My experience at The Poly this week

maciemouse

DIS Veteran
We just returned from a four night stay at The Poly. I booked a standard DVC studio. I was so excited about our stay. We were sending our son to college and he chose this resort. We have not stayed here in years. We did online check in and were set. While we were driving down we got our room number via text. It was in Fiji. I knew Fiji was not DVC. I specifically booked DVC for the extra bathroom and to guarantee we would be away from construction. I pull the map up and see our room directly faces the construction on the ground floor. A number was listed on the text to call if I had any questions. I called and spoke with a CM and told her I had booked a DVC room and wanted the room I had paid for. She stated I was actually upgraded. I knew that was not true because both rooms were standard view. When I explained I did not want a room overlooking construction, she laughed at me. And continued to laugh. She said she would have someone from the hotel call me back. A lady named Erica did call back and said there was no rooms available for me to move to that night and the three rooms that were available for the rest of our stay also faced the construction. Also if I wanted to move, I would have to check out by 11 the next and she could not promise my new room would be ready by 4. She told me there was a issue with some of the DVC rooms and that is why I was moved. We went ahead and slept in the room the first night and went and saw a manager the next morning. He was apologetic. I asked why I was not called since my DVC room was pulled from inventory? For 700.00, you think I would get at least a call. He offered to comp our first night but we had to keep our room. Luckily there was no noise but our patio did face a large green mesh fence. We did not feel the room was worth 700.00 a nite. I just wanted to you guys be aware that if you book DVC, there is no guarantee that is what you get. We did have a great time despite our room issue. I hope when the construction really begins, they close off those rooms facing it or at least offer a discount.

Honestly, I would have asked to be moved to a different property if that is what they offered me for what was booked. I would have been really nice about it right up until they were laughing at me over the phone, and then it would have escalated really quickly. I am very happy that you all were able to enjoy your visit, though!

Honestly, I would have asked to be moved to a different property if that is what they offered me for what was booked. I would have been really nice about it right up until they were laughing at me over the phone, and then it would have escalated really quickly. I am very happy that you all were able to enjoy your visit, though!

Agree. I think the calls are recorded, they may be able to review the call. That's totally uncalled for and made it all the worse.

Send guest services an email as well. Explain it to them, and tell them you want every night comped. Don’t let it go because that is rediculous. It’s one thing to know ahead of time you’ll be not only in a completely different type of room (which is actually a downgrade compared to their studios) but to be staring at construction the whole time. They need to know they can’t get away with things like this. Not for that price.

It was an experience such as OP’s, but for 2 cash rooms - before any of the Poly was converted to DVC many years ago - that caused me to decide against staying at the Poly ever again. In my case getting rooms w/out balconies or patios and so called garden views which were in fact parking lot views - far too much money spent for our 10 day stay to risk getting such sub par rooms again IMO.

I am sorry this happened. These things can happen but it does cause disappointment for sure.

I hope the rest of the trip was fun and enjoyable!

My VGF construction-facing room was by far my most negative Disney experience ever, and they offered me zilch. Sounds like I pretty much had the same customer service experience, except I had to physically go all over GF.

Poly2 is a huge construction zone next to a bunch of $700/night rooms -- it is going to be a big problem, and it's not going away for a long time. I would be (and was) furious that they are doing this with obvious, known construction site issues.

I'm used to generally terrible DVC service, but cash guests paying $700 will be, and should be, furious.

Last edited:
The really sad part is it isn't the people we get to talk to that are responsible for these issues. It's the higher ups who make all the "big" decisions and the big bucks that are responsible and unfortunately, we don't get to vent to them. The lower-level employees are the ones that get to take our abuse (not saying anyone is or was abusive but when this type of situation comes up it does usually bring out the worst in people). Too bad we can't get directly to the people who are truly responsible.

I guess the other side of the coin is that without some inconveniences there would never be any changes at WDW. Some changes are truly great and worth some inconveniences. With that being said I'm sorry about the room but glad the rest of your vacation was good.

Does anyone have the guest services email? I would love for them to pull the phone call if they can. I have the date and time. I had even requested Tokelau the weekend before we arrived. We did have a great vacation but I was really disappointed the first night on the way down there. I also had a problem with me possibly switching rooms. It would cause me to check out at 11 and possibly be after 4 getting back into a new room. Way too much money to be sitting room-less for something that was no fault of mine. And yes, when the construction actually begins, it will really be a mess for Fiji and Aotearoa, I hope those rooms are pulled from inventory or discounted.

Does anyone have the guest services email? I would love for them to pull the phone call if they can. I have the date and time. I had even requested Tokelau the weekend before we arrived. We did have a great vacation but I was really disappointed the first night on the way down there. I also had a problem with me possibly switching rooms. It would cause me to check out at 11 and possibly be after 4 getting back into a new room. Way too much money to be sitting room-less for something that was no fault of mine. And yes, when the construction actually begins, it will really be a mess for Fiji and Aotearoa, I hope those rooms are pulled from inventory or discounted.

Since you were on a cash stay, you need to reach out to WDW as it wasn’t a DVC reservation.

guest.services@disneyworld.com

Unfortunately, DVC villas book close to 100% year round with owners so when something happens to one, it’s hard to move people to a different villa at the same resort as they truly may not have been any.

We had a similar experience a few years ago at Beach Club Villas. We checked in close to midnight and the carpet in our DVC room was soaked so we were moved to a room on the hotel side. The following morning after going around a few times at the front desk we decide it was easier just to just keep the regular room. We would have had to wait a second night to get a studio so we decided we just wanted to unpack and get settled. I think we ended up with a $200 room credit. I wasn’t going to argue but I would have liked some points returned for our trouble.

I'm confused. Why would some of the DVC rooms be out of commission due to construction? Or was it possibly not due to construction? We are headed down for a "goodbye" trip, but this is the first time we are staying at the Poly. I sure don't want my last night at WDW for awhile to be next to a construction zone.

I'm confused. Why would some of the DVC rooms be out of commission due to construction? Or was it possibly not due to construction? We are headed down for a "goodbye" trip, but this is the first time we are staying at the Poly. I sure don't want my last night at WDW for awhile to be next to a construction zone.
The DVC rooms were probably out of commission due to a maintenance issue. The construction is on the other side of Poly property where the new DVC is being built.

The room the OP was switched to was near the new Poly tower site. They had DVC reserved for a cash stay but needed to be moved to a hotel room due to the DVC room being taken out of service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter