Marathon Weekend 2023

@Ariel484 I am so sorry about your dog. I know how much you guys loved him.

I'm not sure how I feel about the medals TBH. And I am a girl who loves her bling! All my medals are hanging up on display. After 10+ years of racing, my favorite one is still the WDW 20th anniversary marathon medal - that thing is perfection. So based on that comparison, the 30th medal is a huge let down.
BUT - I love how they embraced the theme, and the medals all "go" together.
5K - might be my favorite of the bunch
10K - very cute - looks like the little acorn spins? Worried about the durability of that.
Half - maybe my least favorite
Full - Trying to love it...but I don't think I do. It's the giant 30 (and the "I did it" cheesiness) that I don't like. The artwork on the "0" is pretty cute, especially if Mickey and Minnie spin around
Goofy - actually kinda like it, confused about what is going on but it's unique
Dopey - It's all right, I will probably be in tears when this gets put around my neck so I will love it and be proud no matter what it looks like!

Maybe "I did it" refers to starting, not finishing... :P

Or maybe just getting through registration!

I do like the medals, even though I will never stop arguing they are more 80s than 90s. But that's a good thing for me. My first reaction to the Full medal was super positive -- I like the big 3 because it'll be my third full! But yeah, it's going to be huge and clunky. And I don't love the "I did it" trend either.

At first I wasn’t sure these were the medals. I thought it was more of a virtual challenge from a FB group. Does it seem a little earlier than normal for the medal release?
I do love the 10k medal, but I’m happy I didn’t sign up for MW. Now I’ll wait for the Princess medals.

I have not been following this thread for a bit. I did Dopey for the 2022 Marathon Weekend, but I didn't try to get into marathon weekend. So, this is a dumb question, but why did this past year sell out so quickly? Like I said, I haven't really followed what happened except peripherally. I was a bit burnt out on RunDisney after doing 5 or so MW's, but I am starting to warm to the idea of doing 2024. It seems like it is harder than ever to get in, which I am sort of surprised about since not that long ago, you could wait until almost a month or so before to still sign up for the marathon or even Dopey. Is it pent up demand? Reduced race caps? I am especially wondering because last year I signed up for the race and barely got an onsite hotel—most of them were sold out. This year, it is nearly September and there is a considerable number of onsite hotels available—at least in comparison to last year.

Thoughts?

At first I wasn’t sure these were the medals. I thought it was more of a virtual challenge from a FB group. Does it seem a little earlier than normal for the medal release?
I do love the 10k medal, but I’m happy I didn’t sign up for MW. Now I’ll wait for the Princess medals.
It’s maybe a week earlier than last year? I seem to recall seeing the medal reveal while I was on my Labor Day trip to DL. But I could be misremembering and it was actually later 😆

I have not been following this thread for a bit. I did Dopey for the 2022 Marathon Weekend, but I didn't try to get into marathon weekend. So, this is a dumb question, but why did this past year sell out so quickly? Like I said, I haven't really followed what happened except peripherally. I was a bit burnt out on RunDisney after doing 5 or so MW's, but I am starting to warm to the idea of doing 2024. It seems like it is harder than ever to get in, which I am sort of surprised about since not that long ago, you could wait until almost a month or so before to still sign up for the marathon or even Dopey. Is it pent up demand? Reduced race caps? I am especially wondering because last year I signed up for the race and barely got an onsite hotel—most of them were sold out. This year, it is nearly September and there is a considerable number of onsite hotels available—at least in comparison to last year.

Thoughts?
The days of waiting til a month or so before the event to register are long gone. Last year was first year back after Covid since 2020, so there may have been a little of that, but in general races sell out fast. That's just current situation.

Here's a thread showing sell out dates for the last few years, as an fyi.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/historical-race-weekend-sell-out-timing.3844193/

Goofy - actually kinda like it, confused about what is going on but it's unique

This one is intriguing to me because it seems clear that Goofy spins and there is some type of scene going on behind the opening when it is spun. The quality of the manufacturing and the contents of the scene will determine whether this was good execution or something that was better in theory.

Thoughts?

There were a few years in the 2017-2020 range where races were not selling out as fast (the Marathon, Goofy, and Dopey anyway), but they've been back lightning quick since the return from the pandemic. I think it's pent up demand and not reduced race caps as the races felt very much full in January. Road running is a little cyclical in demand but this feels like it may linger for a while with the Disney races.

As for hotels, I think there is much higher capacity in the hotels now than there was for MW2022 (particularly when they were selling it ahead of time in 2021, when they still had pandemic restrictions and uncertainty). I think they are much closer to full capacity now from both a staffing and restrictions standpoint.

SAFD: Training is going good considering it’s August and the heat sucks. Did 9 yesterday and it was a mixed bag. Cardio felt good and HR was good but I shortened my run interval so that was expected. My PF reared it’s ugly head so time to start working on that again.

The 10k is my favorite of the medals! Not a fan of the 30 or I Did It on the full. Hoping I like it more in person. They’re all definitely different than my other medals!

The MW 2020 and 2022 reveals were on 9/5 the previous year, so this one happening before Labor Day is a bit early.

Now that I'm home and not looking at the medals JUST on my phone, I still stand by my original statement that I do *like* the medals, but looking at the Dopey medal specifically I think I am NOT going to be purchasing a whole "framed sketch and medal" purchase. Will I still be getting a sketch? Of course, but I don't love the medal enough (at this point) to feel OK about the several hundred dollars it would cost.

They really did go hard on the early 90s theming.

I’m so sorry for your loss. Pet loss is so hard. He joins all the others waiting for us at the bridge. ❤️
@Ariel484 i am so sorry for your loss. It is devastating. Give yourself grace. Hopefully you are back on track soon.

Thank you both. It has been awful but I am glad he is at peace now.

@Ariel484 I am so sorry about your dog. I know how much you guys loved him.

Thank you, this means a lot to me. I can only hope that he knew that, too.

Thoughts?
Theme is underrated a bit. When they first announced this one it got a LOT of attention, both within RD communities and outside of it. I would have been in if I wasn’t focused on another marathon.

Otherwise, races do seem to be selling out quicker in general, I think a lot of it is pent-up demand, revenge travel, etc. It’s busy in general over there.

Now that I'm home and not looking at the medals JUST on my phone, I still stand by my original statement that I do *like* the medals, but looking at the Dopey medal specifically I think I am NOT going to be purchasing a whole "framed sketch and medal" purchase. Will I still be getting a sketch? Of course, but I don't love the medal enough (at this point) to feel OK about the several hundred dollars it would cost.

They really did go hard on the early 90s theming.
They did me a favor by leaning in so hard with the 80's design. I have no interest in purchasing merchandise for this race. I hope that they offer nice designs for the Princess Half Marathon.

Someone said they hid a Mickey in the 3 for the marathon medal. Maybe but…I kind of think that’s just how a 3 looks?

View attachment 698050

If the rounded the negative space inside the stems of the three so that the "body" was more rounded, maybe I could see it? All the stems being square makes me think that it's not so much a negative space hidden mickey, but just a 3.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter