Marathon Weekend 2023

If it happens which is a big IF. It will make the rounds. It was everywhere within hours.
I tend to doubt that it will happen again, especially the next race following the leaked race. My daughter really wants to be able to run through the castle rather than getting caught in a crowd of walkers like what happened to us during the HM. It would be nice to know ahead of time if there are characters who we might want to stop for and adjust our pace accordingly. Our plan for now is to skip all character stops until we get to Magic Kingdom unless we see Moana or Merida.

Question for all you seasoned runDisney people: what do you do with the mini medal pins you can buy at the expo? I bought them this year because my friend that I was rooming with said he always gets them and they sell out. He puts them on his medal ribbons when he displays them, but I'm not sure I want to do that. Any other creative ways to display them?

Question for all you seasoned runDisney people: what do you do with the mini medal pins you can buy at the expo? I bought them this year because my friend that I was rooming with said he always gets them and they sell out. He puts them on his medal ribbons when he displays them, but I'm not sure I want to do that. Any other creative ways to display them?
I have pin boards for race pins but I don't get the medal replica pins, I get the logo ones instead. I know a lot of people will use them as ornaments instead. Some will put them on stuffed animals and things as well.

I have never bought pins for exactly this reason. But I do have one pin from my local NPR affiliate which I attached to a tote bag from a local restaurant. So if there's a bag you like and don't mind putting holes in, that's an option.

I have pin boards for race pins but I don't get the medal replica pins, I get the logo ones instead. I know a lot of people will use them as ornaments instead. Some will put them on stuffed animals and things as well.
I hung mine on the tree this year, they looked so nice! Now I wish I had bought the medal replica for my first runDisney race last year but oh well, I'm not paying $50+ for it. I only got the Marathon and Dopey medal replicas given the anniversary, my pockets are not quite deep enough to get all 6 especially if I am doing this all over next year :rotfl:

I didn't even get a sniffle this year which really surprised me. I ran the marathon, spectated the 5&10K and went to the parks.

I was quite sick after W&D last year. Not COVID, but had quite the cough for nearly a week.

I also ran the half marathon in Jan 22 and didn't get sick.

Have you been traveling at all in the last few years? The races themselves are less risky than the flights or park in my experience. Not a doctor, but there are tons of sick children all over the parks which always make me nervous.
I've traveled a bit but I can wear a p100 respirator on a plane, can't do that while running a marathon (at least I can't, maybe others can!)

If I go I'll probably skip the parks this time, I never get a chance to check out the rest of Orlando or even the resorts anyway. Maybe rent some DVC points and stay at a nicer hotel than normal.

eople: what do you do with the mini medal pins you can buy at the expo?
I only have 2 so far and put them on my Mickey nuimo! I kind of want to start a little collection. Since MW/DLRHMW share the same “hosts” next year, I think it’d be cute to get those characters and have them wear their medals.

I have always wanted to put them on a small Christmas tree, but have not done it yet. I buy both the "generic" race pin and the medal replica pin. I pin the generic ones to my medal for display.

I have never bought pins for exactly this reason. But I do have one pin from my local NPR affiliate which I attached to a tote bag from a local restaurant. So if there's a bag you like and don't mind putting holes in, that's an option.
My OCD self is sort of regretting buying the pins now because I feel like I need to do something with them. haha. But I never considered putting them on a bag. I have a boring black backpack which could be fun to decorate with these pins, so maybe I'll consider that. Thanks for the idea!

I'm trying to come up with something to do with mine as well.

For my first half marathon, I bought the medal pin and made it into a keychain. My thought was that after I did Dopey, I would do the same thing with that one, but I don't think the Dopey one will work as well due to the shape/construction.

I have a couple pins from other races (I always pick up the pin from the longest race or challenge that I do). I'm thinking of trying to fashion something to hang on the rearview mirror of my car, but I haven't quite figured out how to attach them to one another so that they hang the way I want them to.

How many of y'all went and *didn't* get sick? I really want to go run the marathon but I also *really* don't want Covid.
I ran both 2022 and 2023 Dopey and didn’t get sick either time. I did get Covid twice outside of Disney and ran a local race last weekend and came down with some sort of cold afterwards. So….logically I take this to mean I should spend more time at Disney, of course 🙃

No post-Dopey sickness here.

Sounds silly I guess but I try to keep my immune system charged with a probiotic supplement, garlic, vitamin C, etc and I make sure to keep it up when traveling. Happy gut/microbiome and all that. Serious knock on wood, but I rarely get really sick, and I travel/am in large group settings a lot.

Probably a bunch or hooey and I’m just lucky, but it seems to work for me.

And now that I’ve said that out loud I’m probably toast after my next runD weekend! 😂

Sounds silly I guess but I try to keep my immune system charged with a probiotic supplement, garlic, vitamin C, etc and I make sure to keep it up when traveling. Happy gut/microbiome and all that. Serious knock on wood, but I rarely get really sick, and I travel/am in large group settings a lot.
I need whatever plan you're on hahaha.

I've done 4 marathon weekends at this point and haven't gotten sick at any of them, although I did have a cold the week before flying down for the 2019 Dopey. No special precautions, no masking unless required to, no changes to normal diet (well, besides quite a bit more sugar and fats from Disney food...), just routine handwashing and trying to physically avoid people obviously symptomatic.

Of course, luck finally ran out and caught Covid for the first time 3 weeks after getting back from this years Dopey. Not 100% certain where I got it, but since 1/5 of my workplace went out with it at the same time it was definitely in the air.

How many of y'all went and *didn't* get sick? I really want to go run the marathon but I also *really* don't want Covid.
No sickness here and I did this and the princess last year. I have autoimmune disorder so I am careful. I wear a mask indoors and I get all the covid shots I can get. When we were at Disney we try to always eat outdoors if possible. So our reservations at Wine by George we ate outside and Spice Road Table we asked to eat out side too. So that helps.
I am high school history teacher and wear my mask at school and have a personal filter in my classroom. So far I have not gotten covid yet. So it is possible.

No sickness here and I did this and the princess last year. I have autoimmune disorder so I am careful. I wear a mask indoors and I get all the covid shots I can get. When we were at Disney we try to always eat outdoors if possible. So our reservations at Wine by George we ate outside and Spice Road Table we asked to eat out side too. So that helps.
I am high school history teacher and wear my mask at school and have a personal filter in my classroom. So far I have not gotten covid yet. So it is possible.
Sounds like we've been taking similar precautions, I'm at 3+ years and still haven't gotten it and I'm hoping to keep it that way. I was hoping things would die down some with vaccines but it looks this is just the way things are now

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the Rise and Run podcast from Jan 26 (ep 69) has an interview with Katy Cargiulo, the women's marathon winner in 2023, and it's sooooo interesting. She broke her back and 4 ribs in 2022, 7 months before the WDW marathon, and this was her first race since the accident (she hit a DEER while on a bike during an Ironman race). She had NO expectations of winning, was just running it for fun with her fiance and his daughter. I found the whole interview completely fascinating. Highly recommend!

Sounds like we've been taking similar precautions, I'm at 3+ years and still haven't gotten it and I'm hoping to keep it that way. I was hoping things would die down some with vaccines but it looks this is just the way things are now
Same here. It’s disappointing, isn’t it? I get ugly looks and comments at work because I wear a mask outside of my personal office, so that’s a lot of fun. But if that happens at WDW, it must be really subtle and infrequent, because not once have I seen it or been made to feel uncomfortable, so I hope that helps you some with thinking about the races! And I was genuinely surprised to find at the first “post-COVID” race I ran that I really could run-walk pretty comfortably in a KN95 mask. It made my return to racing a lot less anxious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter