I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And now AK is banned.

Hooooly moly. Killing the code sharing thread is really the only way around this.

AK was banned for exposing this? Feels like I'm missing something. Haven't had time to head over there to follow, so have been reading the reader's digest version from @Lain.

Well, as other users noted, some might view this as identity theft (vs. creating synthetic identities) or doxxing, which could lead to the entire subreddit being banned.

While this is news, it's hardly surprising considering the 120k CIP mailer codes were also hacked, generated, sold and resold.

DHs arrival plus went pending. He’s 4/24 but he opened a JB biz in October so thinking that’s why. He’s a mildly reluctant P2. They called him today saying they “needed more info”. He wants to call when I’m around. Any reason to hesistate calling back??

@WVMomof3

Check your Stariott account for the 29 ways contest points, someone posted on Reddit that they got the error on "wins" but points showed up in the account anyway. Maybe you'll still get something :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/a4k7n6/comment/ebfhmyu

Obviously way behind, but I don't see any points in my account but I also don't see any in DHs account either. Did everyone's points post already?

ETA - Ok, I see as of Sunday other people did not have points posted yet. Will keep reading to see other DPs.

Well, as other users noted, some might view this as identity theft (vs. creating synthetic identities) or doxxing, which could lead to the entire subreddit being banned.

While this is news, it's hardly surprising considering the 120k CIP mailer codes were also hacked, generated, sold and resold.

:crowded:

I'm really behind. Between chasing deals, holiday shopping, work, MSRs (now including a new Amex Rose Gold :thumbsup2), I haven't ventured over to reddit in more than a week (sounds ridiculous, but I do try to parse through once a day lol)...

But @Lain, since our CC paths have overlapped quite a bit this year, and I know you expressed your concerns about the pop-up, as a DP, I was pop-up free when I applied and was approved for the Amex Gold last week. You can refer to your spreadsheet to see how closely we map :D

I want to say my tuition out-of-state was about $17,000 in the mid-90s. That was part of the reason I went there over UPenn. I think UVA's tuition was about 60% of the University of Pennsylvania's. Now it's about 90%.

It was cheaper for me to go out of state to san francisco state than stay home and go to u of washington. I don't think the Cal state system is supported as well by tax dollars now as the late 90s so they are probably closer but UW is expensive for an in state public school. A lot of our community colleges are dropping the community from the name and are offering bachelors along with associates and certs. In some states it's another option if things transfer right. Seems so much more complicated to go and pay for school now than 20 years ago.

Thank you!

But ARGHHHHHHHHHH instant denial! First ever denial. 3 wasted pulls. P2 is 1/24, but was 5 inquiries on Ex (0 TU, 2 Eq). Maybe too many too recent, his CSP was just yesterday. Oddly, when I check the phone status, it says they're reviewing. Anyone ever experience an instant denial that changed to an approval (without recon)?

I'm still waiting on my Venture decision. I think I need to take a break. And to stay away from Cap One.... :crazy2:

Thank you!

But ARGHHHHHHHHHH instant denial! First ever denial. 3 wasted pulls. P2 is 1/24, but was 5 inquiries on Ex (0 TU, 2 Eq). Maybe too many too recent, his CSP was just yesterday. Oddly, when I check the phone status, it says they're reviewing. Anyone ever experience an instant denial that changed to an approval (without recon)?

I'm still waiting on my Venture decision. I think I need to take a break. And to stay away from Cap One.... :crazy2:
I heard Cap One is tough and all over the place. I’m guessing the inquiries? I have a Venture but I’ve had it forever and never tried to apply again (yet). Hate the 3 pulls, ugh

And FAFSA madness is only the beginning -- each college decides what they will do with the FAFSA data, and then many of them will request more of their own data.

Yes, the FAFSA ain't got nothing on the dumb CSS profiles. That are similar yet different for each school that requires it. And costs money! GRRRR Lets pay money to prove that we can't afford college. I strongly detest College Board. Between, SAT, AP tests and CSS they have gotten thousands of dollars from us. I was really hoping it was a one and done, but nope, must fill out all 4 years. We filled out plenty for oldest DD to apply to schools but she ultimately picked a University that didn't require it. But middle DD's school does require it.

:crowded:

I'm really behind. Between chasing deals, holiday shopping, work, MSRs (now including a new Amex Rose Gold :thumbsup2), I haven't ventured over to reddit in more than a week (sounds ridiculous, but I do try to parse through once a day lol)...

But @Lain, since our CC paths have overlapped quite a bit this year, and I know you expressed your concerns about the pop-up, as a DP, I was pop-up free when I applied and was approved for the Amex Gold last week. You can refer to your spreadsheet to see how closely we map :D

Same here. I don't think I posted on here in two days!

I've been on the fence whether to hit up Amex for my wife or myself any more before the end of the year. I've got a BGR burning in my wallet wanting its 20k MR referrals to be used this year!

I just don't think my wife is going to use the Amex Gold even if she's approved without the pop up. She eats out a lot, travels for work, so the CSR 3x is her go-to. She doesn't want to carry more cards. It took a lot just to get her to carry the CIU for "everything else," and she still doesn't consistently use the CIU for every other non-dining, non-travel charge. She won't use the Amex Gold just because it's pretty, because she doesn't want to have to worry about whether a restaurant, cafe, or food truck even takes Amex, and then whether they use Square because then it won't code 4x. She won't venture into Union Square just to buy a $10 Cheesecake Factory GC every month. I hate using these Amex credits on food delivery services, because the fees and tips pretty much eat up the value. So that potentially leaves $120 in value on the table. And she missed out on the AF waived first year offer, so we'd be paying a $250 AF. You see what I have to work with? And non-use of an Amex card is just going to land her back on the naughty list, if she's gotten off it at all.

So now I'm thinking I should just have my wife stick to Chase. She's at 2/24, with cards aging out in January and February. :-)

Then there's the BBP for me? I have to stick to biz cards, because I'm now at 5/24, waiting for 1 more to drop off in February, then I'll be let back into Chase's playground. Then I can cancel the Marriott Biz, hit up the CIU, maybe try for the United Biz (which would then be my 4th Chase biz card), before finishing off with the United Explorer and/or Hyatt? I was paying off some bills over the weekend, and noticed I had put quite a bit more spend on my new BGR than I expected (lots of Christmas shopping!). I thought I'd have to throw a big Plastiq payment onto the BGR, but with some upcoming expenses over the holidays, that'll put me over $4k, and I can finish the <$1k left on MSR with organic spend by January. But then do I throw Plastiq onto a new BBP? I don't know if I'm hitting Amex too hard. I've gotten the (1) MB Plat, (2) SPG Personal, (3) Hilton Biz, (4) Biz Plat, (5) Biz Green, (6) SPG Lux, (7) BGR, all this year. Do I want to push it with an 8th card only a month after getting the BGR?

It was cheaper for me to go out of state to san francisco state than stay home and go to u of washington. I don't think the Cal state system is supported as well by tax dollars now as the late 90s so they are probably closer but UW is expensive for an in state public school. A lot of our community colleges are dropping the community from the name and are offering bachelors along with associates and certs. In some states it's another option if things transfer right. Seems so much more complicated to go and pay for school now than 20 years ago.

The Cal States are still a bargain, even when comparing them to the UCs. Funding is an issue. Most of the kids I know from here are going to colleges all across the country. There are some who went the UC/CSU route, but not many from DD's elementary school or HS.

Yes, the FAFSA ain't got nothing on the dumb CSS profiles. That are similar yet different for each school that requires it. And costs money! GRRRR Lets pay money to prove that we can't afford college. I strongly detest College Board. Between, SAT, AP tests and CSS they have gotten thousands of dollars from us. I was really hoping it was a one and done, but nope, must fill out all 4 years. We filled out plenty for oldest DD to apply to schools but she ultimately picked a University that didn't require it. But middle DD's school does require it.

College Board just wants all your money. They make you pay to take the test. Then they make you pay to send the scores. We didn't fill out the FAFSA or CSS after running the NPCs, but my friend says FAFSA is easy but CSS felt more invasive than her colonoscopy!

Same here. I don't think I posted on here in two days!

I've been on the fence whether to hit up Amex for my wife or myself any more before the end of the year. I've got a BGR burning in my wallet wanting its 20k MR referrals to be used this year!

I just don't think my wife is going to use the Amex Gold even if she's approved without the pop up. She eats out a lot, travels for work, so the CSR 3x is her go-to. She doesn't want to carry more cards. It took a lot just to get her to carry the CIU for "everything else," and she still doesn't consistently use the CIU for every other non-dining, non-travel charge. She won't use the Amex Gold just because it's pretty, because she doesn't want to have to worry about whether a restaurant, cafe, or food truck even takes Amex, and then whether they use Square because then it won't code 4x. She won't venture into Union Square just to buy a $10 Cheesecake Factory GC every month. I hate using these Amex credits on food delivery services, because the fees and tips pretty much eat up the value. So that potentially leaves $120 in value on the table. And she missed out on the AF waived first year offer, so we'd be paying a $250 AF. You see what I have to work with? And non-use of an Amex card is just going to land her back on the naughty list, if she's gotten off it at all.

So now I'm thinking I should just have my wife stick to Chase. She's at 2/24, with cards aging out in January and February. :-)

Then there's the BBP for me? I have to stick to biz cards, because I'm now at 5/24, waiting for 1 more to drop off in February, then I'll be let back into Chase's playground. Then I can cancel the Marriott Biz, hit up the CIU, maybe try for the United Biz (which would then be my 4th Chase biz card), before finishing off with the United Explorer and/or Hyatt? I was paying off some bills over the weekend, and noticed I had put quite a bit more spend on my new BGR than I expected (lots of Christmas shopping!). I thought I'd have to throw a big Plastiq payment onto the BGR, but with some upcoming expenses over the holidays, that'll put me over $4k, and I can finish the <$1k left on MSR with organic spend by January. But then do I throw Plastiq onto a new BBP? I don't know if I'm hitting Amex too hard. I've gotten the (1) MB Plat, (2) SPG Personal, (3) Hilton Biz, (4) Biz Plat, (5) Biz Green, (6) SPG Lux, (7) BGR, all this year. Do I want to push it with an 8th card only a month after getting the BGR?

Your post addresses something I've been pondering. DH will fall back to 4/24 next spring. He wants that Hyatt card. He doesn't really like his CIP - something about the way the billing is showing up? I'm not sure. So I was going to ask about the CIU first before he is back at 5/24, but maybe we will just slow down and get that Hyatt card.

I hear you on meeting MSR quicker than usual this time of year. We were thinking about a huge Plastiq payment to meet the Biz Plat MSR and now it's going to be much smaller. I've been to the CCF you mentioned - nice views from the terrace up there but it's a pain to get to (not sure where you are starting from but we only go there when we happen to find ourselves downtown and can walk to it). Our local CFF closed this past year, and the 2 closest ones now are at 2 different malls we do not enjoy visiting. We'll probably use the cards at Shake Shake once, after it opens and once the crowds die down (assuming it will be a "thing" when it opens). We are really liking that extra 20% off in the first 3 months though. That helps with the AF and it's pretty easy for us to attain. DH's is done and mine is well on the way. Thanks for writing up your thoughts. It helps me to see what others are planning.

Obviously way behind, but I don't see any points in my account but I also don't see any in DHs account either. Did everyone's points post already?

ETA - Ok, I see as of Sunday other people did not have points posted yet. Will keep reading to see other DPs.

I just checked, still don't have mine.

I’m a longtime AU on my wife’s Freedom. She has some good 10% back offers on her Freedom (not to mention her CSR!) that could be used on GCs, but she may not get around to redeeming them before they expire soon. (And her idea of a weekend doesn’t involve me driving her from Staples, to OD/OM, to Lowe’s, to Walgreens to buy GCs.) I could use her primary card, but my experience has been there’s about a 1 in 4 chance I’ll be “carded” (to see that the credit card matches ID) when I buy GCs with a credit card. If I can trigger my wife’s primary card offers with my AU, that would save a lot of hassle (and some money).

For Chase I think you are good. My understanding of the way cardlytics works is they scrape your posted charges periodically to match the offers, rather than going through the card processors like AmEx and Rewards Network, etcs. So it shouldn't matter which card made the actual purchase since I see no way to distinguish AU charges from primary ones for Chase.

This sounds like my DH. I was entering transactions in YNAB one day when he looked over my shoulder and said "wow, why is our credit card bill so high?" It was when we were both spending on my SPG Biz to meet MSR and it was almost time to make a payment. I was like "ummm, that's just how much money we spend on expenses?" Apparently he has no idea what our monthly spending actually looks like lol.

Yeah, same here. I was telling him about 3k MSRs in 3 months and he's like " that's a lot!" and I'm like "um, unfortunately not really, should we discuss expenses?" :p
For many years we've been fortunate enough for him to be oblivious to necessary expenses. He knows they exist in the abstract but without it having to come from his paycheck directly he didn't get a feel for what that really meant with the way we divided it up.

Yeah still nothing here yet either, but thought you should know they might just appear at some point. Maybe it'll be a nice surprise :)

Your post addresses something I've been pondering. DH will fall back to 4/24 next spring. He wants that Hyatt card. He doesn't really like his CIP - something about the way the billing is showing up? I'm not sure. So I was going to ask about the CIU first before he is back at 5/24, but maybe we will just slow down and get that Hyatt card.

I hear you on meeting MSR quicker than usual this time of year. We were thinking about a huge Plastiq payment to meet the Biz Plat MSR and now it's going to be much smaller. I've been to the CCF you mentioned - nice views from the terrace up there but it's a pain to get to (not sure where you are starting from but we only go there when we happen to find ourselves downtown and can walk to it). Our local CFF closed this past year, and the 2 closest ones now are at 2 different malls we do not enjoy visiting. We'll probably use the cards at Shake Shake once, after it opens and once the crowds die down (assuming it will be a "thing" when it opens). We are really liking that extra 20% off in the first 3 months though. That helps with the AF and it's pretty easy for us to attain. DH's is done and mine is well on the way. Thanks for writing up your thoughts. It helps me to see what others are planning.

I think the CIU is worth getting for the 50k UR bonus (assuming it stays that high) and relatively low $3k MSR. It's also a solid everything else card at 1.5x UR/$1. The billing will be the same as the CIP though, which is notorious for charges showing as pending, then disappearing, before posting days later. I know Chase has been upgrading the Chase for Business interface, but I don't know if that's improved how charges post on their Ink Business cards. DH will need to be under 5/24 in order to be approved for any Chase cards now, since it appears all Chase cards are now subject to the 5/24 rule.

A strategy might be for DH to get the CIU once he's back to 4/24, which won't add to */24, then get any other biz cards that might interest him (the CIC for another 50k UR and 5x UR at office supply stores?), spacing your applications 2-3 months apart, then saving the Hyatt for when he's ready to break free of Chase.

Personally, once I'm back under 5/24, I'm going to try to milk that one slot for 3 or 4 cards (as I mentioned above, the CIU, maybe the United Biz, the United Explorer and/or the Hyatt on a possible modified double dip). Biz cards don't add to the count, so maybe I'll throw in the Amex BBP somewhere in there. That should keep me busy for the first half of 2019. And since my wife is 2/24, with 2 cards dropping off by March, I'll get her into the mix too.

Last edited:
Someone remind me... will a payment directly to Disney World count as travel for 3x on CIP? I booked all my Disney stuff for this year through Chase travel so it coded 3x with them, but I wasn't sure if that was specifically because my credit card charge said Chase Travel.

Quoting myself to see if anyone else maybe had an answer for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter