• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Land Border Opening?

Apparently the premiers are having a meeting on Thursday with the PM (virtual of course) to discuss all things border related (air,land and sea). So we should start to get a clearer idea of things going forward in a matter of days.

FYI, the Walgreens Rapid ID Now test is an NAAT test and works for re-entry to Canada. Lots of locations near WDW.

There is also rapid PCR testing at MCO, but it’s pricey.
I thought we needed a PCR for re-entry to Canada? Good to know about Walgreens. Did you notice the $

Wouldn't we all like to look in that crystal ball.
Not a crystal ball, but a plan. Plans can be modified. I for one would like to know what targets i.e. vaccine level, case level...they are looking for. I don't think they should throw caution to the winds, but it would be nice if there was a plan and the Canadian people were informed about it.

Another good read today.
At this point in the pandemic it’s clear it’s more than just us being extra cautious.
I still hope those in charge actually start making decisions based on science and open the border to those vaccinated to start.
Fingers crossed this summer, I agree with those that say a plan forward is needed asap.
I don’t think it’s too much to ask for.
Edited to add: those in other provinces should really feel for us here in Ontario. I’m saying that jokingly but I believe the current level of frustration/fatigue depends where in Canada you live. In Ontario indoor dining at restaurants won’t be open til sometime in August, hair salons sometime in July...
We might have a bit less patience for everything in Ontario ;)
Let’s be kind and understanding:)
https://apple.news/AXPYXnM4KQVK6wBF_1ZLIRw

I think this week is sort of a deadline for people with jobs planning summer vacation. Air fares and hotels need to be booked very soon and time off of work needs to be organized. There needs to be some specific dates soon.

I don't think the Feds really care about its citizens summer vacations. That isn't high on their list of priorities. Unfortunately.

Not a crystal ball, but a plan. Plans can be modified. I for one would like to know what targets i.e. vaccine level, case level...they are looking for. I don't think they should throw caution to the winds, but it would be nice if there was a plan and the Canadian people were informed about it.
I said Crystal ball because it's a peek at what the future holds.

The other thing to consider is the Delta variant. Maybe the powers that be know more than they are saying about the possible explosion of Delta variant cases unless they take it slow and monitor things carefully. I personally don't want another wave of this thing and if it means we stay confined a little longer so that we don't have another wave I'm all for it.

Don't get me wrong I want to be out there and moving just like everyone else. I have so many trips planned in my head I don't know if I have time enough to take them all.

The other thing to consider is the Delta variant. Maybe the powers that be know more than they are saying about the possible explosion of Delta variant cases unless they take it slow and monitor things carefully. I personally don't want another wave of this thing and if it means we stay confined a little longer so that we don't have another wave I'm all for it.

Don't get me wrong I want to be out there and moving just like everyone else. I have so many trips planned in my head I don't know if I have time enough to take them all.
The article I linked above does mention the delta variant and how effective vaccine is after one and two doses.
Also - fully vaccinated people in Canada should have a clearer direction then they currently do.
Nobody is saying open to everyone right now.

My understanding is that a major sticky point is being able to verify that people have their 2 doses of vaccine. They need a reliable way to do that otherwise people will just claim they are to be able to do what they want. It isn't as easy as it sounds, especially if you factor in other countries

My understanding is that a major sticky point is being able to verify that people have their 2 doses of vaccine. They need a reliable way to do that otherwise people will just claim they are to be able to do what they want. It isn't as easy as it sounds, especially if you factor in other countries
I completely agree but we knew for months this was coming. Other countries already have a system ready to go, from the sounds of it we are maybe starting to work on it.

Last night we were talking about if we could go early to mid November to California how we would work it with testing etc. Then hubby wondered what employers might have in place for this. For example if we came home on a Friday, Tested (not sure if we would be tested at airport or have to book appt) Hopefully got test results back before Sunday then back to work Monday. Now if someone tested positive and you had to take an extra 2 weeks off work would be scrambling to cover your shifts etc.

So will employers be able to put restrictions on where you can go or when etc

I am such a planner that I will have to figure every possible angle out before going.

I completely agree but we knew for months this was coming. Other countries already have a system ready to go, from the sounds of it we are maybe starting to work on it.
i know in BC we have a provincial health web site -Health Gateway, it shows all your lab tests incl Covid. But we need a national one, there has been talk about incorporating it into the Arrive Canada app already in use.
I read the US govt isn’t going to provide anything official but doesn‘t mean a private company won’t step into the void.

Last night we were talking about if we could go early to mid November to California how we would work it with testing etc. Then hubby wondered what employers might have in place for this. For example if we came home on a Friday, Tested (not sure if we would be tested at airport or have to book appt) Hopefully got test results back before Sunday then back to work Monday. Now if someone tested positive and you had to take an extra 2 weeks off work would be scrambling to cover your shifts etc.

I am such a planner that I will have to figure every possible angle out before going.
yikes, I hope not! About employer restrictions. We return on Saturday and banking on dd being able to go to work Monday. People here have been getting test results back same or next day. Although dont know about airport location. Hopefully same thing. I think the likelihood of getting a positive test being fully vaccinated is slim.

I think this is a very real possibility. Especially for those who work with the public. Dh works for regional government. I know they put something into place right away regarding no travel but I don’t know the specifics. It is going to bring up a lot of legal issues as well . Could a private employer require a quarantine period even if our government ends it, for example . This is all so unprecedented.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter