New DVC Member - Perspective of a Direct Buyer

When we made our first direct purchase, we had the same feelings as the OP. Disney does an excellent job setting the stage and an excellent job selling timeshares. Buying is just the first step, over the years we learned about the negatives first hand, room issues, bad MS CM's, account issues, wrong information, management issues, and a hard time understanding why DVC does what they do. So buying is just the beginning.

Another thought that I take issue with is the contract expiration date and should that be an issue when buying? IMO most owners will decrease the number of Disney vacations and move on to something else in a few years. Yes some will hold on because we hoard and can't let go but many will sell, just look at the total number of resales each year.

Lastly how does one buy their favorite resort when they have not experienced staying at all of the resorts? We bought several resorts and while they are all great resorts in their own way, AKV and BLT are off our vacation list. My current thought is buy a resort, stay at all of the resorts and sell later to buy your favorite.

:earsboy: Bill

I truly believe that the reason to pay premium rates is to get a value that cannot be received otherwise. For most, that is home resort advantage at a new property, or buying a small contract since those are rare in resale right now.

The time savings of direct is 2-4 hours. If no vacation is planned for 14+ months, closing speed is meaningless, as it is empty time. It isn't:t like you are locked in a closet during those times.

As a longtime freelancer, if by having a wait that has no impact, and 2-4 hours of time I can save $5k or more, the math works. My billable rate is under $750/hour. Most people's is.

All points are the same at 7 months. If you are going to play 7 month scramble, retail is always the worst idea economically.

Look, I'm certainly not going to argue that resale isn't cheaper. Obviously it is. BUT... The comparisons aren't apples to apples.

I'm a numbers guy, I crunch everything. Two things that seem quickly glossed over when comparing the direct price to the resale price... contract end date and maintenance. Out of due diligence, I checked several resale sites. Of the non-monorail resorts, BWV appeals to me most, so I took a look there...

19,500 for 200 points. Sounds great compared to my 21,500 for 120 points right? Except the contract expires in 2042 and it's not loaded. I'd be paying $3.90 per point over the life of the contract and over $20k more in maintenance between now and 2042. By comparison, I'm paying $3.51 per point for my fully-loaded PVB contract which expires in 2066.

Meanwhile the SSR deal mentioned earlier is certainly a good one... Expiration is in 2052 which makes it $2.47 per point... Except I have no intention of staying at SSR on any of my trips. And given how important everyone says home resort is, it seems like that wouldn't make any sense for me.

I also looked at some PVB resales. I could get a 150-point non-loaded contract for 22,350. It's $3.02 per point which is certainly better than my rate. BUT... I'm probably paying about an extra $17k in maintenance over the life of the contract than with the 120-point contract. I'm not actually looking for 150 points right now, so just because I can get more points at around the same cost I'm paying doesn't mean I should, and as people often say here... getting discounts by spending more money than you planned to is not saving money. As for 120-125 points contracts... I could probably find one if I'm patient, but after discounts, bonuses, need to rent points for trip I'm planning next year, etc. I'm probably only saving $1,500 at best. Obviously to some that savings is a big deal -- and I'm not arguing that it shouldn't be a consideration -- but for me it's not worth the hassle.

Also, this seems easily overlooked, but I feel my sales guide earned her commission. She was fantastic, and with all my running around back and forth on closing day, she took extra time, even to sit with me and chat about stuff that had nothing to do with Disney while I waited for the van. It wasn't a sales push at that point... I'd already signed the papers. It was just being friendly. I'm not saying that in and of itself is worth $1,500 (obviously it's not), but it's one of MANY factors why I wouldn't just knee-jerk cancel my direct and buy resale. Mileage is going to vary for everyone individually, but I'd feel pretty lousy dumping the contract and buying direct just to save some money. Also, call me a sucker if you want, but if NO one buys direct, there's no DVC. They are, indeed, a business. If resales were enough to keep the business running, they wouldn't staff as many kiosks as they do at all the resorts and parks.

As you overlooked that the comparisons I posted were giving examples of what you could get for approx the same dollar amount resale before you shared what your travel plans were it's easy to provide the other comparison though which I didn't see you mention. 120-150 points at AKV, SSR, or OKW would be in the range of $11-$12K. A $9-10K savings. SSR expires in 2054 and AKV in 2057. And they all have more than studios as well as rooms with some of the lowest point requirements so it would be very easy to make the smaller number of points work every other year for 1 or sometimes even 2 BR's.

For monorail resorts BLT and VGF in the 120-150 point range would be $16-$19k range and give you home priority at a resort with larger villas and on the monorail and still cost less than PVB.

Now yes, we are "overlooking" your great experience and why? I'd expect nothing less from someone trying to get someone to commit to $21,000 on a discretionary purchase that immediately lost value the second the papers were signed. If for some reason you decided you were caught up in the pixie dust and a Disney trip isn't what you want every other year or some catastrophe that required selling at least you have something that is marketable but after day 11 that PVB would net you somewhere around the $16,000 range after commissions. $5k less than what you assigned a value of $21,000. Nobody goes in expecting to sell but there is a reason there is a cooling off period because the timeshare sales person is generally good at their job and playing upon the emotional side. I've actually had awesome experiences with a couple of the resale brokers - even sending me new videos they shot of the resort we were buying while waiting for ROFR. They had me committed to the sale already - that I consider a nice touch.

Last edited:
I think you should not buy DVC at all, neither resale or direct.
With DVC you get an inferior product compared to a CRO reservation. You have no daily housekeeping, less flexibility, you have to deal with availability and all the rules for banking and borrowing. No last minute cancellation. Ageing resorts and rooms... and I could go on and on.
DVC is a compromise: a deluxe-ish accommodation for quite a bit less mo9ney.
You say money are not an issue and you don't care about spending 10k more to avoid the hassle of resale. Then don't buy and book with CRO direct. 24k will allow you to book quite a bit of vacations anyway.

I understand one can have a busy life and is happy to pay more just to remove other sources of stress. Sounds resonable. But then you want to buy DVC? You will have to deal for 50 years with the many rules, the stress of booking at 7 months, the DVC website (as a web developer you will feel the pain), CM that sometimes are not well trained, maintenance in the rooms less than perfect...

If you don't need to save money, your life will be less stressful without DCV.
If you want to save money, than in your situation I would buy BLT resale. Second best value when used to book at 7 months, it's on the lagoon, on the monoral and walking distance to the MK.

Last edited:

Anyone researching on forums like this and others will be overwhelmed with the opinion that they should buy resale and then a tiny add on if you have any need for direct benefits, so I was thinking about a 100 AKV contract and then perhaps a 50 point direct add on somewhere else. Going to the parks in person, going through the sales pitch, and spending a little time walking around the Polynesian changed everything for me.

Why? As a resale owner I can stay in the exact same rooms at the Poly that you can. Resale Poly owners have the same exact booking privileges as you do.

Now yes, we are "overlooking" your great experience and why? I'd expect nothing less from someone trying to get someone to commit to $21,000 on a discretionary purchase that immediately lost value the second the papers were signed. If for some reason you decided you were caught up in the pixie dust and a Disney trip isn't what you want every other year or some catastrophe that required selling at least you have something that is marketable but after day 11 that PVB would net you somewhere around the $16,000 range after commissions. $5k less than what you assigned a value of $21,000. Nobody goes in expecting to sell but there is a reason there is a cooling off period because the timeshare sales person is generally good at their job and playing upon the emotional side. I've actually had awesome experiences with a couple of the resale brokers - even sending me new videos they shot of the resort we were buying while waiting for ROFR. They had me committed to the sale already - that I consider above and beyond.

This is a great point. To take it one step further, I am not so much concerned that the OP will have second thoughts as I am his wife will. In his initial post the OP talked about how opposed she was to purchasing when he first brought it up. It seems like she was the one who was convinced by the intensity and complexity of the presentation. When she gets home and that immersive thrill has worn off, I'm wondering if she is the one who will have regret.

As a programmer, uncertainty is the enemy of progress, and I expect that you looked at this as buying what you wanted and paying a premium not to have it be a PITA to solve this "problem". It's a time vs. money valuation. Now people may tell you it is super easy and doesn't take any time to buy resale, but you'd likely spend days analyzing which contracts are the ones you'd be targeting only to find them gone or not willing to come down from what seem like inflated numbers right now... or worse yet stripped of points for the next 2 years and then you can't even go on the vacation you're dreaming of. So I can see why you'd want to buy direct first and then take a look at resale add ons when and if you find that more points are needed.

A THOUSAND times this, stated far more eloquently and accurately than I could have come up with. I don't expect anyone who doesn't think like we do to really get it or understand it, but this is exactly it.

I also think that PVB studios are going to get much harder to book as time goes on and if you want the option of adjoining studios when your kids are older teenagers or if you want to go without the kids later in life that is a great option. CCV being in the main building is cool, but 1BR at BRV should be doable at the 7 month mark a lot of the time if that would be acceptable to you using your points.

This is also on the money. I mentioned in my first post that my wife and I found the option of 1-bedroom and 2-bedroom villas very appealing... what I clearly didn't convey was that in further analyzing the situation I determined that location and the larger studio were of more value to me. A lot of people have latched onto the 1-Bedroom / 2-Bedroom thing, and I appreciate the concern, but it's misguided. I'm not settling for Poly... it's my first choice.

I anticipate using studios more often than the villas, but as others have said and research has borne out, the 1-bedrooms at other locations tend to be available at the 7-month mark on the dates we're generally looking at going. So from time to time we'd look at those options and try different things, but more often than not I'd expect to stay at the Poly.

Lastly, on the cynicism of DVD as a business and the motives of the sales guides... it doesn't really matter to me. This was not a pixie-dust-induced high from a great vacation... I went into the tour already planning to buy, knowing exactly what I wanted and how much it would cost. Nothing they said or did changed that. But they certainly did make me feel welcome.

It is of course impossible to respond to reasons and info that change continually. It may be processing as you go, which means you are still learning about Disney and DVC, or it may be justification as you have mentioned is somewhat going on.

No matter, I do sincerely hope that the years going forward show that PVB and DVC do turn out to be the right purchase for you.

A THOUSAND times this, stated far more eloquently and accurately than I could have come up with. I don't expect anyone who doesn't think like we do to really get it or understand it, but this is exactly it.

This is also on the money. I mentioned in my first post that my wife and I found the option of 1-bedroom and 2-bedroom villas very appealing... what I clearly didn't convey was that in further analyzing the situation I determined that location and the larger studio were of more value to me. A lot of people have latched onto the 1-Bedroom / 2-Bedroom thing, and I appreciate the concern, but it's misguided. I'm not settling for Poly... it's my first choice.

I anticipate using studios more often than the villas, but as others have said and research has borne out, the 1-bedrooms at other locations tend to be available at the 7-month mark on the dates we're generally looking at going. So from time to time we'd look at those options and try different things, but more often than not I'd expect to stay at the Poly.

Lastly, on the cynicism of DVD as a business and the motives of the sales guides... it doesn't really matter to me. This was not a pixie-dust-induced high from a great vacation... I went into the tour already planning to buy, knowing exactly what I wanted and how much it would cost. Nothing they said or did changed that. But they certainly did make me feel welcome.
If you love the Poly and want to stay there then it seems like a good decision. It is one of the most popular deluxe resorts and commands a very high price per night when booked directly through CRO. I personally think it will become harder to book at the 7 month window once it sells out so home resort priority is an advantage. However, if you find yourself using those Poly points to book a 1 br elsewhere at 7 months on a regular basis do yourself a favor and look into adding on via resale.

It's a time vs. money valuation. Now people may tell you it is super easy and doesn't take any time to buy resale, but you'd likely spend days analyzing which contracts are the ones you'd be targeting only to find them gone or not willing to come down from what seem like inflated numbers right now... or worse yet stripped of points for the next 2 years and then you can't even go on the vacation you're dreaming of.

I've seen this "paying for convenience" rationale many times over the years and most of the times it is used as a cover for the true reasons one purchases direct. To me this example above is cherry picking the very worst case possible scenarios of the resale process and using them to paint the entire resale experience with that brush. It's also a little inaccurate as you cannot strip two future years worth of points out of a contract. Regardless, It's an unfair comparison to say that one would be overly analytical with resale but not so with a direct purchase. If one so chose, they could contact any one of the resale brokers, make an uninformed full price offer on any contract listed on their website, and be an owner in about 60 days. The OP in this case took a tour and made several visits to the DVC sales center, taking time away from his family and his vacation. The last resale contract I bought took a grand total of about 15 minutes without ever leaving my desk and it came with three years worth of points, something that is impossible to get with a direct purchase. To me, resale wins on both time and money. So what's the real reason?

If you'll notice, at no point in time did I try to refute or challenge the OP's rationale for purchasing direct. I simply spoke about the process and how it could work better for him.

Why? As a resale owner I can stay in the exact same rooms at the Poly that you can. Resale Poly owners have the same exact booking privileges as you do.
Read on. I was looking at 150 total with the majority resale, but decided I wanted a good chunk of points to plan my next vacation right away. Ended up with 220 direct and trying to add others via resale. Resale contracts are priced too high for me to want one as my initial contract, but I understand why others would find them attractive

I've seen this "paying for convenience" rationale many times over the years and most of the times it is used as a cover for the true reasons one purchases direct. To me this example above is cherry picking the very worst case possible scenarios of the resale process and using them to paint the entire resale experience with that brush. It's also a little inaccurate as you cannot strip two future years worth of points out of a contract. Regardless, It's an unfair comparison to say that one would be overly analytical with resale but not so with a direct purchase. If one so chose, they could contact any one of the resale brokers, make an uninformed full price offer on any contract listed on their website, and be an owner in about 60 days. The OP in this case took a tour and made several visits to the DVC sales center, taking time away from his family and his vacation. The last resale contract I bought took a grand total of about 15 minutes without ever leaving my desk and it came with three years worth of points, something that is impossible to get with a direct purchase. To me, resale wins on both time and money. So what's the real reason?

If you'll notice, at no point in time did I try to refute or challenge the OP's rationale for purchasing direct. I simply spoke about the process and how it could work better for him.

What I am saying is that I think I understand how the op is reasoning through this, and while many are telling him that he should reverse course or questioning the process, I went through this decision having more pre planning time before taking the tour, time after the tour to really go through the best options, and now months after this decision to see if I have any regrets.... and I don't.

You are saying that I cherry pick a particular scenario, but IMO the information I'm giving to the OP is relevant to his analysis and stated viewpoint. You don't think the same way that I do and that's fine. He can listen to everybody's thoughts and see if there is a compelling narrative to change his reasoning.

I will agree that it's their job to make you feel special and well taken care of. If receiving any less than that you should run screaming from a purchase that expensive

You are saying that I cherry pick a particular scenario, but IMO the information I'm giving to the OP is relevant to his analysis and stated viewpoint. You don't think the same way that I do and that's fine. He can listen to everybody's thoughts and see if there is a compelling narrative to change his reasoning.

This doesn't have to do with varying viewpoints or perspectives. I think your characterization of the resale process was unfair, highlighting only overpriced contracts, stripped contracts, and unreasonable sellers. Sure that exists, but if you want to offer a fair criticism of the resale market, you should describe those as frustrating things that *could* happen, and not suggest that they are the norm as you did.

I bought direct years ago and I have not had one single solitary regret!

I love the perks, whether they stay or not. I have enjoyed them countless times over and when I tally up all the discounts I have taken advantage of over the years for our large family they definitely do add up.

We had an absolutely fabulous time at the anniversary DVC celebration in Animal Kingdom this year and we brought my brother with us and it was one of his favorite nights of the trip.

When I bought into DVC, it was also around the same time I became a DIS boards member or secretly started using it for advice and I have to say that over the years I have come to learn that there are many wonderful experts on here but certainly more curmudgeoney (for lack of a better word) ones that I can't even imagine enjoying a Disney vacation. This blog has become more of a place to complain than of a place to find comradery. It's kind of sad because no matter what, when I get on my Disney vacation or any vacation, I find it pretty difficult to be anything but happy and no matter what has happened to me on my trips Disney always made it right.

You are going to love your vacations and if I were you, I would delete this post from your memory and just enjoy planning your next vacation. I loved those extra points (which are technically not extras) but nonetheless enabled me to start planning my next trip right away so instead of reading this any further, get planning!

I bought direct years ago and I have not had one single solitary regret!

I love the perks, whether they stay or not. I have enjoyed them countless times over and when I tally up all the discounts I have taken advantage of over the years for our large family they definitely do add up.

We had an absolutely fabulous time at the anniversary DVC celebration in Animal Kingdom this year and we brought my brother with us and it was one of his favorite nights of the trip.

When I bought into DVC, it was also around the same time I became a DIS boards member or secretly started using it for advice and I have to say that over the years I have come to learn that there are many wonderful experts on here but certainly more curmudgeoney (for lack of a better word) ones that I can't even imagine enjoying a Disney vacation. This blog has become more of a place to complain than of a place to find comradery. It's kind of sad because no matter what, when I get on my Disney vacation or any vacation, I find it pretty difficult to be anything but happy and no matter what has happened to me on my trips Disney always made it right.

You are going to love your vacations and if I were you, I would delete this post from your memory and just enjoy planning your next vacation. I loved those extra points (which are technically not extras) but nonetheless enabled me to start planning my next trip right away so instead of reading this any further, get planning!

Oh, one more thing, since buying direct I have stayed at each of my home resorts once (BCV I added on more points direct later), AKV my first trip as a DVC member and loved it, BCV - my second trip and loved it, GFV and the Contemporary. I have almost always had a myriad of options open at my 7 month window and was seldom ever disappointed, but I do enjoy having the Epcot resorts as home resorts only because I love Food & Wine and it is difficult to get those at 7 months out.

I cannot wrap my head around choosing to spend an extra $10,000 just because it could take a month to close.

I mean. I just don't get it. That completely boggles my mind. Heck, I wouldn't spend $100 more for the same product, even if I had to wait a month for it to ship to me. There's always something better for that $100 to go to. And IT IS THE SAME PRODUCT.

I am not trying to judge or anything, I just cannot fathom this decision, despite all the justifications made.

I am a resale buyer, and first off I want to say there is absolutely nothing wrong with buying direct. You get the newest resorts and the longest contract, and if you decide you can AFFORD it (which you have) then I say more power to you. People have to keep buying into DVC for them to keep building.

And personally, even though you may want to stay in 1-bedrooms in the future, I believe you did the right thing buying the Poly. I believe DVC has made a mistake with CCV, and they have built way too few studios & 1-bedrooms for the relative points they are trying to sell. I think it will be very easy to get squeezed out of studios there even booking 11 months in advance. The Poly will never ever have that problem. Owners there will for the most part be able to book for many dates right up to the 7-month window. And yes, you travel dates (late-January and May) are fairly easy to book at 7-months.

The one thing I would disagree with is your point to "easier" for DVC direct. I suppose this is true, but we bought our first contract in 2014 and I would say the process probably took about 5 hours of my time all told. Yes it took about 2.5 months from the point of offer to getting the contract, but really the effort wasn't very high at all. I am in the process of getting a second contract, and I've literally spent about 1.5 hours on it so far, and all we have left to do is sign the final piece. And I've heard the used car vs new car analogy, but it's not really fully true. I always buy new cars. A DVC unit is identical bought direct or timeshare, a used or new car is not giving you the same thing.

The main reason to buy resale though is to have to ability to buy more points. As others pointed out, 120 points sounds like plenty, but there's a better than 50/50 chance you are going to rapidly discover that 120 points a year isn't enough. (We bought 160 at AKV for $74 a point in 2014 and within a year knew we didn't have enough points.) My one piece of advice though - even if you stick with you direct buy, if/when you decide you need more points, seriously consider the resale buy. Having a direct contract already, the loss of resale benefits won't harm you at all. You can buy at your preferred resort, and quite honestly the "hassle" is non-existent.

Good luck with your decision.

I am a resale buyer, and first off I want to say there is absolutely nothing wrong with buying direct. You get the newest resorts and the longest contract, and if you decide you can AFFORD it (which you have) then I say more power to you. People have to keep buying into DVC for them to keep building.

And personally, even though you may want to stay in 1-bedrooms in the future, I believe you did the right thing buying the Poly. I believe DVC has made a mistake with CCV, and they have built way too few studios & 1-bedrooms for the relative points they are trying to sell. I think it will be very easy to get squeezed out of studios there even booking 11 months in advance. The Poly will never ever have that problem. Owners there will for the most part be able to book for many dates right up to the 7-month window. And yes, you travel dates (late-January and May) are fairly easy to book at 7-months.

The one thing I would disagree with is your point to "easier" for DVC direct. I suppose this is true, but we bought our first contract in 2014 and I would say the process probably took about 5 hours of my time all told. Yes it took about 2.5 months from the point of offer to getting the contract, but really the effort wasn't very high at all. I am in the process of getting a second contract, and I've literally spent about 1.5 hours on it so far, and all we have left to do is sign the final piece. And I've heard the used car vs new car analogy, but it's not really fully true. I always buy new cars. A DVC unit is identical bought direct or timeshare, a used or new car is not giving you the same thing.

The main reason to buy resale though is to have to ability to buy more points. As others pointed out, 120 points sounds like plenty, but there's a better than 50/50 chance you are going to rapidly discover that 120 points a year isn't enough. (We bought 160 at AKV for $74 a point in 2014 and within a year knew we didn't have enough points.) My one piece of advice though - even if you stick with you direct buy, if/when you decide you need more points, seriously consider the resale buy. Having a direct contract already, the loss of resale benefits won't harm you at all. You can buy at your preferred resort, and quite honestly the "hassle" is non-existent.

Good luck with your decision.
I've done both. Our first purchase was over the phone--200 points AKV. Sight unseen and a relative noob. We knew we wanted to buy, I had no knowledge that resale even existed. No regrets on that first purchase. We had a Canadian dollar at par, and great incentives. As the pp said, we soon found out we wanted more points. Added on again--direct again. Then we learned about resale. We have 860 points now--560 are resale. I enjoyed hunting down those contracts and getting great deals but there was some merit to getting my feet wet with a direct purchase. And for all the "curmudgeonly" people here, there are still those like myself, who still love it and have no regrets. I've always found service to be great. If ever there has been a problem, Disney has made it right. I love AKV even though I bought sight unseen. And I've always had good luck booking when I want a trip--even at two weeks out. All that matters about any purchase ultimately, is that you are happy.

OP, based on your comments the Poly is the resort for your family and you have given your reasons why you are buying direct. What if the Poly was not available direct?

Welcome Home

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter