NEW GREAT SWAP/SMILEY DEBATE(former "Pop Will .... Fridges For Swap?" thread)

To the PP who misunderstood my question- I was asking other swap leaders what they had heard. I was not asking for your personal opinion on whether or not Disney should allow it ...

Unfortunetly when you post a PUBLIC message board you are going to get personal opinions. And I did NOT misunderstand your post and I stand by it. Swaps should not be part of Disney's responsibility.

To the PP who misunderstood my question- I was asking other swap leaders what they had heard. I was not asking for your personal opinion on whether or not Disney should allow it, whether you liked it, or any other personal opinions. If you don't have any info on, or have heard anything about what Pop plans to do in the future-kindly refrain from posting. It isn't helpful or the information I am seeking. I am not trying to be rude, but a personal opinion is not what I am looking for and it off topic.

Thank you very much:)

:confused3
Just PM them.

you posted on a public message board. You don't get to pick who responds or what they say.

I think that since Disney monitors these boards they might be interested in knowing that at least some of us won't riot if the swaps are discontinuned and will actually understand. (I can only imagine the outcry on here if this comes to pass..... )

And by this post you have managed to take your OP even MORE off topic!:lmao:

To the PP who misunderstood my question- I was asking other swap leaders what they had heard. I was not asking for your personal opinion on whether or not Disney should allow it, whether you liked it, or any other personal opinions. If you don't have any info on, or have heard anything about what Pop plans to do in the future-kindly refrain from posting. It isn't helpful or the information I am seeking. I am not trying to be rude, but a personal opinion is not what I am looking for and it off topic.

Thank you very much:)

I don't think anyone is being rude.

But I think what you're asking for is unrealistic. When has ANYONE been able to get a 'definitive' and 'definite' answer about anything at Disney? Folks get conflicting information constantly...they just call back and get another CM and get another answer, one that may be more to their liking. 6 Swap leaders could tell you "Yes, the CM I spoke to said the swaps are safe" and 6 others can say "Oh, the CM said that very soon they won't allow it anymore". You'll never get a good answer.

The flaw in the swap system you folks use is that its very success depends entirely TOO much on the assistance of Disney personnel. One swapper said in the referenced thread that she personally made sure Bell Services got the fridge. I'm sure she's telling the truth...but its also would seem that she didn't personally see it go into the storage area, so once it left her hands she can't really be sure where it went. That's not a knock on her...there was no reason for her to think that it wouldn't get to its intended destination. But sadly, stuff goes astray when we depend on other people to deliver things for us. Just ask anyone who has lost a package through the US Mail.

You want to guarantee a swap goes off without a hitch? Face-to-face meetings is the ONLY way. You have to keep the fridge out of the hands of people who have absolutely no vested interest in maintaining the swap. But its completely unrealistic to expect any type of 'word' or 'information' that can be relied upon from any CM at Disney regarding this. You'll get conflicting information every time.

I don't think anyone is being rude.

But I think what you're asking for is unrealistic. When has ANYONE been able to get a 'definitive' and 'definite' answer about anything at Disney? Folks get conflicting information constantly...they just call back and get another CM and get another answer, one that may be more to their liking. 6 Swap leaders could tell you "Yes, the CM I spoke to said the swaps are safe" and 6 others can say "Oh, the CM said that very soon they won't allow it anymore". You'll never get a good answer.

The flaw in the swap system you folks use is that its very success depends entirely TOO much on the assistance of Disney personnel. One swapper said in the referenced thread that she personally made sure Bell Services got the fridge. I'm sure she's telling the truth...but its also would seem that she didn't personally see it go into the storage area, so once it left her hands she can't really be sure where it went. That's not a knock on her...there was no reason for her to think that it wouldn't get to its intended destination. But sadly, stuff goes astray when we depend on other people to deliver things for us. Just ask anyone who has lost a package through the US Mail.

You want to guarantee a swap goes off without a hitch? Face-to-face meetings is the ONLY way. You have to keep the fridge out of the hands of people who have absolutely no vested interest in maintaining the swap. But its completely unrealistic to expect any type of 'word' or 'information' that can be relied upon from any CM at Disney regarding this. You'll get conflicting information every time.

I was saying that I am not trying to be rude-not the other way around.

And again-your opinion is not at all helpful or the information I am looking for. I am not going to be at Pop until 9/20. If another swap leader gets feedback from a member of their swap before then -it would be helpful to know. At any time Disney could post a notice in reference to the swaps and/or holding items- it would be good to know about it as soon as possible.

If you don't agree with the swaps -it is your choice not to join one. It is also up to each member of each swap as to how they treat the situation-I myself planned on getting it myself and if I am offered help in any way bringing it to my room-I would never think twice about tipping-I always tip.

And as I said, just be prepared for the fact that any information someone else gives you may not be accurate for you. Its akin to assuming that because its sunny and warm in Florida today it will definitely be sunny and warm a week from now.

We all know Disney CM's are notorious for providing conflicting information. Quite frankly, its not going to matter what anyone else says. Unless and until Disney provides a written policy somewhere that can be referenced, the information will change like the weather.

or people shouldn't be so stupid as to be blatent about their swaps by advertising it. i have never swapped, yet, but i also don't use luggage services to do anything other than to bring our luggage to our room on day one via magical express. i am sure to tip and be courteous.

i have, however used luggage services to hold a stroller for us during the day. it was actually their idea. they let us use a stroller left behind in someone's room. we would use it to bring the kiddos from the room down to the bus stop. we would then check the stroller in to luggage services and board the bus to the park. we would then rent strollers at the parks. when we returned at night, we would check out the stroller from luggage services to haul our sleepy little ones back to the room, keeping the stroller in our room overnight. this was luggage services idea and it worked very well. we did this last year and the year before.

this year we will be bringing our own double stroller and purchasing a fridge. we will be checking it into luggage services on our last day, to be picked up 3 days later by a fellow DIS'r that we are doing a split cost on. However, i will not be plastering anything on the fridge or stroller to indicate it is part of a swap. Rather, i will be doing my best to disguise the fridge as a gift, bow and all. the stroller will have a zippered handbag, stuffed iwht paper towels, securely tethered to the stroller. the stroller will also permanently bear the last name of the person we are splitting the cost with. I figure if the fridge is packaged to bear the shape of something else and wrapped up in Happy Birthday paper with a bow and name card on it, it probably will get treated a bit better than a fridge that is plastered with garb that screams out "swap". I also figure that if hte stroller has a handbag tethered to it in a way that is difficult to remove, it too might get better treatment. of course, a generous tip when checking it in might be the best insurance of all....time will tell

IMO if memebers want to do a swap they should be doing direct swap's. Meet up with the memeber before them get the fridge and so on and so forth. Disney should NEVER have been asked to hold fridges in the first place.

ITA, last time we went, we brought a cooler (if you don't drive down, then buy one at a Walmart or something). There's FREE ice at the hotel, and we just kept renewing it. It worked fine for the 10 days we were there.

I guess I would encourage Disney to stop the swaps, it sounds like the luggage storage rooms are already quite full with guests luggage. I can understand how the fridges would get lost if they are sitting in storage for longer than a few hours. Think about how much luggage goes in and out of those rooms everyday, I don't think the bellhops should have to worry about all the other items that are stored there. Also, as another poster pointed out, the resorts rent fridges to guests so why should bell services waste time on storing freebies so that guests do not have to pay for them.

I must be really tired because I have read this entire page twice looking for the "update on page 2" and I don't see an update. :confused3 All I see is the OP complaining because the thread is going off topic (so what?). Shame on some of the DISers for supporting Disney instead of the OP. lol. Is that the update? Maybe I just need to go to bed... :lmao:

I must be really tired because I have read this entire page twice looking for the "update on page 2" and I don't see an update. :confused3 All I see is the OP complaining because the thread is going off topic (so what?). Shame on some of the DISers for supporting Disney instead of the OP. lol. Is that the update? Maybe I just need to go to bed... :lmao:

You are absolutely correct-it is not an update-couldn't think of how to say I had posted the thread where I read the info. SO terribly sorry:worship:

AND AGAIN-I did not post an thread asking DISers their opinion or to or not defend Disney-but if there is an interest- I could start a new thread-just for you:thumbsup2 BUT as for this thread, it is simply to see what other swap leaders have heard and how they were planning to go handle it-that's all.

Perhaps sleep in needed to focus better and stay on topic:lmao:

Thank you again for your opinion:rolleyes1

:rotfl2:

thank you,

my thoughts too =

also - IF DISNEY WOULD PROVIDE FREE FRIDGES IN ALL ROOMS (like the cheaper Motel6) this would not be an issue!

and it wouldnt cost anything - just put the fridges in the rooms already! (I remember when the Deluxe and Moderate resorts did not have fridges, now they do - I'm all for fridge swaps letting disney know that people that stay in values deserve fridges!)

ITA, last time we went, we brought a cooler (if you don't drive down, then buy one at a Walmart or something). There's FREE ice at the hotel, and we just kept renewing it. It worked fine for the 10 days we were there.

Yeah we did that too on our last trip too. I just didn't trust it with things like milk and such. On the trip before that we rented and it would up being $80, so we decided to try something new:)

But thank you very much for the advice/help:goodvibes

Lisa

also - IF DISNEY WOULD PROVIDE FREE FRIDGES IN ALL ROOMS (like the cheaper Motel6) this would not be an issue!

yeah that. We ended up at a little roach motel in a hick town on the way home from Disney on our first trip. We were surprised to see that it had a fridge after we had been loading our cooler with ice several times a day at Disney.

Unfortunetly when you post a PUBLIC message board you are going to get personal opinions. And I did NOT misunderstand your post and I stand by it. Swaps should not be part of Disney's responsibility.

I get the public message board concept, but yet others don't get the idea of being OT. I am glad you feel so strongly you need to restate your opinion. Feel better?:thumbsup2

and it wouldnt cost anything - just put the fridges in the rooms already!

Well, it would cost something - who do you think is going to pay for about 9,000 fridges? (I am estimated about 8,000 rooms at the value resorts, plus some extras to have on hand as spares)

That intial outlay is quite expensive - at $100/fridge you are looking at $900,000 - and that is a conservative figure.

thank you,

my thoughts too =

and it wouldnt cost anything - just put the fridges in the rooms already! (I remember when the Deluxe and Moderate resorts did not have fridges, now they do - I'm all for fridge swaps letting disney know that people that stay in values deserve fridges!)

Well once again we have proof that Disney doesn't work like other hotels.

For example, if I stay at the bottom tier of the Marriott chain. (Fairfield for example) I often get a fridge and I ALWAYS get free internet. If I stay at a Marriott (full service) you practially never get a fridge UNLESS it used to be a mini bar (or still is?) and you ALWAYS pay for internet.

Disney does it backwards on the fridges. :rotfl: However, they originally used those fridges to make money. They didn't buy most of them as a "addition" to the room to be nice. They were mini bars at the deluxe hotels and CBR. I assume they just didn't make enough so they turned them into "free" fridges. That meant they had to add them to the other mods....

thank you,

my thoughts too =

With all the swaps that have had refridges come up missing...they might just be doing that...With dis'ers lost fridges :rotfl:

Seriously, I completely understand the OP question because these fine ladies have put alot of time organizing and maintaining these swaps. Not only do they have a monitary involvement but a mental one too. If Disney is going to put a halt to it, then they have to figure out different routes (person to person only swaps or figure out how to get the items back to the leaders or ......) And let's face it, if Disney is going to put an end to holding such items, they aren't going to notify anyone...it just going to be "POOOF" and all the refridges will be gone. LISADR is only thinking ahead trying to starve off what may be a future problem.

exactly parkers*momma. I don't get why people want to come in with negativity on a thread when someone is trying to find a solution to a problem. Yes, it is a public message board, but why come upset everyone if you don't even have anything to do with the issue?

With all the swaps that have had refridges come up missing...they might just be doing that...With dis'ers lost fridges :rotfl:

Seriously, I completely understand the OP question because these fine ladies have put alot of time organizing and maintaining these swaps. Not only do they have a monitary involvement but a mental one too. If Disney is going to put a halt to it, then they have to figure out different routes (person to person only swaps or figure out how to get the items back to the leaders or ......) And let's face it, if Disney is going to put an end to holding such items, they aren't going to notify anyone...it just going to be "POOOF" and all the refridges will be gone. LISADR is only thinking ahead trying to starve off what may be a future problem.

THANK YOU!THANK YOU! THANK YOU! For seeing the reason for this post. I never meant for it to become a debate about the validity of swaps-simply trying to regroup if needed, so that people who are depending on and have contributed to this don't get left out in the cold.

Thanks again:)

Well, it would cost something - who do you think is going to pay for about 9,000 fridges? (I am estimated about 8,000 rooms at the value resorts, plus some extras to have on hand as spares)

That intial outlay is quite expensive - at $100/fridge you are looking at $900,000 - and that is a conservative figure.

Seriously, I think disney could just add $1 service fee (think like the airlines ok?) to all the values for one year, and fridges paid for -

When disney wants to make money, they raise prices and they lower what they offer..

MNSSHP comes to mind... 10,000 people at $50

or taking off Filet Mignons from menus...

but giving Value resort guests a fridge for "free" --- goodwill

fwiw I too have packed a collapsable cooler and did the ice thing - at the Poly - and I too have had free internet at other resorts, and think Disney needs to get a clue and play catch up to those hotels - but, I'm just one lonely poster on a Saturday night relating to dh about the Budget boards...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter