Is Walt Disney World going to 100% security screenings at the parks?

the reports I read is 5000 caught at various transit centers and venues

The problem with quoting this number is that we have no idea how many were NOT caught, which is the whole problem. You can't point at only one number in an equation and determine the effectiveness. It's also unclear that people were going to USE said weapons to do harm. There's a lot of relevant information missing.

Last year, the TSA missed 95% of all mock bombs and explosives in tests to determine the effectiveness of the policies. They only caught 5%, and still, no terror attacks. And we're supposed to think Disney security is going to be any better? Even if they're 100% better, it's still not effective enough to justify the hassle. You can say it's not security theater, but that would only be true if they were actually effective.

The problem with quoting this number is that we have no idea how many were NOT caught, which is the whole problem. You can't point at only one number in an equation and determine the effectiveness. It's also unclear that people were going to USE said weapons to do harm. There's a lot of relevant information missing.

Last year, the TSA missed 95% of all mock bombs and explosives in tests to determine the effectiveness of the policies. They only caught 5%, and still, no terror attacks. And we're supposed to think Disney security is going to be any better? Even if they're 100% better, it's still not effective enough to justify the hassle. You can say it's not security theater, but that would only be true if they were actually effective.

Yes let's look at the other numbers I stated and you left out.

You ignored all the other numbers like Over 1843 guns stopped., of which 1400 were loaded.

Try.. blog.Tsa.Gov

What these numbers of weapons shows is what they stopped. So again....not theater....facts.

No one ever said the tsa and the other seciurty systems were perfect. But they find and stop alot more then we are.told.

The seciurty systems used, the wands and front line screenings is only one part. A great deal goes on behind the scenes, including seciurity personnel watching for body langiage, clothong, facial expressions. Add compurter screenings, facial ID, etc, etc, etc.

So we will keep the security systems at all venues to protect us all. I really don't care if it delays anyone a few minutes....if it makes my.family.safer.

As I pointed out before I did not see a person say they were ready to fly in a plane with passingers unvetted.

Of couse just saying so here is meaningless.

Ps....really??? people carrying loaded guns on planes....what they were going to do?..even if it was only one.....determined person to do a evil act, it's worth the entire system.

The rumour is Disney seciurty at WDW stopped 2 people with loaded guns, trying to get into the parks......it was not confirmed by WDW. So take it for what it's worth.

The world has had many terroist attacks including 3 planes downed. We are waiting how that one will shake out, but rigth now things are pointing to a terror attack. Seems the experts saying a plane attack is unlikely, need to rethink their position.

The fact we have these seciurty systems and as much of the rest of the world does not, the systems are preventing the terrorists from being successfull here.

Of course there was the California attack last year, however that biulding did not have proper screening system in place. Maybe if they did all those people would not have been murdered.

So again....no theater at all.

AKK

Last edited:
Yes let's look at the other numbers I stated and you left out.

You ignored all the other numbers like Over 1843 guns stopped., of which 1400 were loaded.

Try.. blog.Tsa.Gov

Again, these numbers lack context. 1400 loaded guns doesn't mean a thing if those guns weren't carried by individuals intending to use them to do harm. And 1843 guns stopped out of . . . how many? Unknown.

What these numbers of weapons shows is what they stopped. So again....not theater....facts.

Stopped them from carrying, but didn't necessarily stop them from carrying out a terrorist attack, because we don't KNOW that they were going to be used as such.

A great deal goes on behind the scenes, including seciurity personnel watching for body langiage, clothong, facial expressions. Add compurter screenings, facial ID, etc, etc, etc.

All of which are far more effective, don't create new problems, and are unobtrusive.

if it makes my.family.safer.

You don't know if it actually does, statistically. But it obviously makes you FEEL better.

As I pointed out before I did not see a person say they were ready to fly in a plane with passingers unvetted.

Done it before. I'd do it again. I flew all the time prior to 9/11 when we didn't have all that stuff. Even post 9/11, they aren't actually very good at finding things ON PERSONS intending to do harm. It's all done elsewhere.

Ps....really??? people carrying loaded guns on planes....what they were going to do?..even if it was only one.....determined person to do a evil act, it's worth the entire system.

I don't know what they were going to do. There are a lot of people, with whom I don't agree, that carry guns for personal protection. I don't think it's necessary on a plane, but if they're carrying for self-defense, that's not intending to do harm. And we just don't know.

The rumour is Disney seciurty at WDW stopped 2 people with loaded guns, trying to get into the parks......it was not confirmed by WDW. So take it for what it's worth.

And? I guarantee you people have brought guns into WDW before all this. And nothing bad happened.

The world has had many terroist attacks including 3 planes downed. We are waiting how that one will shake out, but rigth now things are pointing to a terror attack.

LOL What "things?"

The fact we have these seciurty systems and as much of the rest of the world does not, the systems are preventing the terrorists from being successfull here.

The systems preventing terrorism here don't include the ones patting down grandma because she might be smuggling an AK-47 into Carousel of Progress.

So again....no theater at all.

Statistically, this is untrue.

They missed 95% in controlled tests, likely using methods one step beyond the bad guys.
Even so, the TSA is more of a deterrent than anything else. The nut jobs want a flawless job, not getting caught at a checkpoint.

MG

Again, these numbers lack context. 1400 loaded guns doesn't mean a thing if those guns weren't carried by individuals intending to use them to do harm. And 1843 guns stopped out of . . . how many? Unknown

Really doesn't matter how many were not caugth, but as I pointed out if only 1 was intending evil, that is enough. But still your view involves saying.....gee we don't know.....ok........that doesn't mean we stop trying to stay safe and to keep getting as many as possible.....not throw up your hands and say.......since we cannot get them all......let them all.brings weapons on planes or.into what ever venue.

Stopped them from carrying, but didn't necessarily stop them from carrying out a terrorist attack, because we don't KNOW that they were going to be used as such.

Very true, but that in no way means we should stop trying to prevent a terroirist event. Especailly just to save a.little.time in line somewhere.

All of which are far more effective, don't create new problems, and are unobtrusive.

You don't know if it actually does, statistically. But it obviously makes you FEEL better.

It is factual they have stopped many attacks since 9 11. The times square bomber just jumps to mind.

Done it before. I'd do it again. I flew all the time prior to 9/11 when we didn't have all that stuff. Even post 9/11, they aren't actually very good at finding things ON PERSONS intending to do harm. It's all done elsewhere.

And agian, this only points to the US seciurty systems are stopping the terrorist.

I don't know what they were going to do. There are a lot of people, with whom I don't agree, that carry guns for personal protection. I don't think it's necessary on a plane, but if they're carrying for self-defense, that's not intending to do harm. And we just don't know.

Fine carry for self protection, the right ends when it is nessassary to prevent a evil.minded person from carrying on a plane or into a venue.

And? I guarantee you people have brought guns into WDW before all this. And nothing bad happened.

Actually that is not totally.true, one fun was found in a log on slash Mountian when it fell.out of a guys pocket and one once accidently fired one round.

LOL What "things?" See post below

The systems preventing terrorism here don't include the ones patting down grandma because she might be smuggling an AK-47 into Carousel of Progress.

I love this type of point.....was it not just a few weeks ago in England a woman nanny beheaded a 4 year old girl and paraded the head around town....the answer is yes.

It doesn't matter who the.person is young old, race or.religion....terroriist will use anyone to kill those they want to kill.

I am sorry but your points are the only opinion here...no facts, just Theater and opinion.

I have given you facts , links, etc......

Seciurty is not perfect , but it is what we have for now. I have no problem waiting in line to help make everyone save. Remove the security and there will indeed be attacks fast.

There is no theater in that

Akk

Statistically, this is untrue.

Last edited:
Ps...things is being used here to reference the experts generall, but not confirmed fact as yet that a terrorist act.took down the Egyptian air fight.

By the way, I guess I should not put much support in the experts as they are the same experts, that were referenced in a post here, 2 days ago saying it was unlikely a terrorists would attack a.plane these days.

AKK

Does Disney Security even carry a weapon? I know most don't, but what about the undercovers?

The undercovers or a lot of them anyway are off duty orange county sheriffs. They carry weapons. Disney also has other undercover sources of security that carry firearms.

Ps...things is being used here to reference the experts generall, but not confirmed fact as yet that a terrorist act.took down the Egyptian air fight.

By the way, I guess I should not put much support in the experts as they are the same experts, that were referenced in a post here, 2 days ago saying it was unlikely a terrorists would attack a.plane these days.

AKK

IMHO, its not that terrorists don't want to down airliners (it gets big coverage in the news) but its not that they are going to use the same tactics that they used on 9/11 or the shoe bomber right now. Terrorists will stop using tactics that are known and for which defenses are in place. They will continue to probe for weaknesses, and shift their tactics when they find a weakness.

Sorry I am typing from a cell phone and my fingers are to big for the keys.

AKK
IMHO, its not that terrorists don't want to down airliners (it gets big coverage in the news) but its not that they are going to use the same tactics that they used on 9/11 or the shoe bomber right now. Terrorists will stop using tactics that are known and for which defenses are in place. They will continue to probe for weaknesses, and shift their tactics when they find a weakness.

Agreed. Except if they find they can use old tactics....if they find weaknesses that would make them possibly effective, they will go back to those 9 11 tactics. As well as new things

AKK

Now THIS is important.

LA Times said:
A jury on Thursday said movie theater chain Cinemark was not liable in the 2012 shooting at a multiplex in Aurora, Colo., that left a dozen people dead at a midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises."

Companies like Cinemark, Disney, MLB, NFL, etc... Have implemented screening they know to be ineffective just so they can have deniability against this type of case. Hey, we had screening. We did what we could! type of thing. If we had clear laws that say a company is not libel for random people committing violent acts it could go a long way towards bringing some sanity to security.

Now THIS is important.

Companies like Cinemark, Disney, MLB, NFL, etc... Have implemented screening they know to be ineffective just so they can have deniability against this type of case. Hey, we had screening. We did what we could! type of thing. If we had clear laws that say a company is not libel for random people committing violent acts it could go a long way towards bringing some sanity to security.

Except Disney screening and the others may very well have effective screening. I know nothing about the others but what I know of Disney is that they do a excellent job.

What we see going though the lines is only a small part of the overall screening and monitoring that goes on behind the scenes.

However, nothing is perfect.

AKK

Last edited:
They should go ahead and security screen people at the resorts before they get on the bus (or monorail). Then express entrance them in to the park while the non-Disney resort visitors deal with park security.

Except Disney screening and the others may very well have effective screening. I know nothing about the others but what I know of Disney is that they do a excellent job. However, nothing is perfect

AKK
No. They don't. It's a fiction. A live theater show for your consumption.
Your safety is not enhanced by what they do.

All they can do is stop people who have no intention of committing a crime from commenting a crime.
How well did these types of screening's work in the Brussels airport? They just attacked the screening point. Criminals and psychopaths don't follow the rules.

Now THIS is important.

I seriously doubt that Disney implemented ineffective screening just to cover themselves after the fact. Disney knows how empty their parks and resorts will be if something happens. I think they are trying to figure out their best way forward, without disrupting people's park enjoyment (not that they care about enjoyment, but a paid entrance). Right now, it's a 10-20 minute process to get in the park, really not that bad. I am sure they know their weak points and are trying to address them. I have noticed that at the congested areas outside the entrance, I typically see security with dogs going in and out of the crowds. Of course, there is some theater in all security---if nothing was checked, even the dumbest person could just walk in and start spraying bullets everywhere.

I seriously doubt that Disney implemented ineffective screening just to cover themselves after the fact. Disney knows how empty their parks and resorts will be if something happens. I think they are trying to figure out their best way forward, without disrupting people's park enjoyment (not that they care about enjoyment, but a paid entrance). Right now, it's a 10-20 minute process to get in the park, really not that bad. I am sure they know their weak points and are trying to address them. I have noticed that at the congested areas outside the entrance, I typically see security with dogs going in and out of the crowds. Of course, there is some theater in all security---if nothing was checked, even the dumbest person could just walk in and start spraying bullets everywhere.

Granted I'm over simplifying, but the key point you also make is that the purpose of the checkpoints is finical not safety.

Now THIS is important.

No. They don't. It's a fiction. A live theater show for your consumption.
Your safety is not enhanced by what they do.

All they can do is stop people who have no intention of committing a crime from commenting a crime.
How well did these types of screening's work in the Brussels airport? They just attacked the screening point. Criminals and psychopaths don't follow the rules.

Well you are entitled to your opinion....however I have posted the facts, details.and.links......we will have to agree to disagree

AKK

Exactly... Which is why we need to KEEP those defenses in place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter