My experience & recommendations as a Non wheelchair using physically disabled guest

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
this was the first time I've been to WDW since they stopped supporting disabled with anything other than ''we have wheelchairs' or whatever it is they call them. I won't go into detail but my son 18 & daughter 17 did not react positively to the cast member telling me to get a wheelchair.

Getting on with it: So in the past we used to go and spend 10 days min at WDW with daily parks but due to concerns over changes I read about here I went with 2 days front end, a cruise in the middle and hoping for 2 days at back end with a day by day sort of vibe so I didn't push it. We also went this past week, off season, to limit the demands on me plus discomfort of heat.

Overall I'd say the strategy was a success. Thumbs up for cooler weather during a time of year with low chance of rain increasing aches. I would say that a whirlwind extravaganza is no longer possible due to their new policies for non wheelchair bound physically handicapped persons but in small doses it's still doable although hoppers are not reasonable any more- unless you are not prone to an accumulation of pain. If you move slowly but things don't hurt it might not matter but that's not me. The Uggs were awesome, lower crowds meant I could walk slower and not miss out. Also, the break in the middle allowed me to heal in between spurts.

Day 1 was travel, we arrived and I rested- enjoying the treehouse villa :). It's kind of isolated and off the beaten path so I was really happy we had a rental car to help manage time on my feet, need to reserve the strain for family time.

Day 2 we did Epcot, our party of 6 logged 15,197 steps through the day. I wore my ugg boots which helped a lot, thank goodness it was cool out.

Day 3 we did Animal Kingdom , also logged nearly 12000 steps. By the end of the day I was limping pretty badly so I was glad I wasn't doing another park for a while. Wore Uggs again which really helped keep my feet warm and prevented friction on my Achilles' tendon.

Day 4 we drove our rental car to the cruise, they had good handicapped parking at the front of terminal parking so that was a help at about $60 for the 3 night cruise. We unloaded with a porter then made our way. We were a DVC party so the wait was short- there were seats to the side with a Disney employee so I think/suspect a person in pain could wait then rejoin party at the desk for the photo op;)

The boat, It was lovely to be in a space that didn't require too much walking/standing. Good option for those who want the Disney experience but physically can't do the walking and don't want a wheelchair. Seems a better fit for us now.

Day 5, we went to the Bahamas. Didn't go too far into town. In truth I wanted to stay on the boat and rest but the other couple we were with wanted to venture out so we did. Walked a bit down the main strip, then dipped into Senor Frogs where we had a great deal of fun"resting our feet;)" it was fine but I wouldn't do it again- walkways were a bit uneven here and there so someone with an unsteady gait might find it to be a struggle- Boat was better :)

Day 6, we went on to Castaway Cay and stayed in a cabana. First, they have a dr on the island - We saw an elderly woman be rescued from a blackout - seems she went facedown in the sand, 20 something grandson didn't notice right away and rest of family had gone off, it was cold and the beach was deserted ( we were on the other side of the island) so very few eyes around- thank goodness the girl who takes drink orders happened to see her and radio for help, my DH and son helped the lady up and the doctor was there to take care of her and get her to medical so that was good. There are 2 shuttles to move guests around the island and limit walking which is pretty fantastic. Very very non wheelchair using handicapped supportive organization & setup, I would totally recommend Castaway Cay and the whole Disney Cruise line experience for anyone like me who is handicapped but not wheelchair dependent and who wants to do Disney but just can't physically tolerate what the parks demand as things are now.

Day 7, got back to WDW and checked in at Animal Kingdom Villa. This place is huge but doable as long as you have a rental car and park near your room. The first day We used the free valet for handicapped persons at the main entrance and I regretted it since we were in room 7766 or something like that so the walk was awful- my whole party was about 2 hallways in front of me. Normally my family stays with me but we we were with another couple and the guy was a colleague from my husbands job so no one wanted to make a scene. They were the sorts who think everything can be fixed by veggies and the 'right outlook' so what can ya do. After getting settled my husband sprinted back to the lobby and moved the car for me so it was a short walk from the closest elevator for the rest of the time. We were in room 7766. I had wanted to go to Universal but didn't think I could manage so we skipped it and went to see Deadpool at Downtown Disney- aka Disney Springs . They have valet parking, I think it's a $20 max

Day 7, Magic Kingdom - 14,600 steps- glad I rested up for this one. I wore my easy spirit sneakers and made it. At the end of the day I was in soooo much pain but I was able to enjoy my day and do what I wanted, grateful I saved it for the last day because if I had done it first like I used to do I would have been in too much pain to do anything else.

Day 8 was just a travel back home day.

Overall Recommendation, I'd say it's doable for people like me as long as you prepare your party for the concessions and pace yourself. I think the spacing out is key, if you can do the cruise, if it's too expensive, and it is expensive, then split time with pool days or beach days to rest in between. Since they don't have non expiring pass options any more resist the urge to buy too much up front. Instead buy the minimum and add days as you go at the resort lobby, nothing worse than feeling bad about a handicap and kicking yourself over lost money.

I'm just curious, but if stamina/fatigue is part of your disability...what could Disney do that would help? What did they do before?

Confused: Seems it's up to us to help ourselves, that's why I put this out. Strategy that worked was shorten visit, go when heat isn't an issue, manage time spent straining/standing/walking on the concrete by mixing things up, do other things like the cruise/ beach or resort days.

I used to go and get a 10 day pass plus hopper, those days are gone but 3 days of walking is doable, plus a cruise so no need need to find a new destination just reinvent the experience:) everyone is different so other folks might be able to add more days than I did, but I'd stick with add as you go. The concrete is punishing & disease is unforgiving so compromise is necessary for a new normal

Im NOT trying to be rude.. but yes it is up to us to help ourselves.. we may be disabled but we cant keep asking to be treated equally ,, then cry foul when they make things assessable to us. Im not saying that , thats what you are doing. but if this was an issue with me, then I would have gotten a wheelchair.. it seems like you did have a good time though..

Last edited:
I'm just curious, but if stamina/fatigue is part of your disability...what could Disney do that would help? What did they do before?
Well since you asked!!
Contrary to what people on here want to believe there are some guests who have done WDW long enough and well enough to know that a DAS is a better alternative than a wheelchair or ECV. Either way you are flooding the parking with both....
Guests complain at the volume of ECVs out there but honestly Disney forces the issue with many guests who really might otherwise have their needs better met with a DAS but Disney does not have to go with what is best for the guest...it just has to give an accommodation.
So the fact that they took the GAC away and won't give a DAS for stamina/fatigue issues...well I believe that answers your questions right there, doesn't it?

Hey there, so let's not give in to the divide & conquer thing. It is what it is and no one is going to change the policy so Instead of getting upset with what we can't change lets just focus on moving ahead in a positive way. We should just stick together, help each other out with useful recommendations about good strategies and relay experiences that can help other families manage things. For example, some resorts are probably better at accommodating us than others so talking about it would be useful.

The cruise line was immeasurably better for me so that would have been good to hear while I was planning I think :)

Ps- ignore those asking you to defend yourself, everyone who truly deals with this sort of things gets it and wouldn't ask so don't get sidetracked. Let's just focus on making our lives better, it's all about the magic

Im NOT trying to be rude.. but yes it is up to us to help ourselves.. we may be disabled but we cant keep asking to be treated equally ,, then cry foul when they make things assessable to us. Im not saying that , thats what you are doing. but if this was an issue with me, then I would have gotten a wheelchair.. it seems like you did have a good time though..
I can't speak for OP but with me, I'm not bad enough yet to use a wc at home, therefore, I don't own one. It's an extra expense to rent one and when you are on a budget every penny counts. I was lucky to get to go to WDW by presenting my husband with a bare bones minimum budget. When I found out that I would not be able to get a DAS, (I'm over it, not complaining, just explaining possible perspectives) I was a little peeved that I'd have to spend extra money to rent one for the duration of my trip. Luckily, I found out my dad had a rollator I could borrow so I'm set.

My sister chose to work part time and do as much as she could to take care of herself. She did not have the stamina to work full time, but wanted to not totally give up and be able to do something for herself. She was denied disability, despite opinions of degreed doctors because it's all or nothing. Either you can work or you can't. It's that mentality that bothers me. We make people give up more of their control and power and ownership than we should. Disney is kind of doing that to the ones who are not yet totally disabled, but just need a little assistance. I was a CNA in the past and the LAST thing we do to a patient is counsel them to give up and give in to their physical disabilities (depending on what they are and what's causing them, of course.) Exercise and movement is a good thing for many disabilities and sitting in a wc all day is the LAST thing they should be doing.

BUT, I do understand the nightmare that Disney has been through and would go through if they allowed every Tom, Dick and Harry to come in and claim what they shouldn't. So in the end, it's not Disney that's doing it, but the dishonest folks out there. Once I got over my annoyance (it helped that my dad had a rollator) I just went on forward making the best of the situation.

Hope that helps you to see another perspective.

Stitchlovestink and Scooterbritches, I know it's frustrating but this will go around & around and tie you up in knots if you let it.

My favorite new quote is, "Never waste time trying to explain yourself to people who are committed to misunderstanding you." Not sure who said it but I love it.

Hi to both of you, nice to meet others in my boat . Hope others will collect so we can help each other make our trips better

I am glade you had a good trip I have always wanted to go on a disney cruse but too scared to go.

I kind of think ( and this is just what I think) that for people with mobility stanama issues I can not see a DAS card helping at all and I am so glade disney dose not give them out. there is just way to much walking and a DAS card would not help. I am not saying that this is why you want a DAS card but I know some people want one so they can do more rides and that is just not fair. with any disability there are exspinces that have to be paid wether it be a wheel chair ECV head phones, a wide brim hat, sunglsees that are really dark, some sensory item, extra medicine, a trip to the ER shorter park days any one with any disability has to pay for it some way or another I think every one has to do the best with what they are given/ accommodation and then go from there this world is not perfect and the way disney dose things is not perfect ( there is a lot that I can not do even with a DAS card that I really really real want to do, still trying to figure out who to do some things) but in the end disney know what is best for the whole I think ever group of disabled people have to give up a little so we can all enjoy the parks.

Well since you asked!!
Contrary to what people on here want to believe there are some guests who have done WDW long enough and well enough to know that a DAS is a better alternative than a wheelchair or ECV. Either way you are flooding the parking with both....
Guests complain at the volume of ECVs out there but honestly Disney forces the issue with many guests who really might otherwise have their needs better met with a DAS but Disney does not have to go with what is best for the guest...it just has to give an accommodation.
So the fact that they took the GAC away and won't give a DAS for stamina/fatigue issues...well I believe that answers your questions right there, doesn't it?
I have never seen someone complains that there was too many wheel chair or ECV and the region why they took a way the GAC was that too many people were using them and the lines for it was just as long if not longer then the regular line. this is way they do not give the DAS to people with mobility stanama problems so the people that can only be accommodated with a DAS card can get the accommodation they need.

I understand the desire to stay out of a wheelchair - but why punish the rest of the family by limiting what they can do because of it? Don't you think they worry about you hobbling around, etc? Or did they go to the parks/stay in the parks without you?

BTW, a DAS doesn't diminish the amount of walking/standing at WDW. A GAC didn't diminish it either. It just acted as a never ending FP, which was not ADA approved. Using a wheelchair or other mobility device allows a person to stay in the park longer, do more, and have less pain the next day if walking/standing gives pain. It is a guest's choice to use a mobility device. It's not up to WDW to limit how much pain you want to put yourself through.

Hi gap2368, it was my first one ever and I went with cruising because my cousins are fans who told me it would work well for my physical situation and I'm so glad I listened. That said I did get a little seasick but my neurologist gave me Compazine for both migraine and nausea and I am grateful I had it since we hit a patch of rough seas the last night, February 14. Even so I'd do it again as long as I have the Compazine lol, although I wouldn't do more than the 3 nights because I don't think I'd like much longer, nor do I want to totally give up my WDW trips just yet so the combo fits for now.

I would encourage people like me to give it a try for the shortest cruises. Truthfully, it was blissful to be able to reach everything with such ease, seating is everywhere so that was a huge bonus too. We had a big family room and verandas because we are now a family of 4 adult size people but I think that smaller room would be ok too-I was just skittish. The bunk bed situation was very nice as the beds accommodated my 6 foot tall 18 year old son and 17 year old daughter with room to spare. The space under the bed fit 4 huge bits of luggage. It needed to be kept neat so as to not be overwhelming but other than that it was perfect:)

I understand the desire to stay out of a wheelchair - but why punish the rest of the family by limiting what they can do because of it? Don't you think they worry about you hobbling around, etc? Or did they go to the parks/stay in the parks without you?

BTW, a DAS doesn't diminish the amount of walking/standing at WDW. A GAC didn't diminish it either. It just acted as a never ending FP, which was not ADA approved. Using a wheelchair or other mobility device allows a person to stay in the park longer, do more, and have less pain the next day if walking/standing gives pain. It is a guest's choice to use a mobility device. It's not up to WDW to limit how much pain you want to put yourself through.

Are you serious? My family loves me and doesn't consider supporting me and keeping me company to be punishment, wow... I am stunned you would even think it much less say it. Glad I got the family I did, suddenly feeling very very very blessed for mine and grateful you are not in the mix

Seems it's up to us to help ourselves, that's why I put this out. Strategy that worked was shorten visit, go when heat isn't an issue, manage time spent straining/standing/walking on the concrete by mixing things up, do other things like the cruise/ beach or resort days.

I'm so glad you've found a "new" way to enjoy Disney! Many of us go through transitions when we need to make changes or adjustments -- at home, at work, on vacation. Meeting those situations with an open mind and positive attitude can really make change much more pleasant. And as you found, something new and enjoyable! Thank you for sharing your experience.

Are you serious? My family loves me and doesn't consider supporting me and keeping me company to be punishment, wow... I am stunned you would even think it much less say it. Glad I got the family I did, suddenly feeling very very very blessed for mine and grateful you are not in the mix

I can see where goddess tree is coming from here they used to do 10 day trip and now are only doing 3 they see you hopping around in pain and not being able to do as much as you used too. yes they do love you and want you to be happy and do what is best for you but it probable was hard for them even if they did not say to see you hopping around the parks and not being able to spend the time in the parks they used too I do not think the PP was being mean just pointing out an opnion. for your next trips I would not put an ECV or wheel chair totally out the window it may in fact giver you more freedom

I can see where goddess tree is coming from here they used to do 10 day trip and now are only doing 3 they see you hopping around in pain and not being able to do as much as you used too. yes they do love you and want you to be happy and do what is best for you but it probable was hard for them even if they did not say to see you hopping around the parks and not being able to spend the time in the parks they used too I do not think the PP was being mean just pointing out an opnion. for your next trips I would not put an ECV or wheel chair totally out the window it may in fact giver you more freedom

Another yikes for assuming my family is shallow i think my family would be offended by that because they are better than that. In fact none of my family would even do WDW if it wasn't for me and are happy to go and enjoy it "with" me not in spite of me and I think you do them an injustice lowering them by putting your words hopes and feelings to them.

My family spent all their time giving me hugs and fighting over whose hand I would hold and what rides they could go on with me, sad neither of you know what that is like or it wouldn't be such an alien idea

Would you say that to a family with an elderly family member or one with a baby? How about a family with a special needs kid? Telling them how caring for the family member is a punishment or that they don't really want to do it and asserting the person with special requirements is just being selfish. Doubt it

Not following down the rabbit hole again or engaging either

I'm so glad you've found a "new" way to enjoy Disney! Many of us go through transitions when we need to make changes or adjustments -- at home, at work, on vacation. Meeting those situations with an open mind and positive attitude can really make change much more pleasant. And as you found, something new and enjoyable! Thank you for sharing your experience.
thanks lanejudy, for a while I thought I had to give amusement parks up so I can see why others would feel the same- I'm thrilled I found a compromise and just want to encourage others to try new arrangements too:)

Folks, please remember it can be hard to recognize "tone of voice" when all we have is the written word in posts -- no voice inflection, facial expressions or other nonverbal cues. What works for one family may or may not work for another because we are all individuals with different personalities and different needs.

Another yikes for assuming my family is shallow i think my family would be offended by that because they are better than that. In fact none of my family would even do WDW if it wasn't for me and are happy to go and enjoy it "with" me not in spite of me and I think you do them an injustice lowering them by putting your words hopes and feelings to them.

My family spent all their time giving me hugs and fighting over whose hand I would hold and what rides they could go on with me, sad neither of you know what that is like or it wouldn't be such an alien idea

Would you say that to a family with an elderly family member or one with a baby? How about a family with a special needs kid? Telling them how caring for the family member is a punishment or that they don't really want to do it and asserting the person with special requirements is just being selfish. Doubt it

Not following down the rabbit hole again or engaging either
sorry I never said your family was not having fun was not going out of there way to make you feel loved included and what not I do get it I have more then enough disabilities and have a wonderful friend that goes to disney and is a great help with all my disabilities and accommodates me more then I deserve while there. I was just saying that instead of watching you hop around hurt or in pain you could have use a mobility device and not to say I will never use one to look at it like a tool that may help you and your family enjoy the parks longer..

I never for a second think or thought that your family felt less of you or you were aburdon or any of this stuff I feel like you are being ver single minded and not wanting to look at it from another point of view and taking some suggestion form others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter