NEW VGF Building

Shocked this thread died. I guess since there’s no new information yet and people are having fun on the 8/5 sale date thread 😂

We own 140 at VGF (along with AUL and AKL) and were thinking of purchasing some more VGF2 when sales started. Now with FP+ dead and Genie+ and LL as a replacement, we’re starting to feel Disney wants to price us out. We can afford all of this even more DVC and LL, etc. but at a certain point, that vacation value can be found elsewhere. We loved how DVC saved us a ton on rooms and we could hop in the park for 3-4 hours and ride some of the rides with FP+ and come back and enjoy the villa.

I think we’re out on VGF2! 😞 Definitely not selling but maybe we’ll do larger rooms less often.

Shocked this thread died. I guess since there’s no new information yet and people are having fun on the 8/5 sale date thread 😂

We own 140 at VGF (along with AUL and AKL) and were thinking of purchasing some more VGF2 when sales started. Now with FP+ dead and Genie+ and LL as a replacement, we’re starting to feel Disney wants to price us out. We can afford all of this even more DVC and LL, etc. but at a certain point, that vacation value can be found elsewhere. We loved how DVC saved us a ton on rooms and we could hop in the park for 3-4 hours and ride some of the rides with FP+ and come back and enjoy the villa.

I think we’re out on VGF2! 😞 Definitely not selling but maybe we’ll do larger rooms less often.

I agree it’s because we have no new info. I am waiting for VGF to see the price. I’ll be doing more direct and most likely here unless it’s so out of whack with RIV…then I buy more there.

I was surprised tonight when DH said maybe we should sell some of our DVC. Especially since we added 2 200 point contracts this year. But with some of these changes, he's really thinking that we could take our grandchildren on equally nice vacations on the even years and Disney trips on the odd. For us the new Genie+ could be very costly as our family is already up to 12!

he's really thinking that we could take our grandchildren on equally nice vacations on the even years and Disney trips on the odd.
We've tended to take at least a couple of vacations a year, and generally at most one per year was Disney--the others have all been Something Else. We started doing that when the kids were both early in grade school, and my youngest is about to start his last year in college. Looking back on it, I think that worked very well for us. In fact, that was one of the reasons we didn't buy into DVC at the beginning--it would have maxed out our vacation budget when we were a young couple, and we didn't want to put all of our vacation eggs in the WDW basket.

Change is difficult. I am waiting to see how this Genie all plays out. I think people are forgetting about an agenda Disney has here. They want to reduce crowds at the parks. What better way than to raise prices on various purchases ( AP’s, tickets, after hours events, food, etc). By the comments I have been reading, looks like Disney is achieving this goal.

Change is difficult. I am waiting to see how this Genie all plays out. I think people are forgetting about an agenda Disney has here. They want to reduce crowds at the parks. What better way than to raise prices on various purchases ( AP’s, tickets, after hours events, food, etc). By the comments I have been reading, looks like Disney is achieving this goal.
Disney absolutely does NOT want to reduce crowds at the parks. If this was their goal, they could:

1. Limit Park Passes.
2. Raise ticket prices a lot.

Their goal is to make (even more) money. Crowded parks means more food, beverage, and merchandise sales. Crowded parks means more profit.

They also want to maximize revenue generated by the attractions. They do this by offering tiers, so the peons get stuck in Standby lines, those above them get Genie+, and those above them also purchase premium access to 2 attractions.

More crowds means that you’ll pay even more for Genie+ and 2 individual attraction purchases. Remember IAP is based on wait times, meaning the more crowded the park, the more you’ll have to pay.

Meanwhile, Disney is describing the $15 Genie+ as an “introductory price.” It’s going up once the introductory period ends.

This is nothing more than a plan to increase profits.

Last edited:
Disney absolutely does NOT want to reduce crowds at the parks. If this was their goal, they could:

1. Limit Park Passes.

Their goal is to make (even more) money. Crowded parks means more food, beverage, and merchandise sales. Crowded parks means more profit.
Thank you for making this point! So many people seem to have bought into the crowd reduction theory. Agree that this is not Disney's goal.

1. Limit Park Passes.

It depends on which coast you're on. In Anaheim, the goal very much (maybe 100%) is to reduce crowds, based on their composition. Disney is (and has been) unhappy with the huge numbers of local AP holders who flood the parks daily, just to wander about for an hour or so, grab a meal, and MAYBE go on a couple of rides. There were a crazy number of people who visited the parks 2 or 3 or more times every week, entering at the same time, hitting the same food locations, and going on the same rides. Over and over and over. You only need to stand on Main Street at fireworks time to realize there seem to be more people standing around you at 9:30 then you saw in the whole park all day long. These folks tend to disproportionately gum up more popular rides and food locations, limiting (in Disney's eyes) the ability of non AP's to fully enjoy (read spend maximum cash) in the parks. The support for this comes in several flavors:

1. The new reservation systems allow for day users and AP's to reserve park admission from different buckets. Disney can limit AP access during peak and holiday periods, and bump up the allocation to day users and out of towners (non AP's). This way, even at the highest AP levels (Dream Key), even though there are no blackout dates, they can still keep AP's at a controlled number through limiting reservation slots.

2. By migrating to the new Genie system, those few (we'll call them E Ticket rides for nostalgic purposes) attractions that get swamped with AP's are now somewhat less appealing. Now, that AP that wants to run into DCA after work on Friday evening just to ride Screamin, Web Slingers, and RSR and grab some chow at Flo's, is slightly less inclined to do so. If you scroll though Facebook pages and other social media, the single biggest complaint/worry BY A LANDSLIDE for the "Legacy Passholders", was when or if FastPass, MaxPass and PhotoPass were ever coming back. Nothing was even a close second. I actually think the higher cost for Genie+ in Anaheim ($20 versus $15 per person) has less to do with the previously established cost in Anaheim, or the number of parks in Orlando, and again more to do with having control over the habitual local AP holder who's going in 2 or 3 times per week (or more). In a couple of threads, folks asked why you need a PhotoPass when you're going in so often and riding the same rides, and people honestly seem to want all 20 shots going down Splash this week, even though they went down it 25 times last week and the week before as well.

Now obviously Disney isn't doing it out of the kindness of their hearts and love for the day user or out of town guest, but growing stories of park overcrowding had to have some perceived impact on increasing non-AP attendance and the associated higher per-day spending of a non-AP guest. The only head-scratcher was the return of payment plans, which as many AP's had even commented during the great Dark Time before the Key system was announced, was both the biggest contributer to the high AP numbers, and possibly the only hurdle many saw to purchasing a new pass before the Magic Key system was announced.

All this has much less to do with Florida, as the visitor "demographics" are significant;y different so it definitely is a coastal thing.

A friend stayed at GF last week. She said no activity at Big Pine Key. I think this is going to be a quick renovation if opening next summer. No gutting the building like they did at Poly and reconfiguring.

Okay all - I couldn’t wait for DVC to start reselling VGF direct…just submitted for a resale contract. I can’t wait to stay in VGF2!!!! Here’s to just hoping that DVC doesn’t start selling direct less than what I am going to pay. 🤪

Okay all - I couldn’t wait for DVC to start reselling VGF direct…just submitted for a resale contract. I can’t wait to stay in VGF2!!!! Here’s to just hoping that DVC doesn’t start selling direct less than what I am going to pay. 🤪
We did the same. I wanted to wait for direct but my spouse overruled me when we found a contract with all 2020 points that were banked and that we were able to rent out. :) (I'm assuming VGF2 will start with 2021 points.)

Disney was quick with passing ROFR (are they ROFRing any VGF contracts at this moment?) but took almost 4 weeks from contract closing to load the points.

I don't think we'll see VGF2 go for sale until early next year.

I'm sticking with my prediction of $220pp initially.

We did the same. I wanted to wait for direct but my spouse overruled me when we found a contract with all 2020 points that were banked and that we were able to rent out. :) (I'm assuming VGF2 will start with 2021 points.)

Disney was quick with passing ROFR (are they ROFRing any VGF contracts at this moment?) but took almost 4 weeks from contract closing to load the points.

I don't think we'll see VGF2 go for sale until early next year.

I'm sticking with my prediction of $220pp initially.

We did the same - this contract has 2020 points banked into 2021 that we can use and 2021 already fully banked into 2022…it was screaming my name!

I do not like they took the easy way and simply made resort (hotel) rooms. Rooms with 2 beds do not interest us as a couple. Some Resort Kings or even Queens with a pulldown would've been better for us. Personally, if they gave us a king bed, no kitchenette & for less points and we would've been happy.

VGF2 is a no go for us. Though all the recent WDW changes already cured us of addonitis. Overall I like the looks of the refurbishment (esp the resort room aesthetics).

I am really afraid deluxe studios (& even 2 bedrooms) will be even harder to book. We may sell and take on more AKL or nothing at all depending how this shakes out with availability.

Exactly what I figured they would do and I love them. I'd choose that over a studio. The timeline and calling them Resort Studios made it sound like this is what they would be doing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter