Kids' Programming

MissyMouse88

Earning My Ears
We are scheduled to go on the 5-day Bahamian cruise in August. This is our first Disney cruise, but we often go to WDW. We will be on the cruise with our daughter, age 7, and two sons, ages 5 and 4.

In your experience, how much time do the kids WANT to spend in the kids' clubs on the cruises? I am used to all of us being together every moment for our vacations, and I am having trouble wrapping my head around this concept.

Also, we have booked no excursions as we have not found one that interests us that accommodates all of our children's ages. What will (or should we do) on Castaway Cay?

Thanks in advance for your expertise!

Congrats on your first Disney cruise, you will be hooked :thumbsup2

In terms of how much time kids want to spend in the club...well, it depends on each individual child, what kind of temperament, personality, etc. they have. Since you have three, they can stick together in the Lab/Club if that's what they are used to. If they want/need you, the counsellors will text you, so no need to worry about them.

When we are on Castaway Cay, we just find a spot on the family beach and spend the day playing in the water and in the sand, and grabbing some lunch nearby, no need for us to spend money on excursions. Also, the Lab/Club operates on shore Castaway Cay at Scuttle's Cove, so you can check the kids in there for island activities if you would like to check out Serenity Bay.

On our first cruise DS5 didn't want to leave the club and DD3 didn't want anything to do with the club. Now at 12 & 10 they are still the exact same. LOL! It just depends on the kids. On CC we just enjoy the day in a lounger under an umbrella while the kids play. The water is fairly shallow for a ways out and with everything you need so close, it's perfect IMO. That last day is all about relaxing and forgetting about the fact that they are going to kick you off the ship in the a.m. ;)

On our first Disney Cruise our daughters (then 10 and 6) didn;t want to leave the clubs. They even stayed there most of the day while my wife and I explored much of Nassau.

The staff is great and the kids enjoy playing with others.

As far as excursions, we did the Sunshine Glass Bottom Boat ride and each of us found it very fun.

Kevin

We went on our frist cruise to Alaska in May. My girls (7&4) loved the club. They didn't want to leave. They generally spent anywhere from 2 to 4 hours there during the day and then still asked to go after dinner when they would go for another hour to an hour and a half. They were very sad on the last night we went to pick them up and they took off thier Mickey bands when we left.

I can't answer to Bahamas question but will read along since hopefully that will be our next cruise.

My kids are like lbgraves'

My son always loved the clubs and would spend as much time there as we would allow, except for meal times which he did not enjoy. We generally let him go from right after lunch until time to get ready for dinner/show and then back again after dinner until closing if he wanted to.

DD has never cared for the children's programming on DCL and has, at mot, gone to one half hour activity once in a while. Some cruises she never even sets foot in the rooms.

You never know until YOUR kids are there what they might think of it.

Both of our kids, DD 5 and DS 3 LOVED the clubs. They'd beg to go back and never once asked the counselors to call us to pick them up. There was something for each type of child there... quiet alone activities like coloring/crafting, or big groups doing the crafts, as well as group games and activities. They both went to Scuttles Cove on Castaway Cay too and my DD, especially, loved that. She went back to that the second stop of CC, while my DS preferred not to . You'll just have to wait and see but it was a great club.
The kids really loved when the characters showed up in the club too!

My kids liked particular activities in the Kids Clubs but had no interest in just hanging out there. They preferred the pool.

Our kids (DD-8 and DS 5) seemed to get bored playing alone even with the new stuff on the Dream when they chose not to do an activity. DS liked the video games. DD liked the activities, especially the cupcake decorating. Unfortunately, we spent a good amount of time going back and forth picking up and dropping off. We headed that off during the POTC 4 showing and told them we wouldn't pick them up until the movie ended. We didn't get a single text or call from them. You need time away too so you may consider that an option. Good luck, but I think you'll all have a great time!

I did not utilize the clubs as child care, but a place to go and hang out with them while they just play and explore. I sometimes held back and let them play on their own or they would want me to play with them. I brought them once a day for about an hour. The rest of the time was pool, aquaduck, shuffleboard, midship detective agency, or whatever as a family. It is never my intent to drop them off because that is just not what I want to do on my vacation, so don't feel like you have to utilize it in that way. I met a family at the terminal who also don't use the clubs, and I doubt we are the only ones. So I reccomend just seeing how it all plays out. I don't think you will really know until you get there and see it all for yourself. Have fun!

Our kids are very shy and it takes them awhile to warm up to new things/places, but they LOVED the clubs. So much so that we were able to use it as a reward for things like good behavior in the dining rooms (can't go to the club after dinner if you don't behave). They would have spent much more time in there than we permitted, it is a family vacation after all :) So we limited clubs to after dinner and a few hours each sea day while DH and I lounged by the adult pool. We still did our meals, shows, ports, etc. together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter