Nassau port of call question - no excursions booked...

I would find an excursion and book it. We had a 4 night, did get off and walk around just a bit, it was hot, kids were cranky, we didn't know where we were going, so we didn't stay long. We did get bored on the ship (too much sitting around). If I had to do it over I would definitely find something to book there.

Where are you from? DH and I both are frequently in Baltimore, MD, and we felt fine in Nassau. I wonder if some of the people who are especially nervous to be out and about in Nassau don't spend very much time in big cities.

Yes, there are people trying to sell you things. Just say "no thanks" and keep on walking, or just ignore them and keep on walking! We decided to take a taxi over to Atlantis and get passes to see the aquariums (interesting, but we'll probably skip it next time), and then we went back to the shopping area, which is right at the cruise ship dock, and explored some shops. The pirate museum was really fun, and we also went to the Pompey Museum of Slavery and Emancipation, which was very informative and nicely done. We walked through the Straw Market, but we're not really interested in knick-knacks, so that was mostly just to see what the Straw Market is all about. If you're uncomfortable with people trying to sell you stuff, skip that. My sister recommended the Main Street Ice Cream Parlor, which is near the other two museums I mentioned, but we weren't in the mood for ice cream while we were there. Of note, I paid for the $10 international day pass with AT&T, but struggled to get service in the shopping district, so you may want to have to destinations mapped out ahead of time.

Like most urban areas, keep an eye out and be aware of your environment, and you should be just fine.

Where are you from? DH and I both are frequently in Baltimore, MD, and we felt fine in Nassau. I wonder if some of the people who are especially nervous to be out and about in Nassau don't spend very much time in big cities.

(...)

Like most urban areas, keep an eye out and be aware of your environment, and you should be just fine.

Side note: Depends which city you live in. I live in Montreal (Canada), which is a big city... but is extremely safe compared to most big cities in the USA.

Please tell me more about the pirate museum. I will have a 4 and 6 year old at time of saiking.

Please tell me more about the pirate museum. I will have a 4 and 6 year old at time of saiking.

When you first walk into the museum, it's like you're walking into an old time pirate town, and the you get to walk through the "ship." There are exhibits throughout, although the back half of the museum is more like a traditional museum. There are also fun little trivia questions throughout. Some of it could be a bit scary, though, if your kids are easily spooked by dark environments, as there are several rooms that are quite dark.

When you first walk into the museum, it's like you're walking into an old time pirate town, and the you get to walk through the "ship." There are exhibits throughout, although the back half of the museum is more like a traditional museum. There are also fun little trivia questions throughout. Some of it could be a bit scary, though, if your kids are easily spooked by dark environments, as there are several rooms that are quite dark.
They don't get spooked. Sounds like fun for kids. How long is tour and is it booked thru cruise? If not thru cruise, I think I saw it's walking distance?

They don't get spooked. Sounds like fun for kids. How long is tour and is it booked thru cruise? If not thru cruise, I think I saw it's walking distance?

Yes, definitely walking distance! I would say it might take an hour or two, but it's self-guided, so the pace is all up to you. Tickets for adults are $13 and kids are $6.50, and you can just buy them there. They have a website, too, if you google Pirates of Nassau.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter