• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DS is turning 11 next weekend so we thought for his bday we’d take him to DL to build a lightsaber. Likely fly down on 9/20 so he can build on 9/21. I just looked into booking a reservation and everything is all booked 9/16-10/19. Anyone have an idea if spots readily open up? Should I obsessively be checking the site for a spot or is it going to be next to impossible?

Thanks for any insight you might have!

Reservations open 14 days in advance so your dates aren’t yet available to reserve (they aren’t booked, just not available yet to reserve). Hope you have a fantastic birthday celebration!

Last edited:
Reservations open 14 days in advance so your dates aren’t yet available. Hope you have a fantastic birthday celebration!
Thanks for the info! I was thinking that might be the case but dates later in Oct were showing open so I got worried. I didn’t try clicking on one of those though to see what it would do.

I have not been following the SWGE stuff too closely because we did not have a trip to DLR planned this year. Now we are doing a last-minute-to-us trip in Nov. My DD loves all rides (except GotG) but she has special needs. She is non verbal and does not understand language like a neurotypical person does. She does not have mobility issues.

Does anyone know how the ride works for someone like her? Is there a position we should have her take that does not include instructions (or has simpler commands)? I have been reading that CMs give the cards by order you come in, can we request anything specific?

I have not been following the SWGE stuff too closely because we did not have a trip to DLR planned this year. Now we are doing a last-minute-to-us trip in Nov. My DD loves all rides (except GotG) but she has special needs. She is non verbal and does not understand language like a neurotypical person does. She does not have mobility issues.

Does anyone know how the ride works for someone like her? Is there a position we should have her take that does not include instructions (or has simpler commands)? I have been reading that CMs give the cards by order you come in, can we request anything specific?
Maybe the gunner position? If you let the computer choose the "automatic" setting (which it will within a minute or so without your having to do anything), then your DD would only have to hit one button to fire the guns. But -- one trick that works -- she could also keep her finger pressed on the button continually throughout the ride, and it would still work the same as if she hit it every time Hondo gave the command to "Fire!" I've done the ride both ways and it doesn't make a noticeable difference. (And keeping the button pressed down continually is a little easier for those with carpal tunnel issues.) And, I think with either engineer or gunner, it wouldn't matter too much what she does or doesn't do -- the computer can compensate. But engineer has to deal with more buttons and gunner only has to deal with one, for the most part.
As for the CM with the cards, just flag them down quickly ahead of time and let them know that your DD has special needs. I'm sure they'll be willing to work with you on this.

@theluckyrabbit - thanks for the info, that is exactly what I was looking for. I am really out of the loop on SWGE at this point, will remedy that asap ;)

If we are not staying on property, what do we do with the light saber and droid we made while we experience the rest of DL and CA? Are the lockers big enough to fit this stuff or do you have to carry it around? Just wondering.......

@theluckyrabbit - thanks for the info, that is exactly what I was looking for. I am really out of the loop on SWGE at this point, will remedy that asap ;)
Any position can run on an automatic computer mode as long as that position is not “checked in,” so just let the CM know that you don’t want to check her in.
@tzeitel: you might want to watch a few ride through videos on YouTube to see what kind of verbal commands are on the audio for each position so that you can determine if it would be bothersome to your DD or if she would be able to tune it out. The ride is rather loud (I wear ear plugs when we ride), and Hondo gives commands for each position (which you can ignore if you want). The suggestion to let the CM know not to check your DD in to her position is a good one -- but just check to make sure that all the verbal commands on the audio won't be an issue.

If we are not staying on property, what do we do with the light saber and droid we made while we experience the rest of DL and CA? Are the lockers big enough to fit this stuff or do you have to carry it around? Just wondering.......
The first order store will let you check your items for package pick up in the front of the park later in the day. We've done it several times.

Just in case you missed it, the ban was reversed. (Cant post link cuz this this site thinks this is a spam)

I flew 3 bottles back with southwest airlines back in July. I can understand that the xray may look scary, but the ban was silly.

I've been following several threads on the WDW side of DIS, and I've also been watching the WDW app. Honestly, it's unfolding exactly like DL did, except in Florida. The first day there were tons of people and the boarding groups were activated--for a few hours. By 3:30, the boarding groups were taken off line and haven't been used since. By 5:30 pm on opening day, MFSR was down to a 95 minute wait. It hovered between 75-95 minutes all day yesterday, but seems to be a bit longer today.

Reviews are mixed. A lot of people LOVE it. A lot of people like it. And a lot of people think Disney made a grave error by not following the original trilogy and hate it. The blue and green milk, the ride, the food and merch... pretty much all the reactions are the same. The prevailing theory on the WDW side is that attendance is down because of Hurricane Dorian's approach. The prevailing theory on the DL side was that attendance was down because APs were blocked. But now APs are unblocked and crowds are still low. So it'll be interesting to see what happens once Dorian's threat passes. I am just so fascinated by the whole thing.

The impending hurricane has significantly affected crowds here. Out of towners, which is the majority of our crowd, have left early or cancelled altogether. All wait times at all parks have been much, much lower than normal since mid-week last week. At this moment only six things at MK are over a 20 minute wait, which is unheard of past 10:00 even during our "slow" times, which are busy compared to ten years ago. Local passholder here. WDW just announced the parks are closing early tomorrow. I feel sorry for those whose plans were affected, but man, did I have a nice day at the parks yesterday. :)

Do you guys get to spend much time in the lounge on the Falcon before being called to the cockpit? Here it seems most are getting less than a minute, which is quite annoying. I want to spend a good five minutes exploring the lounge, it's so amazing to be in.

The impending hurricane has significantly affected crowds here. Out of towners, which is the majority of our crowd, have left early or cancelled altogether. All wait times at all parks have been much, much lower than normal since mid-week last week. At this moment only six things at MK are over a 20 minute wait, which is unheard of past 10:00 even during our "slow" times, which are busy compared to ten years ago. Local passholder here. WDW just announced the parks are closing early tomorrow. I feel sorry for those whose plans were affected, but man, did I have a nice day at the parks yesterday. :)

Do you guys get to spend much time in the lounge on the Falcon before being called to the cockpit? Here it seems most are getting less than a minute, which is quite annoying. I want to spend a good five minutes exploring the lounge, it's so amazing to be in.
I don’t think I’ve ever spent that much time in the lounge part. They are quick to get groups through, and then line up the next group. If you want to take a picture at the table, go straight there as soon as you get in the lounge because there’s usually a mini wait.

The beer tooth board is now $85...but I’m crazy and still bought it :rolleyes1 I might do a cool little project with it at home

The beer tooth board is now $85...but I’m crazy and still bought it :rolleyes1 I might do a cool little project with it at home
I just saw that today and told DH. He’s still buying it too 😂

Other random question. When placing a mobile order at Ronto’s Roasters, is there any ability to customize the meal? Specifically, if I wanted to order a Ronto Roaster that is just the sausage and pita (no slaw or pork loin) for my child, would that be permitted or would I have to actually order in person?

Other random question. When placing a mobile order at Ronto’s Roasters, is there any ability to customize the meal? Specifically, if I wanted to order a Ronto Roaster that is just the sausage and pita (no slaw or pork loin) for my child, would that be permitted or would I have to actually order in person?
There's no option to customize on the app. (Which I found out by opening the app and going through all the steps to mobile order, then cancelling before purchase. You can do that from anywhere. Something new for you to play with!)

ETA: Now that I have my app open, HOW LOW ARE THOSE WAIT TIMES?!? Good grief, I get that it's hot, but it's Labor Day! This is just crazy.

While there's no option to customize, I noticed they pull the wraps as soon as you say you've arrived, so perhaps you could walk up, tell them you're about to "arrive" and ask them to just give you one plain dog. Interestingly, my picky son was "forced" to try the wrap and loved it since I had no ability customize the first time we ordered there.

There's no option to customize on the app. (Which I found out by opening the app and going through all the steps to mobile order, then cancelling before purchase. You can do that from anywhere. Something new for you to play with!)

ETA: Now that I have my app open, HOW LOW ARE THOSE WAIT TIMES?!? Good grief, I get that it's hot, but it's Labor Day! This is just crazy.
LOL I went from rope drop until about 10:30, and it was amazing. Hot, but amazing! I saw full trams heading in, but it still doesn't look bad at all for wait times.

... ETA: Now that I have my app open, HOW LOW ARE THOSE WAIT TIMES?!? Good grief, I get that it's hot, but it's Labor Day! This is just crazy.
This was the least crowded Labor Day ever! Hot, yes. Humid, yes. But just not crowded at all! We were the only table in the S55 lounge for a long time -- lovely! Walked right up to a railing spot across from IASW for the first MSEP a little after 8 pm and stayed for fireworks -- crowds were minor to moderate. And the shortest line I've seen at the TT train station after fireworks in a long time.
Never got into GE, so I don't know how crowds were there. As for customizing a Ronto Wrap, we do this all the time without Mobile Ordering. Just go at non-peak times -- it doesn't take long to order or for your food to be prepared.

While there's no option to customize, I noticed they pull the wraps as soon as you say you've arrived, so perhaps you could walk up, tell them you're about to "arrive" and ask them to just give you one plain dog. Interestingly, my picky son was "forced" to try the wrap and loved it since I had no ability customize the first time we ordered there.
Thanks! My initial though was that there’s no way in Endor my son would touch one of those things (because 5-year-olds), but we talked about the exciting “Luke Skywalker food” available for purchase, and he says he’s game. He asked to see a picture, and the first thing he said is, “I don’t want any stuff on mine. Just ketchup.” 🙄 Anyway, he will live without the ketchup, but the slaw is a hard no. I’m just going to get in the line while DH takes The Boy to get a blue milk and skip the mobile ordering altogether. I’m excited that plain wraps are an option at all though!

That is weird to me that there is no option to customize the Ronto Roaster lunch wrap when mobile ordering because for the breakfast one you can remove the sauce, cheese, and sausage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter