(More) Alcohol Coming to MK

I would also go on to say that the Table service restaurant options at MK, by far are my least favorite of the 4 parks. Adding alcohol doesn't necessarily change that, but it's an improvement. We do find our selves going elsewhere for dinner time if we are at the MK, likely a monorail resort.

I think for the short term, this allows you to not have a bartender(or bar). Servers can pour beer and wine. Mixed drinks and cocktails would require some one dedicated to it full time, along with some space to do it. That may come in time with restaurant renovations/re-themes.

I have a tough time with the arguments that this decision will lead to drink kiosks and drunken behavior. In general I have a tough time with folks that project doom and gloom for some future scenario based upon factors X, Y and Z that haven't happened yet.

It's just drinks in the restaurants. It's not bars. It's not drink kiosks. It's not to go cups of everclear.

That being said if there is drunken behavior exhibited, it should be dealt with by Disney staff.

I welcome it, and enjoy having a beer or two with dinner when the opportunity exists. My biggest concern is that they choose good beer to serve.

I think you sum up how I feel very nicely. I think there is enough to worry about in this world already - why worry about what "might" happen (though I guess the argument is the lobster in the pot doesn't worry when the water gets a little warm and then before he knows it he's poached)

They've been doing a much better job with beer of late and have some nice choices in Animal Kingdom (at Tiffins/Nomad Lounge) so I have hope that most will be solid. Guess Liberty Tree Tavern screams to have Sam Adams or some of the Ales of the Revolution from Yards Brewing

I think they are coming around, much like coffee, they are realizing that people can be very picky about what they drink......and far less tolerant of poor choices, than they are of poorly done food.

This makes me sad.

I like to enjoy some good beer in Epcot, but MK was the last beacon of child-like innocence and fantasy.

On our last trip, we had to pass by a lot of embarrassingly drunk people on our way out of Epcot. I remember thinking, at least my kids don't have to be around this stupidity tomorrow in MK.

I agree with others who say, if you can't fully enjoy one day in a park with your family, without alcohol, you have a problem.

I agree with others who say, if you can't fully enjoy one day in a park with your family, without alcohol, you have a problem.
It's not that you can't go without it. You just happen to enjoy it, just like ordering dessert. Just like a million other things at the MK it makes you smile.
This does not assume mass quantities consumed by one person. This not an issue with alcoholism. It's just a beverage, nothing more.

What next, sugary soda's are really bad for kids. Maybe they shouldn't be in the parks. For that matter, all that candy, that's bad m'kay. It's makes the kids get sick on the rides, and leads to obesity.

This makes me sad.

I like to enjoy some good beer in Epcot, but MK was the last beacon of child-like innocence and fantasy.

On our last trip, we had to pass by a lot of embarrassingly drunk people on our way out of Epcot. I remember thinking, at least my kids don't have to be around this stupidity tomorrow in MK.

One glass of beer or one glass of wine (or two) is the same as a glass of soda or coffee when consumed by an adult with a meal. Again if you don't want to consume it then don't. None of us are saying we require a glass of alcohol with a meal to enjoy a day at a park but it does enhance the meal experience for many people especially international travelers. Again we are talking about 1 or 2 in the span of a table service meal not drunks stumbling around the MK. Plus the alcohol has already been there since BOG opened and BOG didn't even enforce maximums so people have been drinking full bottles there for at least 4 years now.

I would also go on to say that the Table service restaurant options at MK, by far are my least favorite of the 4 parks. Adding alcohol doesn't necessarily change that, but it's an improvement. We do find our selves going elsewhere for dinner time if we are at the MK, likely a monorail resort.

Off-topic, but have you tried Trader Sams yet? We tried it for lunch last week and really liked it. The apps were the best part, so frankly I think I'd make a meal of them if we go again. We shared the chicken entree which was good but not great. Overall, I was very pleasantly surprised with the food - especially the apps.

Off-topic, but have you tried Trader Sams yet? We tried it for lunch last week and really liked it. The apps were the best part, so frankly I think I'd make a meal of them if we go again. We shared the chicken entree which was good but not great. Overall, I was very pleasantly surprised with the food - especially the apps.
Haven't had the opportunity yet. Hope to on the next trip. I'm an apps guy, which is one reason I don't care for the meal plan. My wife and I often enjoy meals of just multiple apps and no "entree".

It's just a beverage, nothing more.

Until it's not. Walt didn't explicitly forbid it from MK because he was some kind of prude. I'd argue he knew what he was doing.

You and I might just enjoy one with a meal, but where it is served, it will be abused. I've dealt with a few drunks in MK -- this will increase that occurrence fifty-fold. It changes the whole feel of the park.

Again if you don't want to consume it then don't.

Oh, if it's already there, I'll probably have one with supper. I just liked that there was one place where my kids don't have to be around drunks. Yes, BOG broke the seal . . . . and this is the natural progression. It will become like Epcot eventually, which is what I find sad.

Haven't had the opportunity yet. Hope to on the next trip. I'm an apps guy, which is one reason I don't care for the meal plan. My wife and I often enjoy meals of just multiple apps and no "entree".

Just to add on - we found we liked the terrace outside of Trader Sam's a lot as well. you can get the same drinks as inside (plus one you can't get inside that has Dole Whip in it), all the same things from the Trader Sam's menu, plus you can go into Captain Cook's and get food to bring out as well (pulled pork nachos for the win) - and they have live music.

What next, sugary soda's are really bad for kids. Maybe they shouldn't be in the parks. For that matter, all that candy, that's bad m'kay. It's makes the kids get sick on the rides, and leads to obesity.

They tried to do that in NYC by limiting the size of cups of soda that could be served but it didn't stick

I'm not against it either. But I have raised an eyebrow, wondering if this is where it ends. I have no issue with this the way it's rolling out. But I prefer not to see drink stands out in the park, and wonder if that's coming next. It's sort of like the $5 resort package fee. I'm not against that, but I'm not sure that's where it's going to stop. Is this the end game, or just the opening shot? Nobody can say.

Excuse me? What? What is that?

Maybe turn Gaston's Tavern into an actual Tavern
That would be my new fave hangout.

Until it's not. Walt didn't explicitly forbid it from MK because he was some kind of prude. I'd argue he knew what he was doing.

You and I might just enjoy one with a meal, but where it is served, it will be abused. I've dealt with a few drunks in MK -- this will increase that occurrence fifty-fold. It changes the whole feel of the park.
AND
I don't care about people hurting their own health. I care about drunk people stumbling into my kids and acting like frat boys, while they are waiting in line to see Elsa and Anna; which has happened, more than once.

Ya know, I am honestly amazed by these comments. I have been to MK well over 100 times and not ONE time can I remember running into someone under the influence of anything besides sweat, tears, and false optimism. (I'm just kidding about the sweat, tears, and false optimism, not the not running into someone under the influence). I'm not saying I don't believe you, I just find it incredible this has happened to you on more than one occasion where it's never happened to me (as far as I can remember) so I am having a little trouble with the notion that all of a sudden we're going to be inundated with drunks at MK.

We don't go to MK for fine international cuisine. The restaurants at MK just aren't gourmet experiences. However, I remember we were eating at Tony's one year and my husband asked for a wine list as there was something on the menu he felt would pair nicely with a wine, increasing his enjoyment of the meal. He's also French-Canadian, so that's completely normal for his culture and ours.

I think the doomsday-sayers are a bit ahead of themselves. I believe this is just going to follow the BOG rules. I don't think you'll see people with open containers, or beer carts, or these drunken expositions that have been prophesized. I think you won't even notice it, tbh, unless you want to notice it.

So question. I see a lot of comparisons with Epcot. I'm curious if anyone has seen any issues at Hollywood Studios. They have alcohol, they have much bigger rides than MK, and they have a few stands spread out that sells. I have seen people way too drunk at Epcot, but I don't remember ever seeing that issue at DHS.

Excuse me? What? What is that?
I have been to MK well over 100 times and not ONE time can I remember running into someone under the influence of anything besides sweat, tears, and false optimism.

Where you only there from 8am-11am? ;-)

Most of the incidents for me were in Epcot, which is why I worry about MK becoming like Epcot (I love Epcot, but am glad MK is different). I've been to MK about 15 times in my life, and had two MAJOR issues with groups of drunk people in MK. Granted one of them was during the Halloween party (where of course, they got loaded before they came in) and that was an all out drunken, shouting brawl between people.

On this last trip (two weeks ago), when leaving Epcot to go to Yacht Club, we had an intoxicated group around us (some walking further ahead, some behind us) as they shouted obscenities back and forth to each other. I looked around for a cast member as I hustled my kids to the resort.

Last edited:
I'm curious if anyone has seen any issues at Hollywood Studios.

Not real "issues." Later in the evening, it takes on a bit more of a party atmosphere and you can tell some adults have had some drinks. I'm cool with that.

Again, I just liked that MK was the one park that had a real innocence feel to it. I'm finding that I am in the minority on that, and that's fine. I only go every two-years, so have at it :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter