUT ... Wow is that thing short ! For us it was a walk on (literally, they were sending empty boats) But, if the wait was any more than 10 mins ... I am not sure I would be very happy, I mean, maybe once, maybe. But there was not much there, it was SHORT, both in physical length (space) and time, I think the ride was a little under 6 minutes, but you move SLOW ... really really slow. Slower than people mover, or splash, or pirates, like really slow. So there isn't much to the ride, it was pretty, but ultimately disappointing.

The whole area, initially very impressive, but as I have thought about it more, I am less and less impressed with it. We had a two hour preview, with walk on's (Flight took more time to just absorb the awesome que than it would have taken to just walk through with the few people in line), we were done in an hour and a half. We looked at each other and felt a bit bad for leaving, but we were done. I guess I was just hoping for more, more to DO. My wife said it needed two more rides / attractions. Now, most people aren't going to just get walk on's, so of course they are going to end up spending more time there, but I am not sure that makes it any better, it might make it worse (that people are going to end up spending HOURS doing what should / could be done in 1.5).

Dunno, we will see how it all pans out, I also had a conversation with a CM today that apparently Flight might end up looking more like star tours with variable tours/locations in the future, which would improve its longevity. But I am not sure what impact this will have long term. I mean, they spent I am sure a TON of money there, and clearly a lot of time building this and designing it. I guess I just figure if they are going to put that much time and money into something they should build more attractions ? Or more total attraction value ? I am sure Flight will continue to be popular for some time, its quite impressive, but the river journey I was far less impressed with, and very much doubt its long term appeal.

Didn't get to experience it at night, which promises to be a whole other visual experience, but my over all assessment was ... "Good" a solid B. Flight of Passage, A+, The visual appeal of the Area A (I don't think the forced perspective works well, its the only knock on the visuals) Na'vi River C - (and that's first impression, over time I think this will go down), total amount to do D+.

(Also gets me a bit concerned about Toy Story Land and Star Wars land, which both promise 2 attractions I think, like Pandora, but, at least SWW stunning visuals and immersion)

My thoughts, Flight of the Avatar, totally worth a good solid wait, Na'vi river - I'd skip it if it were more than a few minute wait.

Thank you for you review - and I think it is totally understandable - I will say there is the night time experience to come which would add to the overall experience and I think there are to be some shows (the drum circle) and stuff as well - so that the Land itself is almost a 3rd attraction - and they have that activity on the app that will encourage you to explore the land more.

I think it is a lot like Animal Kingdom as a whole - if you focus on just the attractions it is a 1/2 day park .... if you enjoy just walking and exlporing and talking to CMs and stuff, it is a multi-day park (neither way is wrong)

I finally got around to unpacking today and played with my banshee a little bit. One note for us Pooh or Baloo sized folks (or gym rats with Dwight Howard-esque shoulder structure): the magnetic "stand" that slides onto your shoulder might not slide on all the way like it would on someone with slim shoulders, but if you play around with the positioning a bit -- both of the stand and the hind legs on the banshee itself -- you should be able to get it on a spot that'll stay secure as you walk at a decent pace.

What does the harness look like? Do you slip it all the way thru your arm or does it "clip" onto your shoulder?

Plus, it's just a really fun toy for messing with your cats... I mean, not that I spent the last 30 minutes doing that or anything...
That settles it! I'm totally getting one for my little monsters!

Hey guys - I have a FoP question- I've read a lot about how it's Soarin' on steroids or a combo of Star Tour and Soarin'. What I haven't been able to find, however, is what the ride vehicles actually do. Is the screen directly in front of you like on Star Tour or do you get lifted into the air like on Soarin'?

I love Star Tours, but I'm terrified of Soarin' (mostly because they raise you so far in the air and your legs dangle). I'd like to try FoP, but after nearly having a panic attack on Soarin' I'm a little worried. (Note: the video part of Soarin' doesn't bother me, it's the physical being so high with nothing under us.)

Thanks in advance for any insight.

What does the harness look like? Do you slip it all the way thru your arm or does it "clip" onto your shoulder?

That settles it! I'm totally getting one for my little monsters!

The included piece just sits on your shoulder then the banshee magnetics itself to that. If your shirt is flimsy or your shoulder deep then it doesn't sit exactly right. I usually have to play a second with it and I'm pretty average sized.

It's a half-circle with metal on the outside and a soft padding on the inside, so it basically "clips" onto the shoulder. My guess is you could also get a sufficiently wide metal bracelet and use it as a wrist mount for the banshee if you wanted to do that too (though at that point you'd have to use your other hand for the controls.

Are you talking about the metal piece that slips under your shirt and allows it to sit on your shoulder?.

ry%3D400

Hey guys - I have a FoP question- I've read a lot about how it's Soarin' on steroids or a combo of Star Tour and Soarin'. What I haven't been able to find, however, is what the ride vehicles actually do. Is the screen directly in front of you like on Star Tour or do you get lifted into the air like on Soarin'?

I love Star Tours, but I'm terrified of Soarin' (mostly because they raise you so far in the air and your legs dangle). I'd like to try FoP, but after nearly having a panic attack on Soarin' I'm a little worried. (Note: the video part of Soarin' doesn't bother me, it's the physical being so high with nothing under us.)

The screen is in front of you like on Soarin. Feels maybe a little closer.

The ride platform leans forward about 2 feet. You don't go up in the air. Your seat and those next to you remain bolted to the floor you came in on. Your vehicle moves like star tours somewhat. You also don't feel the platform go out toward the screen because they distract you with a few blinking lights and darkness as the wall in front of you goes away

You are in the air and can look down somewhat to see how far down it is (you'd be going out of your way), and you can look over and up if you're on the lower level and see other riders about a story up from you.

You don't have the dangling feeling like soarin and you have the seat, platform, and handles with you the entire time. You'll be fine

The screen is directly in front of you. Your feet remain planted on the floor, and furthermore there's a panel in front of your legs (from about knee to floor) and a smaller one behind the top of your calf/knee/lower thigh depending on length of your leg. Another panel kind of like a back rest comes up behind your lower back. So you feel very secure. We never felt like we might fall.

When you load onto the seats (motorcycle style) there's a wall in front of you. At start of ride it lifts up like a garage door so you can see the screen.

It's a beautiful ride, very smooth like Soarin' but very exciting like Star Tours, lots to see no matter where you look. But again we never felt in danger of falling!

Edited to add I agree with @CAS239 - IF you look around you can see you're on a sort of shelf. But the film is so engaging and interesting that you won't notice!

Last edited:
Okay interesting observation today about fitting in the seats on FOP. Rode on May 2nd in theatre A. I fit but had to have the seat backrest pushed by CM to click. Rode today 3x. First ride theatre B fit with no help needed. Second ride theatre A, felt like seat had less room between seat and space above lap....also noticed my butt was hanging off the back.....fit but need help from CM to click the backrest. Also my daughter felt like her butt was hanging off the back in A but not B. Third ride theatre B again...noticeably more room....butt was fully on the seat and did not need help getting the restraints to click. My conclusion is that for some reason there is a significant difference in the amount of lap/butt room in A compared to B. At first I thought it was my imagination, but after riding B then A then B again, plus my daughter having the same conclusion before I even mentioned it to her. I am convinced more room in B then A. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter