(More) Alcohol Coming to MK

I don't think this is the beginning of the end here, I don't see them having the beer carts in MK and since they already serve beer and wine at BOG it's almost a six of one a half dozen of another situation. As far as what would Walt say, Disney is a publicly traded company. Had Walt not wanted alcohol or whatever else people love to say What would Walt say about, the company should have remained private. I imagine Walt would be sitting in his living room with a cigerette in one hand and whatever his drink of choice was in the other and laughing.

Not necessarily true.

And you certainly can have fun at MK without a beer in hand. You aren't forced to drink.

Which part is not necessarily true? I'm pretty sure that nationwide having open liquor in pubic (down Main Street) is illegal.

If you meant the have fun part, if a person can't have fun without having a drink then they have a problem and need help. (This is not the same as people that choose to have one, but those who feel they have to. Such as those sneaking alcohol in etc)

Which part is not necessarily true? I'm pretty sure that nationwide having open liquor in pubic (down Main Street) is illegal.

If you meant the have fun part, if a person can't have fun without having a drink then they have a problem and need help. (This is not the same as people that choose to have one, but those who feel they have to. Such as those sneaking alcohol in etc)
There are most definitely places in the US where you can walk around with open liquor containers. And since it is private property, Disney basically sets those rules. At Epcot, people walk around quite regularly with an adult beverage. My husband walked all over Wilderness Lodge, both outside and in, with a bloody mary from Territory Lounge. However, even with wine and beer served at dinner at BOG, Disney decided not to let drinks leave that premises. Most likely it's because the liquor license may only cover the restaurant and not the whole park.

I don't think this is the beginning of the end here, I don't see them having the beer carts in MK and since they already serve beer and wine at BOG it's almost a six of one a half dozen of another situation. As far as what would Walt say, Disney is a publicly traded company. Had Walt not wanted alcohol or whatever else people love to say What would Walt say about, the company should have remained private. I imagine Walt would be sitting in his living room with a cigerette in one hand and whatever his drink of choice was in the other and laughing.

a scotch mist - his drink of choice was a scotch mix which he had every day

You might be pretty sure but you are incorrect. Ever been to Savannah? Ever been to a town I lived in where I helped serve beer on the town square? How about a farmers market that serves bloody Mary's and.mimosas? There are thousands of cities. It would be difficult for someone to know the rules for all of them.

You are 100-percent incorrect, actually. I live in Texas, one of the strictest states when it comes to alcohol across the board (sales, production, distribution, dry counties, etc.) and almost my entire city does not have an open-container law - the only illegal situation involving an open container is if you are operating a motor vehicle.

All of WDW resides on private property, in an area referred to as "unincorporated Orange County" - which means at the end of the day, they can do whatever they want. If they want support from public services provided by Orange County (ie. the Sheriff's Department), they can received that by paying the city. They don't pay OFD for fire services, since they are managed by Reedy Creek - same with ambulance services.

We get it. You don't want alcohol in the MK - you've made your point very clear. But there are plenty of people who do, and obviously the sales numbers of wine/beer at BoG was enough to tilt the hand of the powers that be over MK & WDW Food and Beverage to make this change. I do NOT believe it was something they took lightly. If you don't like it, don't go.

Personally, I don't like that people are allowed to bring full-size coolers filled with two meals worth of food into the parks and drag them behind them like they're going to a picnic - I got stuck behind a family at bag check at Epcot that had to empty out their entire cooler (two rotisserie chickens, full-size sides, etc.) and it was pretty ridiculous. But, I deal with it.

Ever been to New Orleans French Quarter? They have Hurricane vendors in kiosks on the street there. And I'm sure there are very many other places even in our own country, and definitely worldwide, that have the same setup.

You might be pretty sure but you are incorrect. Ever been to Savannah? Ever been to a town I lived in where I helped serve beer on the town square? How about a farmers market that serves bloody Mary's and.mimosas? There are thousands of cities. It would be difficult for someone to know the rules for all of them.

They would have to have a liquor license to do so. Not quite the same thing as walking down a street drinking.

But I am so glad everyone told me Wlt Disney World is a private entity and as such has their own liquor license with their own rules. Wow. I never would have guessed, especially given the nature of this entire conversation.

Personally, I don't like that people are allowed to bring full-size coolers filled with two meals worth of food into the parks and drag them behind them like they're going to a picnic - I got stuck behind a family at bag check at Epcot that had to empty out their entire cooler (two rotisserie chickens, full-size sides, etc.) and it was pretty ridiculous. But, I deal with it.

obviously a bit off topic but I noticed this our most recent trip as well and wasn't sure if that was a new thing or just something more common? It was almost comically watching people wheel these giant coolers down main st (getting the wheels caught in the rails, etc.)

They would have to have a liquor license to do so. Not quite the same thing as walking down a street drinking.

But I am so glad everyone told me Wlt Disney World is a private entity and as such has their own liquor license with their own rules. Wow. I never would have guessed, especially given the nature of this entire conversation.

It is exactly the same thing as walking down a street drinking because it is what is happening. I'm not sure why you won't concede you are wrong about this. You can walk down streets in the US with alcohol and it isn't illegal. It really isn't big deal to not be aware this can happen.

I will use Savannah as an example, you can walk up to kiosks the bars have and walk away down the street with your drink.

Last edited:
mshanson3121 said:
Things would be so much simpler if people knew how to read. Anyways. Go back up.

Can we not discuss this and have different opinions without personal attacks?

mshanson3121 said:
Things would be so much simpler if people knew how to read. Anyways. Go back up.

Can we not discuss this and have different opinions without personal attacks?
Not directed at you but let's all remember to be nice and follow the board guidelines. Personal attacks are not allowed and if you feel you are being attacked press the report button.

mshanson3121 said:
Things would be so much simpler if people knew how to read. Anyways. Go back u

Can we not discuss this and have different opinions without persona attacks?
Right. You mean like those people making fun and name calling those of us who are opposed? So apparently no, we can't.

Meanwhile actually I had tried to delete that after I typed it, and you're not seeing the whole post which would help you realize it was not a personal attack, but my phone has been freezing up and somehow I ended up with a double quote and a partial reply.

Last edited:
obviously a bit off topic but I noticed this our most recent trip as well and wasn't sure if that was a new thing or just something more common? It was almost comically watching people wheel these giant coolers down main st (getting the wheels caught in the rails, etc.)

I'll make this :offtopic: super quick:

But yeah, it was at Epcot at, oh, 9:30 in the morning? This was on a Saturday during F&W. The mom of the group (six adults, three children) was obviously "frustrated" at the time it was taking bag check to go through the cooler and TWO BAGS of food-related crap they had stuffed in their two strollers. At one point, she started raising her voice (unprovoked - I was annoyed, but I was also texting on my phone to pass the time) to us in line behind her that she would apologize but it's Disney World that should be sorry that we're having to wait - that "Disney basically forces me to do this!". My only thought was "Sure, but nobody forces you to be rude about it."

I'll make this :offtopic: super quick:

But yeah, it was at Epcot at, oh, 9:30 in the morning? This was on a Saturday during F&W. The mom of the group (six adults, three children) was obviously "frustrated" at the time it was taking bag check to go through the cooler and TWO BAGS of food-related crap they had stuffed in their two strollers. At one point, she started raising her voice (unprovoked - I was annoyed, but I was also texting on my phone to pass the time) to us in line behind her that she would apologize but it's Disney World that should be sorry that we're having to wait - that "Disney basically forces me to do this!". My only thought was "Sure, but nobody forces you to be rude about it."

Nobody forces you to go to Walt Disney World either lady ;)

There is alcohol (usually beer) featured in many of the movies portrayed in MK. I don't think wine and beer at dinner is going to ruin the "fantasy".

Well when they can barely walk straight, they have that glazed look in their eye, they're in that obnoxious loud, rude state (which granted lots of people can be in sober) and when they cut in front of your children and try to excuse themselves, their breath is strong enough to sterilize a hospital ward... it becomes rather obvious. That said, drunk people are typically pretty easy to pick out.

My 20 year old disabled nephew fits all this "criteria", except for the alcohol breath. But if his father is with him, drinking his one and only beer of the day, you might just smell alcohol if they pass by you. And you and others might think they're drunk, if we go by the above "criteria". My nephew is mobile but he can barely walk straight, he shuffles and he might bump into people or cut in front of them. His speech is limited and slurred and he can be loud and obnoxious and frequently has outbursts of laughter and other noises. If we add that he needs to be led or directed when walking at times, that can be easily misinterpreted as someone taking care of someone else who had too much to drink.

This is not directed at only you, because I've seen this claim of "identifying drunks" more than once on DIS. I'm sure that it is true in some cases. But my question is: How do you really know enough to make a claim? And every time I see it brought up, I think of my nephew. I guarantee most people would not realize his disability unless they spent more than 10 minutes with him, and that doesn't happen in passing at WDW.

Honestly, I have never had a problem with a drunk guest at WDW and we've been going almost every year for almost 40 years. I have had problems with obnoxious guests who think their children should be able to push ahead of others or scream uncontrolled in a TS restaurant or think they can change a diaper wherever they want. I've had problems with people who think that waiting on line is beneath them. I've had problems with guests who push strollers or drive ECVs through crowds without concern for others... I could go on and on but I'm sure you get the picture.

I had more of an issue with the lady who tried to physically tackle me while I was trying to get on the tram on our last trip. Apparently that was the last tram out of Disney, or at least she must've thought so. That bothered me way more than a few restaurants offering a max of two drinks per person with their meal at MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter