NBA at Walt Disney World

Bill Simmons mentioned in his latest podcast. That Bob Iger has talked the NBA owners on what it would take for them to start playing again. They evidently wanted his input because of all the research they have done as company in regards to opening the parks.

Bill Simmons mentioned in his latest podcast. That Bob Iger has talked the NBA owners on what it would take for them to start playing again. They evidently wanted his input because of all the research they have done as company in regards to opening the parks.
Iger and the NBA have been in several talks.

I can almost surely tell you guys this is a non-starter despite what some TV people might say.

The GS Warriors make almost $4 million in PROFIT EACH home game just from ticket, food, and merchandise sales. (And almost $12 million per playoff game, though they don’t have to worry about that for this season). The most in the NBA.
This is how salaries are partly paid for. Now, unless someone else was going to provide that same money with the same level of risk, I highly doubt the GSW ownership is willing to play elsewhere.

I can almost surely tell you guys this is a non-starter despite what some TV people might say.

The GS Warriors make almost $4 million in PROFIT EACH home game just from ticket, food, and merchandise sales. (And almost $12 million per playoff game, though they don’t have to worry about that for this season). The most in the NBA.
This is how salaries are partly paid for. Now, unless someone else was going to provide that same money with the same level of risk, I highly doubt the GSW ownership is willing to play elsewhere.

Even if the option is play elsewhere or don't play at all? Play elserwhere and they can at least get some TV money instead of gtting nothing,

Even if the option is play elsewhere or don't play at all? Play elserwhere and they can at least get some TV money instead of gtting nothing,

Just reading online, there is no conclusion on how the league, the broadcasters, and the cable companies will handle the revenue loss. Some possibilities are extending the season, adding games in following seasons, and/or more advertising spots throughout the league.
But, for now, the TV broadcasting payments to teams are still being made per the contract.

That $4 Million dollars per game is lost money, because there's no way GS or any NBA team will play the rest of the season in front of an arena full of people.
The owners can probably still turn a profit off of just the TV money, plus it's great exposure for the league (especially if there's no NHL or MLB).
There are 30 teams in the NBA. If 16 team owners vote to play, GS ownership will have no choice but to play.

That $4 Million dollars per game is lost money, because there's no way GS or any NBA team will play the rest of the season in front of an arena full of people.
The owners can probably still turn a profit off of just the TV money, plus it's great exposure for the league (especially if there's no NHL or MLB).
There are 30 teams in the NBA. If 16 team owners vote to play, GS ownership will have no choice but to play.

That’s lost profit. Not exactly the same as going in the red.
And like I said, the TV revenue is still being paid until a revised contract goes into place. So, they’re not losing any TV revenue for now.
If the owners don’t want to play in front of empty stations AS YOU SAY, then more likely that the season will be cancelled or delayed IMO.

And you’re mistaken that it just takes a simple majority for any new procedure to take place. A lot of changes in the NBA requires a unanimous vote. If you don’t believe me, just take the time to read up on it.

If you really don’t like to read, did you at least hear the news that the Atlanta Hawks deciding not to minimally open their facility is now delaying the rest of the league?

That’s lost profit. Not exactly the same as going in the red.
And like I said, the TV revenue is still being paid until a revised contract goes into place. So, they’re not losing any TV revenue for now.
If the owners don’t want to play in front of empty stations AS YOU SAY, then more likely that the season will be cancelled or delayed IMO.

And you’re mistaken that it just takes a simple majority for any new procedure to take place. A lot of changes in the NBA requires a unanimous vote. If you don’t believe me, just take the time to read up on it.

If you really don’t like to read, did you at least hear the news that the Atlanta Hawks deciding not to minimally open their facility is now delaying the rest of the league?
It's money that's lost because there's no way to recoup it.
I didn't say the owners want to play in front of empty stadiums; but the reality is they aren't going to be filling up their arenas any time soon.

It's money that's lost because there's no way to recoup it.
I didn't say the owners want to play in front of empty stadiums; but the reality is they aren't going to be filling up their arenas any time soon.

True, they won’t be filling arenas any time soon. But, that’s the same for EVERY entertainment venue. Everyone will just have to compromise and accept the new normal faster so that they can get ahead that much sooner on the other side.

The losses will probably be spread out. Players will earn less, team owners will make less, broadcasters will make less, companies advertising will make less, cable companies will make less, team staff will make less, and the list goes on. This is regardless of what the government says it’s okay to do.

Businesses complaining about what they can or cannot do, and what they deserve, will be the only ones left behind. Adapting is the best and only strategy.

So which is it? The above or the below...

Give up home game revenue vs giving up all revenue (tv rights fees)

If all teams are at a remote location playing games they retain tv rights fees among other adverting potential.

Don't play a game, the networks has nothing to broadcast. Thus a reduced incentive to continue to pay rights fees.

If they decided to play at another location, that would be adapting.

Per you...
"The losses will probably be spread out. Players will earn less, team owners will make less, broadcasters will make less, companies advertising will make less, cable companies will make less, team staff will make less, and the list goes on. This is regardless of what the government says it’s okay to do.

Businesses complaining about what they can or cannot do, and what they deserve, will be the only ones left behind. Adapting is the best and only strategy. "

So which is it? The above or the below...

Give up home game revenue vs giving up all revenue (tv rights fees)

If all teams are at a remote location playing games they retain tv rights fees among other adverting potential.

Don't play a game, the networks has nothing to broadcast. Thus a reduced incentive to continue to pay rights fees.

If they decided to play at another location, that would be adapting.

Per you...
"The losses will probably be spread out. Players will earn less, team owners will make less, broadcasters will make less, companies advertising will make less, cable companies will make less, team staff will make less, and the list goes on. This is regardless of what the government says it’s okay to do.

Businesses complaining about what they can or cannot do, and what they deserve, will be the only ones left behind. Adapting is the best and only strategy. "

I don’t see what I’ve wrote is mostly mistaken.
As I said, again and again, those TV revenues are still being paid right now regardless of whether games are played. Do the advertisers and cable companies have less incentive to pay the networks? Do the networks have less incentive to pay the NBA? Sure, but does not mean they can do anything about it right now.

Now, how it will be restructured moving forward to adapt to the changing environment is yet to be seen. But, as I wrote, it will be a compromise by everyone when that happens.

Granted I, nor anyone here, have not seen the contract languages between all the parties involved in the value chain.....everyone should know that contracts cannot be unilaterally broken. The payments will continue until a new revision or exception is put in place, agreed upon by all sides.

Last edited:

Im 99.9% certain the NBA and the players union already have an agreement in place on compensation if no games are played the rest of the year. So players salaries really aren't an issue here.

One situation I see as a possibility are one half of the league playing in Las Vegas, which is shut down but hosts the NBA Summer League annually, and the other half playing at WDW Wide World. Perhaps playoff series' are played at one site with the 16 teams that will have qualified in order to determine some sort of champion for the year, and the other 14 teams play some sort of shortened schedule or tournament at the other site. That would allow more room for players and teams to quarantine players and staffs, if needed.

But a possible June opening at WDW makes this situation kinda hard. The NBA playoffs are a 6+ week affair.

I don’t see what I’ve wrote is mostly mistaken.
As I said, again and again, those TV revenues are still being paid right now regardless of whether games are played. Do the advertisers and cable companies have less incentive to pay the networks? Do the networks have less incentive to pay the NBA? Sure, but does not mean they can do anything about it right now.

Now, how it will be restructured moving forward to adapt to the changing environment is yet to be seen. But, as I wrote, it will be a compromise by everyone when that happens.

Granted I, nor anyone here, have not seen the contract languages between all the parties involved in the value chain.....everyone should know that contracts cannot be unilaterally broken. The payments will continue until a new revision or exception is put in place, agreed upon by all sides.
They need to get to 70 games to get all the tv money from the RSNs. I think everyone is currently between 63 to 67 games played.
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...At-Least-70-Games-To-Deliver-On-RSN-Contracts

Im 99.9% certain the NBA and the players union already have an agreement in place on compensation if no games are played the rest of the year. So players salaries really aren't an issue here.

One situation I see as a possibility are one half of the league playing in Las Vegas, which is shut down but hosts the NBA Summer League annually, and the other half playing at WDW Wide World. Perhaps playoff series' are played at one site with the 16 teams that will have qualified in order to determine some sort of champion for the year, and the other 14 teams play some sort of shortened schedule or tournament at the other site. That would allow more room for players and teams to quarantine players and staffs, if needed.

But a possible June opening at WDW makes this situation kinda hard. The NBA playoffs are a 6+ week affair.
16 teams become 8 in not much more then a week. Getting enough hotel rooms in WDW, or offsite, should be easy. There a number of hotels which cater to conventions. AFAIK there aren't any conventions scheduled in the next few months. OK a poster can google and might find a couple. I suspect hotels like Gaylord (whatever it's called now) and the Marriott World Hotel would have no problem finding rooms. I suspect Disney would have no trouble finding rooms.

I just got done listening to this (well, most of it, I haven't been listening to the "Rewatcha-Bulls" segments since I don't remember specific games from back then) and found that very interesting. Russillo seemed to think that WDW wouldn't be open and that would be a factor, but as others have noted, that's not likely to be the case. I also have to think that the ABC/ESPN angle would be another factor to involve Iger in some of these discussions, although that's probably normally below his pay grade some. Although ABC Sports/ESPN execs are not involved in any of the theme park reopening/logistics discussions and vice versa, so it still makes sense.

They are not going to be playing in front of fans anytime soon, as others have said. In fact, there is apparently belief that they will open NEXT season without fans in the arenas as well, especially if they start the season in October.

The playoffs are when the league really makes a lot of money - money that goes to all of the teams.
There's also some talk that the bottom, already eliminated teams, might not play any more games since there could be pushback to bringing them in to play meaningless games. Although that would go against the notion that they would all come back to hit the 70 game mark so owners don't have to write checks to the regional sports networks.

True, they won’t be filling arenas any time soon. But, that’s the same for EVERY entertainment venue. Everyone will just have to compromise and accept the new normal faster so that they can get ahead that much sooner on the other side.

The losses will probably be spread out. Players will earn less, team owners will make less, broadcasters will make less, companies advertising will make less, cable companies will make less, team staff will make less, and the list goes on. This is regardless of what the government says it’s okay to do.

Businesses complaining about what they can or cannot do, and what they deserve, will be the only ones left behind. Adapting is the best and only strategy.
The players will already start having their pay cut by 25% starting in May. May 1 will be their last regular pay check.

There are certainly going to have to be warm-up games as well (see below).

They need to get to 70 games to get all the tv money from the RSNs. I think everyone is currently between 63 to 67 games played.
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...At-Least-70-Games-To-Deliver-On-RSN-Contracts
I think this is really important. The owners are certainly going to want to avoid having to pay money back to the regional networks. The regional networks are also much less likely to be able to absorb the hit of no games that ABC/ESPN/TNT can. Also, those regional networks don't televise playoff games like the big networks do, so it's not like they gain a benefit of the league returning for the playoffs (playoffs are the important part for ESPN/TNT anyway).

Plus, the players are likely to make it clear, and it's pretty obvious, that they would not be ready to start the playoffs right away. They're going to need to have warm-up games to get back into the flow of things and get back into shape. This is not like the beginning of preseason in which they have been working out all summer, etc., and just need to get into real game shape. A lot of these guys have not been able to do any kind of real working out or exercising (a lot have apartments, live in cities, etc.), and they're not in gyms (exercise or basketball). There are reports of a lot of players not having taken a shot or even bounced a ball since games were stopped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter