NEW GREAT SWAP/SMILEY DEBATE(former "Pop Will .... Fridges For Swap?" thread)

lisadr

<font color=blue>I amused the bejeedles out of mys
I was reading on one of the fridge swaps that the manager at Pop had told them they were going to stop holding items at luggage services. Their fridge was lost and they were trying to find it and that is when they were informed about this.

I also read that they are no longer issuing receipts for the items checked in through luggage services.

Have any other swap leaders heard anything about these two new policies? If so could you share what info you heard. Also besides a face to face swap-how are you going to handle these new policies??

Thanks Swappers!!

Here's the thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1788952&page=13

Lisa

OMG! I hope this is not true!!! I am signed up for a fridge AND a stoller swap! I am really depending on the stroller!

As if its not tough enough to keep these swaps going, please say it isnt so !

I havent heard anything about this yet,

I was reading on one of the fridge swaps that the manager at Pop had told them they were going to stop holding items at luggage services. Their fridge was lost and they were trying to find it and that is when they were informed about this.

I also read that they are no longer issuing receipts for the items checked in through luggage services.

Have any other swap leaders heard anything about these two new policies? If so could you share what info you heard. Also besides a face to face swap-how are you going to handle these new policies??

Thanks Leaders!!

Lisa

I'm amazed that they ever did. Considering that they'll rent you a fridge to make more money, why would they waste their resources to to assist people in avoiding an upcharge?

We checked in at Pop Aug 25th and checked out Sep 1 and had no issues with picking up our fridge swap and dropping it off. In fact, the staff was very helpful. OP, can you link the thread discussing the no holds.

As if its not tough enough to keep these swaps going, please say it isnt so !

I havent heard anything about this yet,

I honestly don't think Disney cares how 'tough' it is...nor should they. Folks are using them as a free storage site, and that's just not right.

Luggage storage is something that should be considered 'short' term, for personal items when you're room isn't ready or when you're checking out well before you need to leave for the airport. It shouldn't be a permanent holding area with the same items moving in and out on a regular basis.

If Disney was smart, they'd actually start charging for storage beyond the 24-hour mark. Give folks a time-stamped receipt for their luggage if it needs to be held in storage until their room is ready or they leave for the airport. Anything left longer than 24 hours? Charge 'em $10 per day to get it out of "storage". Then maybe luggage services will finally go back to its intended purpose.

I'm amazed that they ever did. Considering that they'll rent you a fridge to make more money, why would they waste their resources to to assist people in avoiding an upcharge?

Completely agree.

I started a thread a year or so ago asking how long others thought Disney would allow swaps to on. I'm surprised they ever did and would not be surprised if they are calling a halt.

Seems like there are more and more reports of "lost" swaps and really why would Disney allow it. To me it's taking advantage of luggage services.

I posted about being at ASMusic one day and watching a SWAP member come pick up her Swap. She drives up, gets the Bell Service guys to load it in her car and drives off....
Did you see what she forgot?

Yep, no tip!

I know it was a DIS swap due to the "decorated" box. (And please don't PM me, I won't tell on anyone LOL!)

However, if this happens often I bet Bell Services has complained. That thing didn't look easy to haul around...

I posted about being at ASMusic one day and watching a SWAP member come pick up her Swap. She drives up, gets the Bell Service guys to load it in her car and drives off....
Did you see what she forgot?

Yep, no tip!

I know it was a DIS swap due to the "decorated" box. (And please don't PM me, I won't tell on anyone LOL!)

However, if this happens often I bet Bell Services has complained. That thing didn't look easy to haul around...

Exactly!!!! I'm surprised that they've put up with these swaps as long as they have. When it was only one or two fridges I'm sure it wasn't too bad, but keeping up with so many has to be pain, especially when people forget to tip bell services.

Plus you know have stoller swaps and who knows what else. It's really out of control.

Disney is not set up to be a short term storage facility. There is limited room back there!

This a msg I got from one of my swappers back on 8/15 about LS and holding the fridge:

"The LS people were ticked. They said that they are enforcing a new rule of only holding a fridge for 2 days. They said if Kris doesn't pick it up early enough, they're "putting it in lost and found" aka "losing" it."

Earlier this year my luggage was delayed due to a short connection. The courier delivered it, but the resort could not find it. After several hours I went to the luggage room myself, and no wonder they could not find my very distinctive red suitcase - there was more 'other stuff' in there than luggage. I was quite ticked, but not at the bellstaff because I could understand how difficult it was for them to find, er, luggage, in the luggage storage area.

I have no issues with WDW resorts charging a storage fee for all the cases of water, fridges, strollers, etc. I have paid at CSR before when I had a work package delivered, and often pay at other resorts around the world.

I have never used this service. The one time we stayed in a hotel without a fridge we drove down and took our large cooler that keeps things fridge cold for up to 5 days.

I have always wondered how they kept this up with no benefit to themselves.

Dawn

I am actually suprised they don't charge for luggage/packages that "live" at the hotel. It's pretty much an industry standard that the hotel will hold luggage or packages for 1-3 days free of charge, but anything beyond that is a $2-$5+ dollar per day holding fee.

IMO if memebers want to do a swap they should be doing direct swap's. Meet up with the memeber before them get the fridge and so on and so forth. Disney should NEVER have been asked to hold fridges in the first place.

Plus you know have stoller swaps and who knows what else. It's really out of control.

What's really out of control is the price to rent a double at the parks. I never had a problem renting before they were $31 a day! :scared1:

I absolutely wouldn't mind paying a fee for the use of luggage services. I agree that it's strange that they don't charge anything.

I did a swap back in June. When I called luggage services to arrange to pick up the fridge, they offered to bring it to my room. When the attendant got to my room, I went to pick up the Fridge box and he said, "Oh no, let me get that for you". He then proceeded to take the box down, but also insisted on setting it up. I was very appreciative, so of course I tipped him!!! :worship: He then told me what a smart idea it was to do a swap and not to hesitate to call, when I needed the fridge picked up!!:thumbsup2

When I was at Pop last October I was part of a fridge swap. I had gotten a call and e-mail from the person before me and she assured me it was dropped off and was well-labeled. When I got there to pick ours up the storage room people could not find it; they looked and looked. They finally let me come back there to see if I could find it. No wonder they get lost - it was stacked on top of other boxes with the label turned to the back. There is no way it could have been identified without someone climbing up on top of the second shelf with a ladder. I relabeled it and returned it at the end of my stay and called and e-mailed the next person to let her know it was there and that she might have to go back and look for it. I think that was the end of the line for that swap. I never knew what happened after that.

To the PPs' who misunderstood my question- I was asking other swap leaders and swap members what they had heard or their experiences. I was not asking for your personal opinion on whether or not Disney should allow it, whether you liked it, or any other personal opinions. If you don't have any info on, or have heard anything about what Pop plans to do in the future-kindly refrain from posting. It isn't helpful or the information I am seeking. I am not trying to be rude, but a personal opinion is not what I am looking for and it off topic.

Thank you very much:)

The "Baby It's Cold In Here" fridge swap has info on it! Check out their thread, post 191 and beyond.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!