Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone!

Heading down to WDW next month for 5 days of WDW fun then a 5 day WDW cruise.

This will be our first visit for our DD (13 months) any suggestions on cakes? I'm trying to get creative (but nothing too expensive) as a way of saying "welcome to disney". Our DD had a Minnie Mouse themed birthday cake, so I'm trying to stay away from the typical Minnie Mouse theme.

Please help! This is for our dinner at 'Ohana.. not sure if that is important.

Does she have any favorite characters yet? That's always a good bet. Or maybe you could ask for a tropical/Lilo and Stitch theme, since it's 'Ohana? For a little one who's that little, I'd probably just get the podium cake when I checked in at the restaurant. Cheap 'n' cheerful!

Thanks for the reply!

What is a podium cake? Same as a mini tier cake?

I like the Lilo and Stitch idea... but we (DD and myself) love Olaf.

Thanks for the reply!

I like the Lilo and Stitch idea... but we (DD and myself) love Olaf.
If you're open to a 6 inch or so, you could do a cake with standing 2d of Olaf (I think) surrounded by tropical flowers (IN SUMMER)? Maybe do frosting or fondant in a nice blue for the sky? We did a beach Stitch theme similiar to the concept, which turned out REALLY cute last year for my daughter's birthday.

"Podium cakes" are the 6-inch all-chocolate or all-vanilla cakes you can get for $23 just by asking when you check in at the restaurant podium.

0cc0193f-6f9a-44f4-8eeb-a454d5136c66.jpg

"Podium cakes" are the 6-inch all-chocolate or all-vanilla cakes you can get for $23 just by asking when you check in at the restaurant podium.

0cc0193f-6f9a-44f4-8eeb-a454d5136c66.jpg
Do they always say Happy Birthday or can you get them with something else (or nothing) written on top? Are they nut free?

That's just what they look like at the Magic Kingdom. Usually they're more like this on top:
P1110016.jpg

Oh, and Disney can't guarantee they haven't come into contact with nuts.

I keep forgetting to post the minicake Chef Brian made for my birthday at California Grill. I sent him a photo of a really colorful cake and asked for that plus sparkles—"over-the-top girliness" may have been my exact words—and boy did he deliver!

• Price: $45
  • Size: 2-tier minicake
  • Flavors: Vanilla cake with alternating layers of chocolate ganache and peanut butter frosting, covered in vanilla buttercream frosting

IMG_3449.jpg

IMG_3451.jpg

IMG_3453.jpg

IMG_3457.jpg

IMG_3454.jpg

IMG_3458.jpg

I thought it tasted great, but my husband thought the vanilla buttercream frosting was too greasy. I think I need to stick with cream cheese buttercream frosting for his sake next time—he LOVES that stuff!

Just started the whole cake ordering process! I've never ordered one before, but, since we are finally staying on property for the first time and it's our tenth anniversary, seemed like a good time to order a cake. I asked for a beach/ocean themed one as that's what our wedding was and the cake had little seashells on it. Anyhow, received an email right away with a picture of a cake that was pretty much what I was looking for. Janet just wasn't sure they could pull it off on a 6" cake. So, we'll see. But, without this forum I wouldn't have even realized it was an option. So, YAY! Thanks guys and I'll post photos when we get it. (Middle of April)

OK, this thread needs a bump!

Here are the birthday cakes I ordered myself at the Four Seasons at Walt Disney World last fall. I couldn't decide between red velvet with cream cheese frosting and vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream frosting, so I got both in the smallest size they make: 6 inches. The concierge who sent me the order form said they don't make mini cakes, but then when we checked in, they surprised us with a mini bittersweet chocolate mousse cake, so I dunno how that works. At any rate, it was a whole lotta cake!

• Price: $45 each
  • Size: 6-inch cakes
  • Date Received: November 2014
  • Cake info: Red Velvet with Cream Cheese and "Vanilla Diplomat" (vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream frosting)
Ordering info is in Post #1 of this thread.

IMG_3137.jpg

IMG_3139.jpg

IMG_3140.jpg

IMG_3141.jpg

IMG_3138.jpg

IMG_3254.jpg

IMG_3252.jpg

IMG_3142.jpg

If I'd known they were gonna surprise us with a mini chocolate ganache cake and Key Lime tarts for my birthday, I woulda saved 90 bucks on cake!

IMG_3021.jpg

IMG_3260.jpg

IMG_3022.jpg

I think I have too basic a palate for these highfalutin kind of cakes. I like the thick, almost gritty buttercream of old-fashioned cakes, not the more-butter-than-sugar taste of the buttercream they use at fancy places. These didn't have much favor to me. But if you're someone with more refined tastes who actually thinks there is such a thing as "too sweet," you might like the cakes at the Four Seasons.

Hi everyone! New to this site, love all the tips & info.

I'm taking my daughter "home"(wdw) for her 16th birthday in July, loads of stuff already planned but last thing to do is get her a cake for her birthday dinner in chef mickeys!

She wants a Peter pan cake with the silhouettes has anyone had a Peter pan one from wdw?

Also has anyone on this board ordered from UK?

Thanks in advance!

I finally decided to have my DD Minnie Mouse cake delivered to our late breakfast at Chef Mickey. She's turning 3 that exact day and her birthday request is to get a Minnie Mouse cake and eat with Minnie. Do you think I can ask at the podium if it's possible to coordinate the cake and Minnie's visit at our table? She would freak out if she could have both at the same time!!!

I finally decided to have my DD Minnie Mouse cake delivered to our late breakfast at Chef Mickey. She's turning 3 that exact day and her birthday request is to get a Minnie Mouse cake and eat with Minnie. Do you think I can ask at the podium if it's possible to coordinate the cake and Minnie's visit at our table? She would freak out if she could have both at the same time!!!

We ordered a Goofy cake for our youngest son's birthday at Chef Mickey's in January. The cake was adorable and a huge treat for our little one because nobody else in the family likes cake. (I make just about every kid treat - including cupcakes - except for cake.) On an earlier cake chatter thread, I read about someone who ordered a Goofy cake and Goofy delivered it. That sounded wonderful, but I decided not to ask. At the podium, I mentioned that we ordered a Goofy cake. The CM at the podium told me they didn't have a cake for us. The CM who seated us overheard and corrected the podium CM right away, saying that she personally picked up the cake and liked it so much that she texted a photo of it to her parents. :) Point is, I wasn't asking for anything additional given the initial interaction with the podium CM. So cake arrives, it's great and the characters are still coming through. Goofy approaches our table for the second time, and our son asked Goofy very politely if they could have another photo together - this time with the Goofy cake. Goofy pointed to the next table and moved on.

Honestly, none of this bothers me. (Well, except for the part where they said they didn't have the cake - didn't like that - and the fact that I don't like Chef Mickey's, but we all took one for the team on our son's birthday!) I just mention it because I know how much we can get our hopes up for something really cool to happen after reading about it here. When I know that it's hit-or-miss, I manage my expectations in a way that keeps me happy. :) I also understand the "it doesn't hurt to ask" theory. But if I get the vibe that asking is going to result in a less-than-magical response from a CM, then I'll skip it. So maybe make a game-time decision about asking when you arrive!

I have a question! If you get your cake delivered to a resort restaurant and can't eat it all, will they box it up for you or put it in the original box it came in? I'm going to have a cake made for me and one other person but don't want to have to throw it away since we won't be able to eat it all. We would like to take it back with us to the resort. I'm just asking this because I know Magic Kingdom doesn't do food boxes and wondered if anyone else followed that rule on the Disney property?

I have a question! If you get your cake delivered to a resort restaurant and can't eat it all, will they box it up for you or put it in the original box it came in? I'm going to have a cake made for me and one other person but don't want to have to throw it away since we won't be able to eat it all. We would like to take it back with us to the resort. I'm just asking this because I know Magic Kingdom doesn't do food boxes and wondered if anyone else followed that rule on the Disney property?

We've had several cakes at Magic Kingdom and we were given the boxes to take them back to our resort each time. I would expect any restaurant to at least give you the boxes to transport them to you resort.

Hi Everyone!

We are celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary at Disney, and have reserved a Private Wishes Cruise departing from GF!!! We celebrated our 20th Wedding Anniversary, and Pat at the GF helped us create the most amazing cake, and I am wanting to replicate it!! Once I contact her, is there any way to get a picture to her of what I am wanting? I know last time I ordered, it was a lot of back and forth playing phone tag, and I'm not sure I ever ACTUALLY spoke to her!! Do I just leave her a message, and ask if there is any way to email her a picture? Thanks!!

Apologies if this has been asked before I have tried looking but no luck.

I would like to discuss a cake order and get a quote from the grand floridian. Is there an email I can send picture ideas to or do I have to call the number in the first post and try to describe what I want?

Thank you

Hi Everyone!

We are celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary at Disney, and have reserved a Private Wishes Cruise departing from GF!!! We celebrated our 20th Wedding Anniversary, and Pat at the GF helped us create the most amazing cake, and I am wanting to replicate it!! Once I contact her, is there any way to get a picture to her of what I am wanting? I know last time I ordered, it was a lot of back and forth playing phone tag, and I'm not sure I ever ACTUALLY spoke to her!! Do I just leave her a message, and ask if there is any way to email her a picture? Thanks!!

Apologies if this has been asked before I have tried looking but no luck.

I would like to discuss a cake order and get a quote from the grand floridian. Is there an email I can send picture ideas to or do I have to call the number in the first post and try to describe what I want?

Thank you

@stone0990 and @FutureMrsF : You need to contact the Private Dining rep first by phone, and then she will give you an email address for sending photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter