Magical Express Replacement

@beckymouse
It's a HUGE deal for us. You are not alone by any means, or even in the minority
Wont ever do ride share.
Looking forward to reinstatement or Mears replacement.

Yeah but there aren’t many families that have three kids in car seats all at the same time so 2 car seats will work for the vast majority.
Not us though. I have 3 in carseats and 1 in a booster. I think bigger families are most hit with this as other options aren't available. It's a 2 day drive for us but at this point, that's our only option.

So is anyone thinking that Disney might just reconsider the end of ME?
I personally don’t think so. I don’t think leadership is interested in keeping around perks that don’t result in extra revenue. While people here claim that it was paid for by everyone included in the hotel rate, the fact that they haven’t lowered hotel rates shows that’s not true. Disney viewed it as an out of pocket expense and I don’t think they have any interest in paying for it again. They said in the announcement itself that guests can figure out their own way to get to the resort. I think there is a remote possibility of them partnering with Mears for a paid service but the free transportation is certainly over.

Personally, I don’t think so. I think Disney is ready to stop paying for DME and let Mears operate the same type of service, competing with rideshare/taxis, limos and rental cars.

I have zero doubt that by the time DME is supposed to end in six months, Disney will have something else in place. I don't know whether it will be a voucher for the Mears service or just the decision to extend/unretire DME, but I do not believe Disney will turn the delivery of its resort guests over to whoever happens to be at the airport. They made the decision to get rid of DME in the middle of COVID, when none of us were sure we'd ever feel comfortable on a crowded bus again. Since the concensus mindset seems to have changed since then, I think Disney will reconsider this decision in one way or the other and provide some sort of complimentary transport to and from the airport. I'm not sure they'll go back to luggage handling, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did, and I dont' knwo whether they'll offer airline check in. But they'll have a way to get guest from the resort tot he airport and vis a versa.

I still don't get why Disney didn't just start charging for DME. Most of us are already familiar with using the service, sure there would be grumbling, but I'd rather pay for a service I've already used than try to figure out something new. Why did they leave money on the table 🤷‍♀️

I still don't get why Disney didn't just start charging for DME. Most of us are already familiar with using the service, sure there would be grumbling, but I'd rather pay for a service I've already used than try to figure out something new. Why did they leave money on the table 🤷‍♀️

Fundamentally current Disney management is both lazy and cheap, They have done nothing but build hotels, raise prices and cut amenities because they assume the Disney ‘brand’ is bulletproof.

I laughed when TDO hired Sam Lau from SFO where he managed SF’s mass transit systems. They would not allow him to actually do his job because the changes needed (dynamic bus routing etc) would cost money. This is just one more lazy act

Fundamentally current Disney management is both lazy and cheap, They have done nothing but build hotels, raise prices and cut amenities because they assume the Disney ‘brand’ is bulletproof.

I laughed when TDO hired Sam Lau from SFO where he managed SF’s mass transit systems. They would not allow him to actually do his job because the changes needed (dynamic bus routing etc) would cost money. This is just one more lazy act
Isn't adding a fee for DME the perfect solution for lazy/cheap though? Keep the service the same, add a $50.00 USD (or whatever) charge per person when booking?

Isn't adding a fee for DME the perfect solution for lazy/cheap though? Keep the service the same, add a $50.00 USD (or whatever) charge per person when booking?
Free is what generated the volume necessary to support frequent service and luggage handling. Charging a fee might significantly reduce ridership reducing service.

Mears will offer the service. Mears will get the complaints regarding "high fees and bad service". it's win win for Disney, even if Disney doesn't charge Mears a fee to operate on WDW property. Win win for Disney even if you don't include commissions earned by Disney when guests book Mears transfers through the Disney booking engine.

Assume posters are correct. Assume the lack of free DME starts to have an impact on bookings. Easy for Disney to include free transfers (paying mears a discounted wholesale rate) to guests who book a package including tickets and (lightly discounted) dining.

it what I would have done in their shoes, Looks like only looking at expense side of ledger. they just wanted to wash their hands of it and say somebody else’s problem

Free is what generated the volume necessary to support frequent service and luggage handling. Charging a fee might significantly reduce ridership reducing service.

Mears will offer the service. Mears will get the complaints regarding "high fees and bad service". it's win win for Disney, even if Disney doesn't charge Mears a fee to operate on WDW property. Win win for Disney even if you don't include commissions earned by Disney when guests book Mears transfers through the Disney booking engine.

Assume posters are correct. Assume the lack of free DME starts to have an impact on bookings. Easy for Disney to include free transfers (paying mears a discounted wholesale rate) to guests who book a package including tickets and (lightly discounted) dining.

good points but this is brain dead marketing, Look at Sandals for instance airfare and transportation to resort are included in your package. So your vacation begins when you settle into your airline seat. Think of the amount of traffic this drove for Disney because vacations began once on the plane.

If Disney want to cater to the rich only better get the STOLport out of mothballs so their customers can just fly directly to the resort. The only thing missing will be Ricardo Montalban and Herve Villeschiaze.

Last edited:
good points but this is brain dead marketing, Look at Sandals for instance airfare and transportation to resort are included in your package. So your vacation begins when you settle into your airline seat.
good points but this is brain dead marketing, Look at Sandals for instance airfare and transportation to resort are included in your package. So your vacation begins when you settle into your airline seat.
This is an excellent example, because outside of WDW trips, 95% of the time I book from tour operators offering all-inclusive trips which cover everything, including flights/airport transport etc... I am just willing to pay more knowing that there will be a nice air-conditioned coach waiting for me at the airport, and everything is taken care of.

I agree with your point but its an apple vs oranges comparison. Sandals is promoting an all-inclusive experience including airport transfers AND meals, adult beverages, activities and I think room service...Disney offers a la carte pricing. Park admission, meals, drinks and soon transfers are extra.

Disney could offer complimentary transfers to guests who book a package.

I agree with your point but its an apple vs oranges comparison. Sandals is promoting an all-inclusive experience including airport transfers AND meals, adult beverages, activities and I think room service...Disney offers a la carte pricing. Park admission, meals, drinks and soon transfers are extra.

Disney could offer complimentary transfers to guests who book a package.

WDW once had a all inclusive package it was called the ‘Gold Key’ program for the price of your room added onto your room, you could do everything and eat anywhere in WDW for no additional charge.

WDW once had a all inclusive package it was called the ‘Gold Key’ program for the price of your room added onto your room, you could do everything and eat anywhere in WDW for no additional charge.
I have no doubt if Disney brought back this program it would include transfers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter