(More) Alcohol Coming to MK

so none of disney's premium cocktails then? - thats a little surprising considering I'd imagine that they make the most money for Disney.

You apparently haven't read most of the comments. None of us are demonizing alcohol. In fact, if you go back and read through, you'll see that most of us have said we drink ourselves, and still are not a fan of it. Also, most of us have said - it's not the glass of wine at dinner that bothers us, it's the knowledge that more than likely the kiosks will follow, and THAT, is what we're against. Alcohol isn't inherently evil, but it's something for adults, and it's not something that children necessarily need to see in the most "magical place on earth". You should be able to have fun at MK, without having to walk down Main Street, USA with a beer in hand (which in "real life" would be illegal).

except although this thread is now 6 pages long, there seems to be very few people actually against it. The rest are either not bothered either way or happy to have the option.

except although this thread is now 6 pages long, there seems to be very few people actually against it. The rest are either not bothered either way or happy to have the option.

I was doing a direct reply to another comment and speaking specifically about those of us who are against it. I never said there was many of us.

Last edited:
My 20 year old disabled nephew fits all this "criteria", except for the alcohol breath. But if his father is with him, drinking his one and only beer of the day, you might just smell alcohol if they pass by you. And you and others might think they're drunk, if we go by the above "criteria". My nephew is mobile but he can barely walk straight, he shuffles and he might bump into people or cut in front of them. His speech is limited and slurred and he can be loud and obnoxious and frequently has outbursts of laughter and other noises. If we add that he needs to be led or directed when walking at times, that can be easily misinterpreted as someone taking care of someone else who had too much to drink.

This is not directed at only you, because I've seen this claim of "identifying drunks" more than once on DIS. I'm sure that it is true in some cases. But my question is: How do you really know enough to make a claim? And every time I see it brought up, I think of my nephew. I guarantee most people would not realize his disability unless they spent more than 10 minutes with him, and that doesn't happen in passing at WDW.

I can't speak for others. I know myself I can personally tell the difference because I've dealt with alcoholics, but even more so, I have an extremely disabled/handicapped sister, so I know exactly what you mean. And yes, to the passerby who hasn't had experience with either, it could be difficult to tell for sure, especially at a distance. Sort of similar to how many people with a disability (especially the invisible ones) often get brushed off as rude, obnoxious, poorly disciplined (kids) etc... Both of my children have special needs so I've dealt with that more times than I can count.

I am fine with the beer and wine at MK. Personally, I am not a beer drinker but I do like a sweet wine now and then, however, I am definitely in to share a bottle of rum with a pirate. pirate:

Just my two cents here...

I guess I don't understand why some demonize all types of alcohol...if you don't drink, or don't WANT to drink, then don't drink. Most drink responsibly, and those that don't should be dealt with quickly and appropriately.

I guess I feel it's better to educate your kids about "_______" (fill in the blank - rudeness, alcohol, pot, cigarettes, sex, foul language, discrimination, bigotry, the list can go on and on...), rather than trying to protect them from ever seeing it at all - shoot just turn on the TV, for heaven's sake.

To have others decide whether or not I should be able to have a drink, even outside of a restaurant, in a vacations spot attended by world-wide guests with different cultures and beliefs, is not only "old fashioned," but somewhat judgemental, just like it would be if you said I couldn't ride Soarin' twice in a row because others may not get to ride it at all.

If I abuse alcohol i and my resulting behavior infringes on others' rights, etc., then shame on me, and by all means, I should be punished. But it's certainly not the fault of having alcohol available - it's my fault for not being an adult and being responsible.

On a certain level you are absolutely right. The presence of alcohol does not force anyone to drink it, or drink it to excess and then bother other people.

However, I would bet that there is a direct correlation between how much alcohol is available and how much the average guest consumes. Areas with kiosks would have a higher drink per guest ratio than areas where alcohol is available only in restaurants and bars. They make money and make guests happy.

I'm not so much concerned with crazy drunks, but moreso with crass talk, cussing, lax parenting, disregard of park rules, depressed motor skills, aggression, etc.. - the subtler things that can (and I understand do not always, or even most of the time) happen after 3-4 cocktails. I can talk nasty with the best of them but at a Disney park? NO WAY. That's not what I'm there for.

So I don't think the issue is that anyone thinks we need to prohibit any alcohol from all parks, or pretend that it doesn't exist, or that anyone should feel shame for enjoying an alcoholic beverage. My issue is the extreme availability and the management of consumption per guest. Enjoy your drinks, but the parks, and especially the Magic Kingdom, are not bars. A different standard of behavior applies.

Of course people should control their behavior. The thing is, quite often they do not. So it's left to the parks to handle the service of alcohol while still maintaining a family-friendly environment, through whatever means is most effective - be it enforcement of park rules, whatever. I'm a gay man with no kids and the family-friendly environment at the parks is still valuable to me. Harsh language, bad or inconsiderate behavior, it just takes the sparkle of our experience of the parks. Alcohol can contribute to this kind of behavior, especially when served in a street festival, party town sort of way. In World Showcase I think it fits, but in other parks and most importantly the Magic Kingdom, I think it's up for discussion.

On a certain level you are absolutely right. The presence of alcohol does not force anyone to drink it, or drink it to excess and then bother other people.

However, I would bet that there is a direct correlation between how much alcohol is available and how much the average guest consumes. Areas with kiosks would have a higher drink per guest ratio than areas where alcohol is available only in restaurants and bars. They make money and make guests happy.

I'm not so much concerned with crazy drunks, but moreso with crass talk, cussing, lax parenting, disregard of park rules, depressed motor skills, aggression, etc.. - the subtler things that can (and I understand do not always, or even most of the time) happen after 3-4 cocktails. I can talk nasty with the best of them but at a Disney park? NO WAY. That's not what I'm there for.

So I don't think the issue is that anyone thinks we need to prohibit any alcohol from all parks, or pretend that it doesn't exist, or that anyone should feel shame for enjoying an alcoholic beverage. My issue is the extreme availability and the management of consumption per guest. Enjoy your drinks, but the parks, and especially the Magic Kingdom, are not bars. A different standard of behavior applies.

Of course people should control their behavior. The thing is, quite often they do not. So it's left to the parks to handle the service of alcohol while still maintaining a family-friendly environment, through whatever means is most effective - be it enforcement of park rules, whatever. I'm a gay man with no kids and the family-friendly environment at the parks is still valuable to me. Harsh language, bad or inconsiderate behavior, it just takes the sparkle of our experience of the parks. Alcohol can contribute to this kind of behavior, especially when served in a street festival, party town sort of way. In World Showcase I think it fits, but in other parks and most importantly the Magic Kingdom, I think it's up for discussion.

I don't disagree with you sentiment but in this case disagree with the term "extreme availability" when we are talking about a few table service restaurants and a 2 drink limit

And even if it expands I never hear about issues at DHS or AK - really just EPCOT where the "drink around the world" mentality promotes drinking more than one typically does

I'm not against it either. But I have raised an eyebrow, wondering if this is where it ends. I have no issue with this the way it's rolling out. But I prefer not to see drink stands out in the park, and wonder if that's coming next. It's sort of like the $5 resort package fee. I'm not against that, but I'm not sure that's where it's going to stop. Is this the end game, or just the opening shot? Nobody can say.

But I have raised an eyebrow, wondering if this is where it ends.

1) At least for the first few months.
2) I can see where they would go to full bars and specialty drinks (which all have HUGE profit margins).
3) Like any change, one introduces it slowly, and in stages.

1) At least for the first few months.
2) I can see where they would go to full bars and specialty drinks (which all have HUGE profit margins).
3) Like any change, one introduces it slowly, and in stages.

now you've gotten my brain churning and I am excited for the possibilities:

- A speakeasy themed location on Main St
- A futuristic themed bar in Tomorrowland using modern techniques and things like dry ice for fun drinks
- Turn the Diamond Horseshoe into a heavily themed saloon
- something fun with tropical drinks connected to the Skippers Canteen

- A futuristic themed bar in Tomorrowland using modern techniques and things like dry ice for fun drinks
- something fun with tropical drinks connected to the Skippers Canteen
Champagne cocktails served in glass slippers at the castle?

I love wine...it's a staple in my diet, but I'm disappointed in this news. I like MK the way it is. It's the definition of family friendly, just like our favorite (100% dry) shore town Ocean City, NJ.

I wasn't thrilled when BOG started serving at dinner, but it was only at dinner and only one restaurant so I was ok with it. This recent change seems to me to move MK in a different direction.

I'm fine with the other parks serving alcohol because they always have (at least as far back as I can remember). Heck we visit FWF every year, and I've greeted DH with a Makers and ginger when he arrived late to DHS due to transportation issues (darn buses!). For some reason though drinking in MK doesn't sit right with me.

I'm fine with the other parks serving alcohol because they always have (at least as far back as I can remember). Heck we visit FWF every year, and I've greeted DH with a Makers and ginger when he arrived late to DHS due to transportation issues (darn buses!).

Disney's bus system alone is enough to drive a man to drink... :)

. . . Tinkerbelle Martini? Castle Campari?
. . . Fuzzy-Tribble? Long Island James TEA Kirk??
. . . Matt Dillon Daiquiri? Lone Ranger Rye?
- something fun with tropical drinks connected to the Skippers Canteen[/QUOTE]
. . . Torpedo Juice Cocktail? Skipper Screwdriver?

:cool1:

I think that it will lead to beer carts on Main Street. They've crossed the most important line, "no alcohol in Magic Kingdom" and after that, every further step that their profit-seeking spreadsheet leads them gets easier and easier.

I don't think that this will lead to a lot of drunkenness at MK and that it will spoil a lot of people's vacations. But squeezing the MK cash cow in such an obvious way and kicking around Walt's legacy like a rag doll indicates a certain carelessness with the company's image.

The only concern I have with more drinks is that in MK which is much more ride focused I wouldn't be surprised if the rides start shutting down more for cleaning after someone with a bit too much to drink hurls on space mountain. If I trusted disney to respond to this issue with more maintenance crews to contain any messes faster and get the rides back up and running even this wouldn't be a big deal (other parks do it even with having more thrill rides)

I have definitely seen people that had too much to drink at WDW (because although some disabilities would also make a man be screaming at people as they walk by when they were unhappy I doubt the complaints would be about how the bar cut him off if he wasn't drunk) that lasted about 10 min before he was led away. However that was the only instance that really would have bothered other park goers of all the times I had been there, most of the other times I saw people they were not so drunk to be a nuisance anymore then certain tour groups, random groups of teenagers, etc and we don't ban those.

so none of disney's premium cocktails then? - thats a little surprising considering I'd imagine that they make the most money for Disney.
I think for the short term, this allows you to not have a bartender(or bar). Servers can pour beer and wine. Mixed drinks and cocktails would require some one dedicated to it full time, along with some space to do it. That may come in time with restaurant renovations/re-themes.

I have a tough time with the arguments that this decision will lead to drink kiosks and drunken behavior. In general I have a tough time with folks that project doom and gloom for some future scenario based upon factors X, Y and Z that haven't happened yet.

It's just drinks in the restaurants. It's not bars. It's not drink kiosks. It's not to go cups of everclear.

That being said if there is drunken behavior exhibited, it should be dealt with by Disney staff.

I welcome it, and enjoy having a beer or two with dinner when the opportunity exists. My biggest concern is that they choose good beer to serve.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter