Marathon Weekend 2023

I like ‘em. The medals end up on my racks at home so they aren’t as important as the included-with-purchase (I refuse to say free) shirts.

Looks like they are trying really hard to have new movement aspects on every medal and I’m not sure that’s in their best interest. Quality over bells and whistles is my preference. The 90’s aesthetic is a hit for me but I’ll withhold judgment until I see them in person. There have been some that I initially liked but, upon receiving, felt cheap and like the movement aspect would break easily. Others didn’t “wow” me to start but the finer details and quality felt better in person.

I like ‘em. The medals end up on my racks at home so they aren’t as important as the included-with-purchase (I refuse to say free) shirts.

Looks like they are trying really hard to have new movement aspects on every medal and I’m not sure that’s in their best interest. Quality over bells and whistles is my preference. The 90’s aesthetic is a hit for me but I’ll withhold judgment until I see them in person. There have been some that I initially liked but, upon receiving, felt cheap and like the movement aspect would break easily. Others didn’t “wow” me to start but the finer details and quality felt better in person.
I also don’t love the trend of full color medals Disney or otherwise as they chip so easily especially if it IS Disney and you are wearing them in park…

Well I guess I’m in the minority…which is funny because I was SO excited for the 90s theme, and they’re clearly sticking to that theme, I’ll give them that.

I’m signed up for the 10K and the marathon. I like the 10K medal, it’s pretty cute. When I saw the marathon medal, my first thought was, and I quote: “OOF.” This one will need to grow on me. I think I was expecting something a little more timeless and classic for a big anniversary year, or something? They raised my expectations with the 20th medal.

Don’t get me wrong, when I get it I’m sure I’ll be like “it’s beautiful, perfection, never been done before 😭” and wear that neon proudly.

Oh and I agree with the “I Did It” on the medal…why???

Other thoughts no one asked for:
- The Goody medal is confusing, why are Chip and Dale on it?
- Pluto medal is SUPER cute. I really love the sunglasses.

Love the medals!! The theme just makes me so happy. I love it! I just hope they don’t chip like last years.

SAFD: Trucking along in training. I have a half at the beginning of Oct and then into Dopey training. Had a little blip during the summer but since then I’ve been able to churn out some high mileage weeks and am hoping to hit a PR in my half. It’ll be my second attempt. Ended up signing up for the springtime surprise challenge so my plan to take a break from running after dopey has been postponed 😂

Well I guess I’m in the minority…which is funny because I was SO excited for the 90s theme, and they’re clearly sticking to that theme, I’ll give them that.

I’m signed up for the 10K and the marathon. I like the 10K medal, it’s pretty cute. When I saw the marathon medal, my first thought was, and I quote: “OOF.” This one will need to grow on me. I think I was expecting something a little more timeless and classic for a big anniversary year, or something? They raised my expectations with the 20th medal.

Don’t get me wrong, when I get it I’m sure I’ll be like “it’s beautiful, perfection, never been done before 😭” and wear that neon proudly.

Oh and I agree with the “I Did It” on the medal…why???

Other thoughts no one asked for:
- The Goody medal is confusing, why are Chip and Dale on it?
- Pluto medal is SUPER cute. I really love the sunglasses.
20th Anniversary medal is still, and will likely always be, my favorite. I’m of two minds on the timeless and classic possibility. On the one hand, I think it really does work for Anniversary medals and could’ve been something special. On the other, I really like that they seem to be making an effort to find a theme across all of the medals. So many years it was a jumble of two or three that looked similar and the rest completely out of left field.

I’ve never understood any of the “I did it” stuff. It feels like condescending to myself about achievements I’m genuinely proud of.

Love the theme in the medals and love the big 30, I just wish there was some cool movement to it. Like a spinner or something. I am sucker to cheesy stuff like that. But overall really pleased with this being my first marathon medal.
Looks to me like the Minnie and Mickey portion is slightly elevated and will likely spin like they are chasing each other. Not 100% on that but I think it’s going to do something.

SAFD
Training overall was going well up until last week. On Tuesday we got the news that our dog, who was a part of our family for about 12.5 years, was very sick, so we made the decision to put him down on Wednesday morning. It was the right call, but also completely heartbreaking. I did get all of my runs in, but the last 2 were done as walks - I didn’t have the energy to run after such an emotionally draining time/lack of appetite/little sleep all week etc. Here’s hoping for a normal, boring week this week where I actually get back to running.

And if you will humor me…I can’t stop myself from sharing a picture of my sweet little Archie. RIP ❤️
C1D345EA-F0EF-4DD8-A1DB-38FDA1DA06BB.jpeg

20th Anniversary medal is still, and will likely always be, my favorite. I’m of two minds on the timeless and classic possibility. On the one hand, I think it really does work for Anniversary medals and could’ve been something special. On the other, I really like that they seem to be making an effort to find a theme across all of the medals. So many years it was a jumble of two or three that looked similar and the rest completely out of left field.

I’ve never understood any of the “I did it” stuff. It feels like condescending to myself about achievements I’m genuinely proud of.
Yeah they are committed, that’s for sure. It definitely works as a set.

I think the oversize anniversary years are terrible. I don't care that it's the 30th marathon, I care that it's my third. Honestly would be happy if the marathon was just the round part with Mickey and Minnie.

And I'm not doing Dopey but I think that one would be better as just Dopey on the triangle background...

SAFD
Training overall was going well up until last week. On Tuesday we got the news that our dog, who was a part of our family for about 12.5 years, was very sick, so we made the decision to put him down on Wednesday morning. It was the right call, but also completely heartbreaking. I did get all of my runs in, but the last 2 were done as walks - I didn’t have the energy to run after such an emotionally draining time/lack of appetite/little sleep all week etc. Here’s hoping for a normal, boring week this week where I actually get back to running.

And if you will humor me…I can’t stop myself from sharing a picture of my sweet little Archie. RIP ❤️
I am so sorry that you lost your dear canine family member.

Better to be safe than sorry. With 2 weeks until race day, the runs you do this week will have a minimal impact on fitness prep for the race itself. So I wouldn't do peak this week and have even a smaller taper. Instead, take solace in knowing that all the other training you've done to date doesn't disappear quickly. So just ease back into training when it's appropriate and then let the race come to you slowly. You could consider some brief strides the week of the race just to give some juice to the legs.
Thank you. I was actually going to message you to ask what you thought. I'll continue to follow the plan as written, and add some strides.

I’m pretty obsessed with the medals tbh. I can see peoples criticisms and why they can be off putting but I’m just fairly easy to please, lol.

SAFD: Training is going well! Ran the Philly 10K and got a PR yesterday despite it being brutally humid. For anyone who did the Springtime 10K this year, it was pretty similar to that. :crazy2: 3 weeks until I do a couple of half marathons and hoping to continue my PR trend. Gonna depend a lot on the weather. While I came to love summer running this year, I will say that I’m finally over the heat and ready for things to cool down. Shouldn’t be too long until that happens though. Just gotta get there…

I’ll also add that I’m really glad I reached out to @DopeyBadger for a plan this year. I’m loving the variety he’s programmed for me and it is keeping everything “fresh” feeling and not monotonous.

SAFD

View attachment 697994
I’m so sorry for your loss. Pet loss is so hard. He joins all the others waiting for us at the bridge. ❤️

I also don’t love the trend of full color medals Disney or otherwise as they chip so easily especially if it IS Disney and you are wearing them in park…

I also don't like how the entire medal is painted, so you don't even see any actual metal. It's like they could be plastic or rubber, and you'd never really know just by looking at it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter