Land Border Opening?

Have been watching our PM take questions live from the G7 summit for the past hour… he was asked about the border reopening and the resumption of travel between Canada & the US. I was disappointed but not surprised to hear him say that we are no where near that happening right now. He stated we have a ways to go before non essential travel for Canadians will resume. He would not be pinned down to a date or estimated date.. but made sure to mention that our government and the American administration continue to talk and plan toward a full reopening. No mention of the testing requirements for air travelers being ceased or modified - no one asked those questions.

As always… lots of “political speak/double talk - but little useful information
. Smh.

Have been watching our PM take questions live from the G7 summit for the past hour… he was asked about the border reopening and the resumption of travel between Canada & the US. I was disappointed but not surprised to hear him say that we are no where near that happening right now. He stated we have a ways to go before non essential travel for Canadians will resume. He would not be pinned down to a date or estimated date.. but made sure to mention that our government and the American administration continue to talk and plan toward a full reopening. No mention of the testing requirements for air travelers being ceased or modified - no one asked those questions.

As always… lots of “political speak/double talk - but little useful information
. Smh.
ugh… didn’t see your post when I asked the question above… Canada doesn’t want us to travel still… but with the new rules coming for air travel we might go in August anyway if fully vaccinated.

I don’t know the numbers, but I think it certainly depends on the person, some would rather stay in Florida right now even if positivity rate is higher, especially if vaccinated than be very restricted and locked down in Ontario. Our friends with dual citizenship chose to move down to FL a couple of months ago, at least for a few months. Their whole family said their mental health improved, the feel once again they are loving life where in Ontario both the kids and the mom were not doing well psychologically. They are all fully vaccinated, wear masks indoors (most places still required masks indoors in FL) and yes they feel safe.
Apparently there are a lot of people who left Ontario in the past few months. At the same time there are people that would not feel safe going to FL or elsewhere in the States right now. Nobody is wrong. What works for me and my family may not work for the family next door. Personally if I could live down there for a few months, I would. Some people may disagree.That’s ok.
Being fully vaccinated I’d feel safe in Florida. But I wouldn’t throw caution to the wind either. I will mask inside, and eat outside where possible.

ugh… didn’t see your post when I asked the question above… Canada doesn’t want us to travel still… but with the new rules coming for air travel we might go in August anyway if fully vaccinated.
Our flights are booked. If we get any info on driving across I may change my flights to leave out of Seattle. We’ll be fully vaccinated as of Tuesday!

My family will travel for leisure at the end of august if fully vaccinated. We are not going to wait for another lockdown or seasonal resurgence of covid and wish we went. It can be done safely. Now, it depends on many factors but not ruling it out.
I hope and pray no more lockdowns and they actually reopen fully come fall but nothing would surprise me anymore.

We are moving so quickly with vaccine roll out now. I think by July most of us that want it will have our 2nd jab.
My Adult daughter is really looking forward to Aug trip that was postponed from last Aug. and if we can’t travel this Aug, she has to wait another year to get her vacation as that’s when she can take off work. I’m banking on official word that quarantine will be lifted.

Driving back into Canada later this week. It’s interesting planning the test and times for the day we drive over. Keep hearing how bad it is in the Waterloo region. It’s so safe in Florida there’s not much talk about COVID anymore. Life is basically normal here. Going to be strange being in a place that’s shut down and so many people are afraid.
I’m a Canadian Citizen and a US permanent resident. I live in Ohio and I’m fully vaccinated. I’m currently in Canada visiting my family and it is so different from how things are in Ohio. Everything in Ohio is open and even the mask mandate has been lifted. Ontario is just coming out of a lockdown and most things are still closed. It honestly feels like Ohio felt in April 2020. I went to the grocery store and they still have the arrows on the ground and they were disinfecting the belt between customers. The restaurants are only open for takeout or outside on the patio and all the stores at the mall are closed. I’m not saying that’s a good thing or a bad thing, I’m just noting how different my experience here has been.

I should warn you that they are taking the 14 day quarantine period VERY seriously here. I actually had someone from the health department come and knock on the door and check to make sure I was there on day 8. Also, if you can get a Covid test at the border, do it there and don’t take it to the place you are doing your quarantine. I had to wait 90 minutes for a nurse to do the test online. Much quicker at the border.

So I’m confused about kids. Say everyone else travelling is fully vaccinated. Could you still avoid the hotel quarantine, but say have them isolate for 2 weeks?

And would it be ok for them to isolate with other people who didn’t travel but are fully vaccinated?

I’m thinking all of us except for my youngest will be fully vaccinated by the end of July. So we could always do an august trip and have him isolate for 2 weeks before school starts. But my DH won’t be going with us.

We are moving so quickly with vaccine roll out now. I think by July most of us that want it will have our 2nd jab.
My Adult daughter is really looking forward to Aug trip that was postponed from last Aug. and if we can’t travel this Aug, she has to wait another year to get her vacation as that’s when she can take off work. I’m banking on official word that quarantine will be lifted.

I’m on my third trip rebook.. We were booked for June 2020, which I moved to December of 2020 then stopped booking replacement trips because there was (is?) no end in sight.

With the news the other day… I booked for mid February 2022. I booked packages since the deposit is lower and i’m booking 2 rooms. Final payment comes up in January and I can cancel (again…) anytime until then - no penalty. I’m not booking flights for several months knowing that both legacy carriers (AC & WJ) have always had very good seat sales in the fall and I expect them to this year as well.

All in all… I’m guardedly optimistic that the third time will be the charm. As long as no more variants show up to spoil the fun.

Last edited:
So I’m confused about kids. Say everyone else travelling is fully vaccinated. Could you still avoid the hotel quarantine, but say have them isolate for 2 weeks?

And would it be ok for them to isolate with other people who didn’t travel but are fully vaccinated?

I’m thinking all of us except for my youngest will be fully vaccinated by the end of July. So we could always do an august trip and have him isolate for 2 weeks before school starts. But my DH won’t be going with us.

The question becomes - if they are not fully vaccinated (2 shots plus the 14 days for immunity to take hold) how will they be able to let children board flights here in Canada to go anywhere?

Have I missed or misinterpreted something along the jumble of ever changing info?

That's what a lot of us are still waiting on for clarification. I'd like to book something for mid August when DH and I will be fully vaccinated along with our 12/13 yr old. Then that just leaves our 10 yr old unvaxxed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter