Magical Express Replacement

I personally don’t think so. I don’t think leadership is interested in keeping around perks that don’t result in extra revenue. While people here claim that it was paid for by everyone included in the hotel rate, the fact that they haven’t lowered hotel rates shows that’s not true. Disney viewed it as an out of pocket expense and I don’t think they have any interest in paying for it again. They said in the announcement itself that guests can figure out their own way to get to the resort. I think there is a remote possibility of them partnering with Mears for a paid service but the free transportation is certainly over.
I disagree. I think it was included even though it was touted as free. Disney doesn't do anything for free. The fact that they haven't lowered the rates for anything despite the lack of things right now doesn't prove that it wasn't built in the price. What it does prove is that Disney knows that they can charge whatever they want and people will still pay it. As proven by the fact that even tho so many things are still missing "due to covid" people are still going and paying the same high prices they paid prior to Covid with far less being offered. And ME is covered under the transportation line for DVC, but you can bet we will not see a reduction in dues next year. They will move it into something else and still raise dues citing inflation or something else.

What it does prove is that Disney knows that they can charge whatever they want and people will still pay it.

You hit the nail on the head. Chapek is convinced it's not neccessary to give incentives and guests are proving it every day since they re-opened. As long as people are willing to settle for less and pay more, that's exactly what we'll all get. I am firmly in the camp of not going back until things are back to normal and while I've never had a trip off site in the 30+ years I've been going, won't be staying at a Disney resort until they give me more reason to than a bubble. Right now, there's nothing.

Edited to add: Fireworks, that's all it took to blow my resolve. LOL

Last edited:

I'm not quite caught up in this thread but with the new MEARS service taking over are they not offering baggage check at the resorts or is it not finalized yet??
Unknown but Disney painted over the RAC signs. Guest paid RAC at resorts hasn't taken off. I'm surprised Swan Dolphin never offered RAC as a paid service. RAC results in fewer bags stored by bell services after check out. RAC, and incoming baggage, relieves some of the space constraints at MCO. I have no idea if either MCO or WDW has enough motivation to directly or indirectly subsidize either service.

Having the transportation, baggage, MDE, the meals, magic band payment and general experiences etc can make us feel we are being taken care of which allows the paying grown-ups become the “child” again even if for just the length of the trip. That’s hard to beat. If Disney can’t do it, then I’m likely to split my interests.

Having the transportation, baggage, MDE, the meals, magic band payment and general experiences etc can make us feel we are being taken care of which allows the paying grown-ups become the “child” again even if for just the length of the trip. That’s hard to beat. If Disney can’t do it, then I’m likely to split my interests.

Precisely, the whole point of Disney is to explore your inner child used to be a Disney stay meant locking your phone in the safe for 2 weeks. Now Chapek rubs your face in reality because you must use phone to access Disney’s creaking website so that means you are taking calls and doing work email all the while you are at the park

Along those lines, I'm super curious to see what happens with Magical Express. I loved checking my bags at our home airport, then not thinking about them until they showed up at our resort. Managing kids and luggage, then also coordinating transportation is going to make travel day a major headache.

I read ... somewhere ... that Mears is going to do the shuttle, for a price, of course. BUT, you are going to have to schlep your own luggage. When a friend extolled the benefits of staying on-site the luggage thing was huge.

Along those lines, I'm super curious to see what happens with Magical Express. I loved checking my bags at our home airport, then not thinking about them until they showed up at our resort. Managing kids and luggage, then also coordinating transportation is going to make travel day a major headache.

They were actually 2 separate things.

Magical Express is the bus ride, operated by Mears. They said they will continue (for a price).

The luggage service was run by a separate company, Bags Inc. From all reports, that’s gone for good.

They were actually 2 separate things.

Magical Express is the bus ride, operated by Mears. They said they will continue (for a price).

The luggage service was run by a separate company, Bags Inc. From all reports, that’s gone for good.

Irrelevant that the service was run by two separate vendors.

Customers saw it as an integrated service.

You check your bags at your home airport and you and them magically show up at your resort of choice.

Totally. I understand that the bus and the bags were it two separate companies, but Disney contracted with both of them to provide one service - that's why they called them "Magical Express Luggage Tags".

With Mears, we'll wait and see what that service will look like and how much it will cost. I've heard $30-40 per person, one way. That's going to add up quickly, and an Uber might be more economical, though more inconvenient (especially if you've got to deal with luggage anyway. The luggage handling was a HUGE perk.

Maybe a new company will step in and do the luggage part (and charge for it). That has to be much easier to handle logistically to cart bags than people.
If I were to fly in, I'd pay to have my luggage delivered and Uber the family.

Irrelevant that the service was run by two separate vendors.

Customers saw it as an integrated service.

You check your bags at your home airport and you and them magically show up at your resort of choice.

I mentioned it because Mears has said they will be offering service starting 1/1. They are not including the bag service, they were not involved in that.

Maybe a new company will step in and do the luggage part (and charge for it). That has to be much easier to handle logistically to cart bags than people.
If I were to fly in, I'd pay to have my luggage delivered and Uber the family.

Bags, INC. was purchased. The new company still does the same thing, so they COULD be contracted to provide the same service locally. However, I have not heard rumblings of anything yet, and interestingly who would be the person to do it? Mears can't really handle your bags on property without Disney's consent, and Disney is not in the game right now. So without Disney's participation, it's going to be difficult for anyone to get it going.

recently back from a trip. I'm curious if MCO will step into conversation of Disney handling bags again, you're going across the airport with bags and crowds of people all doing it through crowds of people. It's not a pretty scene.

recently back from a trip. I'm curious if MCO will step into conversation of Disney handling bags again, you're going across the airport with bags and crowds of people all doing it through crowds of people. It's not a pretty scene.
It's not just people crossing the airport from A side to B side to catch DME - it's people crossing the airport from B side to A side, because that's where the car rental services are now. So it's not just the lack of luggage handling that used to be associated with DME (under separate contract with BAGS Inc.) that's causing the issue, and I doubt that Disney would re-establish a contract with BAGS Inc. for such a short period of time. I hope the car rental services on side B will reopen soon, which would help. And maybe Mears Connect will operate from both sides - no word on that yet, of course.

I personally don’t think so. I don’t think leadership is interested in keeping around perks that don’t result in extra revenue. While people here claim that it was paid for by everyone included in the hotel rate, the fact that they haven’t lowered hotel rates shows that’s not true. Disney viewed it as an out of pocket expense and I don’t think they have any interest in paying for it again. They said in the announcement itself that guests can figure out their own way to get to the resort. I think there is a remote possibility of them partnering with Mears for a paid service but the free transportation is certainly over.

Disney is still offering the service through December 31. No reason to lower prices before that date if they even have that in mind. Let's wait and see but either way, we are all getting "hurt" (politically correct for what they are really doing to us).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!