No Fireworks Again....

dis2008

No Fireworks Sat and Sun Night.

I know that they don't want to burn Anaheim down.... but no fireworks again tonight! So two nights in a row... hoping they will get them in over the next few days....

"higher winds at upper levels" Hope not to hear thqt phrase again this week!

I know what you mean!!
We just got back tonight. We arrived on Sunday evening, 7/30, right at 9:15, and the kids and I rushed to the third floor of our hotel, where our room was, so we could catch the fireworks. There were none that night. There was also no fireworks on the Monday, or the Tuesday, either. We watched the Electrical Parade on that Monday night, and there was a chatty little boy by us. He asked where a good place was to view fireworks, because he wanted to see them on Tuesday night, which was his last day in the parks. He totally missed them, and I was bummed for him.

Of course, we didn't actually get to see the fireworks the whole time we were there, but a big part of that was because we were so busy trying to get other stuff in.

I went on a day trip on Wednesday Aug 2 and the fireworks were performed, although the announcer came on 10 minutes before and warned that they might be cancelled due to winds higher up (there were no noticable winds at ground level but this does not matter). On the previous three nights, July 30, 31 and Aug 1, they were cancelled. So we lucked out. And now they were cancelled the last two nights apparently. There were two main reasons I went on this day trip. First was to see the revamped POTC, and second was to see the fireworks again (saw them once in 2005).

I have a rule for this kind of thing, and will share it here for those who go on multi-day trips (if you are on a day trip then it is just the luck of the draw):

HydroGuy's Fireworks Rule:

Do not save fireworks for the last night of your trip. Plan to see them on the first or second night so you have more opportunuties should they get cancelled.

A similar rule applies to Fantasmic and Parades but it is not as strict. These can get cancelled due to ground weather which is usually not a problem at DLR in the summer but can be during other times of the year.

And still another rule of mine is to go on the rides most important to you and your group as soon as possible in the trip. In year 2000 we were planning Space Mtn for the afternoon of Day #1 on a three day trip. And it broke down that afternoon and was down for the rest of the trip. So my munchkins did not get to ride it. Then in 2003 it was down for refurb. So we never got them on Space Mtn until 2005 - on the morning of Day #1 this time.

BTW, in case I am making you really nervous, the recent spate of fireworks cancellations is not typical. Yes they do get cancelled. But the frequency of cancellations over the last week is highly unusual. When we went in August 2005, FWIW, they were cancelled three times in the two weeks prior to our trip. Even so, HydroGuy's rule still applies - see them early in the trip.

It has been really windy in the afternoons and evenings this past week. The water temp is pretty high this year - so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Usually its because as the warm air rises on land - the cooler air over the water comes in to fill the space - so it doesn't make too much sense if that air is warmer also. Where's Dr. George when you need a good meteorologist? :teacher:

My sister and I have been on the phone the past few nights from 9:30 to ten and commented that we never heard the fireworks, as we are used to hearing them nightly. One day a few weeks ago, we left home at 8:45 and drove to DL to watch the fireworks, we got in the park at 9:25 exactly, I looked around, and said to my sister, looks like they are going to cancel the fireworks. Sure enough, a few seconds later they made the announcement.

Unfortunately even if it's not window down where you are standing, it can still be windy up where the fireworks are. Also watch for the test balloons, you can tell by the direction they are going if the fireworks will be canceled or not.

It's no surprise. We noticed it's been windy.

Woody

We were there Sunday night when they announced no fireworks. I have seen them many times but felt terrible for those from out of the area who missed trheir chance because they are totally awesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter