Meghan and Harry in "near catastrophic" car chase

That's exactly what happened to me. I flashed back to Princess Diana and how her life ended because of photographers and I started to cry. No one deserves to have that happen to him. Harry must have been in a panic.
Her life ended because she decided to leave the safety and privacy of a luxury hotel, get in a car with a drunk driver, and not wear her seat belt. Bad decisions all around.

I don’t know all the details, but it was on the local news here in New York. Regardless of how you feel about this couple, IMO it’s disturbing that they were followed in this manner. According to the NYPD, there were multiple vehicles, including cars, motorcycles and scooters, who surrounded the Sussexes’ vehicle, and were weaving in and out of traffic.

Part of the route they took was the FDR Drive, which is a divided highway along the river, with a speed limit of 40 mph. It’s not a city street as some here seem to envision it; there are no traffic lights or places to pull over, other than taking an exit ramp. Parts of it even go through tunnels, just like the one in Paris where Diana died. To avoid the paparazzi, they apparently did exit and went to a police station where they switched to a different car. I’m glad they reached their destination safely, but I’m sure it was scary for them, and other drivers were put at risk as well.

The driver was employed by the Fayed family, ie Diana’s boyfriend, and not part of royal protection staff. Diana gave up her royal security detail as part of her divorce. Had she still had it, the driver likely wouldn’t have been drunk, and paparazzi likely wouldn’t have been allowed to get so close. It’s part of the reason Harry has been so focused on obsessed with security.
Harry is obsessed for multiple reasons. He needs counseling. Honestly, it could help him move on and enjoy a "normal" life.
That's exactly what happened to me. I flashed back to Princess Diana and how her life ended because of photographers and I started to cry. No one deserves to have that happen to him. Harry must have been in a panic.
Nope.
The story is as told by the sussex own spokesman.
But of course!
I don't believe that for a millisecond. Megan has tried to be Princess Diana from the moment she met Harry. She is NOT Diana. Don't believe this for a NY minute.

Harry is obsessed for multiple reasons. He needs counseling. Honestly, it could help him move on and enjoy a "normal" life.

Nope.

But of course!
I don't believe that for a millisecond. Megan has tried to be Princess Diana from the moment she met Harry. She is NOT Diana. Don't believe this for a NY minute.

Yes!!! She absolutely went into the marriage thinking she’d be the next Princess Diana.

I‘m just now watching season 4 of “The Crown” - the season where Charles & Diana tour Australia w/ baby William & then later where Diana confronts Queen Elizabeth.

Of course, ”The Crown” is fiction, but I swear Meghan watched it as her inspiration for all the melodrama of her life.

There have been so many scenes where I’ve been like, ”Ooooh… so that’s where Meghan got the idea to say [whatever latest complaint/accusation] against the royal family.”

It’s like she following a script.

While the paparazzi horribly hounded Princess Diana, a lot of it she instigated & arranged herself because she knew how to work the paparazzi to her advantage - AND SO DOES MEGHAN MARKLE.

(I mean, no one thinks the pics of Meghan hiking on the day of Charles’ coronation were just a happy accident, right?)

Princess Diana died because she made the decision to get into a vehicle w/ a drunk driver, & she wasn’t wearing a seatbelt. It was very tragic & very sad.

But, when I read the news about the “near catastrophic car chase,” all I did was roll my eyes & definitely NOT flash back to Princess Diana & Paris - and, if someone DID think about the paparazzi chasing Princess Diana, well, that’s exactly what Meghan (& Harry) wanted.

Last edited:
I was Pro Diana for many years. As I got older and understood a bit more of the dynamic? OMG so many were caught up in this charade and were hurt. Sadly Diana paid the ultimate price.

I was Pro Diana for many years. As I got older and understood a bit more of the dynamic? OMG so many were caught up in this charade and were hurt. Sadly Diana paid the ultimate price.

I agree. And I was the same.

My mother woke up me early to watch Diana get married to Charles, & I’ve been a royal watcher ever since.

And, like you, I was always very pro Diana & always thought of her as being the innocent victim. And, while she may have been innocent at the beginning & not really understood what she was getting into, I think she quickly learned to play the game in her own clever ways. And, while Charles had (& has) his faults, Diana had her faults as well.

But, yes, Diana ended up paying the ultimate price.

I don’t know all the details, but it was on the local news here in New York. Regardless of how you feel about this couple, IMO it’s disturbing that they were followed in this manner. According to the NYPD, there were multiple vehicles, including cars, motorcycles and scooters, who surrounded the Sussexes’ vehicle, and were weaving in and out of traffic.

Part of the route they took was the FDR Drive, which is a divided highway along the river, with a speed limit of 40 mph. It’s not a city street as some here seem to envision it; there are no traffic lights or places to pull over, other than taking an exit ramp. Parts of it even go through tunnels, just like the one in Paris where Diana died. To avoid the paparazzi, they apparently did exit and went to a police station where they switched to a different car. I’m glad they reached their destination safely, but I’m sure it was scary for them, and other drivers were put at risk as well.
If that is the case that is wrong. Paparazzi should not be surrounding the vehicles and weaving in and out of traffic.

I agree. And I was the same.

My mother woke up me early to watch Diana get married to Charles, & I’ve been a royal watcher ever since.

And, like you, I was always very pro Diana & always thought of her as being the innocent victim. And, while she may have been innocent at the beginning & not really understood what she was getting into, I think she quickly learned to play the game in her own clever ways. And, while Charles had (& has) his faults, Diana had her faults as well.

But, yes, Diana ended up paying the ultimate price.
I watched the fairy tale wedding. I was also watching the tube when the Paris accident was reported. So very very sad. 🥲 It all could have been avoided. Diana opted to dismiss the palace security. She was paranoid and thought they were spying on her. Maybe so but....emotions got in the way of reason.

I watched the fairy tale wedding. I was also watching the tube when the Paris accident was reported. So very very sad. 🥲 It all could have been avoided. Diana opted to dismiss the palace security. She was paranoid and thought they were spying on her. Maybe so but....emotions got in the way of reason.
When 3 adults get in a car and CHOOSE not to put on a seatbelt and then are okay with the driver speeding any kind of palace security would not have helped. They made the personal decision not to buckle even with a bodyguard right there.

When 3 adults get in a car and CHOOSE not to put on a seatbelt and then are okay with the driver speeding any kind of palace security would not have helped. They made the personal decision not to buckle even with a bodyguard right there.
Sad but so true.

We'll see (maybe) as more details come out. I think history suggests that they may be exaggerating details but I also think that history suggests that people (not this thread specifically, just general people) are quick to assume that they are making things up.

I can also see that, regardless of how/why the crash that killed Diana happened, Harry might have some level of PTSD-type trauma related to anything even looking like paparazzi causing a "chase'.

According to the NYPD, there were multiple vehicles, including cars, motorcycles and scooters, who surrounded the Sussexes’ vehicle, and were weaving in and out of traffic.
The bolded sounds similar to the gangs of youth many large cities are experiencing who are wilding on unlicensed and unregistered dirt bikes causing all kinds of havoc on streets who police can’t seem to do much about. I run into some myself, and it can be unnerving. There have been incidents of aggression if drivers say anything.

https://www.golocalprov.com/news/ma...costed-him-on-east-side-streets-and-smashed-h

https://globalnews.ca/news/8091544/atv-bike-rider-attack-mom-providence-road-rage/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_hooliganism

I just watch one of probably 500 clips of them. Why did they travel in a plain old yellow taxi? Wouldn’t it had be better in a bigger car with darken windows? Not talking giagantic car, but something where you can sit a bit away from windows.

I just finished Spare and I do have sympathy for Harry. He seems like a lovely fellow and him and Meghan do seem truely in love.

I just watch one of probably 500 clips of them. Why did they travel in a plain old yellow taxi? Wouldn’t it had be better in a bigger car with darken windows? Not talking giagantic car, but something where you can sit a bit away from windows.
The better to see you my dear! Yeah inconspicuous...laying low goes a long,way if there is really a concern.

I just saw the coverage on TMZ Live. They say the incident did take two hours from start to finish. The Sussexes actually had hired FOUR cars for themselves, one for them, two of them were their own security cars, and the fourth was used to block as many paparazzi as possible from following them. So they KNEW they would be followed.

They supposedly stopped at a few police precincts along their drive. Before hopping into a yellow cab, thinking they could use that to get lost in the crowd of yellow cabs. Except, that cab ended up just circling the block back to the precinct, maybe as the driver didn't want to get involved in that drama. And they didn't know if the driver can drive any better than the driver that killed Diana.

When the Sussexes were asked why they didn't just go directly to their destination, they said they were staying with a friend and didn't want to involve them.

Why does it just not occur to them to decide at the moment they are being chased to just stay at a posh hotel and tell their friends they were now going to leave them out of it by going there? One with a back exit. One used to protecting high end guests? And one they can check into and stay for several hours or overnight? Or at least, until they can gather more and better security? It never occurs to them to just STOP and stay in place. Their ONLY option was to get into a car, then a taxi, and back to their car, and do a high speed chase in between???? 🤷‍♀️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter